In this article we look at the dog breed Bordeaux (Bordeaux) dog, talk about the characteristics. I will give here a brief description of the dogs of this breed and tell you about their character. I will give a brief insight into the history of the appearance of Bordeaux dogs, from which we learn about the original purpose of these animals.
Dog breed of Bordeaux
Dogue de Bordeaux has other names - Bordeaux or French Mastiff. Experts associate the emergence of the breed with France, the province of Bordeaux, where the breed existed for many centuries, but only in 1863 it became popular.
But their ancient ancestors really were real fighting dogs that could fight with any animal larger than themselves, even bears and bulls. Today's representatives of the breed in the course of selection have lost all aggressiveness and have lost the qualities of the fighters. Their lazy movements and affectionate attitude towards family members inspire a sense of calm and peace.
Standard view of Dog Bordeaux
The breed standard includes such parameters as:
- country of origin - France,
- The average height of the dog is 65 cm, bitches a couple of centimeters lower,
- minimum dog weight - 50 kg, minimum bitch weight - 45 kg,
- wool - short, thick,
- color - brown of any shades, small white spots on the ends of paws and chest are allowed,
- the head is powerful, located on the short neck, has many folds,
- hanging ears, ears slightly raised,
- eyes are oval, color from light brown to dark brown, sometimes lighter shades are permissible,
- average life expectancy is 8-10 years.
Rules of maintenance and care
Bordeaux dog is a lazy and sedate dog that does not suit people with an active lifestyle. The best leisure for such an animal is an unhurried and short walk, alternating with reclining on a sofa or in a chair. Already from an early age it is impossible to burden a dog with heavy physical exertion, since a large body mass adversely affects the joints and the locomotor apparatus of the dog.
But it is also not recommended to completely eliminate loads, as the animal quickly gains weight and it will be difficult for him to move. In addition, excess weight is an extra burden on all body systems, which will lead to early aging and premature death of a pet.
Dogue de Bordeaux - a little lazy dog. To train him will have to force.
To care for short hair, you must use a special rubberized or silicone brush. It is necessary to bathe treaties often enough, therefore, it should be done only with the use of special means.
Also, do not forget to clean the folds after feeding, otherwise the food particles caught in them will emit an unpleasant smell. Not less reverent care requires the eyes and ears of a pet, which also need regular cleaning.
As for nutrition, there is one main rule - do not overfeed. As mentioned above, dogs of this breed are prone to obesity, therefore, the more monotonous the nutrition of the animal, the better for its health.
In the diet should prevail lean meat. You can also give fish and offal, dairy products, fruits and vegetables. It is necessary that the dog always have free access to water. It is possible food ready-made food, for this suitable feed only premium, as they are most balanced in the composition of vitamins and minerals.
Bordeaux Dogs characterize such character traits as sociability and good nature. A favorite will suffer greatly if left alone for a long time.
Dogg will calmly and patiently endure all childish pranks and enjoy participating in games and fun. He also gets along well with all other pets, with the exception of large-breed dogs with same-sex dogs. He will react to impudent antics from small dogs with calmness and indifference inherent in his character.
Due to its calmness, the dog is not disturbed by external stimuli.
But, despite the softness of the dog's character towards the members of his family, he selflessly protects his master from any danger.
When attacking from Bordeaux, even the growls will not be heard, they are not prone to excessive emotionality.
French mastiff training
Dogue de Bordeaux is a smart dog that quickly memorizes the host team and understands what is required of it. But during long trainings the animal quickly gets tired, so in the process of upbringing and education you need to take breaks so that the pet rests from mental and physical activity, as the tired animal will not respond to commands.
Experts categorically prohibit the development of aggression in the pet, it is detrimental to the psyche of the nature of the dog phlegmatic. It is also impossible to use cruelty and assault on the training; for a positive result, the puppy should be praised and periodically indulged in a delicacy.
When training Bordeaux dog is not desirable to use physical force.
The most common disease of Bordeaux is obesity. Due to overweight, problems begin with the work of all body systems. Therefore, no matter how much you want to pamper your pet, you cannot treat him with high-calorie foods and keep him awake for days on end. Among hereditary diseases of the veterinarians, veterinarians secrete epilepsy and hip dysplasia, problems with the cardiovascular system are frequent.
