Several scientific theories immediately try to explain why parrots can talk. According to one of them, the birds can reproduce human speech due to the special structure of the vocal apparatus. In the throat of the feathered there are from 2 to 4 modulating devices (ligaments) and several resonating cavities. This specificity makes it possible for a parrot to easily move from bird chirping to speaking words.
In addition, the special form of the language contributes to the ability to speak. This organ in parrots is fleshy and fat. It helps to reproduce some of the sounds of human speech. However, this theory, explaining why parrots can talk, is considered quite controversial.
It is believed that the twitter of parrots is very close to the sounds that people pronounce. And it remains only to be surprised at the capabilities of the feathered pet to pronounce words in different languages. You might think that the parrot mechanically remembers the terms and repeats them in random order. But pet owners claim that their charges support the conversation in a very meaningful way.
Types of talking parrots
Almost all parrots can talk. There is a kind of top 5 best "talkers". So which parrots say better?
- The first place is occupied by a gray jaco. This feathered can chat tirelessly all the time. Jaco is a very intelligent bird, and it is a pleasure to talk with her. In addition to words, the bird easily imitates intonation, timbre and sometimes even an accent.
- More than 60 words can memorize the Amazon parrot. However, intonation and timbre are not subject to him.
- Kakadu quickly learns to talk. The white parrot is trained somewhat better than the other relatives. The chattering bird constantly needs the interlocutor. Therefore, deciding to buy a cockatoo, it should be understood that devoting a pet will have 100% of their time.
- The macaw can memorize a little - just 20 words. But they will be used by the bird according to the situation. The main difference between macaws is that it easily imitates any sounds - from the creaking of the door to convulsive cough.
- A wonderful “talker” among parrots is the Karella parrot. They learn, as a rule, a little - from 10 to 20 words. But, like the macaw, the bird reproduces well the sounds of nature and everyday objects. In addition, Karella sings and talks at the same time.
Which of the parrots is hardest to teach to keep up the conversation
The most common and relatively inexpensive - budgerigars. Birds can talk, but they do it rarely. Best of all, they communicate with their couple or with their image in the mirror.
Another hard-to-learn budget is lovebirds. However, breeders should remember that buying parrots is best in a pair. Lovebirds - a symbol of a strong family and faithful kinship. Being in a pair, parrots are hard to learn human speech. The host as an interlocutor they do not need. However, if the owner manages to teach the bird 10-15 words, it will be happy to repeat them with or without reason. The ability to memorize and repeat words depends on the gender of the bird. Males learn easier and faster than females.
Learning parrot speech rules
Having understood why parrots can talk, you can move on to "science." Getting to the training of pet feather speech, it is recommended to adhere to several rules:
- The bird at the age of 3 months is an ideal student. The older the parrot, the harder it is to train it. But young individuals are also not prone to memorization.
- In order for the training to be successful, it is necessary to create the appropriate conditions: the bird must be alone, without its relatives, without toys and a mirror. And, of course, absolute trust should reign between her and the owner.
- Start the lesson you need with the name of the bird. Thus, the birdie is accustomed to his own name and learns it.
- For a start, do not use long words and phrases. It is enough to choose from 4 to 8 nouns and constantly change their order. After some time, when the chick learns a given, you can add other parts of speech.
- Do not change the intonation often.
- Training should take place without radio or television. Otherwise, the bird risks automatically memorizing inappropriate phrases from TV shows.
- Teaching a pet, you should remember: whatever the parrot is white or multi-colored, large or small, it is necessary to communicate with it with love and attention. Only in such conditions the pet will learn the information with pleasure.
Why do parrots say
The speech apparatus of birds is similar to human. Their lower larynx performs the same function as our vocal cords. Birds, taking into their "flock" of a person, try to match it to the maximum and reproduce such sounds.
In terms of frequency, the parrot's voice is more similar to the female one, so sometimes the feathered creature can rather imitate male speech. By the way, some pets may try to memorize the words, because they know that in this case the person will pay attention to them. Oh what parrot appreciates attention to his person. This is a great tool in the hands of those who want to understand how a parrot can be taught to speak the fastest.
