The cat will begin to prepare for childbirth in 60-65 days from the time of mating. The attentive owner will immediately notice the changes in the behavior of his pregnant pet, which will indicate that kittens will soon be born. Understand that the cat is going to give birth, you can 1-3 days before giving birth on such grounds:
- The cat begins to look for a convenient place for childbirth. She often lingers in secluded places (under the beds, sofas), can climb into the closet and bury herself in things. The animal being around itself is raked in by itself, as if it were setting up a cozy nest.
- Behavior is changing. Its features depend on the character: some cats become too gentle, require constant attention to themselves, actively “talk” with the owner, as if asking him for help and protection. Some, on the contrary, become aggressive, avoid people, do not allow to touch themselves.
- The mammary glands change. Before a cat has to give birth, her mammary glands are enlarged, they become painful.
- The cat becomes more clean. Shortly before lambing, the cat begins to lick itself thoroughly in the area of the external genital organs, making it countless times a day.
- Change in appetite. A sign that indicates that the cat will give birth today - refusal to eat, even from the most beloved.
- Reduced temperature. A characteristic feature that indicates that the generic process will begin during the day - a decrease in rectal temperature to 37 ° C.
- Discharge of cork. One to two hours before delivery, mucous discharge appears from the vagina, but due to the fact that the cat often licks, this sign can be overlooked.
What you need to prepare for childbirth
Every owner whose cat is about to give birth should get ready for this event. Especially carefully you need to prepare if the cat will give birth for the first time: it is not known what complications will be faced during childbirth. A home favorite may require help from its owner, so care must be taken to have such items in the house.:
- soft disposable diaper,
- antiseptic solutions: chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate solution, green paint,
- gauze sterile wipes,
- clean pieces of cotton fabric
- small syringe,
- sterile medical gloves.
Be sure to equip the nest, in which the cat should give birth, and then feed their kittens. To do this, use a cardboard box or a ready-made house bought at a pet store. At the bottom of the house or box put oilcloth, then a soft cloth, on top - disposable diaper. The house needs to be shown to the cat in advance so that it gets used to it. Put the future housing of the nursery in a warm secluded place, but you can not have it close to the heating appliances.
If the owner has seen the signs of a cat's birth and knows for sure that she is going to give birth in the next 24 hours, it is necessary to notify the veterinarian so that he can come on the first call. This is necessary in case of an emergency, when the animal may need the help of a specialist. Usually difficulties may arise in pedigree cats that give birth for the first time. Outbred cats are easier to tolerate this process, most likely, the owner will not have to do anything - the pet will cope perfectly well.
How come and go childbirth
If the owner has seen signs that his cat is beginning to give birth, you should not leave somewhere, and be close to your pet, so that if necessary, come to her aid. The delivery takes place in several stages; there is no need to intervene in the birth process without the need to. There is no need to check every minute whether a cat is giving birth, because anxiety and nervousness can irritate an animal. Watching the pet should be invisible.
Stages of labor:
- Preparatory. The cat starts contractions in the form of tension and undulating movements of the abdomen.
- Onset of labor. The fetal bladder bursts, the waters drain, the animal begins to push. From the moment of discharge of the waters and before the birth of the first kitten, it may take several hours.
- Childbirth. Babies are born. Each kitten should appear within 10-15 minutes, this time includes the appearance of its head and the complete exit from the womb of the mother. If there is a delay that lasts more than half an hour - you need to urgently call the veterinarian. The cat gnaws through the umbilical cord, eats the last, licks the kitten. The break between the births of babies - from 15 minutes to several hours.
When the cat has given birth to all the kittens, she starts to fulfill her maternal duties. If there are no deviations in the health of the animal and the kittens, the veterinarians do not give special recommendations for the care - all that is needed, the cat will do, guided by the maternal instinct. The task of the owner is to provide his darling with proper nutrition and peace.
What you need to know about pregnancy cats?
