This adorable dog, which looks like a nimble imp or a cartoon character, according to one of the legends of origin was bred in America, and began to be widely used in Britain, where this terrier was recognized as a gentleman’s dog. The representatives of this breed have a characteristic black and white coat color, which allows them to be distinguished from ordinary terriers or from a bulldog.
The history of the breed
Apparently, these dogs, which were bred in the United States in the nineteenth century, were indeed artificially crossed in Boston, the most aristocratic city of New Britain. Breeders of America, as is commonly believed, used white British Terriers and English Bulldogs for crossing. The first individuals saw the light in 1865, and then the experts began working on the Boston terrier, switching from the bulldogs themselves to boxers or bull terriers for the whole crossing process.
This version has a lot of evidence. The ancestor of the whole breed is the dog, nicknamed Ja-ja, the Bull Terrier, who arrived in Massachusetts by ship. Its owner decided to continue breeding, noticing how his pet "paid attention" to the neighbors' dog, whose breed was not known. The result was the emergence of the Boston terriers. Then the owner of the dog mated between each other Ja-ja puppies. Then the grandchildren appeared. The male continued mating until the breed standard appeared. In 1878, an exhibition was held where these dogs were presented to the public, and after a few decades, these “round-headed boules” began to enjoy unprecedented demand, hitting the European continent.
On the territory of England, in the post-war period, the dog managed to settle down, as the Europeans could not notice the difference between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog. At the same time, if we talk about the peculiarities of character, these dogs cannot even be compared with each other.
At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the first representatives of the breed appeared in Russia, gaining extraordinary popularity. And in the US, the Boston Bulldog still ranks among the 25 most common breeds. They managed to achieve this at the expense of a polite disposition, patience, sociable character.
Initially, these animals were considered decorative, which are great for keeping in an apartment, and can become faithful comrades to the owner and children. And all these functions performed these dogs perfectly.
Breed standard description
The Boston terrier got from the nature of an unusual appearance and medium size. Usually, the height of individuals at the withers is around 40 cm; if we take into account their small weight, these values can be considered impressive. Terriers live, if their content is correct, about 14-16 years. An adult dog reaches a weight of 10 kg, if these indicators are exceeded, then the terrier is considered to be a pampered overweight dog.
If you rely on FCI standards, the Boston terriers come in three classes, depending on their size:
- Small - weight does not exceed 6.7 kg.
- Medium - weight in the range from 6.7 to 9 kg.
- Large - weight in the range from 9 to 11.36 kg.
Usually the Boston terrier has a brindle color, that is, on the skin there are symmetrical white specks:
- In the area of the limbs and chest.
- In the forehead area.
- Limbs from the back.
- Sometimes on the tail.
- On the lower jaw.
The head of the representatives of the square-shaped breed resembles the shape of the face of a French bulldog. The nose is pigmented black, eyes brown, slightly protruding. The ears are small, pointed and stick up. The tail of the representatives of the breed is often stopped, in itself is thin and not very long.
Currently, the original decoration of these dogs is firmly entrenched, and many people opt for the Boston terrier, so that their children have an excellent companion. Terriers have a very peculiar appearance, so breeders often do not feel enthusiastic about her. But one should not reject such a choice only because of the appearance of the animal, because their character is simply amazing.
These dogs are amazing, suitable for living in an apartment, as they are miniature and very clean animals, in this plan resembling a cat. In this case, it is advisable not to start a terrier, if you plan to live in a house in the country, as these dogs can hardly adapt to the open space and free conditions.
Boston terriers are small, friendly, loyal and very active dogs who unconditionally trust their owner. Regularly, their excessive vigor and strong build can annoy the owner, but you should show a little patience and pay attention to your pet. It is not recommended to ignore the kid's thirst for play, it is often better to play with the puppy, otherwise the dog will grow up as a lazy and sleepy animal.
It is unlikely that someone who is well acquainted with the Boston terriers can call them arrogant, boring and lazy animals. These dogs are always cheerful, active, and like to play in their free time with the owner or children, go for a walk. Like a real terrier, this dog will run through the grass.
In a society of breeders of the Boston terrier are often considered a little stubborn and capricious, while he can become an excellent companion to the owner, and with the necessary training will always be a faithful helper and friend.