How to make a parrot say "Hello"
Step 1. Say it more often. Main secret: repeating the same word many times. You need to say the word as clearly as possible and more often when you are near the bird. The more times he hears a word, the more likely it is to memorize it. That is why some parrots may surprise guests profanity. When you pass the cage, stop for a moment to say “hi”. Even if he does not answer you, then you have laid this word in his memory - you have invested the “brick” in the first stage.
Step 2. One-on-one. Of course, it may take a little more time than you planned: "Moscow was not built right away." Try to set aside 15-20 minutes for the lesson. every day for individual training pernatics. Transfer him to an unusual area for him (for example, to another room).
Say the word slowly so that the parrot understands exactly what you are saying to him. Talk to him a little, give him a chance to answer. Keep repeating it day after day, and your bird will say to you, “Hello,” when you don’t expect it!
Watch as the wavy says: "Hello":
Step 3. Reward. When the bird says cherished word, be sure to encourage it. Positive reinforcement is a long-term perspective on future lessons: this will be one of the most valuable tools in training. Immediately after the first: “Hello” from the side of the bird-creature, treat him with a tasty treat, praise, show how good he is! For most parrots are suitable such delicacies as encouragement as slices of apple, banana, pear, carrot or celery, peanuts. Keep the treats handy, in close availability.
When and how can a parrot teach to talk
As with the training of any animal, the best effect will be achieved when training a pet when he is young, healthy, and he has confidence in you. Training should become part of the routine, at the same time session is best done shortso that the bird does not get bored.
In the wild, birds prefer communication in the evening and in the morning, so this time is perfect for training. Before starting, make sure that the room is quiet, there are no extraneous noises, other animals and birds are removed from the room (it’s quite difficult to train two parrots at once, so if you want to understand how to teach lovemaids, then everything is simple - train them separately).
- Show the bird that you love her. In nature, birds show their love for each other, gently rubbing their necks. You can gently touch the cheek piece on the neck of the bird-creature, saying: “I love you,” and then the bird will connect these words with what you say to her. Keep repeating this process and finally lightly touch your lips to the bird's beak.
When you kiss your beak, say, "Kiss", And over time the bird will understand that this word also refers to of loveyou share.
This step can be divided into several stages, depending on the learning skills. Be patient - it may take more than one week or a month.
The first few words to memorize are the most difficult, the most first sign the fact that the bird will speak - unintelligible murmure. She will continue to practice on her own without you, so when you hear a bird mumble some words, repeat it clearly.
- Gradually introduce words and phrases in contextso that the parrot begins to understand them. Sometimes it happens automatically, even if you are not aware of it. For example, when the phone rings, you pick up the phone and say, "Hello". The parrot, like a sponge, absorbs this information, and eventually begins to say: “Hello”, when the telephone rings. Or even imitate the sound of the phone to encourage you to say to him: “Hello”!
So, to use this training method, prepare a few phrases that you would like the bird to understand and use in the future. Use high and excited tonewhen you leave the house every morning, say “good morning” or “get up and shine.”
At night, when you close the cage or turn off the light, say "good night", and soon the bird will begin to repeat this call. Move on to learn the next word or phrase when completelywill be studied previous one
Call it products, vegetables, fruits, which he eats, and use special symbols for objects of his games. For example, if he likes to play with a key chain, then designate that this is the “key chain” when the bird turns its attention to this item. Then, when she begins to repeat this word, give her a chain to enhance the effect. It is better to use for this purpose. small and bright objects.
- Make sure the parrot is in front of you when you teach it to talk.so he can watch you speak.
Pernatics learn to communicate using imitation and imitation. In addition, it is a sure way to attract the attention of the bird.
A common mistake is previously learning to whistle.. Especially often this mistake is made by people who want to understand how to teach to speak Corella. After all, Corella is the biggest fan of whistling. Wait until the parrot acquires at least a minimum vocabulary before teaching him to whistle. As soon as he learns whistlingthen usually ignores Almost all the wordspreferring whistling.
Useful advice: the birds are very fond of attention, but ignoring them upsets. Therefore, if during a workout you notice bad behavior, then just turn around and walk for a few seconds. Most likely, the bird will understand that this is not the reaction that she would like.