The gestation period of a cat is not as long as that of a person. On average, it is about 65 days. Traditionally, it is customary to start counting from the day of mating of an animal. However, in fact, conception occurs a couple of days after mating. It is also worth noting that the duration of gestation of the fetus in cats may differ depending on the breed. For example, long-haired breeds have a longer gestation period, up to 72 days. Shorthair cats usually bear kittens for no longer than 68 days. Moreover, the number of babies can affect the length of the gestation period. If the cat has more than three kittens, then the birth may come prematurely. If the number of kittens does not exceed three, the period of gestation, on the contrary, may be delayed.
During pregnancy, a cat, of course, must be looked after. The first thing to do is to equip the place where the animal lives. A cat should have a comfortable couch in which it will be warm and cozy. In addition, it is very important to choose the right diet for the animal. Food must contain all the necessary vitamins and mineral complexes that are important both for the expectant mother and for the kitten. Do not forget about regular checkups at the vet. Often a veterinarian makes recommendations for taking vitamins and other beneficial substances.
At a later date, you can see that the cat's tummy takes the form of a pear. Moreover, you can even see the movement of the kittens inside. On such simple grounds, it is easy to determine that the cat is pregnant. At this particular time, special care of the animal should be initiated and all necessary measures should be taken to ensure a comfortable pregnancy.
Often the owners in the early gestation period of the cat, noting the unusual behavior of the pet, cannot immediately understand what is happening to her. In this case, you can take the animal to the veterinarian, who can determine whether the cat is pregnant or not by palpation. However, it is important to understand that the presence of fruits can be felt only 20 days after conception. It is forbidden to try to feel the pregnancy yourself, it is possible to injure an immature fetus with inexperienced movements, which will seriously harm the health of the future kitten and the cat itself.
Signs of imminent labor
A person who does not have much experience in keeping cats will have a hard time understanding when the cat is ready to give birth. Of course, there are various signs and physiological manifestations that make it possible to understand that labor activity will soon occur, however, not everyone knows about them. It should also be borne in mind that, like in humans, animals also have an individual organism. For this reason, in some animals, signs of labor appear a week before delivery, while others show a couple of hours. However, if you notice any manifestations, you should begin to prepare for early childbirth.
The main signs of impending labor activity are:
- Strong changes in the mood of the cat. At your pet, you can note the expressed anxiety, nervousness, which can manifest itself in different ways. Some cats may even have some aggressiveness before giving birth. Some cats before giving birth are very negative about the approach of people, especially if someone tries to touch the stomach. In other cases, on the contrary, the animal simply does not move away from its owner and simply goes after it absolutely everywhere. Such changes may occur even a half to two weeks before the labor.
- When the cat begins to feel that she will soon give birth, she begins to look for a place that is cozy and hidden from prying eyes. You can see how the animal climbs into various hidden corners or just rushing around the apartment. Often, during such a period, cats will climb into cabinets, bedside tables, and look for a convenient place around the battery. Such behavior should be for the owner to signal the need to assist the pet. In such a situation, you can purchase a special bed for the cat at the pet store or prepare yourself a cozy place from scrap materials. Many owners simply find a large spacious cardboard box in which a blanket is placed. In the box, the cat will feel cozy, hidden from prying eyes. The main thing is that the place was soft, cozy, warm and clean. It is important to periodically clean such a cat's corner, so that garbage does not accumulate in it.
- Immediately before giving birth, you can notice a swollen chest in a cat. In addition, before the very generic activity begins to stand out colostrum. Such signs are a sure signal that the cat will give birth very soon.
By these signs, you can roughly understand when exactly the cat will give birth. In general, it is desirable to begin to monitor and care for animals at the very beginning of pregnancy. This will help to prepare more thoroughly and avoid stress, both for the animal itself and for the owner who will be worried about the animal.
Signs of upcoming childbirth
The owner will easily determine that the cat's birth is approaching and she is about to lamb herself.
- Relaxation and lengthening of the pelvic ligaments - the animal has a slightly wobbling gait, it hardly jumps on the furniture, is inactive, the stomach hangs down strongly and seems to be shifted to the hind legs.
- Recession sacrum - the lower part of the spine, the back area next to the tail.
- The increase and swelling of the genital slitredness is sometimes observed.
