Worms in dogs is a widespread disease from which no pet is immune. Helminthiasis - the scientific name of the pathology, can occur suddenly and over the years does not manifest itself. All this time, the body of the animal is caused irreparable harm, and the dog is a source of danger for both other pets and people. In our article, we will take a detailed look at what worms are, possible ways of infection, how to find out about the infection of a pet, how to get rid of parasites and how to protect yourself and your children from infection.
Ways of infection
The danger of the disease is that the eggs of parasites are everywhere: in water, in the ground, on grass, in sand. They get there along with animal excrement. The larvae of worms ripen at 12-13 ° C and are not afraid of frost at all. Not even the most well-groomed dog is completely immune from the threat of infection - this can happen to every pet.
The main methods of infection:
- Street dirt. The dog can pick up the worms, drinking from a puddle or pond, licking street dirt from the wool or picking up something on the street. At home, animals become infected with worms through dirty master's shoes.
- In the womb or during breastfeeding. Puppies of dogs infected with helminthiasis can become infected directly in the womb or during breastfeeding. Therefore, it is so important to carry out deworming of pregnant animals.
- Insect parasites. Fleas are carriers of flatworm eggs.
Flat tape parasites develop in the dog's intestines. They stick to the intestinal wall with suction cups and damage its surface. Where the parasite worm attaches, an ulcer is formed. The offspring of the parasite is rapidly growing and developing. Some long worms can reach 8-9 meters. Gastrointestinal tract dogs become clogged with worms - this leads to exhaustion, a sad outcome is possible.
The most common infection comes from fleas, lice, lashing. Insect parasites swallow the eggs of the tapeworm, which begin to mature inside them. Cestode larvae enter the body of the pet along with a flea that is accidentally eaten. Dog intestines are an ideal environment for the development and reproduction of the parasite. The danger of the disease is that for several years it can be asymptomatic. All this time the dog is contagious.
Symptoms of infection with cestodes:
- Disturbed appetite.
- Depressed or agitated state.
- Vitamin B12 hypovitaminosis.
- There are signs of a violation of the gastrointestinal tract: vomiting, diarrhea, constipation.
- Pernicious anemia.
- Decreased skin elasticity.
- Chronic dermatitis.
- Nervous seizures.
- Excessively swollen belly on the background of the general depletion of the animal.
Roundworms parasitize the tissues and organs of the dog, most often susceptible to infection of the gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system (heartworms) and lungs (pulmonary worms). Nematodes are the most common helminths. Parasites penetrate the brain and heart, can break the intestinal wall or clog it completely, causing obstruction. The disease is deadly. Frequent cases of death from volvulus, necrosis and peritonitis.
Symptoms of infection with nematodes:
- The alternation of constipation and diarrhea. Diarrhea is unstoppable, yellow stools with mucus and in the blood. In the faeces are found pieces of worms or whole individuals.
- Vomiting. Attacks are irrepressible - the dog vomits worms.
- Increased appetite, while the dog is exhausted.
- The dog rubs his anus on the floor, continuously pulls his teeth to the tail.
- Food perversions - the dog eats the ground, gnaws the boards.
- Dermatitis and allergic reactions.
- Development lag in young animals.
- Swollen belly on the background of the general exhaustion of puppies.
- Sudden violent cough.
Trematodes are parasites localized in the liver and bile ducts of dogs. Infection of a pet occurs through water, raw fish or seafood. The parasite is attached to the internal organs with its suckers. Mature individuals breed quickly and reach sizes of 20 cm.
The danger of infection is that due to the activity of worms, the integrity of the bile ducts is disturbed, which hampers the natural outflow of bile and pancreatic secretions. As a result, dogs develop cirrhosis, jaundice and other inflammatory phenomena. Death is not excluded.
Symptoms of trematodes:
- Enlarged liver palpation.
- A series of diarrhea and constipation.
- Unstoppable vomiting.
- Labored breathing.
- Increased body temperature.
- Nervous seizures.
For all types of infection in dogs, a blurred clinical picture is observed. Parasites can long-term asymptomatic multiply in the body of a beloved pet, so it is important to be tested for worms and carry out timely anti-parasitic treatment of the animal.
All pet owners are concerned about the question - how to understand that the dog has worms? When a dog has at least one of the above symptoms, you should immediately collect a sample of fecal masses and take it to the analysis of feces. The collection of analyzes is carried out with a disposable spatula or spoon. The collected material is placed in a plastic container with a tight lid.
