Breeding chickens is a rather interesting activity. For many decades, it has provided citizens with environmentally friendly food products (eggs and meat), and also provides an opportunity to make money by selling them.
But to achieve success in this difficult endeavor, it is necessary to prepare well the future place for feeding chickens, because it is from this adaptation that the health of the birds and the quality of the products that can be obtained from them depend.
How to make a chicken feeder with your own hands and in what ways it can be done will be described in detail in this article.
Requirements for chicken feeders
There are not so many requirements that the feeder for layers or broilers should meet, however, they should be adhered to when the preparatory work begins:
- The strength of the material from which the feeder is made. Such a material should have a minimum opportunity for deformation and damage during operation.
- The material also should not have harmful properties that may adversely affect the condition of chickens in the process of feeding.
- A chicken feeding container made of a specific type of material must be used for a specific type of feed.
- Such a device for chickens should ensure the rational use of feed. That is, the feed tank should be shaped in such a way that its dimensions do not allow chickens to climb into it and scatter the feed, as well as “relieve the need” there. To achieve this, you need to take care of the installation of protective bumpers, turntables and other devices to the trough. This will cover the bulk of the feed. In addition, it is necessary to give the feeder a steady form so that the birds cannot overturn it.
- Feeding trough should be easy to maintain. Fill the feed tank every day, as well as regularly wash and clean it. All these procedures should not cause any difficulties from the breeder of the chickens, and the care of the chickens should not bring trouble. That is why you need to make a feeder of light weight, not bulky form, which can then be quickly cleaned, disinfected and put in order for further use.
- The feed tank needs to be optimally sized, that is, its volume should be suitable for feeding the poultry population for a whole day. The amount of feed in the trough for each chicken is 10-15 cm in length, and for chickens this rate should be reduced by 2 times.
- In addition, the form of adaptation should be so arranged that all chickens have equal access to it in order to prevent the stronger birds from crowding out weaker individuals.
Depending on the material used
First you need to select several types of feeders, depending on the material from which they are made:
- Metal rods in the form of a grid.
Wooden feeders are perfect for feeding dry food (grain, feed, various mineral additives), so they are far from a universal option. For the manufacture of such feeders with your own hands, it is better to have other feeding devices. However, wood is a very durable material that ensures durability of the product.
Those that are made of metal or plastic are used for wet mixed feed and it is much easier to wash it off from such a surface than from a tree.
Therefore, the most versatile feeders are metal or plastic. But here you should carefully select the material to avoid its fragility or harmfulness.
As for the feeder in the form of a grid of twigs, it is perfect for feeding green grass to birds. That is, in addition to this trough, there should be another one suitable for daily bait.
Depending on the type of feed
There are also several types of feeders based on the type of feed supply:
- Trough feeders are flat containers that are equipped with special bumpers. Due to them the birds will not be able to scatter feed. Such containers are very well suited for feeding chickens.
- Grooved feeders have add-ons in the form of a pinwheel or grill for a restriction (it can be removed). And inside this capacity is divided into several compartments to accommodate different types of food. The advantage of this type of feeder is that it can be placed outside of the cells, and this will simplify the process of feeding and cleaning the tank.
- Bunker feeders are used to feed dry fodder chickens. The main advantage of the bunker is that it can be poured grain or feed in the morning and this volume will be quite enough for feeding chickens for a whole day. To worry about the next portion will need only the next day. In addition, the feed from the hopper enters the trays as needed, it has a closed form that does not allow the feed to become dirty or wet.
Depending on the placement in the hen house
And finally, depending on the location of the feeder in a cage or house, it may be:
- Outdoor, it is more mobile, because it can be placed in any part of the “house” for chickens,
- Hinged, which is placed around the perimeter of the cage or chicken coop, and it is mounted on special brackets or holding devices, they can be made with your own hands.
How to make a chicken feeder?
Undoubtedly, there is a large variety of various chickens feeding equipment available. But you can effortlessly make a feeder from scrap materials yourself, knowing a clear algorithm of actions. Next will be shown the methods of manufacturing containers for chicken feed from a variety of materials.
What does she represent? Its design is very simple: it is a feed hopper and a tray into which it will flow evenly.
We offer you several drawings of bunker feeders for chickens:
For its manufacture will need:
- Plastic bucket or plastic bottle,
- Cutting object with which you can make a hole in the tank.
When making a bunker trough from a bucket, you need to make a round hole in it and give it the appearance of an “entrance” in the form of a short pipe of such a size that a chicken's head can easily fit there. At the same time, the bird cannot be completely placed in the tray, and the feed will be evenly spilling out of the bunker.
If you make a container out of a bottle, then you need to take a bottle of large volumes (5 l), and cut off the neck of the bottle so that you can fill the top with food. The bottle must be installed in the tray and fill up the feed. When eating chicken feed, it will re-evenly spill out of the bunker.
Feeding trough from a tree
They can also be of bunker type or tray type.
Look at several drawings with sizes of various feeders made of wood:
How to make a wooden fixture in the form of a tray?