At the age of two months, the puppy needs to be vaccinated, which will be prescribed by a veterinarian. Later they will need to be willing annually to avoid contamination of the pet with viral diseases - distemper, rabies, parvovirus, parainfluency, etc.
Price and nurseries
If you need to buy a puppy dog of Bordeaux exclusively, as a friend and companion, then its cost will be 30-35 thousand rubles.
In Russia, you can buy a Bordeaux puppy from Moscow kennels "Grand-Bordeaux" and "Dorsdorf" or in the nursery of St. Petersburg "Alliance Manific".
A puppy of a pet class costs 30,000 rubles.
As can be seen from the article, Bordeaux dogs are loyal and good-natured animals, despite the appearance of all the threateningness. No owner has yet regretted that he chose as a companion this sweet, healthy fellow who gets along well with all the household members.
Detailed description of the French Mastiff dog breed:
Color Bordeaux is his "calling card". Standard colors are all shades of red (deer) color, ranging from the color of akazhu (mahogany) and ending with isabella.
Coloring should be uniform and uniform. Wool should be well pigmented. White spots of small size on the chest and distal extremities are allowed. There may be a mask on the face. Depending on its color, the color of the nose also changes.
- The black mask is not very pronounced. Does not enter the skull of the head. The hair on the skull, neck, ears and upper torso may have some dark shade. The nose with this mask is also black,
- Brown mask - bright colors. From the sides, most often it looks paler, as it has sandy or fawn hair. Nose liver brown.
- In the absence of a mask, the color of the nose is also liver brown.
- Head: voluminous, short and wide. The shape resembles a trapezoid. Seen from the front and the top, angular. The longitudinal lines of the muzzle and the skull converge at the front in one point. On both sides of the head from the median sulcus there are motile skin folds with a symmetrical arrangement.
A crease from the inner corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth is typical. The fold from the outer corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth or dewlap is moderate. The circumference of the widest part of the head in males roughly coincides with the height of the dog at the withers. The forehead hangs over the muzzle. The width of the forehead prevails over the long
- Skull: its upper part is somewhat convex. The frontal groove is deep. Its size gradually decreases from the foot to the back of the head,
- Stop (transition from forehead to muzzle): slightly expressed.
- Nose: black or liver color (depending on the presence of the mask and its color), large with wide nostrils.
- Muzzle: well filled. Powerful. The area under the eyes is not different fleshy. The folds are moderately pronounced. The shape is square. Slightly concave when viewed from above. In the horizontal position of the head, the end of the muzzle is wide and truncated at the base.
It is located in front of a vertical line drawn tangentially to the front wall of the nose. The ratio of the girth of the muzzle to the girth of about 2: 3. The length of the muzzle corresponds to approximately 1 / 3-1 / 4 parts from the length of the head from the tip of the nose to the mound of the occipital bone. The cheekbones are distinct.
- Lips: upper lip is thick, moderately drooping. It moves away from the upper gums. When viewed from the side, the lip has a rounded lower line covering the lower jaw from the side. When viewed from the front, the edges of the upper and lower lips are closed together. The edges of the upper lip fall from the sides.
- Teeth and Jaws: Bordeaux Great Jaws are wide and powerful. The lower jaw is somewhat bent upwards. Chin has a good expression. However, it should not be too bulging for the upper lip or be overly covered with it. The teeth of the French Mastiff are strong. Lower fangs are widely spaced. They have a slightly curved shape. The incisors are aligned exactly. On the lower jaw, they form a straight line.
- Bite: snack. The lower incisors protrude forward and do not touch their back surface with the front surface of the upper incisors.
- Eyes: set wide. Oval shape. The distance between the inner corners of both eyes is approximately early two lengths of one eye. Sclera is not visible. If the dog has a black mask, the eye color varies from a dark brown to a nut. In dogs with a black mask or a mask that does not have a brighter eye color, it is not welcome for show individuals.
- Ears: Small size. Different from the main color a little darker shade. The front of the ear is slightly raised at the base. Ears hang, but do not hang limply. If the dog is alert, the front edge of the ear fits tightly to the zygomatic arch. The tips of the ears do not look beyond the eyes. They have a rounded shape. The ears are set high enough, which creates a visual increase in the width of the skull.