It is noteworthy that small dimensions do not interfere with the use of these dogs as watchmen. At the same time, this kind of service needs an enormous amount of patience in the process of dressing; otherwise, a dog who does not know how to distinguish strangers will quietly run after any person. Usually there are no problems with the process of training, as the terriers calmly react to training, are ready to obey people of all ages, and even without problems they find a common language with other pets. However, sometimes the Boston terrier can show aggression in relation to the representatives of other breeds: being in their own territory, these dogs are sometimes owners.
Keep in mind that the Boston terriers have a vulnerable character, so do not shout at the pet during his training, because the dog can take offense and remember the insult for a long time.
These animals have an amazing feature that is comfortable for the owners - they, following the instincts, are always ready to rely on the owner and trust him, despite what he does. The terrier believes that any act of the owner is necessarily done for good. Also, there are no difficulties in the care and upbringing of a pet, as these dogs always listen to the owner. Even the veterinarian and the accompanying procedures are ready to endure implicitly, being confident in the decision of the owner.
Fact! On a par with high energy, terriers have an enviable exposure. These dogs are very calm, almost do not show aggression and never fall into a rage.
Also, a nice feature is that the Boston terriers have a conscience, and if the dog is naughty, then the pet will repent for the perfect offense - you will certainly notice it.
Features of care for the Boston terrier
- Walking This is a breed that needs regular and long walks. It is necessary to bring a pet under the open sky twice a day or more, to actively play with him and engage in training.
- Feeding. It is a very unpretentious animal, which sometimes turns into problems with the intestines. If you use dry food, which will be balanced, or natural food, with the exception of sweets and harmful products, the coat of the pet will not lose its gloss and smoothness.
- Coat Many dog lovers decide to have a Boston terrier, relying on the fact that these animals are short-haired. And in fact, these little dogs do not need special care, since the moult happens only once a year, and then for a short time. If possible, for regular combing is better to use a metal brush.
- Water treatments. Bathe your pet often should not be. It is enough to wipe the paws after walking, and in other situations you can pay attention to the white patches of hair, and if the dog is dirty, it's time to bathe. When a pet has eaten, you can use a soft napkin to wipe the muzzle.
- Eyes. It is advisable to use a cotton swab moistened with chlorhexidine or saline to wipe the eye area. If the dog suffers from tearing, purulent discharge, you can brew a very weak tea and, dipping a cotton swab into it, gently dab your eyes.
- Seasons. In winter, it is important to provide proper care for the Boston terrier. Having a short coat, the pet is very cold. Therefore, experts recommend the use of puhovichki designed for this season. And in the summer heat it is better not to go out too often under the scorching sun, as the terrier can easily overheat.
The structure of the skull and the dog's larynx is determined by the fact that often terriers snore. And this is probably one of the few minuses of Bostons, to which the owners, adoring the doggie, can quickly get used to.
These animals can perfectly endure hours of loneliness, so you should not worry if you left the pet alone with you. However, for too long a period you should not leave a terrier, because otherwise its psyche can be undermined. If you cannot take your pet with you for a long time, then it is important to have another dog for your company or a cat in the house.
Boston Terrier Health
Given the physical abilities that are laid in the Boston terrier nature, we can say that this breed is unpretentious to external conditions and has high endurance. However, these animals have their weak points:
- Their eyes are always bulging. Consequently, they can be traumatized by fragments of debris, dust.
- A terrier often falls ill with otitis, sinusitis and a number of other inflammatory processes - the sinuses and ears suffer.
- Sometimes, when the Boston terrier only matures, he develops a juvenile cataract. If it is noted that the puppy has become worse to see, his eyes seem to be clouded and absent, you should immediately contact the veterinarian.
- About 6 percent of dogs are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Quite a few dogs are prematurely dying due to feeding errors, cancer or problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Boston Terrier Nutrition
In these animals, the muzzle is short enough, therefore, it is important to decide in advance what to use as food. Your pet will not have a very roomy stomach, which requires feeding twice a day. It is important that the terrier always has a cool clean water near it. Do not take ordinary water from the tap, if there is no filter, as it is filled with chlorine and other harmful elements.