- Discharge of mucus plug - a transparent clot of mucus. Re-giving birth cats often lick up before childbirth, so the discharge of the cork is imperceptible. The first time giving birth to the pet owner will see a little bit of mucus under the tail.
- Breast enlargement, colostrum production - yellowish thick liquid (not always).
- Discharge from the genital slit fluid without color and smell - amniotic fluid.
- Decrease in body temperature - Ears and paw tips cold about a day before the start of labor.
- Behavior change. The active animal becomes calm and calm, on the contrary - nervous. The cat begins to look for a place where she can give birth. She rushes about the house, sometimes screams and hisses. The place not always found by her is a nest prepared by man. She is able to hide behind a wardrobe, under a sofa, go out into the street, hide in an economic building. This is highly undesirable, because in this case it will be difficult for her to help if necessary. Therefore, noticing the signs of a developing pregnancy, the owner needs to accustom the cat to a place that will become its nest during and after childbirth.
- Refusal from food and drink. Occurs somewhere a day before the animal is about to give birth.
How to calculate the term of delivery?
For convenience, the cat owner must mark the date of the cat mating and count from it for 55 days. From this day, one should carefully look at the animal and note the slightest changes in its behavior or appearance.
Pregnancy of a domestic cat lasts on average 58 days, but pregnancy prolongation up to 65 days is considered normal. Golosherstnye cats (Canadian and Don sphinxes, peterbaldy) bear offspring up to 72 days, and this is also a variant of the norm. At the same time representatives of short-haired breeds give birth before long-haired.
The more kittens in the uterus, the sooner the birth will occur, so if the results of the ultrasound of the fetus are more than 5, they will surely be born on days 55-57, and if less than three, they will be in the womb of the mother up to 63-65 days.
Professional breeders keep a calendar of pregnancy for their pets, marking the beginning of the hunt, the dates of the main and control breeding, the end of the hunt, the appearance of the first signs of pregnancy, the dates and the results of the veterinary ultrasound.
If the cat is free-range and the date of the mating is unknown, then you should remember when the pet came into the sex hunt, as they say, "spree" or began to "ask the cat."
Knitting usually occurs on the 2-3 day of the hunt. From this date should be calculated. By the way, if a cat is not tribal, that is, it is not a member of the club, is not a participant of exhibitions and does not have access to breeding, then its offspring is considered outbred and it will be difficult to attach it.
Such cats are recommended to be neutered in order to avoid exhaustion of the body by childbirth and in order to control the number of outbred and neglected animals. Pregnancy is not a contraindication for castration. The animal easily tolerates veterinary surgery, even in the last weeks of pregnancy.
Why would the owner know the date of birth of the cat?
Many owners who are ignorant of the issues of felinology - the science of the maintenance and breeding of cats, are convinced that childbirth is a natural process in which it is better not to interfere, and the animal will instinctively figure it out.
Childbirth is indeed a natural phenomenon, but not always young domestic animals are born easily and without problems.
The domestic cat is far in its morphological and genetic characteristics from its ancient ancestor, from the wild representatives of the cat family. She leads a measured, well-fed and calm lifestyle, so her innate instincts are dulled.
Many cats, especially representatives of artificially bred breeds, need help with the birth of kittens and the care of them.
Therefore, pets need help in the process of giving birth to babies, and some even need help in mating, as their instincts are reduced.
How to cook a nest for a cat?
The nest is the place where the cat gives birth and nurses the kittens. Kittens are there for 1-1.5 months. It is best to use a cardboard box without odors. Boxes from strongly scented household, paint and varnish, perfumery products will cause rejection in an animal.
Boxes of fragrant food - sausages, cheeses, fish - are also not suitable. Cardboard should not smell anything.
At the bottom of the box you need to put a few waterproof diapers - veterinary, pediatric or surgical. In the process of childbirth, one or two of them will be wetted and smeared with amniotic fluid, mucus, and blood.
Dirty and wet diapers will need to be removed and left clean and dry. It is desirable that those diapers that were already at the bottom of the box at the time of delivery remain, as they will have the smell of a cat, and she will not be nervous about changing the litter.