- Neck: strong. The muscular system is well developed. The shape of the neck is cylindrical. The neck circumference almost corresponds to the length of the head. The skin on the neck is supple, copious and loose. There is a slightly curved transverse groove separating the neck from the head. The top line of the neck is slightly convex. The suspension has a good manifestation. It begins at the level of the throat and ends at the chest. There are folds. Hang not much. Wide at the base of the neck smoothly into the shoulders.
- Housing: strong body, with pronounced musculature. The back is wide enough with well developed musculature.
- Withers: clearly pronounced.
- Back: straight, very muscular, broad.
- Back of the body (croup): moderately inclined towards the base of the tail. The lumbar region is short and wide. The belly does not droop.
- Rib cage: wide, well developed. The brisket is powerful and large in width. The ribs are well arched and lowered. Between the forelimbs, the chest is convex downwards.
- Tail: at the base is thick enough. The tip reaches the hock. The tail is flexible, kept low. It has no bends and thickenings.
- Blades: have a slope of 45˚. A very developed muscular system
- Shoulders: strong, very muscular,
- Forearm: Strong, flat or slightly curved inwards,
- Wrists and pasterns: powerful, slightly sloping,
- Front feet: very strong, powerful and muscular. Have pronounced large claws.
- Thighs: broad, very muscular,
- Lower thigh: Strong, muscular, drooping moderately low. Their length is relatively short
- Hock joint (tarsus): somewhat angular, sinewy, low above the ground,
- Hocks: strong. There are no lucrative joints,
- Hind feet: strong. Well developed bone system. Have good joint angles. The claws are hard and big.
How many atmospheres jaws hold?
Bordeaux mastiff has very strong jaw muscles - the bite is at least 80 atmospheres (8 kg load is per cm2).
For this breed, by standards, there is a significant difference from other breeds: the height and weight of Bordeaux puppies are not regulated.
- Moreover, only the lower limit exists in the body weight of adult dogs. So the answer, and how much a dog shall weigh, we cannot give a definite answer. For females, the lower bound of weight is 45 kg, for males - 50 kg. If the dog weighs less than the indicated numbers, it is not allowed to the show.
- But growth adult mastiffs installed clearly. The adult female at the withers should be 58-66 cm, and the male 60-68 cm.
Another advantage of this breed is that the mastiff will not bother the owners with excessive barking. Even to teach him the command "Voice" is very difficult, since he does not like barking at all. Howling is the same story. The dog has a rather low and coarse voice.
- The most common problem is hip dysplasia. It has both genetic and social factors of occurrence. To reduce the spread of pathology, an X-ray examination of puppies aged 12 months should be carried out on the subject of dysplasia. With its absence, you can conduct the mating.
The real reviews of the owners of the French Mastiff unvarnished:
Emilia. The character of the Dogos de Bordeaux is just for the laziest owners: I can do everything, but I don't want to. It's so great to sleep with him! Only takes a lot of places.
Catherine. I love dogs very much, but I do not like to get up in the morning. And the pessel would have to walk early in the morning. Long did not know what to do. Then somehow I was at a dog show and saw a handsome redhead. She went to the owner to ask about the dog purely for the sake of interest. When she said that the dog is different in laziness and likes to sleep a lot, I understood: this is my breed! Yes, the puppy is very expensive, but I did not look for an exhibition option. It was important for me that there was another “sloth” at home. My God, what a sweet little cone in the fold! And most importantly: Blitz does not interfere with the neighbors in the bottom, because it is so quiet. True, I had to allocate him a separate room so that he was comfortable.
Andrew. Dogue de Bordeaux - great dog! He lives in my yard. No need to walk in addition. Playful, but in moderation. Very kind and gentle. He loves to ride my kids on his wide back. The blossom is somewhat awkward. Several times, playing with our cat Grace, stepped on her tail. The most important thing is the only type of injury caused by Grace Blossom. Can you imagine cat and dog sizes? I thought he would crush her in a moment! But no, Grace is alive and well. But Blossom got from her: for her tail, she stumbled him so hard in the face.