The sample can be stored for some time in the refrigerator, but it is best to deliver it to the clinic as soon as possible. If necessary, the veterinarian may order a re-collection of fecal analysis. To eliminate the "false-negative" result, you will need to collect fecal samples for three days in a row.
To make a diagnosis, a doctor will need to study the history: habitat and animal habits, diet. Sometimes the owner can detect the worms themselves or their parts in the pet's feces - this must also be reported to the veterinarian.
Drugs from worms for dogs
Treatment from internal parasites is carried out both after the diagnosis of helminthiasis and for prevention. Animals that are on natural nutrition, de-worming is carried out 4 times a year. For dogs that eat dry food, the processing frequency is 2 times a year.
Always give anthelmintic drugs in the following cases:
- if vaccination is to be done
- 14-15 days before mating,
- simultaneously with the appointment of drugs from external parasites.
Preparations for worms are classified according to several criteria:
- principle of action
- on active ingredient
- release form
- depending on the directional action.
- Preparations with a paralytic effect contain substances that affect the nervous system of worms, paralyzing it. This group includes: "Pirantel", "Albendazole", "Praziquatel", etc.
- Drugs that have a destructive effect on the outer shell of the worm: "Linteks", "Biltricid".
- Drugs with substances that violate the metabolism of the worms: "Naftamon", "Mebendazole", "Aminoacrichtin".
Classification by release form
- Worm tablets for dogs.
- Capsules - hollow enteric shell with active active ingredient.
- Solutions for internal use.
- Candles that are inserted into the anus.
It is necessary to use antihelmintic drugs exactly as prescribed by a veterinarian who will tell which pills are better.
How to give your dog a tablet of worms
For more effective deworming, the following rules should be observed:
- You can buy drugs only in specialized zoo drugstores,
- observe the recommendations of the veterinarian,
- specify the shelf life of the drug,
- find out all the available contraindications and carefully study the annotation to the drug,
- the type of helminths must be determined by laboratory,
- the form of the medicinal product (tablets, suspensions, injections, drops on withers) should be chosen by a veterinarian,
- For the greatest effectiveness of treatment, a second dose is taken 2 weeks after the first dose of the drug,
- before giving a cure for worms, anti-parasitic treatment for fleas is carried out,
- helminth drugs are very toxic, so it is advisable to use them only after conducting laboratory tests,
- to reduce the toxic effects of drugs and protect the liver give hepatoprotectors ("Hepatovit", "Legafiton", "Kars", etc.),
- it is necessary to ensure that the animal has completely eaten the medicine,
- Do not bathe the dog for 2 hours after applying the medicine on withers.
Prices for drugs for anthelmintic treatment of dogs
- Agrovetzashchita Alben C, 6 tablets, from 100 to 110 rubles,
- Milprazon, 2 tablets, from 297 to 315 rubles,
- Api-San Prazitsid-suspension Plus, 10 ml, from 145 to 150 rub.,
- Novartis Milbemaks, 2 tablets, from 530 to 540 rubles,
- Drontal (Bayer) Plus, 1 tablet, 332 rubles,
- Api-San Dirofen-suspension - a remedy for worms for dogs, 10 ml, 175 rub.,
- Gelmintal, 10 ml, from 280 to 300 rubles,
- Tsestal plus, 1 tablet, from 100 to 110 rubles,
- Api-San Prazitsid-suspension Plus, 10 ml, from 149 to 155 rub.,
- Levamisole - injection of worms, 50 ml, from 50 to 75 rubles,
- Euracon Pharma Cannavtel Plus XL, 12 tablets, from 1750 to 1900 rub.
- Advocate (Lawyer), 1 pipette, from 350 to 370 UAH.,
- Kanikantel Plus (Caniquantel Plus), 1 tablet, from 30 to 32 UAH,
- Procox (Procox) - suspension, 7.5 ml, from 190 to 195 hrn.,
- Profender (Profender), 1 tablet, from 45 to 47 UAH,
- Dironet, 6 tablets, from 99 to 105 UAH,
- Prazitsid Suspension Plus (Api-San), 10 ml, from 49 to 50 UAH,
- Palladium GOLDEN DEFENSE, 1 pipette, 125 UAH,
- Milbemaks (Milbemax), 2 tablets, from 109 to 110 UAH.,
- Bioveta Caniverm - for puppies, 1 tablet, from 28 to 29 UAH,
- Levamisole - for injection, 10 ml, from 7 to 9 UAH.,
- Livisto Aniprazol (Aniprazol), 1 tablet, from 67 to 69 UAH.