Cat houses as a nest are not suitable. They will be difficult to wash off mucus and blood. In addition, in the house it is difficult to observe the giving birth pet and assist it.
If there is no nest, the kitty can sit in the closet on the clothes, in the sofa on the bedding or on the kitchen table. Then there she will bring born offspring, risking to destroy the litter.
When should I go to the vet?
How to determine that the birth was delayed, took a pathological form and the animal needs help?
It is necessary to call a doctor at home or deliver to him a laboring animal, if:
- More than 24 hours have passed since the beginning of labor, and not all kittens were born during this time.
- Attempts are strong and frequent, and the kitten does not leave the birth canal for more than half an hour.
- The second period of labor lasts more than 12 hours.
- There is abundant bleeding, discharge of green, brown, yellow flowers with an unpleasant odor.
- Not all placentas were born.
- Cat unconscious.
In no case should not follow the advice of those who have no veterinary or at least zootechnical education, or is not a professional cat breeder.
Sometimes ignorant people give advice, monstrous in their stupidity, and the owners, losing their head from the excitement for their darling, follow them:
- It is impossible to inject the hormone oxytocin to stimulate labor. Strong contractions after an injection often lead to rupture of the uterus and death of a cat from bleeding.
- Do not enter no-silo to relax the cervix. It often leads to paresis of the hind limbs, that is, to the disruption of their motor function - paralysis. The nature of this pathology is neurological, difficult to remove. The animal can remain permanently disabled or it will take a long time to treat the vet.
- You can not give a cat vodka as an anesthesia, or as anything else. Alcohol is the strongest toxin, poison for animals!
- You can not press on the stomach, pull the kitten by the head or paws, expand the cat's vagina with your fingers or tools. Все эти манипуляции могут привести к разрыву родовых путей, выпадению матки, гибели помета и матери из-за кровотечения и повреждения внутренних органов.
Реальную помощь матери и помету может оказать только ветеринарный врач. Поэтому вместо экспериментов над животным, нужно обратиться за квалифицированной помощью.
Состояние кошки перед родами
Attentive owner, creating the right care for your pet, will definitely notice the characteristic changes in the condition of the pregnant cat, which is manifested by special signs 7-10 days before giving birth.
If your cat is pregnant for the first time, and you do not know at all how to determine the approximation of the birth process in an animal, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the frequently encountered symptoms indicating that the cat should give birth very soon.
The first signs of approaching labor:
- the cat searches for hiding places in the house and drags various rags there,
- 4-5 days before lambing she becomes nervous, restless and even a little aggressive,
- the appetite worsens, the cat can eat often, but in small portions,
- after eating meowing loudly
- drinks a lot of water.
The cat pulls rags to a certain place in the house for a reason. It is there that she is going to give birth to her offspring. The owner can take part in the preparation process and install a roomy box in the place chosen by the cat, at the bottom of which soft fabrics should be laid.
Important: cats choose quiet places for delivery, away from the hustle and bustle, where there is no bright light and high traffic. Do not move the box to another place, approve the choice of a cat, made with a sense of natural instinct.
How is the gestation period
The owner of the cat can calculate in advance the approximate duration of labor. Pregnancy in animals lasts about 60-65 days. Full-term kittens are born healthy.
If, during pregnancy, the cat revealed pathological signs, there is a chance that labor will start earlier than it should be. In order for your pet to bring healthy offspring, and her pregnancy did not end tragically, be sure to show the cat to the vet throughout the entire period. This is especially true if the pregnancy proceeds with complications.
Cat before birth
So, as we have said, the first signs of approaching labor are observed in 7-10 days. From this period, the owner should pay special attention to your cat. If she goes for a walk outside the house, take her from the street and try for a long time not to leave one.
Understand that the cat is ready to give birth can be on the following grounds:
- often go to the prepared box on the back,
- in the stomach, you can visually notice the active movement of the kittens,
- the cat begins to actively wash, lick the genitals, until licking all the hair under the tail,
- the day before the birth, she is constantly in the birth box, from where she goes out to drink water or milk,
- on the last day before the birth does not eat anything,
- the genitals of the animal swell noticeably, there is also a reddening of the nipples and the skin under the tail.