Michael. My wife and I decided to have a Bordeaux. Found a good nursery, bought a puppy and brought home. What is this happiness! Playful, gentle dog, but not from the timid. Behind the skin of the demon hides an angel. His wife called him Belyashik. He is now 3 years old. Huge handsome man with cute folds on the face. Although he is 1.5 times more in mass and larger than his wife, I can be calm when she walks with him. I know for sure: Belyash will not escape anywhere and will not harm her. Strictly speaking, walking with such a dog, hardly anyone would dare to come close to my faithful.
Anastasia. Lucy is our favorite redhead slobbering muzzle. Her character is just super! We often leave children to her, absolutely nothing to fear. Lucy takes the kids well. The youngest of our son in the evenings can even help swing in the crib. And most importantly - she does not bark at them at all! But she has 2 drawbacks: she is very slobbering and she is allergic to beef. But do not worry, we are accustomed to them and adapted. The main thing is that our ward loves us as much as we love her.
Feature: Pros and Cons
Detailed characteristics of the Dogo Bordeaux breed:
- High intelligence. The dog of this breed is very easy to train. The only team that the Bordeaux often ignore is the “voice”,
- Wonderful guard. Dogo de Bordeaux will protect his family in any situation, not really thinking about the consequences,
- Great companions. They love to spend time with their masters,
- Good nannies. They are not afraid to leave small children. Mastiff will enjoy playing with them and endure the twitching ears and cheeks,
- Lives with other pets. A dog of this breed will never offend another animal, even a cat, if it is not necessary. Rather, he himself can get from the purring Fuzzies,
- Attractive appearance. On the street, the sight of passers-by is definitely not unavoidable. A cute face with skin folds in anyone will cause a smile,
- Absolutely do not like to bite,
- Do not show aggression to people who do not seek to cause damage to their owners. Even passers-by give themselves to stroke and touch,
- Not demanding to care,
- Shed in moderation. Yes, there will be a lot of wool in the house, but this is more likely due to the size of the dog, than the amount of wool shed by it,
- Very quiet.Getting barking from him is almost impossible.
- Drooling. The owners need to be prepared for the fact that the house will be covered in the pet's drool,
- Costly Not everyone can afford to get such a handsome, even PET class,
- Eat a lot,
- There are frequent cases of hypersensitivity reactions in the form of food allergies,
- Short average life expectancy (the indicator is strictly individual),
- Puppies need a large amount of vitamins and minerals, on which the owners also have to pay a decent amount,
- Despite their silence during the daytime, at night, the host can be awakened by the monstrous snore of a pet,
- Sedentary For lazy owners, this can be a positive quality. But it should be understood that such limited physical activity will undoubtedly lead to obesity and other pathological health conditions of the dog,
- Large in size. In the apartment they will be extremely uncomfortable,
- Do not like loneliness. They are too dependent on their masters to remain alone for a long time.
Combing and washing
Dogo de Bordeaux does not require strong care. It should be washed as needed. Brushing the dog is not necessary. It is enough to remove the wool with a specialized rubber glove.
Teeth brush three times a month. Clawstrimming is not necessary if the dog walks on asphalt. They grind themselves when walking.
Mast and knitting
During estrus, the behavior of the bitch changes noticeably. It can become apathetic or, conversely, extremely active. During heat bitch intensively sheds. She also tries to leave as many “marks” as possible to attract males. The dog often goes to the toilet. At the same time possible bleeding. The loop of the dog swells. If you blot the loop with white toilet paper, the selection will be a pinkish color of varying intensity.
In the first 1-2 heat the bitch is usually empty, so there is no point in tying. It is better to wait some time. Also, the bitch is prone to atypical behavior for her. For example, it is during this period that she can escape during a walk if she does not have a leash.
Knitting at the Bordeaux is better to start from the age of two as bitches and males. At this time, the dogs are already formed enough to have healthy puppies. It is best to start mating at 11-15 days from the start of estrus in a bitch.
Training and education
The French Mastiff is a very clever dog, so there are no problems with raising children. If from childhood to teach the dog to the human society and other pets, it will be an exemplary friend and a good companion. The basic rule is not to praise the dog for cases of aggression in childhood. Well, the dog must be thoroughly engaged, but not allowed to flow. No matter how soft her character is, it’s still a dog, and a very rather big one.
Nicknames for boys and girls: how to call?