The bird remembers well such words and phrases that will surely amuse you and your guests:
- Want a nut?
- Good boy
- I want to come
- Go here
- Sit down
- Love you
- Hi baby
- Bye Bye
- Time to sleep
- Help! They turned me into a parrot!
- I can talk, can you fly?
- I am not a bird, birds do not talk!
Training can begin at any age, even at the youngest. A parrot may be too young to speak, but not to memorize words! If you start talking to just fledglingthen the trust and effectiveness of communication will be higher.
Birds this age easy to attach to people and possess certaintynecessary for vocal interaction. Be meek, kind and patient, and these birds will quickly learn to trust you and respond to you.
Of course, as long as they “cluck”, asking for food, they are unlikely to say the words. But in more adult age, you will see that your labors were not in vain. Experimenting with words, flapping wings and first flight attempts often occur at about the same age.
A parrot is best taught words from childhood.
Chicks will throw up their heads, listen carefully to you and recognize the words, even if they are too small to repeat them. By the time little parrots reach age 3-6months, and big parrots - 6-12 monthsthey start to repeat words and phrases.
If you buy not too young birdthat fears people teach her speak it will be difficult if not is impossible. Birds must first learn to trust people. Many never gain confidence in a person. They require a longer period of socialization than for the chick.
A parrot's abilities may also depend on its gender. For example, wolvists speak only males. In this case, the vocabulary is likely to be modest. Nevertheless, the wavy parrot Pak, who entered the Guinness Book of Records, knew 1,770 words.
Express method to learn your name in 5 minutes a day
Best A way to quickly teach a bird to pronounce your name - include in the sentence she already knows. When the bird passes the first step, and learns to speak words, start adding its name to this word.
For example: "I love you, Polly," or "Hello, Polly," if she already knows the word "Hello." Repeat this phrase often during the day and during class. 2 lessons per day for 5-10 minutes at a time much more efficientthan longer sessions once every few days. The bird will forget what you are trying to teach it if you are not consistent. Within a few days there is a chance to hear the name from your pet's beak!
When the parrot speaks
On average, parrots begin to speak very well (subject to regular training) from 3 months to a year from the start of training. Of course, it depends on the ability to learn the conversation, its nature, ability and desire to speak. Gradually, vocabulary will be replenished if you continue to devote sufficient time to your pet.
Remember that when the parrot will speakthen pretty quickly will start memorize and to repeat everything that hears from time to time, incl. and conversations between households, swearing among themselves, or even the constant call of a cat for lunch. All this will be repeated without hesitation!
Review of computer methods for Android
1. "Phrasebook for parrots." Is free. Download here.
The program is distributed free of charge. There are several levels of difficulty. The list of words to remember:
I love you.
The program automatically repeats the word every few seconds. Using the program is best set to half an hour session for effective results.
2. "Spoken genre for parrots." Chargeable. Download here.
You can use the program to teach birds words, phrases, and various sounds. You can install and use the program on a desktop computer or laptop. Together with the program you get the main set of words and phrases that are best suited for the first workouts. It is best to use the program periodically, several times a day for 5-8 minutes.
3. "Training Cockatiel". Free. In English. You can download the link.
Want a parrot to learn to pronounce your favorite phrase? The program provides the ability to record and use when learning user sounds recorded through the application "recorder".
4. "Recorder." Is free. Download here.
There is nothing easier than to write or speak words into a voice recorder or record phrases in mp3 that will teach the bird instead of you. Of the minuses, we can highlight the lack of communication with the feathers, and after all, trust is an important component of successful learning!
5. Techniques that can be found on YouTube. For example, watch a video on how to teach a parrot to talk. You can simply include this video of your pet when you leave home:
The most capable students
It is believed that all parrots are trainable, but there are breeds that have a higher level of speech susceptibility. For example, one of the smartest birds - Jaco. These large, seemingly inconspicuous parrots possess the intelligence of a three-year-old child. They, regardless of gender, quickly learn conversational speech, are able to conduct a dialogue.
Perfectly imitate sounds and bright amazons. They are not as clever as Jaco, but more friendly and contact. Amazon parrots imitate the sounds of nature, whistling melodies, say short sentences. On average, their vocabulary consists of 80–100 words.