This will require:
- board or thick plywood,
- nails or wood screw
- paper and pencil
The manufacturing algorithm is as follows:
- Before you get to work, you need to take care of the drawing of the future fixture. It is necessary to take into account all the details, parameters, and calculate the dimensions of the final product. Identify the places where components of the feeder will be attached. High-quality study of the drawing will allow you to avoid mistakes in the manufacture and then the resulting design does not have to redo it.
- It is necessary to take the component parts - these are 2 side walls with a length of 100x8 cm, the bottom in the amount of 1 pc. and a size of 100x15 cm, 1 beam 100 cm long, 3 cm wide, and 2 cm high. The most difficult thing to do is to cut the two side walls of small dimensions, to which the beam is then nailed from above. Width - 15 cm, the height of the edges should be on a par with the long lateral, taking into account the thickness of the bottom.
- Then, following the drawn drawing, you need to cut out the necessary parts from wood. The walls of the feeder should be of such a height that chickens could not scatter feed with their paws, but at the same time they could freely reach with their heads to feed. And the bottom should be sufficiently thick and have considerable weight so that the feeder does not overturn.
- Next, you need to fasten all the parts with nails and fasteners. When joining wooden blanks, holes and crevices should not be allowed, through which grain and other food can spill out. There is no need to process wood in addition.
Its principle is similar to the device bunker feeders.
Here is a drawing of one interesting construction in which the automatic feeder is combined with the drinker:
It is easiest to make such a feeder from three plastic bottles from under mineral water, sparkling water, etc. This is the number of bottles suitable for adult birds. You will need two bottles of 5 liters and one for 3 liters. Tara should be with thick walls.
The algorithm for making an automatic feeder is as follows:
- Take one five-liter bottle and cut it in half. Its upper part is not useful in the future, so you can safely throw it away.
- At the bottom of the bottle you need to make 5 square holes (5 by 5 cm) along its entire circumference. Cut them with a sharp knife at the height of the first rib below.
- From the three-liter bottle cut off the top of the neck. From it you get a comfortable funnel, through which you can pour food into the second bottle of 5 liters.
How to feed chickens through this feeder? You need to take a whole bottle of 5 liters with half-filled in food and, gently turning it over and not spilling the contents, put it with your neck on the bottom of the first bottle with holes around the circumference. As a result, the feed itself will pour into the second bottle, from which the birds will be fed.
In order to make the feeder from the pipe, the following materials will be required:
- PVC pipe, 16 cm in diameter,
- plastic parts - "knee",
- two plugs.
To determine the length of the pipe, you need to figure out how much feed you plan to lay in it. Such a feeder should be of medium size, otherwise it will be unstable.
How to make a fixture of the pipe:
- PVC pipe should be cut into two parts, one of them - 50 cm, and the other - smaller,
- these parts are connected using plastic-knee parts,
- In the second part of the pipe you need to drill a hole on both sides with a circular crown. The hole radius is 4 cm.,
- at the end it is necessary to cover the pipes with plugs.
It is easiest to make a hanging feeding trough from a plastic bucket with a handle of 5 liters in volume and a shallow plastic plate or bowl whose diameter is larger than the diameter of the bottom of the bucket.
At a height of about 6-8 cm from the bottom of the bucket, you need to make holes similar to those that are made for an automatic feeder, around the entire circumference of the container. Next, the bucket from the bottom is attached to a plastic plate, which serves as a kind of tray, and by the handle the bucket is suspended from the grid.
Food is poured into a bucket, which also, quite evenly, then enters a tray from which birds can eat it.
The method of breeding chickens using an incubator is suitable for experienced breeders. Read more about this in our article.
Do you need a rooster laying? Find out about it here.
Where to install a chicken feeder?
If chickens spend more time on the street, in a specially designated place, then it is better to install feeders there, because while sleeping “under the roof”, the birds do not eat or drink. And there is simply no trough.
If the chickens are mainly located in the chicken coop, then it is better to place the devices for feed in it at elevations, or hang them up, but at a short distance from the floor so that the chickens can comfortably fit and peck the feed.
For example, pipe feeders are attached to the walls on a small wooden catwalk.
Knowing such a variety of ways to make a container for feeding chickens with your own hands, you can find all sorts of available tools in your farm and make a feeder for your birds of the desired shape and size.
How to start?
Feeder can be made from anything - for example, from boards, boxes, pipes or plastic bottles. But regardless of the material chosen, there is always one problem - we are talking about mixing feed. And if you use several feeders at the same time, they will take too much space. There is a way out of this situation, but we'll talk about it a bit later.
Sample feeder on the street
So, in order for the feeder to cope with its functions, it is necessary to prepare for its construction in advance. First, determine the dimensions of the structure and select a place for it. It does not matter if it will be located in the hen house or in the yard - all birds must have free access to it. Moreover, the chickens should not crowd or interfere with each other during feeding.