It is necessary to choose a diet, having defined - it will be a natural food or a dry forage. It is important to understand that the feed should be selected in accordance with the size of the pet.
- Many people choose natural food. Food in this case should be finely chopped, otherwise the puppies will not be able to properly eat the proposed food.
- Initially, in the morning it is recommended to offer low-fat cottage cheese, you can with honey. You can also add kefir.
- Be sure to offer lean meat - can beef or veal.
- You can alternate between vegetables and cereals: buckwheat and rice.
- If the puppy is offered a natural food, the diet is important to dilute with vitamins and minerals.
Upbringing and training
An incredible feature of the Boston terriers is their unconditional trust in the owner, all-consuming love and respect. It always turns out that the puppy of a terrier is easily exposed to training. They do not doubt that classes are held correctly, that they are extremely important, and therefore it is possible to master the entire training program for a short period. And thanks to a serious, calm and balanced character, dogs behave restrained and polite when trained. At the same time, it is important to understand that you need to train your pet in a quiet and confidential environment, which should be accompanied by obedient execution of those commands that are put in front of the pet.
History of origin and birthplace of Boston Terrier breed
The formation of the breed began in the city of Boston (USA, Massachusetts). The dog, considered the progenitor of the Boston Terriers, was acquired in 1865 by a resident of the city from one of the English sailors. Male was a classic representative of the bull terriers: large, stocky, with a rounded head and bite straight. Called the dog Judge.
The first litter was obtained by randomly stitching a dog with a neighbor's dog. It was a white bitch with a strong body. Puppies inherited from the father the shape of the head, but everything else was given to them by the mother. They turned out to be of the same type and outwardly resembled a cross between a bulldog and a bull terrier.
To consolidate the resulting exterior were tied brother and sister of this litter - Wells Eph and Tobins Kate. In the following matings, Judge himself and puppies obtained from Ef and Kate were used. All born dogs gave off a powerful physique and massive skull.
"Started" a new breed in 1878, taking part in a large dog show. Officially, the Boston Terrier was recognized by the ACU as an independent breed only in May 1893..
The descendants of Judge took part in the further selection work, but later it was necessary to introduce fresh blood. As a result, the Boston Terriers were crossed with Old English White Terriers. This greatly influenced the appearance of the dog, ennobling the features and completely removing the primitive-rough appearance of the ancestors.
Officially recognized breed in 1893.
It is worth noting that modern Boston Terriers are elegant companion dogs, in no way resembling a Bull Terrier.
Description of the Boston Terrier breed
Boston terriers are good-natured, completely non-aggressive, but at the same time exhibiting good guarding qualities of domestic dogs.
The carried out selection work was aimed at breeding a “family” dog intended for keeping in an apartment. Boston terriers on the street can not live, because they completely lack the undercoat.
The dog is extremely active and needs daily long walks. It is worth noting that the Boston Terriers are very clever and cheerful.
Appearance, standards for the Boston Terrier breed and photos
The Boston Terrier, in order to be allowed to compete, must fully comply with the FCI breed standard No. 140, approved on April 12, 1998.
- lungs - no more than 6.8 kg,
- medium - 6.8 ... 9 kg,
- heavy - 9 ... 11.35 kg.
Height at withers - 38 ... 43 cm.
The breed standard is described as follows:
- Head. The square shape of the skull. Broad forehead. Folds on the skin are practically absent. The orbits and cheekbones are underlined. Nose bridge with pronounced bend. Thick lips completely cover the lower jaw. Square muzzle, shorter than the forehead,
- Teeth. Power do not differ. Smooth lower incisors. Bite straight, bulldog allowed. The mouth is square, deep and wide. The grip is weakened
- Boston Terriers are divided into three groups.
Nose. Large, with clearly defined nostrils. On the black lobe there is a smooth dividing groove,
Important! A tail that is set high or twisted in the steering wheel is recognized as a defect and can spoil the final estimates. But docking automatically disqualifies a dog: it cannot participate in breeding and shows.
Boston Terrier Character
Boston terriers fully justify their purpose. These are extraordinarily friendly and loving companion dogs. They are great for older people and get along well with children.
Animals are well trained and easily trained. But it must be remembered that, by the nature of the Boston Terriers, they can be stubborn, and therefore it is necessary to bring up pets from puppyhood.