Folk remedies for worms
These funds are usually treated at home. The first thing you need to know about folk recipes - they do not have proven effectiveness. The second thing that is important to remember is that many of the popular recipes can harm your pet.
Means of traditional medicine:
- Celandine. Traditional medicine is positioning this plant as the best remedy for worms. In fact, it is a very poisonous plant. Poisoning with celandine causes animal convulsions. Death is possible.
- Garlic. For dogs, garlic is toxic. Do not poison your pet.
- Bow. In folk recipes use onion juice. Onions are dangerous for worms, but even more dangerous for dogs.
- Sagebrush. Some recipes use alcohol tincture of wormwood - this is a very risky method. Alcohol is very toxic, and wormwood is a poisonous herb. It is difficult to predict how the dog's body will react to such a dangerous mixture.
- Raw pumpkin seed. The only folk remedy that will not harm the dog. It is effective only against cestodes. If infected with other parasites, it is useless to feed the dog with pumpkin seeds. Recommended dosage: 5 gr. seeds on 4-5 kg of animal weight. Seeds are given in peeled and pounded form. The powder is mixed with sunflower oil or melted fat. To achieve the greatest effect you need to give this tool for at least 5 days in a row.
- Decoction of fennel and chamomile. Traditional medicine proposes to replace the water with this broth. The problem is that the dog will not drink this liquid. This method is only suitable for people.
- Infusion of tansy. Water infusion of this plant will not harm the dog, but its effectiveness has not been proven.
- Carrot. Carrot juice inhibits the nervous system of worms, but you need to enter it with an enema. It is not harmful to give a dog such juice, but it is useless - the carrot juice is digested in the stomach. Juice is used only fresh, heated to 37.5-38.5 ° C.
Remember that all folk remedies do not have proven effectiveness:
- they have not been tested in control groups,
- they do not know the contraindications
- their effectiveness is not proven
- allergic reactions and individual intolerance are possible.
Do not forget about it, deciding what to give the dog: a means from a veterinary pharmacy or folk.
Review of the best drugs and worms tablets for dogs
Helminths can settle in the gastrointestinal tract (roundworm, lentets, dirofilaria, etc.), and in the heart and lungs of the animal.
The main active ingredients in anthelmintic drugs are such substances as: ivermectin, albendazole, praziquantel, pyrantel, fenbendazol, etc. They are produced in the form of tablets, suspensions or drops on withers.
Available in the form of tablets, which are packaged in blisters of 3 or 6 pieces. In the sale comes in cardboard boxes.
There are two types of drugs:
- Azinoks. The active component is praziquantel (50 mg in 1 tab.). Effective only against tapeworms.
- Azinoks plus. The composition includes praziquantel and tetramisole. Destroys and tape, and round worms.
Azinoks dosage is calculated as follows: for every 10 kg of mass - 1 table. Average cost - from 90 to 180r., Depending on the number of tablets and composition.
The drug is in the form of round tablets with a yellow tinge. Each contains 0.144 grams of pyrantel, as well as 50 mg of praziquantel. The drug Pratel is packaged in blisters of 10 pcs. On sale goes in the company boxes supplied with the instruction.
The medicine destroys adult tapeworms and roundworms and their larvae. For every 10 kg of body weight the dog is fed 1 table. The average price of a package of 10 tables. - 450-550r.
Febtal is a drug that contains the fenbendazole component (0.150 g per tablet). It is also available in the form of a suspension, which has the name Febtal combo.
In liquid form, the active ingredients are praziquantel and albendazole. Both forms effectively destroy both round and tapeworms and their larvae.
Give the medicine to dogs in the following dosage:
- little puppies at the age of more than 21 days - one tablet per 3000 grams of weight,
- adult dogs - one tablet per 1500 grams of weight,
- liquid form - 1 ml per kilogram of weight, but if the pet weighs less than 500 grams, it is fed only 0.3 ml of the suspension, diluted in a small amount of water.
The price of packing antihelminthic tablets (6 pcs.) Varies from 140 to 160r. One bottle of suspension (7 or 10 ml) has a cost of 120-150 rubles.
Tablets, which included febantel, praziquantel and pyrantel. Available in two dosages: Drontal Plus and Drontal Plus XL. The drug is effective against round and tapeworms.