Feeder in the hen house
It should also be remembered that chickens need not only dry but also wet food (we are talking about mash). In the first case, hopper tanks in the form of a cylinder are perfectly suitable, in which the volume of feed is filled automatically. For wet food, a trough in the form of a trough, over which a spinner is installed, made of a bar, is more suitable.
Homemade Wooden Dry Food Feeder
Homemade wooden feeder for dry food (side view)
Making a feeder for chickens - an overview of popular ways
Of course, the procedure for constructing a trough differs from the bunker-type feeder both in terms of labor costs and in complexity of work. But modern equipment and materials greatly simplify the process, so there will be no special difficulties.
Note! When constructing a feeder, one important rule must be followed: the structure should be stable, the food should not fall out of it. Otherwise, there will be not only overrun of food, but also a violation of sanitary standards.
Option one. Creative chopping board
Making a chopping board from a cutting board
To make such an unusual bird feeder, you must prepare:
- chopping board
- small plastic cup
- rubber hose (transparent),
- electric drill.
A further sequence of actions should look something like this.
Table. Making feeders from a cutting board
When assembled, the trough described above will look like this. You can fill up the grain.
Note! Grain will be poured through a hose from a watering can into the cup itself. Also, take care of board stability, as chickens are likely to sit on it.
Option three. Plastic bottle construction
At the present time, water is often stored in cheap plastic containers. These bottles are, perhaps, in every home and can be used to build a convenient feeder.
Plastic Bottle Feeder
Step 1. Cut the bottle in half, make a hole in the bottom half, as shown in the image. The size of each hole should be sufficient for it to freely enter the chicken head (preferably leave a small margin).
Step 2. Take the second bottle, cut the bottom in it, then place it down with your mouth inside the prepared cut. As a result, between the neck and the bottom should be a few centimeters.
Step 3. Pour the grain inside, cover the hole in the upper part with something. The disadvantage of this construction is that in case of bad weather, it must be transferred to the room, but for placement inside the house it is the best option.
For chickens, you can make a similar smaller construction using ordinary plastic bottles. Manufacturing technology will be the same.
Option Four. Simple wooden feeding trough (№1)
If you have not very many chickens, and only materials of wood from scrap materials, you can make the feeder described below. The latter is perfect for those cases where the owners are not able to periodically add grain (in other words, this is also a bunker trough). It is not difficult to make such a construction, the main thing is to follow the instructions below.
First, prepare these consumables and equipment:
- pieces of solid thick plywood or wood
- electric drill, drill set,
- pair of loops
After that, proceed directly to the manufacture.
Step 1. Start by creating a drawing, then transfer it to the tree, expanding the elements of the required size:
- bottom is 29x17 centimeters,
- two “sides” with a height of 40 centimeters with a top edge of 24 centimeters and a bottom margin of 29 centimeters,
- two rectangles for the front wall - 28x29 and 70x29 centimeters,
- top cover (26x29 centimeters),
- back wall (40x29 centimeters).
Step 2. Carefully cut all the elements.
Step 3. Make holes for the screws in the required places using an electric drill.
Step 4. Treat all surfaces with sandpaper so that they are smooth and safe for birds.
Step 5. Using screws, assemble all the elements into a single structure. For maximum density, you can use a clip. It is also important that the rear and front walls are attached at an angle of 15 °.
Step 6. Using hinges, attach the cover to the backs of the side walls.
Шаг 7. Также желательно обработать кормушку антисептическим средством. Ни красок, ни лака использовать нельзя.
Note! The finished design will be roomy and comfortable, the feed, protected from moisture, will gradually be fed in automatic mode. In addition to labor, no shortcomings are noticed.
Option five. Simple wooden feeder (№2)
Simple wooden feeder
Another simple option - a trough, made in the form of a small trough. It is suitable for those who have a large number of chickens and there is a shelter in case of precipitation.
For work you will need:
- thick boards or plywood,
- screws (you can use nails instead)
Step 1. First make a drawing of a future construction. Extremely accurately determine all elements, their dimensions and mounting locations of fasteners. This is the most crucial stage, which will help to avoid possible errors and inconsistencies.
Step 2. Next, transfer the drawing to the tree to finally get the following elements:
- bottom (15x100 centimeters),
- a pair of side walls (8x100 centimeters),
- one beam (HxWxD - 2x3x100 centimeters),
- small end walls with a width of 15 centimeters and a height corresponding to the long side + thickness of the bottom.
Cutting out the end walls is the most difficult step. For a better view, we recommend that you review the image below.
Step 3. In accordance with the drawing, cut out each of the elements.
Note! The bottom should be thick enough and heavy so that the birds do not overturn the structure. The height of the walls should be comfortable for chickens.
Step 4. Connect all the elements together. Try not to leave a gap, because through them the food can spill out. Additional processing of wood is not required, moreover, if desired, this design can be modified to suit your own needs.
The advantages of such trough include durability and strength, as well as universality regarding the type of feed used (the latter can be both dry and wet). As for the shortcomings, it is only one - the feeder needs minimal care.