The Boston Terrier lends itself well to training, but to begin to engage in a pet, you need from an early age.
Dogs are very sensitive and criticism is perceived very painfully.
Представители породы не агрессивны, но защищать свою семью они будут до последнего. Поскольку безгранично преданы своему хозяину и его окружению.
Все свое свободное время собака предпочитает проводить с хозяином. Place of stay and the duration of the visit for the Boston Terrier is not important. But at the same time he will not refuse to play with other dogs. Breed "friend" also does not matter.
The dog is self-sufficient and can be left at home unattended. But doing this too often is not recommended - the pet starts to get bored.
So, the character of the Boston Terrier is peaceful. Dogs are distinguished by a balanced psyche, they are not subject to rage, aggression and inappropriate behavior. Bostons are very clever and know perfectly well when and where they committed a misdemeanor.
Features of the maintenance and care of the Boston Terriers
Keeping and caring for a dog of this breed does not present any difficulties for the owner and consists of the following:
- daily walks,
- joint pastime including active games
- wool care
- proper feeding.
It is necessary to bathe a dog by necessity or in the event that it is very dirty. During bathing, a part of the protective fat layer is washed off from the coat, therefore frequent baths are not recommended for boston terriers.
After eating and returning from a walk, the dog’s face should be wiped with a damp cloth. This will help to remove dirt and food particles remaining in the folds of the skin near the mouth. In addition, the Boston love to drool, and they also need to wipe.
It is recommended to cut nails of this breed a couple of times a month.
The animal must regularly inspect the eyes. Periodically - when sourings appear - they need to be washed. For this purpose, suitable strong tea or decoction of chamomile.
Dogs are recommended to be trimmed twice a month. and be sure to grind sharp ends. Special tools are not required: just use a regular nail file.
Shedding in dogs runs with medium intensity. During this period, it is necessary to periodically comb out the hair with a special brush.
Tip! To keep the coat healthy, the dog needs to be combed once or twice a week.
Since the Boston Terriers have no undercoat, it is necessary to warm them up during the pet's winter walk. It is recommended to buy a jumpsuit or at least a sweater. In the summer, you need to ensure that the dog does not overheat.
How and what to feed the Boston terrier
Dogs of this breed have a small stomach, therefore they feed an adult dog no more than twice a day. The morning portion should be slightly larger than the one it receives in the evening.
In the process of organizing feeding there are several important points:
- It’s impossible to offer food to an animal immediately after a walk or physical activity, for example, playing
- the food a dog receives must contain a lot of protein
- overfeeding and underfeeding for an animal is harmful.
There are several recommendations regarding the amount of feed.
- For the first two months of life, a puppy should eat fractional: it should receive food at least six times. As you grow older, the number of feedings should decrease.
- By nine months, the number of feedings should correspond to the diet of an adult Boston Terrier, i.e. eating an animal will eat only in the morning and in the evening.
The following foods should be present in the dog’s diet:
- a fish. You can use both sea and river varieties,
- meat. The product should not be 40% of the total diet. The animal must receive both raw (70%) and boiled (30%) meat,
- skim cheese. Must be present in the puppy's diet during the entire period of active growth,
- vegetables and greens (25%). They must be carefully ground and introduced into the main dish. You can also give the animal and stewed in cream vegetables,
- the eggs. You can give every other day in any form - boiled, raw or scrambled eggs. Puppies are allowed to offer egg yolk once a week.
The diet of a puppy should include all the listed products. But the meat should be given only in boiled form.
As a snack between feedings, Boston Terrier is allowed to offer an apple. It is useful for the teeth of the animal, and improves the passage of the digestive process.
Giving dogs tubular bones is prohibited.
The following product categories are completely prohibited:
- any sweets - sugar, candy, chocolate, etc.,
- tubular bones,
- salty and spicy dishes,
- fatty food.
If you plan to feed your pet with dry feed, it is recommended to get expert advice. It will help you choose food and decide on the norm.
There is a series of feeds designed specifically for feeding Boston Terriers. It:
- BRIT (BRIT) PREMIUM JUNIOR S. Designed for feeding puppies and young dogs,
- BRIT (BRIT) PREMIUM LAMB & RICE. Hypoallergenic food for adult dogs.