The dosage is calculated as follows:
- Drontal Plus (febantel - 150 mg, praziquantel - 50 mg, pyrantel - 144 mg). For every 10 kg of weight give 1 table.
- Drontal Plus XL (febantela - 525 mg, praziquantel - 175 mg, pyrantel - 504 mg). For every 35 kg give 1 table. This form is convenient for deworming very large animals.
To do this, the right amount of the drug is crushed and mixed with a small amount of warm water. This mixture must be quickly given to the dog.
The cost of a pack of Drontal Plus (6 tab.) Is 800-900r. The medicine with the prefix XL have a price of 500-650r. (in a pack of 2 pcs.).
The tablets having yellow color of a different shade. One dragee includes: febantel (150 mg), praziquantel (50 mg) and pyrantel (144 mg). Also included in the flavors, through which dogs willingly eat medicine.
Anthelmintic agent is effective for helminth infections caused by tapeworms and roundworms. It can be used to treat dogs older than 1 month. For every 10 kg take 1 table. Available in blisters of 10 pcs. One pack has a cost of 200-250 rubles.
Dirofen drug is available in several forms:
- Anthelmintic tablets 120 mg each (for puppies), 200 mg (for medium breeds) and 1000 mg (for large animals). The composition included praziquantel, febantel and pyrantel.
- Paste (Dirofen 20 and Dirofen 60). The composition includes pyrantel, praziquantel, pumpkin seed oil and auxiliary components. 5, 6, 7 and 10 ml syringes are on sale.
- Suspension (Dirofen 20 and Dirofen 60) for injection and injection. The composition is similar to the paste. Available in bottles for 5, 6, 7, 10, 15 and 30 ml.
The dosage is calculated according to the weight of the dog. Tablets: 120 mg - 1 pc. per 1000 g, 200mg - 1 pc. per 5000 g, 1000 mg - 1 pc. on 20 kg. Paste and suspension: 20 - 1 ml per 1000 g, 60 - 1 ml per 3000 g.
The average price of packaging depends on the dosage and can vary from 150 to 200r. Paste and suspension have a cost of 150-200 rubles.
Available in small oval pills. The active ingredients are milbemycin oxime and praziquantel. Available in blisters of 2, 4, 10, 20, 50 or 100 pcs.
There are two dosages of the drug:
- For little ones dogs and puppies. At 5 kg of weight give 1 pc.
- For medium and large animals. For every 25 kg give 1 tab.
Milbemaks should not be given to dogs of the following breeds: collie, sheltie, bobtail. There is also an age limit. Puppies can be given medication only when they are 2 weeks old.
The cost of packing 2 tablets for small dogs is 450-500 rubles, for large animals - 700-750 rubles.
The drug is a broad-spectrum, designed to destroy the tape, flat and roundworms in the dog's body. Fenbendazole and praziquantel act as active substances in Canikvantel Plus.
Available in several forms:
- Canquantel Plus. Dosage - tablet for every 10 kg of weight. Available in boxes (6 or 24 tablets. In each). The cost, respectively, 550-650r. or 2000-2200r.
- Canquantel Plus XL. Этот препарат дают по 1 табл. на 20 кг веса. Продается поштучно или в коробочках по 12 табл. Средняя цена упаковки – 2500р., 1 шт. – 200-230р.
- Каниквантел Плюс гель. Один шприц для прививки предназначен для собаки весом 12 кг. В одной коробочке содержится 3 шприца с противоглистным препаратом.
Средняя цена упаковки – 1500р.
Tablets containing albendazole (250 mg) and azinox (25 mg).
Alben goes on sale in blisters of 3 or 6 tables. The cost depends on the number of tablets and varies from 90 to 150 rubles. The drug is effective against round and tapeworms.
Dogs are fed a dose of 1 tab. on 5 kg of weight.
Drops that contain moxidectin and imidacloprid. Designed to combat external blood-sucking parasites and internal round worms. Lawyer is also used to prevent dirofilariasis.
Available in multiple dosages (in one pack of 3 pipettes):
- Pipette 0.4 ml. Used for processing dogs whose weight does not exceed 4 kg. Packing price - 900-1200 rubles.
- Pipette 1 ml. For animals from 4 to 10kg. The cost of the pack - 1200-1400r.
- 2.5 ml pipette For pets weighing from 10 to 25kg. Packing price - 1500-1600 rubles.