Chickens eat from the feeders
Plywood poultry feed
Option Six. Wooden deck
The next option is intended primarily for dry food (although you can use various mash). Ideal for small premises, because the second tier compensates for the lack of free space. For the work will need screws and bars.
Step 1. First, prepare all the items in the feeder. The main one will be the lower tier, whose height should be 25, and the width - 26 centimeters. As for the length, it depends on the number of birds.
Step 2. Make special grooves into which the damper will be inserted.
Step 3. The second floor will be a small trough with a board height of 10 centimeters. Install the second floor on the ends of the first, then attach loops.
Method one. With cutouts
PVC feeder with cutouts
For the construction of this design, take care of these consumables:
- a pair of PVC pipes (40 and 60 centimeters in length),
- two plugs
- connecting knee.
The 60 centimeter pipe will be installed horizontally and will serve for feeding pizzas. The other pipe is installed vertically and is needed to feed the grain. Start by making a hole on a pipe of greater length, although instead of them they often make one big one, through which birds will peck the grain.
Step 1. On the 60-centimeter tube, draw the holes with a diameter of 7 centimeters and with the same pitch.
Step 2. Saw the traced holes.
Making holes in the PVC pipe
You can make cuts on both sides
Cutouts can be oval
Step 3. Put the cap on one of the pipe ends.
Step 4. At the second end, set the knee, and in turn, inject another pipe.
Step 5. Fix the resulting structure in the house, preferably in two or three places at once, so that it will hold well.
Feeding trough in the house
After each falling asleep, put on the top of the second cap to prevent the garbage from getting inside. The design described is also bunker, so feed can be poured only once or twice a day.
Another version of chicken pipe feeder from PVC pipe
The second way. With tee
Pipe feeder with tee
In this case, for the manufacture will require:
- PVC pipes, matched to size (70, 20 and 10 centimeters),
- two plugs
- tee with an angle of 45 °.
Step 1. Take a 20-centimeter tube and put the cap on one end. This will be the bottom of the feeder.
Step 2. At the second end of this pipe, put on the tee so that the side elbow is facing up.
Step 3. Insert the small tube into the side opening.
Step 4. Insert the longest pipe into the third hole of the tee. Here, as in the previous method, after each backfilling of the feed pipe must be closed with a plug.
There are other ways to make a bird feeder made of PVC pipes, which are described in the video below by experienced poultry farmers.
Option Eight. Canister construction
Cheap and easy way to make a feeder.
To work prepare:
- any plastic canister
- a piece of pipe 10-15 centimeters in length,
Step 1. Thoroughly clean and dry the canister.
Step 2. Using a knife or any other tool, cut around 5 holes on the sides. The diameter of the holes should be somewhere 6-7 centimeters, so that they freely fit the head of chickens.
Step 3. Make a hole in the upper part for filling the grain and attach it over the pipe (the diameters must be the same). So the birds will not climb inside.
To protect against rain and debris, you can additionally take care of the pipe cover.
Option nine. The design of the container for the CDs
Do not throw away the old container for CDs - it can still serve you to feed the chickens!
The design of the container for the CDs
To construct such a construction, prepare:
Step 1. Clean and dry the container, after which cut three to four holes of 2x2 centimeters on its walls at the very rim.
Step 2. Fill the container with food, close with a bowl on top.
Step 3. Invert the container with the bowl and place it in the desired place.
Note! Make sure that in the places of the cuts there are no sharp corners, about which chickens can get hurt.
Also note that this design is not durable and is designed for a small number of birds.
Choosing the right
Plants for feeding birds are divided by source materials:
- devices made of wood suitable for dry feed mixtures: cereals, animal feed, minerals, seashells,
- plastic or iron feeders are useful for using wet food, they are easy to clean and are not soaked with food,
- net or twigs will be useful when feeding with fresh grass.
You can also distinguish the types of feed type:
- Troughs are well suited as chick feeders. These are peculiar containers with sides so that the feed does not spread around,
- gutter with additional limiter. Inside it can be divided into compartments for different types of feed. They are usually taken out of the cage to simplify maintenance,
- bunker feeders mainly for dry mixes. They are intended for infrequent filling, so that chickens can be left for a while. The food remains clean and dry and is fed in doses.
You can position the device on the floor or hang it up. The floor option is convenient if it is necessary to move the feeder. The hinged tank is attached to the walls from the inside or outside of the cells.
To save food, the first thing to do is pay attention to the fact that the chickens could not get into the tank themselves and scatter the food. In addition, it is necessary for its preservation, so that no excrement gets into it. To protect the grain, you can use bumpers, limiters, or by moving the tank itself behind the cage.
It is also necessary to remember that the tank will have to be cleaned and filled daily, the design should not create obstacles for this. In general, you need to pay attention to the weight of the tank and its volume (it should be enough for a day feeding the entire population).
About 15 centimeters are allocated per bird from the length of the feeder, which should be enough for everyone so that the weaker individuals do not remain hungry. If the cage contains only chicks, you can reduce this size.