Did you notice the listed symptoms in your cat? Then you can not wonder - how long she will give birth. There is already very clear everything - childbirth can take place at any moment within the next 24 hours! Be prepared for this process and get everything you need beforehand in case complications arise during labor.
How to understand that the cat began to give birth? Before giving birth, a mucus plug comes out of the cat's genitals, then the generic process starts, during which the cat can meow loudly and plaintively. At this point, the owner should be near and reassure his favorite with gentle stroking and kind words of support.
To make it easier for you to navigate this difficult matter, consult with a veterinarian who will answer all your questions in detail. The birth of each animal may take place in different ways.
For example, ordinary cats that do not have pedigree roots often give birth on their own. The owner may not even notice this process and see kittens already born, affectionately eating mother's milk.
Scottish, British, Sphynx cat and other pedigree individuals are very fond of attention and care, so they often need the help of a beloved owner during labor.
How will the birth, it is impossible to predict. It depends on the individuality of the animal’s body and, therefore, whether the cat has given birth before. Juveniles, the first offspring, give birth longer than usual and often scream loudly. Due to lack of experience, such cats often try to run out of the box, which is not recommended at all.
It is also not desirable to allow coups on the stomach and squats. In such positions, the cat can seriously harm their kittens. To eliminate such risks, the owner must control the process of childbirth and prevent such positions of the animal's body. It is better to gently turn it to the side and gently stroke in the abdomen and back. It will calm the frightened female mother a little.
Even an inexperienced owner will notice that the cat has begun to give birth. From the genitals of the expectant mother will be the first kitten. At this moment, the woman in labor will be very tense and straining, trying to push the baby to the light as soon as possible.
The first kitten may be in the amniotic bladder, which occurs if it does not burst during childbirth. The cat will be able to free the baby from the bubble itself by gently gnawing through the shell.
If this does not happen, take the initiative and free the newborn from the bladder using sterile scissors. Cutting the shell, be extremely careful and attentive so as not to harm the kitten.
How to understand that the cat no longer gives birth? The frequency of birth of each kitten is 15-40 minutes. This means that it is not necessary to expect a fast delivery. After the birth of a kitten, the placenta comes out of the genitals, which it must eat. This will allow the mother to quickly recognize motherhood and speed up the lactation process.
As a rule, the owner does not have to persuade the cat, she eats the placenta due to natural instinct.
After the placenta comes out, you can understand that she gave birth to all the kittens and has already finished giving birth. It is very good if the birth was successful both for the mother cat and for her offspring. But, sometimes there are complications, which we now will tell!
Complications during lambing
The owner of a pregnant cat should be ready for anything, so it is better to get acquainted in advance with possible complications of labor, which will allow you to make the right decision in an unforeseen event.
- Delayed placenta. After the birth of a kitten, the last must come out. If this does not happen, it remains in the cat's body, which is very dangerous for its life. The placenta inside the uterus rots, an acute inflammatory process develops, due to which the cat may die. Be sure to contact your veterinarian with this problem as soon as possible!
- Weak generic activity that does not allow the cat to independently give birth to kittens. It is possible to determine this pathology by the following signs: within 30-40 minutes strong contractions are observed, but the kids do not go out into the light. Problems with the labor activity are also indicated by the long intervals between the birth of each kitten. If after the appearance of the first baby, the cat cannot give birth within 1.5-2 hours, it must be urgently taken to the veterinary clinic!
- The cat's contractions last for several hours, she screams in pain and constantly licks the genitals, but labor does not begin. This pathology occurs for several reasons. It’s not possible to solve this problem on your own, so in this case, the woman should be immediately taken to a specialized medical facility where she can give birth under the supervision of an experienced doctor.