If you feed the animal with dry feed, it is necessary to provide him with constant access to clean water.
Boston Terrier Health and Life Span
Nature has awarded the dog excellent physical qualities. But there is a breed and individual problems. These are eyes and ENT diseases.
The eyes of dogs are slightly bulging, and therefore suffer particularly badly. Dirt, debris and various injuries cause frequent inflammation.
In puppies, during a period of active growth, a juvenile cataract may develop. Pathology is expressed in an “absent” view and a blurred lens. Dog must urgently show the vet.
Dogs very often catch cold and suffer from various ENT diseases. In particular, otitis, sinusitis, rhinitis and other pathologies, accompanied by inflammation of the nasal and ear sinuses.
On average, dogs live for about 15 years.
Approximately 5% of all born puppies initially suffer from hearing loss and even complete lack of hearing.
With good care, the dog can live up to 15 years.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Boston Terrier
The advantages of the breed include the following points:
- calm character
- long life
- minimum of care and maintenance
The "minuses" are:
- the impossibility of street content,
- minimum security qualities
- poor adaptation to heat and cold,
- increased emotionality.
How to distinguish the Boston Terrier from the French Bulldog
Externally, dogs are quite different from each other. The Boston Terrier is a bit like a boxer. In a dog:
- straight paws,
- tucked up belly
- there are almost no folds on the face,
- wide chest.
The differences of the French Bulldog are:
- crooked paws,
- barrel chest,
- almond-shaped eyes
The next difference is the color of the coat. The Boston Terrier breed standard allows only three possible colors:
- seal (it is brown) with white spots,
- brindle (white) with white spots,
- black with white spots.
For the French bulldogs a wider range is allowed.
Boston Terriers are less aggressive than French Bulldogs. But if necessary, will be able to protect both the owner and himself.
How to choose where to buy a Boston Terrier puppy and owner reviews
How to choose a puppy? There are several recommendations to choose a good dog.
- Buy need a puppy and a half. It is at this age that they are ready to move to a new home.
- Strong body, smooth paws, small belly, shiny hair and clean eyes - this is a portrait of a healthy Boston terrier.
- Good puppies are curious and show a clearly friendly attitude: they run up to the guest, trying to play with him. They are not afraid of sharp sounds and movements.
Note! It is better to refuse to buy puppies who prefer to sit quietly in a corner and hide when approaching a stranger. To correct the nature of the pet is quite problematic.
Choosing an older Boston terrier is highly undesirable. The dog will long for the previous owner.
Kennels of Moscow and St. Petersburg:
- Tirina’s Planet, Moscow http://www.tirina.ru/
- "BON F SHOW" St. Petersburg http://bon-fo.wixsite.com/boston/blank-hwnmp
- "Golden Roses", Moscow http://www.zrossy.ru/
- "BOSTON STYLE" Moscow http://www.bostonterrier.ru/ru/index_ru.html
The price for a puppy in each case is set individually. On average, the purchase of an animal will cost 800 ... $ 1000.
Reviews of this breed are more positive than negative.
Reviews of the breed most often positive, but there are people who did not like the Bostons.
- “In my opinion, some freaks. Something vaguely reminiscent of the French bulldog. " Veronica,
- "The fierce look of a Boston terrier will scare anyone away." Catherine.
But in most cases, the owners of their Bostons simply adore.
- “This is real black and white happiness. With the advent of Boston in our family, life has become brighter and we laugh much more often. He tries so hard to cheer us up. A real four-legged miracle! ”
- “I am fidget in life, but at the same time I adore dogs. And the Boston terrier was perfect for my needs. At any time, day or night, he is ready to go anywhere with me, jump, run, have fun, just not to stay in one place. This is exactly the lifestyle that I prefer. And the activity of Boston makes him the best dog I've ever known. ”
The Boston Terrier is a dog for the whole family. This is the perfect companion, a distinctive feature of which is unlimited love for the owner.
Watch a video about this breed, from which you will learn a little more interesting and useful information, we wish you a pleasant viewing.