Impress lexicon can and wavy parrot. He operates with a hundred words, perfectly remembers the intonations of the human voice. However, the diction of these parrots is rather weak. The wavy speech is quiet and fuzzy, similar to chirping. An important caveat - real boys can be called only boys of this breed. Females prefer to remain silent. The most capable of girls are limited to a dozen words.
A laconic, but clever interlocutor - this is how the macaw can be described. These large, bright birds live on average 50–80 years. They get along well with dogs, cats and other pets that live in the house, they understand the owner, perform simple commands. Ara can reproduce two dozen words, including fragments of songs.
One more parrots, those that can be taught to speak quickly, are Corellas.Charming feathered with a bright "blush" on the cheeks and fervent tufted, though laconic, speak more clearly of the wavy. They have a sharp, shrill voice. In contrast to the Jaco, the parrot Corella does not understand the meaning of words, therefore, often uses them out of place.
The rate of training of birds is influenced not only by the breed and gender, but also by the psychological state, age. It is noticed that it is easier for the verbal contact to go to pets kept in normal conditions, not injured by frequent changes of owners and place of residence. Heredity also matters. Which parrot is easier to teach to say - chick or mature? The best age for learning speech is 1–4 months. Older parrots remember words worse, so you will need more perseverance and patience.
Instructions for learning parrots
The first thing you need to psychologically position the bird. The parrot cage should be placed in a quiet, isolated room, away from the doorway, dark corners and direct sunlight. On the day of purchase you should not irritate the bird with your presence. Let her look around and calm down. During the following days, you often need to approach the cage just to stand silently. You should start learning when the bird is accustomed to you: reacts with interest to your presence, eats from your hand.
How to teach talking wavy parrot?
- Even at the stage of domestication with the bird you need to communicate. It is necessary to talk tenderly, without insults. Understand that the parrot is interested, you can by frequent blinking, moving his beak.
- When a bird becomes tame, you can teach it to say its own name. Words need to be pronounced clearly, repeatedly repeated.
- Classes should be held daily at the same time. It is good if the first lessons are short - 10-15 minutes in the morning (before breakfast) and in the evening (before bedtime).
- After the parrot utters its name, you can move on to a new word. As the vocabulary expands, the lessons become longer (30–40 minutes), but less frequently (1–2 times a week).
- The material needs to be gradually complicated - from words to pass to phrases. So that the bird does not forget what has been learned, it should be repeated periodically.
- Parrots imitate any sounds well, so with them you can learn not only the words, but also the motives of the songs. To do this, you must regularly whistle the same melody, put a record. This method is well proven. The recording should be of high quality and not too long.
How to quickly teach a parrot to talk? The main thing in the classroom is regularity. If you are consistent, persistent and patient, the budgie will speak in a couple of months. In some cases, the training of the male takes six months. But the females may not speak at all.
How to increase learning productivity
Rule number "1" - you need to create favorable conditions for learning. Parrots are curious, and therefore easily distracted by extraneous noises. In the room where there is a lesson, should be quiet. For the duration of the lessons, mirrors and other toys are removed from the cage so that the pet is not distracted. After the lesson, they must be returned back. They teach one parrot, and the rest (if they exist) are temporarily resettled so as not to distract the student. The speaker must also be alone - a person whom the bird unconditionally trusts. It is noticed that parrots react better to women's and children's voices, but the teacher may well be a man if he tries to speak softly and loudly.
The first words should be simple: consist of two open syllables. The sounds of [a], [к], [о], [п], [р], [т] are given most easily to parrots. To make it easier for your pet to remember, the spoken word must be supplemented with action. For example, entering the room, you can say "hello". For any success you need to respond: praise the parrot, reward delicacy. But to be angry, shouting, if something does not work out for the bird, it is impossible. She can withdraw, become aggressive.
So, each parrot is trained, but its susceptibility to speech depends on the breed, gender, age and state of health. The most communicable are Jacquot, Amazons, Cockatoo, Macaw, Corella, Wavy. It is important not only what parrots can be taught to speak, but how to do it. Classes should be regular and short, and tasks should be gradually complicated.