The choice of nicknames is very diverse. The owner of the breeder can limit only the first letter of the name, which should be in the pedigree, passport and other documents on the dog.
Suitable names for boys:
Popular names for girls:
Compare with Bullmastiff
- Both breeds have similar beautiful appearance. This is due to the structure of the muzzle and body. However, the bullmastiff is a mixture of mastiff with a bulldog, so it is inferior in size to the French mastiff,
- Unlike the Bordeaux, the bullmastiff always wears a mask on his face,
- The bullmastiffs are noticeably more active than the Bordeaux. They will be happy to run in the morning with the owner, play active games with a ball, a flying saucer or a regular stick. Dogue de Bordeaux will be very lazy to do all this. He is more suitable for walks,
- The nature of the representatives of both breeds is the same. These are very intelligent, loyal and friendly dogs who like to play with the kids and put up a purring cat sleeping on its paw,
- Both breeds have excellent guarding and guard skills,
- Both breeds are European. However, at a time when the mastiff of Bordeaux was bred in France, the birthplace of the bullmastiff is Great Britain,
- For an apartment more suitable bullmastiff with its smaller size. But still it is better to keep both dogs in the yard of a private house.
- Color Cane Corso has a much wider list of permitted colors than Bordeaux,
- Lifespan. Cane Corso according to average data live for 2-3 years longer than the French mastiff,
- Cane Corso are somewhat smaller than Bordeaux Mastiff, Top - Cane Corso, bottom - French Mastiff
- According to the classification standards of the International Canine Federation, the ears and tail should be stopped from the Italian mastiff. For the French mastiff, these procedures are carried out only for medical reasons (for example, tissue necrosis),
- Cane Corso puppy will cost approximately 17-20 thousand rubles less,
- Cane Corso - playful and active dogs. Bordeaux is lazy and immobile.
Guess Cane Corso or French Mastiff:
In 1989, the cult film in the genre of the drama “Turner and Hooch” was shot, where one of the main roles was played by a dog of the French Mastiff breed named Beezley. After this film, the breed had a new wave of popularity.
Adorable puppy photo! Crime scene photo
Well, just a picture!
Features of the breed - informative video:
Bordeaux Great Danes will suit many. They get along with any animals and people. For their territory, they will fight to the last. For households, the Bordeaux will be best friends.
Any interesting stories about your pet? Any questions? Leave comments, write reviews! We welcome your answers!
History of origin
Dogue de Bordeaux is a relatively young breed that was bred in France, but the history of their ancestors, the direct descendants of the Molossians, goes back much deeper, it can be assumed that it dates back centuries, but it's hard to say where, when and how they appeared.
The first written mention of Molossian French dogs is found in a book about a hunt of the 14th century. It describes the pickling dogs, which were mestizo hounds and moloss, they were called Alans and were divided in turn into three breeds: alan gentil were heavy greyhounds, alan vautre - three times stronger than them, and alan de boucherie had a yellow color with dark gray or black stripes, broad head and drooping lips. They were used to bait a boar or a bear. Later, the French word "Alan" was supplanted by the English "mastiff".
After the revolution in the 18th century, many dogs were destroyed with the owners or exported abroad, and the rest were crossed with other breeds. The French mastiff is preserved only because dog fights were popular in southern France until the early 20th century. An authoritative German author can be told that the Bordeaux mastiffs are direct descendants of Aquitaine dogs, they lived in isolation in the mountainous regions of Aquitaine and were preserved in relative purity.
The modern history of Bordeaux began after his first exhibition in Paris in 1863. It was a review of the entire dog population of France and it presented 8 heads of Molossian dogs, but only one, namely, the Bordeaux Great Dane was noticed. The name of the breed stuck and over the next 20 years, enthusiasts actively engaged in its breeding, adhering only to their own opinions and lines, therefore, not without blood flow, in particular the blood of the English mastiff. Officially, the breed was registered in 1883.
Appearance and standards
Dogue de Bordeaux is a typical Molossian type dog, brachycephalic, stocky with an athletic physique and muscular body. In this breed, there is a large variation in growth of 55-70 cm. The weight of dogs should be at least 50 kg, bitches - at least 45 kg.
The head is wide, voluminous, rather short and angular. Muzzle wide. Nose is pigmented according to the color of the mask, too light is undesirable. Nostrils open wide. Jaws are wide, powerful, teeth in full set. Bite - snack.