Appearance breed Boston Terrier
Boston Terrier is a small, well-balanced dog. The division by gender is not bright, but bitches are more subtle and tender. Growth of an adult individual is 37-43 cm. The body is as close as possible to the square format. Standard Boston Terrier, representatives of this breed is divided into 3 categories
- Up to 6.7 kg
- From 6.8 to 9.0 kg
- From 9.1 to 11.5 kg.
- The head is square, flat between the ears without folds and wrinkles. Eyebrows are well highlighted.
- Large round eyes set at a sufficient distance from each other, should have a dark iris.
- Ears are erect, without creases. Cupping is allowed.
- The muzzle is extensive, shortened and slightly flattened.
- Nose with pronounced nostrils should have black pigmentation. Liver color is considered a serious defect, and pink - a tribal marriage.
- Jaws are strong, square in shape with a slight undershot mouth.
- The neck is wide, slightly curved with a soft transition to the withers.
- The back is strong, short, without visible deflections.
- The limbs are erect, with well-developed muscles. Paws are small, rounded. Fingers tightly pressed to each other.
In running, the dog moves smoothly and freely. Paws rhythmically repeat springy and strong movements.
Type of coat and color
The coat of the Boston Terrier is smooth and shiny, without undercoat.
Acceptable color does not have a bright, diverse palette. The standard prescribes the breed to have
- Black and white wool color
- Seals (black with chestnut flare with white markings),
Mandatory light band between the eyes, mark on the chest and stroke around the muzzle.
Boston Terrier Character
Friendly dog combines activity and boundless trust to man. The breed is not prone to domination, and the readiness of the dog’s readable readiness to fulfill any desire of the owner is readable on the dog’s cute face.
The Boston Terrier does not make any noise in vain, but in pranks it is very inventive, it is not for nothing that he is called a clown dog.
Boston terrier dogs are great for all family members, not sharing them by age. Such a pet can be safely left alone with the baby, without fear that the animal will harm him.
The inquisitive dog gets along well with other animals, but the owner remains central to the dog's life.
The quivering and tender pet needs constant attention, it is hard for loneliness and lack of communication.
In puppyhood can be jealous and stubborn, but all this is easily corrected by proper upbringing and training.
Moving to a new home from the usual environment of birth, the puppy is frightened and not sure of himself. It is at this time, it is important to gain the confidence of the baby, and not to make major mistakes in education - not to allow the pet that will be prohibited later. In punishment the master must be firm and fair.
Boston Terrier has an inquisitive mind, he easily remembers the commands and gladly executes them. An inexperienced owner can cope with pet training if it responsibly approaches the upbringing process.
The sensitive terrier does not tolerate rough handling, even an elevated voice can knock an animal out of its usual rut for a long time. Most productively, learning takes place in the form of a game. Timely encouragement and praise will greatly accelerate the memorization of commands.
The first teams that ensure the safety of the pet and the calmness of the owner for a walk, are honed at home, during the vaccine quarantine period.
Important! Even if at home the commands “to me” and “near” are executed without question, you should not hurry to let the puppy off the leash on busy streets. The kid may be scared by the noise and unfamiliar surroundings. It is recommended to work out the execution of commands in different conditions.
How to choose a puppy
If a pet is taken as a pet and companion, then the pedigree is not of paramount importance, but it is still not worth buying a puppy from the hands of dishonest breeders. After all, the breed, it is not only the appearance, it is a balanced character, a stable psyche and the genetic health of the pet.
If you plan to show a career for your pet, then you should pay attention to the best nurseries.
When visiting a breeder, you need to make sure that the dogs are of good quality. The room where animals are kept must be clean, without unpleasant smell.
A nursing bitch may have faded and thinned fur, but it must be plump and clean. The nature of the mother can also say a lot. Calm and balanced dog wary, but without aggression related to strangers, is likely to give temperament to their children.
Healthy Boston Terrier puppies are cheerful, active and inquisitive. They are happy to make contact and try to explore everything around.
- The fur of babies is smooth, smooth and shiny. Bald patches and bald patches are not allowed, this may indicate the presence of worms or a more serious disease,
- The nose is wet and cool, without crusts and discharge,
- The eyes are shiny, clear and clean. Minor tear paths are acceptable.
- Paws of a puppy should be wide and straight. Inverted limbs or clumsy talk about rickets and improper feeding.
In general, the baby should be harmoniously complex, without unnecessarily long limbs and an excessively large head.