How to make feeders yourself
Now you can buy a variety of types of devices for feeding, however, the bird is quite enough and self-made options.
To make troughs with your own hands it will take quite a bit of time, but in financial terms, the costs will decrease markedly. To create such containers you can apply the materials at hand: buckets, pipes, bottles, plywood and much more. Next, consider the possible options.
The most affordable option will be bottle feeders. If the walls of the container are dense and there is a side handle, then it is quite suitable. All that needs to be done is to make a hole at a distance of about eight centimeters from the bottom so that the bird has access to food, and a slot is placed on the handle of the bottle to hang the bottle on the net or grate.
Feeders collected from pipes
It will require PVC pipes approximately 15 cm in diameter, plugs and a tee-splitter, the length is as it will be more convenient. Ten- and twenty-centimeter lengths are separated from the pipe, a splitter is attached to the long part and plugs. The short part is attached to the branch (it will be a tray). The design is suspended in a cage with a long edge upwards. It will always be possible to temporarily close access to the feed.
You can arrange several of these designs, or modify the feeder for a large number of birds. Then the pipe should be cut into 2 parts, one of them is 30 cm, they should be joined with a plastic knee. In a short piece of milling nozzle two holes poured on both sides (about 4 cm in diameter), the bird will peck at these places, the other edges are closed with a plug.
This option is somewhat more expensive; you will need to design:
- plywood sheet
- loops for a right angle
- drill and drill
Choose the size of the future device or use ready-made drawings. First of all, a sheet of plywood is drawn, then separate parts are cut out. Then, at the end of the cutting of the blanks, the necessary holes are made, including under the secret screws.
The skin is trimmed all the edges, in order to avoid birds hurt. Next, the sides, bottom and front of the structure are assembled. In front, it would be appropriate to use a plate of transparent plastic to track the amount of feed remaining. On the front panel and the end, a fifteen-degree angle is cut from above and below, we fasten the parts and connect them to the sidewall.
Above the place of feeding feed is a bar, washed down under 30 degrees. The lid is screwed on the hinges to access the stern. It is desirable at the end to process the structure with an antiseptic.
You can do it easier and build a feeder from the boards in the form of a long box that is installed behind the cage. This allows you not to go into the chicken coop for feeding, the legs will remain clean.
A box is constructed of bars about 25 centimeters in height and sheathed with plywood or board. The wall further from the birds is arranged with a slope. The distances between the bars of the cages should be sufficient for the bird to freely stick its head and peck the food located outside.
The design is covered with a lid of wood or plywood on the hinges to protect the food from water or other hungry animals, such as mice. At the bottom of the tank is better to put a piece of linoleum, so it will be easier to maintain a wooden feeder. To better understand the process of making such structures, it is advisable to get acquainted with the photo of chicken feeders.
Self-construction of such tanks has a lot of advantages compared with the purchase of ready-made devices.
- Firstly, there is nothing difficult in the process itself, for this it does not require any special skills or anyone's help.
- Secondly, serious financial savings, especially if you have at your disposal a serious poultry population.
- Thirdly, the ideas of feeders can be gleaned from various sources and choose the most optimal for their convenience.
Any color, size, design is selected, everything can be adjusted for yourself, without wasting time and effort searching for the optimal solution in stores. Having created the right design with your own hands, you will not have to worry about the livestock during the day, you will always know that the bird has enough food and water and it is reliably protected.
Experts identify three types of structures:
- trough feeder - consist of flat tanks, which have small sides. They are needed to ensure that birds do not scatter food. This option is best used for feeding small chicks,
- fillet feeder - another spinner is attached to the tray. It can be replaced by a restrictive grille, which is easy to remove. Also, the tray itself can be divided into several compartments. This separation is convenient when feeding all sorts of feed. Often these types of products are carried outside the cell. So servicing them is pretty easy,
- bunker trough - used to feed dry food. This design consists of a bunker in which it places enough food or grain to ensure a complete ration for a certain time (for example, a day) and a tray. The feed enters the tray evenly, depending on how the feed is eaten. With this use of food will always be clean and dry, because the bunker itself is securely closed.
For production you can take a variety of materials, including those that are easy to find in each yard. All available materials will fit - boxes, wooden boards, pipes and even plastic bottles. But farmers will always be faced with the question of how to mix feed? After all, the use of several feeders for individual feed will take up a lot of free space. But everything is much simpler, as it seems. This secret will be revealed a little later.
The location of the feeders on the street
The facility must handle the main function — deliver the grain. For full functionality it is necessary to properly prepare before the construction itself. The first thing you need to outline the parameters of the future design. Important is the choice of location. This is important both for the inner trough, and for the street. The main criterion is the freedom of approach and access to food for each bird. It is important that during feeding the chickens do not crowd or interfere. Therefore, calculating the parameters, consider the number of animals.
Choosing an option for construction, do not forget about the right diet. The fact is that chickens should receive both dry and wet feed (mash). The best option for dry food is bunker trough. It is most often done in a cylindrical form, and the grain is replenished automatically. But for wet types of food it is better to choose the grooved or tray trough.