And a few more signs that indicate the need for urgent hospitalization of a pregnant cat in a veterinary clinic:
- in a cat during childbirth, the temperature exceeds 39 degrees (acute fever),
- dark and offensive discharge appears from the vagina of the woman in labor,
- in the interval between the birth of kittens or before the release of the first kitten, blood clots come out of the genitals,
- childbirth last more than a day and do not stop,
- interrupted childbirth, which means the disappearance of contractions in the cat (stopped giving birth), but not all kittens were born,
- the animal is very weak, lost consciousness during childbirth.
If you see signs of a pathological childbirth in a cat, immediately take it to an experienced veterinarian!
Only a qualified doctor will be able to resolve this situation with the most positive result.
What should not be done by the owner, who noticed the complications during the birth of a cat:
- stimulate the generic activity of the hormone oxytocin, which provokes uterine rupture, severe bleeding and death of the animal,
- it is unacceptable to prick a cat that gives birth to a no-silo, as this drug can cause paresis of its hind legs, as a result of which the cat will forever remain disabled,
- vodka or alcohol should not be given as a painkiller; for cats, these drinks are real poison that instantly poison the whole body,
- It is unacceptable to try to expand the cat's vagina with any tools, pull the kitten by its paws, put pressure on the belly of the pregnant cat and carry out other inexplicable manipulations that provoke serious complications.
If you are careful not to take birth yourself from your pet kitty, arrange in advance to conduct this process in a veterinary clinic or call a doctor at your home. This service is provided on a paid basis, according to the current tariffs established in the medical institution.
What to do with kittens?
Cats have a well-developed maternal instinct, so immediately after the birth of the kittens, they independently gnaw the umbilical cord and provide proper care for their offspring.
What kind of help can the owner of a young mother cat have:
- Kittens after birth are practically blind and bright sunlight can irritate their eyes. Try to find a suitable place in the house for the location of the offspring, where there will be a muffled light, no drafts and no strong noise.
- For disinfection purposes, you can treat the kitten's umbilical cord with hydrogen peroxide or ordinary brilliant green.
- Make sure mom cat regularly licks her babies. This process is very important, it improves the work of the digestive organs of kittens and stimulates the sucking reflex.
- Mother cat feeds her babies with breast milk. You also need to monitor this process and control that all kittens have access to the nipples and are full.
- Newborn kittens must be in a warm room. If the room is less than 28 degrees Celsius, install a heat lamp above the box with the babies. Just do not direct it directly to the kids, but a little to the side to prevent the tender skin of the kittens from burning.
- If your mom-cat doesn't have enough milk to feed, arrange a supplement. As an additional food, it is better to use special formulations from veterinary pharmacies, which are analogues of cat milk. The frequency of feeding the kittens and the dosage of artificial milk will help determine the veterinarian.
- The box with the offspring should not stand on top. This is very dangerous for growing up children, who unknowingly can roll over the sides and fall, which will result in serious injuries.
The doctor may prescribe a complex of drug therapy to premature kittens, based on the introduction of immunostimulating drugs and vitamins that promote good growth and proper development. Follow all doctor appointments!
How to care for a cat after childbirth
Childbirth and the postpartum period is not an easy process, both for the most newly-made mother and for her owner. With the advent of kittens, additional cares for the care of the babies and the parent itself appear in the house.
How to care for a cat after childbirth:
- At the end of the generic activity, feed the cat water, she needs to urgently restore the water balance in the body. Water from a nursing mother cat should always be freely available.
- Make for her a full and balanced diet. A cat needs good nutrition, on which the quality and volume of milk produced will depend. Place a bowl of food and water close to the box with the offspring.
- Nearby you also need to put a tray so that the young mother can safely go to the toilet, not leaving her babies for long. Keep the tray clean and hygienic, change the filler in time and clean the toilet of any contamination.
- In the first weeks after giving birth to a mother cat it is better not to let out into the street, where there are always many dangerous infections that carry a potential threat to the lives of newborn kittens.
- Within 1-2 weeks after birth, copious secretions are observed from the genital organs of the cat. As a rule, she licks them herself and monitors the hygiene of her genitals. However, some cats who have undergone a difficult childbirth and have a weakened immunity, do not cope with such care. The owner can wipe off the reproductive organs of the animal using a clean, wet towel or napkin.