Lips tight, sagging, form flews. Eyes oval, widely spaced. The skin of the eyelids should not be too loose and completely expose the conjunctiva. The color of the iris is brown. The ears are small, raised on the cartilage, located high and emphasize the width of the skull. The neck is powerful, almost cylindrical, muscular; between the neck and the head, the skin forms a transverse crease.
The back is wide, muscular. The chest is deep. The croup is slightly sloping towards the tail. The tail at the base is thick, tapers towards the tip. In a calm state, it keeps low, reaches the hock joint, and in active state it rises by 90-120 °, without twisting or bending to the back. Limbs strong straight, set parallel.
The skin is thick, loose on the body. The coat is thin, short and soft to the touch. The length of the guard hair is not more than 2 cm. The undercoat is not thick, short. The color is monochrome, all shades of red, white spots on the legs and chest are allowed.
Character and psychological portrait
Dogue de Bordeaux is calm and balanced with high intelligence and self-esteem. His actions are always deliberate and noble. Bordeaux will not pay attention to the petty dog scuffle and will not bark over nothing. But at the same time he has excellent guard qualities and is able to protect not only the owner, but his property from encroachment.
Dogue de Bordeaux requires constant contact with the person, and in return will be able to offer his unlimited devotion, love and trust. For children, these dogs are treated well, with patience and understanding. But all this is only provided competent education. The owner of the Bordeaux must be an experienced dog handler with a firm hand who can become a leader and mentor for a serious dog.
A well-trained French mastiff is comfortable with other pets, including dogs. If the fellows do not show aggression, he will be friendly with them, small vociferous dogs will rather ignore them, and will respond to the angry dog with aggression with lightning speed.
Maintenance and care
Bordeaux dog is more convenient to keep in a large apartment or private house. Co-habitation in a small-sized dwelling is associated with a number of difficulties, the dog must be given its own resting place, and it should be said rather big, the place in the kitchen will be occupied by bowls, but besides this breed is rather salivating. For year-round living on the street Bordeaux not adapted.
It is easy to care for the Bordeaux dog wool, periodically it is combed with a special rubber glove that helps to remove dead skin and wool. They bathe the dog as it is polluted, usually every few months. Feature of care is the daily cleansing of the folds on the face. They need to remove dirt and dust to prevent irritation and the development of infection. Periodically wash the eyes, clean the ears and teeth. Every 2-3 weeks they cut the claws.
Diet and health
Food is the determining factor in the health of the dog. It must be remembered that these are carnivores and most of their diet should be protein products: beef, fillet of lean fish, dairy products, cartilage, by-products, eggs, butter. From plant foods: vegetables, fruit cereals. If the dog's diet is based on natural food, vitamin and mineral supplements are administered. For Bordeaux mastiff, you can also choose ready-made food not lower than the premium class, which will meet the physiological needs of the dog. Particular attention is paid to feeding puppies. Clean drinking water should always be freely available.
Despite its age, the breed has virtually no genetic diseases. One can only note a predisposition to dysplasia of the hip and elbow joints, but this disease is the scourge of most large breeds and is more often associated with improper growing of a puppy or an unbalanced diet. Adult dogs have a tendency toward cancer. In bitches there are difficulties in childbirth because of the large head of puppies. Life expectancy is 8-10 years.
Choosing a puppy and the price of Dog Bordeaux
Bordeaux mastiff is not worth buying thoughtlessly, it will not be easy to grow a good dog out of it. Therefore, for the time spent searching for breeders, nurseries, meeting with representatives of the breed and standards, it is worth considering whether you really want to see this dog near you in the next 10 years.
Of course, it is worth deciding in advance why you need a puppy. Conventionally, they are all divided into 3 classes. The most expensive puppies of the show or breed class have excellent exterior and prospects, it is likely that they will take prizes at exhibitions and participate in breeding. Pet-class puppies, of course, must also be pedigree, but their appearance does not have such stringent requirements, some pedigree defects are allowed (color, size of ears, bite, etc.) but they are not so important if the dog is a companion and only.