Maintenance and care
Boston terrier perfect for content even in a small apartment. He does not require constant physical exertion, and care for such a dog is extremely simple.
- It is enough to wipe the thin and short hair of the pet once a week with a rubberized glove to remove dead hair. During the molting period, the procedure is preferably carried out every other day,
- Bathe the Boston terrier only as needed,
- The list of daily procedures includes wiping the muzzle with a wet cloth. Particular attention should be paid to the nose,
- Eyes are wiped with boiled water every morning.
- Ears are cleaned with a special lotion at least 1 time in 2 weeks,
- The dog’s claws should be cut as they grow. Manipulation should be carried out carefully so as not to damage the blood vessels of the claw. If this does happen, you need to fill your finger with peroxide and press the cotton until the bleeding stops,
Important! Shorthair dog does not tolerate heat and cold, so walking in this weather should be reduced to a minimum.
Like many small breeds of dogs, the Boston Terrier requires two meals a day. Pet diet should be balanced and contain all the necessary trace elements and useful supplements.
Super premium production feeds are able to fully satisfy the pet's nutritional needs, and do not take time away from the owner to prepare food.
When feeding naturally, the dogs menu must be included
- Meat: beef, poultry,
- Fish: sea low-fat varieties,
- Dairy products,
- Groats: rice, buckwheat,
- Vegetables: carrots, cabbage, zucchini.
Boston terriers are great gourmet, and never give up dessert in the form of an apple, pear, or watermelon.
No animal feeding
- Fatty meats,
- River fish
- Millet and barley.
Important! Chocolate, smoked meats and muffins can cause irreparable harm to a pet.
Health and Disease
Boston Terrier has strong health and excellent immunity. But still they, too, occasionally get sick. They are characterized by such diseases.
- Congenital deafness. A genetic disease with which an animal is born and lives all its life. Dogs with such a defect are not allowed to breed.
- Brachycephalic syndrome. Impaired respiratory function provokes the special structure of the shortened muzzle. The disease is characterized by a narrowing of the lumen of the nostrils and the proliferation of the walls of the soft palate. In advanced cases, pulmonary edema may occur. It is treated promptly.
- Melanoma. It is observed more often in age dogs older than 10 years. This is a cancer that grows from pigment cells. When diagnosed at an early stage, it is successfully treated surgically. In later terms incurable.
- Cryptorchidism. Not omission of testicles in males. The disease is transmitted genetically, so puppies with this pathology are subject to mandatory castration.
Important! Regular medical examinations and veterinarian consultations can prevent many pet diseases.
Характеристика породы бостон терьер
Бостон терьер - порода среднего компактного размера, собака - компаньон, элегантный и интеллигентный джентльмен.
Bred in the USA, in the twentieth century, by crossing the English Terrier with the English Bulldog, mixed with the blood of other breeds.
In 1893 he was divided with the bull terrier breed, and recognized as a separate breed.
The Boston Terrier has been the official symbol of the state of Massachusetts since 1979.
Boston Terrier breed description
Good nature, not aggressiveness, excellent guarding qualities, a stream of boiling energy - all this makes the Boston Terrier an excellent and desirable pet in almost any home.
Even outwardly, the dog looks like it really is - active to madness, muscular and powerful.
The Boston Terrier is incredibly similar to the French Bulldog - ears in a half-standing position, strong paws and folds around the mouth.
These dogs are infinitely cheerful and intelligent, requiring constant and long walks.
Representatives of the Boston Terrier breed, belong to small-sized dogs: height can vary from 38 to 43 cm, while the weight can be from 4.5 kg to 11.5 kg.
Life expectancy up to 15 years.
- Fur seal (black - brown, black, sun or red in bright light)
- Brindle, motley (preferred if the dog is perfectly folded, without flaws)
- Black with white spots.
White markings are arranged symmetrically - a flat groove on the forehead, on the muzzle, in the form of a horseshoe, a collar or collar on the neck, on the chest, on the front legs, in the form of a stocking or golf, and socks on the rear legs.
The case is square format.
The head is square, the forehead is steep, the nose is black and wide, the jaws are square.
The length of the face should be less than its width or depth. Should not exceed a third of the length of the skull.