- In the box where the cat and her offspring are located, it is recommended to change the diaper daily in order to maintain hygiene.
Watch the cat mom and her offspring. At revealing of pathological signs call the veterinarian! A good doctor will make a trip to the house and will examine the mothers and kittens, after which he will give useful recommendations and all the necessary appointments.
We hope your pet will give birth as quickly as possible and without complications, and newborn kittens will have strong immunity and excellent health!
How to understand that a cat is giving birth and when will it give birth?
The owner of the cat can be based on various sources that will help set the expected day of birth. On the Internet, a person will be able to find a calendar of the day of birth for an animal. But not only by applying Internet technology you can find out when the cat plans to give birth.
You can predict exactly the day by yourself, watching the animals.
- During the fourth or sixth week you will be able to find out that your pet is pregnant, you can determine it by appearance. The cat's abdomen begins to grow constantly, and the nipples become pink. At this time, you can visit the vet and palpation to find out how many kittens will be. During this period it is best not to touch the animal in order not to harm it.
- After the seventh week, you can feel the movement in the abdomen. During this period, the animal sleeps a lot and often eats and drinks. Another sign of the seventh week of pregnancy is a constant visit to the toilet tray.
- A few days before the expected birth, the belly of the animal falls and has the appearance of sagging. When this occurs, discharge from the chest and uterus. During the onset of contractions, the cat begins to look for a convenient place for the birth of kittens.
How to understand that a cat gives birth: processes, stages and terms
A healthy animal can easily take out kittens and then give birth to them without any veterinary interventions. Small or pedigree cats can give birth with complications. In developed countries, there is a specialist in this area who helps an animal to give birth to healthy offspring. In our country, animals give birth independently. Only in exceptional cases, the birth takes a veterinarian general or the owner.
Pregnancy is divided into three stages:
- Viscous - the total duration of the process is three weeks. In this period, there is a swelling of the genital tract.
- During pregnancy of the animal. Signs of pregnancy can be seen from the third week of the course. These include sleepiness, loss of appetite and activity. She may require affection and attention. Vomiting may occur and pigmentation of the mammary glands increases. The animal clearly increases the uterus and the animal is rounded.
- By the seventh week, the kittens in the belly of the animal are moving and movements should be clearly visible. The mammary glands swell and colostrum appears. Some cats have vaginal discharge. Increased anxiety and the arrangement of the future place for childbirth is also a sign of this stage.
By the fiftieth day of gestation, pet owners must prepare some set.
- Large box with low board. In this case, the cat must freely enter or leave the nest and not to cling to the sides of the belly.
- A set of surgical latex gloves.
- Pipettes medical or suction. He may need to forcefully clean the respiratory system of kittens if they cannot do it themselves.
- Sterile thread and scissors treated with antiseptic.
- Liquid or powdered antiseptic.
- Cotton sticks and little green for processing kitten umbilical cords.
- Pure cotton cloth diapers or bikes.
- For rubbing kittens you need a terry towel.
- If the kittens are stuck in the birth canal, you will need Levomekol ointment.
- Clean a bowl of water.
- Dry infant formula, in case the cat does not have milk.
- To stimulate contractions, you can prepare oxytocin and sulfocamphocain - to stimulate the heart. In case of prolonged labor, potassium gluconate 10% is required for intravenous injection.
For clean, thoroughbred and fluffy animals need to prepare wet and dry wipes. It is best to pre-cover the place of the future birth with a moisture-absorbing diaper. During labor, the animal will crawl from place to place. Поэтому нужно обеспечить стерильность во всей местах.
Как понять что кошка рожает: признаки
Узнать, что кошка рожает довольно просто для этого вам понадобится наблюдать за животным.
В период родовой деятельности узнать, что кошка рожает довольно просто.
- За двое или сутки температура тела животного начинает падать.
- За сутки питомец вылизывает половые органы. A reddish tint appears on the mucous membranes.
- An animal may not always have mammary glands. In the nipple area, the skin becomes hot. Often the woman in labor becomes inactive.