Of course, the construction of the tray and the bunker have different technologies and the use of materials will be different. But thanks to the current tools, the process has become much easier. So even a newbie in this business will easily build a simple feeder by himself. The main thing is to stick to the submitted recommendations. Consider the main options that have the ease of execution and the most popular among farmers. Detailed instructions for each type is attached.
Option 1. Feeder from the board for dressing
To get an unusual chicken feeder, created by yourself, look at the photo. And this and other original ideas will help create your own unique version. For equipment of this type of grain supply, you need to take the following materials and tools:
- cutting board,
- small plastic cup
- transparent rubber hose
- electric drill.
The manufacture of troughs occur as follows.
- You need to take a plastic funnel and circle its outer contour on the board itself in the center.
- Make a lot of holes along the electric drill. But too much does not need to feed a little bit.
- The diameter of the hose must match the spout of the funnel. They need to be interconnected. To make the connection as strong and reliable as possible, you can take suitable fastening elements (clamp).
- Closer to the bottom of the plastic container you need to make a hole. Its size must fit the hose so that it can enter and hold tight.
- Thread the loose end of the rubber hose into the hole in the cup. If the density of the connection is not enough, use a sealant. Just put it on the edges of the hole and the shield, or rather its outer part.
- After everything is dry, you need to attach the funnel bell to the board itself. Here also use a sealant around the contour.
- The funnel should lie exactly on the contour made. Hold it until the sealant is completely dry.
- The hose with one end must be connected to a plastic cup, and the second to the spout of the funnel. It should be on the bottom side of the board. Feeding trough ready!
Feeder from cutting board
Вариант 2. Конструкция на основе бутылей из пластика
Многие запасают воду на случай отключения или для других хозяйственных нужд. Хранение чаще всего происходит в доступных емкостях из пластика. We can say that such containers already exist in every home. It is plastic bottles that can be used as a basis for creating bird feeders.
The finished product for feeding
The creation of such an option for feeding chickens involves the use of two tanks and is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- It is necessary to cut the bottle into two parts. After that, make holes at the bottom, how exactly to do it, look at the photo. The size of such holes should be made slightly larger than the head of a chicken. So they can easily push it and eat.
- In the second tank it is necessary to cut the bottom and put the neck down so that it fits inside the cut made earlier. The result should be a small gap of a few centimeters between the bottom itself and the inserted neck.
- Inside the grain is poured. From above it is necessary to close something. The feeder is ready for use.
Bottle cut in half
The only caveat is that if it rains or there are other unfavorable conditions on the street, the feeder needs to be moved into the room. But if you use it in the room itself, then this type will be very successful.
Such a feeder for chickens can also be built by hand, but from ordinary plastic bottles. So the whole structure will have smaller dimensions, as in the photo. But for feathered kids, there are other original ideas.
Option 4. Bunker type feeder from plastic bucket
This trough also belongs to the category of automatic, because you almost do not have to interfere in the process of feeding your farm. Make it quite simple, so you should not pay big money in the store, and try to do it yourself.
Consumables for construction:
- plastic bucket
- bowl for animals, divided into sections.
- Initially, you need to make holes in the bottom of the bucket for food to enter.
- With the help of screws you need to attach the bucket to the bowl.
- In a bucket, pour dry food to the top and close the lid.
Ready plastic trough
The undeniable advantage of this option is versatility and simplicity. Such a feeder can be installed anywhere. It can even be hung. Grain will flow as it is eaten. So that the excess will not get enough sleep outside the trough, which ensures cleanliness in the yard or hen house. Feed intake is provided by pressure, which is formed from its own weight.
Bunker type feeder for small chicks
Option 5. Feeders from pipes (PVC)
This type of product is quite simple to manufacture. And the cost of such construction is minimal. PVC pipes are very common and their price is low, so that everyone can afford it. But, despite the simplicity, there are several options for the design of such feeders. Which one should you choose? Assess your actual bird conditions and their numbers.
Method 1. With the creation of cuts.
For such a product need:
- PVC pipes (2 pcs.) 400 and 600 mm long,
- cap (2 pcs.),
- knee for connection.
Plastic pipe construction with cutouts
The long tube will be horizontal. Its function is to directly feed the birds. The short plastic tube will be installed in an upright position. She will feed in a horizontal pipe.
First you need to make holes in a long pipe. Often they make one hole of a large size so that the chickens have full access to feed.
- Take a tube with a length of 600 mm and mark the holes. Each has a diameter of 70 mm. Keep a distance of 7 cm between them. After this, holes must be made in accordance with the marking. If the economy is large, then holes can be placed on both sides of the pipe. So, at a time more birds can come up. Also, the holes may not be round, but oval.
- The cap must be put on one end of the pipe.
- On the back side, insert the pipe into the connecting elbow. And after that another pipe is inserted into the knee.
Feeder inside the chicken coop
The feeder must be attached in the house so that it does not roll over. Fasteners are better placed in several places.