Ears are erect, small or cropped, high and wide set.
The eyes are large, round, dark, widely spaced. The outer corner is at the level of the cheek. When looking the dog forward, the white of the eye is not visible. Eyelids with black border, dry, tight fitting.
Paws are small, round, arched toes with short claws.
The tail is set low, graceful, straight or corkscrew wide at the base, tapering towards the end.
The coat is short, shiny, straight, fits tightly to the body.
Care and maintenance of the Boston Terrier
The Boston Terrier is a fairly active and healthy dog that does not take a lot of trouble. The breed does not require constant monitoring or supervision, as it is quite independent, so you can safely leave it at home alone.
However, a long stay in solitude adversely affects any breed, in particular, and Boston.
Many owners, if possible, have a second dog or cat.
In general, these dogs have good health, however, the breed is exposed to such diseases as cataract, atopy, congenital deafness, brachycephalic syndrome.
Caring for a Boston Terrier does not require features.
It is recommended to wipe the dog's face with a damp cloth, especially after eating and walking, since dirt and dust periodically accumulate in the folds, which can lead to the development of infection.
Regularly check the skin condition for the presence of parasites. Every 3 weeks, treat your pet with tick repellent.
Inspect the eyes of Boston, souring rinse with warm water, weak tea or chamomile tea.
The claws are cut every two weeks with a nail clipper, the sharp ends of the nail file, in order to avoid burrs.
Photo of a boston terrier puppy
It is not recommended to bathe Boston often, unless by necessity or with heavy pollution. Frequent bathing washes away the protective fatty layer from the coat.
The Boston Terrier is ill adapted to heat or severe frost. In winter, it is recommended to wear a dog in a jumpsuit or wool sweater. But in the summer it is necessary to avoid solar overheating.
Quite often, representatives of the Boston breed snore in their sleep. This is typical of breeds with a short or flat nose.
Boston has short hair, almost does not smell and molt is not noticeable, problems with wool (even during the molting period) will not.
To keep the coat in good condition, it is recommended to comb the dog with a coarse brush 1-2 times a week to remove dust, wipe the pet with cloth to make it shine.
Boston terriers have a small stomach, so it is recommended to feed an adult dog twice a day, while morning feeding should be more than the evening one.
It is not recommended to feed the pet immediately after the kick or physical exertion or walk. Like all members of small breeds, Boston Terriers need food rich in protein. Overfeeding or underfeeding the dog is harmful.
It is necessary to regulate the amount of feed, taking into account the age of the dog.
During the first 2 months of the puppy you need to feed up to 6 times a day, with the growth of the dog the number of feedings decreases.
By the age of 9 months, the puppy switches to the adult dog regimen - feeding twice a day. A dog's diet should include such foods:
- Fish - oceanic or sea, which can replace some of the meat
- Meat - should be at least 40% of the diet. Raw (or scalded with boiling water) meat should be about 70% and 30% in boiled
- Cottage cheese (non-fat) is an important product in the period of active growth.
- Greens and vegetables (should not exceed 25% of the main mass) - it is recommended to grind and add to the main food or stew in cream
- Eggs (better quail, do not cause allergies) are recommended to be given every other day, one by one in any form - boiled, cheese or in the form of an omelet
The diet of the puppy should include all the listed products, only meat is recommended to boil to prevent infection by bacteria or parasites.
Regarding eggs, it is best to add one yolk to food once a week.
In between the main feedings, Boston can be given an apple, which is good for teeth and digestion.
Do not forget about prohibited foods:
- sugar and sweet foods
- tubular bones,
- salty food, spicy, seasonings
- fatty food.
If you prefer to feed your pet with dry food, be sure to consult with a specialist in order to choose the right food and calculate the correct portion.
Do not forget that when feeding with dry food, your dog should always have access to clean water for drinking.
Observing all the rules of feeding and care, your pet will always be cheerful and active.
Boston Terrier Disease
Boston terrier dogs are played - photo
- Cryptorchidism (not descended testicles)
- Congenital deafness
- Hydrocephalus (brain dropsy)
- Pyloric stenosis
- Mast cell cancer (mastocytoma)
- Brachycephalic syndrome
- A brain tumor.
- Congenital dislocation of the elbow