Arriving at the litter, you need to make sure that it is kept warm and clean, check the documentation of manufacturers and puppies. Only after that you can go to the inspection of the kids. They must be healthy mentally and physiologically, without injuries of lameness, bald patches, dirty areas on the skin or coat. If you plan to attend a dog show or breeding it is better to contact an independent expert on the breed for help.
The price of a Bordeaux puppy dog depends on its pedigree, class, nursery and varies in a fairly wide range - from $ 500 to $ 1,000 and above.
Mastiffs originate from Molossian dogs who fought with gladiators in ancient Rome and ancient Greece. Several centuries ago they were brought to France by Roman legionnaires and used for hunting and protection. Under British rule in Bordeaux, these dogs interbred with English mastiffs, hunting mastiffs, from which, probably, took on enormous dimensions. From here came the second name - Dogos de Bordeaux, under which the representatives of this breed participated in the first exhibition of French dogs in 1863.
Character and temperament
Making at first glance the impression of himself as an aggressive or fighting dog, the French mastiff is in fact distinguished by friendliness and devotion. He has a particularly good relationship with children. Mastiff is always ready to play, meekly and patiently pulls the pranks of the little ones and never hurts them. On the contrary, he seeks to take care of everyone: both small children and domestic animals.
Despite the apparent slowness and silly appearance, it is worth noting a fairly high level of intelligence of dogs of this breed. The French mastiff is able to win over, he is very sociable and unusually attached to his master. Being alone, begins to yearn.
Dogs of this breed are different and guard qualities, bravely showing them if necessary, but without excessive aggression. Even with the appearance of a potential aggressor, the mastiff will not raise barking in vain; he is capable of demonstrating strength and power with his intimidating look.
Training and training
Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) - the dog is very vulnerable and sensitive. Therefore, it is necessary to engage in its training consistently, in a calm and friendly atmosphere, while praising the pet with each correct execution of the team. Rough shouts, unfair punishments can lead to the appearance of insecurity in the dog and melancholy.
When properly educated, Dogo Bordeaux opens all its best qualities, and, conversely, making mistakes in this matter or lack of training can make a dog dangerous to others.
Mastiff French is very easy to learn and train; he is able to understand the owner literally from one word and to obey without question. To rush to his defense will be only on command or at the time of real danger.
Features of raising a puppy
Literally from the first days of the appearance of this amazing breed of puppy in the house, it is necessary to tame him to human hands.
And it does not necessarily have to be only the hands of the owner. It is desirable that a variety of people take a puppy, stroke and communicate with him. Such socialization is very important and absolutely does not damage the protective qualities of the dog in the future. The room where the baby is located should be spacious enough. This will eliminate the appearance of various developmental disabilities.
The French Mastiff (photos of representatives of this breed are placed in this article) will grow confident, beautiful and strong, if you observe all the rules on feeding and maintenance from a puppyhood age.
Unfortunately, the breed is not distinguished by longevity, and this is probably its only drawback. The average life expectancy of mastiffs is only 7–8 years.
General breed description
Mastiff - a large impressive dog that grows up to 65 cm at the withers.
The growth of some French representatives reaches the meter. Body weight varies from 70 to 90 kg.
Тяжёлая голова овальной формы покрыта многочисленными складками, не распространяющимися на корпус.
The short coat has a soft and silky structure, but has excellent protective properties saving the wearer from heat and strong overheating.
The coat color is predominantly golden, fawn or brown with a reddish sheen.
The presence of black tones or white specks on the chest or paws is allowed on the muzzle.
The proportionally folded body has well developed muscles and strong limbs.
The medium-length tail, thickened at the base, sinks down to the hock joints.
Ears of a hanging form, small length. Active temperament makes the mastiff mobile dog.
This gives the ability to develop high speed at short distances and overcome barriers of up to two meters.
The purpose of the French dog breed in the Middle Ages was to protect herds of animals and private property, to hunt large predators.
Sometimes they were used to participate in dog fighting and animal harassment.
Main character traits
Despite the aggressive purpose in the past, the mastiff is distinguished by its rare good nature and devotion.
He is able to patiently endure any pranks of children, not responding to hostility, and not causing harm.
Dogue wants to take care of any weaker creature, making no distinction between animals or people.
He is always ready for games and he eagerly responds to the proposed locomotor activity.