Above you need to install another stub after falling asleep feed. This will prevent debris and dirt from entering the grain. This design allows for backfilling every couple of days.
Method 2. Using a tee.
In this case, you need to stock up on such materials:
- plastic pipe (3 pcs.) 700, 200 and 100 mm long,
- caps (2 pcs.)
- tee at 45 degrees.
PVC feeder with tee
- Wear a cap on a 200 mm pipe. This pipe will be the bottom of the whole structure.
- On the other hand of the same pipe to wear a tee. The side knee should be facing up.
- 100 mm pipe must be put on the third elbow of the installed tee.
- The longest tube is installed in the free knee of the tee.
Feeding trough collection is carried out according to the drawing.
Drawing feeders with tee
As in the variant described above, you need to constantly close the top of the feeder with a cap to ensure the cleanliness of food for chickens.
Option 6. Simple wood feeder
This option is different from the above wooden sample. Here the bird feeder has the shape of a trough. Its good to use for a huge number of chickens. It is best to install under a canopy, so that in case of bad weather, do not carry or cover food.
- plywood or boards with great thickness
- screws, screws or nails,
- pencil with paper
- First you need to make a drawing of the product. It is necessary to accurately specify all dimensions and location of elements for fastening. An important step is the calculation of parameters. Keep in mind that the overall height should be comfortable for the hens themselves. And make the bottom of the feeders as heavy as possible so that the birds cannot turn over the entire structure.
- After that, the scheme must be redrawn on the material and cut out all the details.
- All elements of the feeder need to properly assemble among themselves. Avoid gaps and gaps as much as possible. After all, so the grain will just get enough sleep.
- Wood processing is not needed. Avoid paint or varnish coating - this is harmful for birds.
The advantage of this type of feeder for chickens is their long service life and great strength. It should be noted that in such a feeder can be served as a dry feed, and wet mash. And getting to the point wisely, you can increase the functionality of this product. Maintenance of this feeder is minimal. Just in time to replenish stocks of food.
Finished wooden feeder
Option 7. Trough, based on the canister
Cheap and fast options include such an easy way to make a feeding place. For the construction you need to stock up:
- plastic canister (any suitable)
- pipe - 100 to 150 mm,
- The canister needs to be well washed and dried.
- On the sides of the canister, make or cut five holes (depending on the size of the canister itself). The diameter of the holes should be 60-70 mm. The chicken head should be free to pass.
- At the top of the canister you need to make a hole. Through it, you will fill the grain in the feeder.
- Above the hole you need to install a pipe with the same diameter. This will save the feeder from getting inside the birds themselves.
- It is advisable to install some kind of cap or cap on top of the pipe. This will prevent excess particles and debris from entering. Yes, and the rain will not be terrible.
This option is best done for poultry houses whose household does not have many chickens. After all, the dimensions of such feeders are small.
It is important not only to build a chicken coop and a feeder, but also to properly care for them. The important point is disinfectant action. For this you can use various methods and substances. Experts recommend such actions.
Soap-carbol solution. With it, make disinfection items with a strong infection. These include wooden objects such as a door, window, feeding trough, trough, and so on) and metal or rubber. Polished or lacquered products are prohibited from handling them.
Bleach solution. It is used to disinfect drinking water. For these purposes, you need to make a solution according to this instruction: pour six grams of lime into a liter container with water. Then ten grams of the solution must be poured into a bucket of water for drinking. All this should last about two to three hours. After that, the water can be poured for consumption by birds.
Iron sulfate solution (5%) or soda solution. This option is used to sanitize feed inventory (tubs, drinkers, feeders, etc.).
Poultry houses still know a lot of options for each type of feeders. Some can be found in the video below.
The self-made feeding trough for hens created by the hands is an easy and financially not expensive construction. Moreover, you can see the photos and take the original ideas to translate into reality. You can always experiment and make your own unique version. The main practicality and functionality.
We do everything according to the rules
How to make a feeder for chickens with your own hands? To create them there are certain requirements. There are not too many of them, and they are easily realized.
- Proper, meaningful use of feed. Capacity for grain should have such a design that will not allow birds to climb inside and scatter the grain to the ground. This effect can be achieved with the help of protective bumpers, turntables and other various devices that hide the bulk of the food inside the container and allow the animals access only to the necessary part of it.
- Convenient and easy maintenance. You should daily pour the cereal into the feeder, from time to time to clean it and wash it. Features of the design and the material that is used to create, should not create any obstacles to the care of chickens. In other words, food packaging should be lightweight, easy to transport from one place to another, easy to wash and disinfect.
- Optimal proportions and size. The volume and parameters of the feeder should be enough so that all the poultry population could be fed throughout the day. Ten to fifteen centimeters should be set aside for each chicken tray. Chickens do not need such dimensions, because for them this figure can be reduced by half. If the device has a circle shape, even two and a half centimeters will be enough for each chick. It is desirable to create access to food for all birds, so that they have the opportunity to saturate at the same time, and the strong do not drive away the weak from the grain.