- 8 hours before the birth, the pet's uterus begins to contract. To see it is quite simple, because the cat will begin to hunch. In the same period, the animal begins to behave restlessly, hide and call for help. In addition, a sharp decrease in appetite. The animal consumes liquid in the same volume.
The board: Help the animal alleviate its suffering during childbirth. In the event that the cat is trying to hide in the closet, it is better to give her a place. In the event that it falls on your things, do not scold her. Believe me, an animal during this period is not at all easy.
Harbingers of birth cats
The vital activity of a pregnant cat changes with the onset of the last day before childbirth. Anatomical features include the shape of the uterus of the animal, it looks in the form of horns, where the tip is the kittens, and the bottom is the cervix. As soon as the contractions begin, the animal experiences discomfort and pain. In the event that a miscarriage or spontaneous birth of your pet, it is worth noting that all signs of labor occurs several times faster.
If you notice that your animal is anxious, then you should best pay attention to the following aspects of labor.
- Before the start of labor, a mucus plug should come out of the cervix. It can be transparent, yellow or green. On this sign of labor can not navigate, since this can not be noticed. The cat may go to the tray, where it will get the cork.
- Kittens are located in the cat's stomach compactly. In order to be born properly, they must turn upside down. Large kittens may not have time to do this before their birth. During the turn-over, the babies give their mother a lot of inconvenience.
- The first contractions are almost impossible to notice. But you can feel it if you put your hand on the cat's belly. The opening of the uterus can occur up to eight hours.
- As soon as the animal begins to lie on its side, crouch, the first child may appear within an hour.
Birth process: problems and stages
The process of exit kittens occurs only after the cat's uterus fully opens. During this period, the cat is not easy. The animal is worried and the cat really hurts.
During this period, she lost a lot of strength and she is worried. During this period, it is important to follow some rules.
- Rest is necessary for an animal. The owner is recommended to keep himself in hand and clearly understand what is happening.
- The cat should feel well and not feel any confusion because of the owner.
- The owner of the cat must isolate the room where the cat gives birth from any prying eyes. It is necessary in this place not to let out children and other animals.
- The window of the "delivery room" should be put on airing, but do not allow drafts.
- Constantly stay with the animal, because it will ask to constantly drink. During childbirth, you can offer the cat water at room temperature or warm milk.
- During childbirth may be two people present. But someone should be near the animal. For example, the owner or the vet. In the event that the birth will be difficult, then the second person will help you.
- After the animal gives birth, she will eat the “place” of the kitten. In women, obstetricians and gynecologists clean the place. Eating a place is a normal physiological process in an animal that helps recuperate.
In that case, if you notice that the cat cannot give birth on its own, and there is no veterinarian nearby, then it is worth making next stage work.
- Fulfilled four strong attempts, but the head of the kitten did not appear. Then you need to lubricate the round end of the pipette with Levomecol and gently insert into the vagina. Thus, the walls of the vagina expand. The owner of the animal at this moment can stroke the cat's belly and slightly push the kittens. Soon they will be born.
- If the animal independently produced a kitten, but he was born in a bubble. Then you need to gently open the bubble. With a kitten is to remove mucus from the mouth and nose. In order for a cat to start licking a kitten, it is necessary to perform this procedure before its eyes.
- In the event that the kitten was born, but did not begin to breathe, it is worth actively rubbing it with a towel. You need to act in the back and chest. Rub the kittens need for four minutes. If there are no results, then you should take the kittens by the hind legs and gently shake them upside down and tap on the chest. Thus, you in every possible way release the respiratory tract of the animal. In the event that after half an hour none of the methods left results. Then you can diagnose the death of a kitten.
Despite the fact that the cat gives birth by itself and basically does not require human participation in this process, the veterinarian may be involved if the cat did not give birth seven days after the appointed date. If the kitten is in the birth canal for about thirty minutes and does not come out - with this case only a veterinarian can handle. But also if the kittens do not go out after five attempts and are stuck in the birth canal.
If the cat begins to have a fever, and putrid vaginal discharge. Or if after ten minutes of hard contractions the fetus does not come out, but enters the birth canal, call the veterinarian sure!