- Pipette 4 ml. For large dogs weighing from 25 to 40kg. The cost of the box - 1800-2000r.
Almost all anthelmintic drugs are effective against tape and round worms, but some of them also affect flatworms and dirofilaria. Before choosing a drug, you must familiarize yourself with the contraindications, since many drugs have limitations in use.
The greatest danger worms provide for the young - puppies infected with parasites, can die in 2-3 weeks. Therefore, preventive measures should be started as early as possible, without waiting for the symptoms. Do not reassure yourself that the litter is kept sterilely clean - all puppies can become infected in the womb, through her milk or directly.
The first dose of the anthelmintic drug is given to puppies at three weeks of age. When choosing a product, pay attention to how old it is. Only special preparations for puppies will do; this should be indicated in the annotation to the medicine. Liquid forms are preferable, since tablets are difficult to divide by weight, they are poorly eaten by children.
Before deworming carry out weighing - do not exceed the recommended dose. Repeated reception of the same means is carried out 10 days before the first vaccination. Exceed the recommended amount and frequency of deworming is not worth it - these drugs have a strong toxic effect on animals. How often to poison the worms will tell you the vet.
Also without fail, anthelmintic drugs are given to bitches and dogs before being viscous. Lactating animals need to handle nipples to prevent offspring infection. For prophylactic purposes, anthelmintic drugs are prescribed twice a year for dogs fed with industrial foods. Animals receiving natural food - 4 times a year.
- Do not let go of the animal on samovigul. Always be near and watch him while walking so that the dog cannot drink water from a puddle or an open reservoir, eat garbage and other animal excreta.
- Prevent from lice and fleas, which are carriers of eggs of internal parasites. Along with taking medications for worms, give remedies for external parasites.
- Do not give dogs raw fish, especially freshwater.
Is the danger of worms in dogs for humans?
The main question that worries pet owners is whether worms are transmitted from dog to person? Parents of young children are especially worried about this. No one wants to darken the joy of communicating with an animal in such an unpleasant and even dangerous moment. This question is often heard in the vet's office.
The first thing to remember is that not all types of dog worms are dangerous to humans. The second is that most of the parasites are not able to develop in an unnatural habitat for themselves. Third, the parasites are transmitted from pets to humans by the faecal-oral route, that is, through the mouth. The eggs of sexually mature females of helminths are excreted with dog excrement. They can remain on the animal's fur or objects. Children and adults who do not observe personal hygiene may accidentally swallow them.
What can a person get sick
- Echinococcosis. The disease causes the parasite Echinococcus granulosus, which lives in the small intestine of a dog. The most susceptible are children who are too closely in contact with pets. The helminth larva cannot develop inside a person, it migrates through the body and settles in the liver or lungs. A cyst forms around it, which has been growing for several years. Symptoms of infection appear too late, when the cyst reaches a large size - it is an ongoing cough, pain in the chest or abdomen, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Severe allergies and anaphylactic shock - signs of violation of the integrity of the cyst.
- Toksokaroz. Pathogen - helminth Toxocara canis. The larvae of the parasite spread through the bloodstream throughout the body. They can settle in the eyes - ocular toxocariasis. In the lungs, liver and central nervous system - visceral toxocarosis. Complications depend on the form of the disease: loss of vision, pneumonia, cirrhosis of the liver.
- Alveococcosis. The causative agent is the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis. A very common disease that affects any internal organs. Patients lose weight, feel general weakness. In advanced cases develop cirrhosis of the liver, inflammation of the biliary tract. Death is possible.
- Zenuroz. The disease is caused by tapeworm larvae. Around the larvae formed cysts - tsenury. The clinic is manifested in different ways. It all depends on where the cyst is located. In the spinal cord - paralysis of the lower extremities. Brain - migraine, weakness, loss of consciousness and convulsions. In the eyes - a decrease and complete loss of vision. Cysts in the brain are a common cause of death.
- Dipilidiosis. Dipylidium caninum tapeworm causes disease. When a parasite penetrates the intestine, an adult individual grows from it. Symptoms: diarrhea, itching, rash, pain in the abdomen. In advanced cases, intestinal obstruction is possible.
To prevent all these dangerous diseases, you can strictly follow the rules of personal hygiene and pet hygiene: clean the dog's location, wash your hands with soap after each contact with an animal and before eating, cover children's sandboxes, do not allow children to play in places where dogs walk.