Remember the classification
Feeders for chickens, self-made, are divided into several types. Each of them is determined by the following criteria:
- Materials used for production (plastic, wood, metal, mesh and others).
- Used type of feed supply (chute, grooved, bunker devices).
The material determines the purpose
- Wooden feeders are best suited to feed birds with dry food like grain and feed. Also, devices of this type are used to supply mineral additives, such as small shells and pebbles, as well as chalk and limestone.
- Metal and plastic containers. It is more rational to put wet mixtures in them, since these materials are easier to clean.
- Net feeders and made of metal twigs. They are most convenient to serve fresh grass.
By type of filing
Depending on what type of feed is used, the following feeders for chickens are distinguished by their own hands:
- Tray. They are flat vessels with sides that do not allow the bird to scatter food. This variety is optimal for chickens.
- Gutter In them, the tray is complemented by a special turntable or removable grill, which limits access to the contents. These devices are placed outside the cells, making them much easier to maintain.
- Bunker. Feeders for chickens, self-made, are used to fill with dry food. The design makes it possible in the morning to pour into it such an amount of grain, which will be enough for the whole day, so that the owner will not worry about feeding until tomorrow. At the same time, food is poured into the trays smoothly, as needed, and the closed structure of the device serves as a guarantee of cleanliness and dryness of its contents.
We use plastic
Feeding troughs and drinking bowls for chickens can be made with the own hands from the most ordinary scrap materials. For example, for this purpose you need a large plastic bottle from under the water. On one of its sides you need to place the handle.
During manufacture it is necessary to ensure that the walls of the container are dense and maintain a good shape. The hole for access of chickens to food should be cut at a height of about 6-8 centimeters from the bottom level. And so that it was convenient to hang the container on the grid, a small cut should be made on the handle.
We bring the matter to automatism
Bunker feeders for chickens, made with their own hands, are also called automatic. With their help, you can greatly simplify the process of feeding. The fact is that crumbly fodder in such an adaptation goes to living creatures as it devours the previous portions. Such a feeder can be made from a plastic bucket from under construction materials or fish. You can also use sparrow seedlings. It is great for this fixture.
At the bottom of the container it is necessary to cut holes through which food can leak into the compartments of the mazhenitsa. Its diameter should be 10-15 centimeters larger than the size of the main bucket. These two parts of the feeder can be connected to each other with screws. Food in it is covered with a lid on top of it, and you can place it directly on the ground or hang it at a height of about two dozen centimeters.
Sewer pipes to help
Feeding troughs and drinking bowls for chickens can be easily made with sewers from sewage accessories lying around somewhere in the barn after repairs. To do this, take a pipe made of PVC. Its diameter should be about 15-16 centimeters. You will also need a tee and a pair of plugs from the same material.
The length of the pipe, choose at your discretion. Larger, more spacious, but less stable. Cut from it two fragments of 20 and 10 centimeters, respectively. Connect with a tee pipe and a 20-centimeter piece, attach the caps at their outer ends. Attach a 10-centimeter section to the rest of the adapter - it will act as a feed tray.
Now just fill the resulting design with food and fix it on the wall of the chicken coop, turning the long side up. If you see fit, you can also close the hole for accessing the grain at night with a plug.
This type of feeders for chickens, made by hand, can be used on the farm in any quantity. Also, several pieces can be connected to each other and get a more complex version of the device from the pipe.
Working with wood
It will take a little more time to make a similar plywood fixture. Feeder for chickens with their own hands made of wood using a special scheme. In order to do everything right, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- Decide on the size of the future fixture. It should not be too bulky. But at the same time, it is necessary to place enough food for the whole livestock.
- Pre-draw on plywood every detail of which will consist of a feeder for chickens. It’s easy to make drawings with your own hands, and they will help you to avoid mistakes.
- Cut the workpiece with an electric jigsaw.
- Drill the holes for the screws.
- Sandpaper the edges of the parts so that birds do not scratch them.
- Connect the parts using the clamp and screws.
- Saw on the back and front walls above and below the 15-degree angles. Install the remaining parts on them.
- Screw the cap onto the side elements.
Some more tips
Feeders for chickens, made of scrap materials with your own hands, must be treated with an antiseptic before use. With it, you will kill the harmful germs and bacteria that can spoil the food or even harm the health of your livestock.
You can make devices in the form of elongated boxes or boxes that will stand near the yard for walking. So you can protect the food so that it does not deteriorate. Feeders for chickens, made from scrap materials with your own hands, ensure the cleanliness of your feet, because you no longer have to constantly go into the barn or fence to check the availability of food from birds. To make the fixtures easier to clean, you can cover the bottom with a small piece of linoleum.
Feeders perfectly protect food not only from ingress of foreign objects and liquids (for example, during rain), but also do not allow chickens to scatter grain on the ground. Thanks to their versatile design, they serve food in doses that do not even need to control feeding during the day. It takes a little time to make a device, but it also makes the management process much easier.