To some extent, the dog becomes an inconspicuous companion of the owner, it moves unobtrusively from room to room behind it, quietly lays aside and waits for the command or attention of the owner.
Mastiff has a high intellect and is able to prove himself from the best side.
Developed observation and the ability to carry out associations between the events that happened more than once will cause surprise on the part of the owners.
Excellent guard qualities are organically combined with the absence of excessive aggressiveness.
When a threat appears, the dog does not fill up with empty barking, but confidently demonstrates its own power and intention to protect the territory.
Mastiff well defines the belonging of people to the categories of "friend or foe" and does not show excessive hostility towards familiar people.
Care and maintenance rules
The French Mastiff needs regular walks with medium motor activity.
This helps him to avoid obesity and the development of concomitant diseases associated with overweight.
Dog walking is carried out twice a day, the time is chosen individually by the owner.
Heavy physical activity and active running is not required, but the provision of personal space, where the mastiff can run around without problems, is welcome.
It is imperative to observe hygiene, the representatives of the French breed calmly take care of the procedure: they allow them to wash and clean their paws, comb the wool during the molting period.
The folds of the skin of the mastiff need careful care, they are cleaned of impurities and washed if necessary.
The accumulation of dirt can not be allowed - it can lead to the development of skin diseases.
Ears, eyes and claws are checked once or twice a month, cleaned if necessary.
Claws are sheared only if they have not turned off themselves. French roots make the dog extremely thermophilic, for dwelling it needs a warm room.
Permissible maintenance in a city apartment under the condition of constant walking.
When feeding a dog, it is important to maintain regularity and schedule, it is advisable to give out food at the same time in order to avoid attempts to solicit extra treats from the host's table.
The water in the bowl must be constantly fresh, it needs to be changed regularly.
Food is balanced, regardless of whether natural or fresh food is used in the diet.
French representatives of the breed need a large amount of protein, so with natural feeding it is important to give products with a high protein content: meat, lean fish, by-products, eggs.
In addition to cereals and vegetables, the dog needs a specialized vitamin complex.
Upbringing and training
A calm and friendly character makes the mastiff dependent on a person's positive attitude towards him.
From the very first days of acquiring a puppy, he needs to be given access to human hands.
In this case, not only the owner, but also all other family members can caress and stroke him.
A puppy needs to constantly feel caring, loneliness develops in him anguish.
Constant care does not affect the guard quality of the pet, it remains a devoted and confident protector of the family.
When training a French mastiff, you should be calm and friendly attitude.
Successes should be encouraged, not only as a delicacy, but also with sincere words and emotions.
Roughness in handling a mastiff will lead to isolation and alienation of the dog, developing insecurity and susceptibility to the blues.
At the same time, it is necessary to maintain an even attitude, forming the dog's consistent character.
According to the standards, the mastiff should not be frightened by loud shouts, or rush to other animals.
Character must be balanced, without outbreaks of aggression.
The process of training is simple enough, the Dogue de Bordeaux is very intelligent and easily perceives commands, with pleasure in obeying the host.
In an aggressive situation, it attacks the ill-wisher only in the case of the corresponding command.
It should be remembered that an adult dog has a developed intellect, and attempts to train him will fail.
All the necessary skills and skills lay in the puppy age. The French representative of the breed of mastiff does not need specialized skills for protection.
It is important for a home defender to be able to distinguish between his own, delay and warn about the appearance of strangers, not to take food from outsiders.
You should not deliberately bring up aggression in the Dogue de Bordeaux.
If the dog is not accustomed to unconditional obedience from a very early age, it will be impossible to stop the sudden outbreak of aggression by such a large individual.
Etching a mastiff can result in serious injuries for the owner himself.
Instant response, the inability to stop and redirect to another goal - make it dangerous when consciously naming cruelty in a dog.
Bordeaux Great Danes, with proper education, are calm and balanced representatives of the French mastiff breed.
Possessing excellent guarding qualities, the dog will become an indispensable companion of the owner.
Patient companion in children's games and a guardian for weaker animals living in the territory of the house.
Let's look at the photos of the French representative of this breed. Often they look slow and clumsy, however, this is a rather deceptive impression.
If you are interested in a detailed history of the origin of this breed, then this video is for you. An experienced breeder Valentina will tell you in detail about the nature of these handsome men.