A standard or large poodle is no wonder called a royal one, and the point is not even that he once lived exclusively in the residences of monarchs. This representative of the breed looks very impressive - tall, stately, with a noble head set, and a beautiful hairstyle gives his appearance a truly luxurious look. The royal poodle is good as a guard, companion and friend. He is one of the five smartest dogs in the world and has unique abilities. What is important for future owners to know about this extraordinary dog breed?
History of origin
Scientists could not figure out for certain when and where this breed of dog was born. But it is known that dogs like modern poodles existed during antiquity. According to one version, the birth took place in Germany. The theory is associated with the fact that the name of the breed in German sounds like "waterfowl."
However, most researchers are inclined to think that royal poodles appeared in France, especially since the big poodle is a national breed of the country. For a long time, curly dogs could be kept only by families of monarchs, for the rest of the people like was punished with death. But when the offspring of the royal family fell into disgrace, he could also be sentenced to death, and with a four-legged friend.
The breed standard appeared in the 17th century, so one can argue about a rich history and a huge pedigree of this breed. The popularity of curly dogs around the world led to the fact that there were several varieties that differ in size, and their ancestor was the royal poodle.
Description of breed royal poodle
The representative of the breed is a large, noble animal, friendly and positive, the pet always comes to the defense of the owner and is happy to accompany him everywhere, being a friend and companion. The dog has a harmonious and proportional physique, with a massive, but not heavy torso.
The standard permissible as a haircut, and lacing of the coat, although the latter in the current practice almost does not apply. The big poodle has height in withers 45-58 cm. Often there are higher individuals, if a poodle is not higher than 62 cm, then it can be allowed to be viscous. Permission is subject to cancellation if the progeny of a tall poodle does not meet standard requirements.
In accordance with the standard data, a purebred thoroughbred representative has the following external features:
- Harmonious head, with a moderately massive occipital protuberance and moderately prominent forehead. The transition from the frontal part to the muzzle is smoothed, the back of the nose is straight, slightly shorter than the cranial region. Cheeks, zygomatic arches are covered with “dry” muscles, they do not distort the general outlines of the muzzle.
- The lips are medium in thickness, fit well, the extreme line is completely pigmented. A pinkish stain on the 3rd premolar is not considered a defect.
- The teeth are not large and not small, medium, they are covered with snow-white enamel, set exactly, create a dense row with a correct, scissor bite.
- Nose - perfectly developed, extended, mobile, completely covered with pigment, black tone and coat color.
- Eyes - small, with an almond-shaped incision, set straight. The iris is colored brown, it can be any in intensity, but dark tones are more appreciated.
- Ears - hang on the elastic, soft cartilage to the corners of the lips, tight to the face, the ends with rounding. When the dog is on guard or focused, a few go forward.
- Torso cover well-developed muscles, the skin is tight, without forming folds, the general format of a rectangle.
- Chest decent depth, oval, down to the elbow joints.
- The neck is of medium length, with a graceful curve, passes into a moderately pronounced withers.
- Back flat, creates a straight line, lumbar girdle slightly convex, croup slightly rounded. The line of the abdomen and groin is well tucked up, emphasizing the elegant silhouette.
- Located under the body limbs - Straight, smooth, have oblique shoulder blades, shoulders and forearms, shear pasterns. The femoral part is well muscled, the knee is bent at an angle, and the tarsus with metatarsus are arranged vertically. The paws are small in size, oval in shape, the fingers are tightly compressed, connected by means of membranes.
- Tail located and carried at a height, it is allowed to stop or natural length, there should not be any bends, knots or creases.
Wool quality and possible colors
There are two types of royal poodles - shorn or laced. Breed specimens differ in the structure of the coat. In ancient times, poodles with soft fur were laced up - curls were braided into thickish cords.
But a number of requirements for colors have not changed since that time: they can only be monophonic, the standard allows for individuals with white, gray (silver), black, brown (without a red glow), or apricot wool.
All dogs, including large dogs, have curly hair, which is usually cut regularly. Moreover, the standard also regulates hairstyles, and the owner of the exhibition pet can not particularly dream. The list of allowed haircuts allow the following forms:
- Lion - the back part is cut short, the hair remains on the body and head, on the limbs - cuffs,
- English - haircut, like a "lion", only on the back legs there is wool, they are decorated with balls and constrictions,
- Modern - the coat is preserved on the whole body, the exception is the muzzle and paws.
The length of the guard hair varies; it can be long, medium or short.
Characteristics and temper
The royal poodle is very affectionate, has a natural aristocracy and a sense of humor. It is easy for the dog to adapt to the life rhythm of the owners and comfortably join the existing, well-established way of life.
The poodle gets along well with all members of the family, but for the child it becomes an excellent companion for games and hanging out. He is also able to establish contacts with other pets, including cats. Although there are exceptions here - there are individuals in whom the hunting instinct is overdeveloped.
If a person leads an active lifestyle, then the poodle will be the perfect pet. The dog will participate in all events, games, trips and runs. In addition, with a pet you can do almost any dog sports - freestyle, agility, etc.
The Poodle is the owner of a very high IQ, it absorbs various information like a sponge, it needs training, new impressions and difficult tasks. The representative of this breed loves to bark, and this can be attributed to the shortcomings. But with the proper and timely upbringing of the pet, you can wean from the causeless woof.
Raising and training the royal poodle
A dog with high intelligence is able to quickly assimilate the main program, as well as more complex tasks. But her mind can cause problems - the dog is often cunning and stubborn. It is important to gain the trust of your curly friend, to establish relations with him, which is not difficult in the case of poodles.
The dog will be happy to do anything, just to be close to the owner and move. A pet has enough encouragement - with words, actions, sweets, so that it shows high results during training. If you use the punishment, you can greatly offend the pet. He is sensitive to injustice and should not abuse his trust. If during the occupation the poodle got naughty, then it is enough to give him a severe reprimand.
Patience and a friendly attitude are what you need during training to get a well-mannered, polite, trained dog. Training of show dogs should be practiced from 4 months of age. The pet must learn to take a certain stand and calmly respond to inspections carried out by strangers.
How to care for curly pet?
Curly, curling wool - a distinctive feature, the pride of the representatives of this breed. But she needs special care. Only a suitable haircut can add royal stature to this animal with a beautiful gait and head held high. Neglected wool will negate all the natural data of the large poodle. Shear poodles once in 1-1,5 months.
Poodles belong to hypoallergenic breeds, their coat does not fade, dogs do not emit a specific smell. In addition, it is believed that their wool has a number of medicinal properties. Most often, the poodle is combed weekly so as not to disturb the hair structure. Soft, but at the same time springy hair does not allow wool to quickly get tangled. Use a better natural bristle brush for combing.
Pet's claws are trimmed as they grow back, teeth are cleaned 2-3 times a week with a special brush and paste. Ears are inspected regularly if dirt or excess sulfur is detected, they are treated with a wet cotton pad. It is not recommended to use cotton buds for this purpose in order not to damage the eardrum.
Mandatory preventive examinations, adherence to the vaccination schedule, treatment of skin and internal parasites.
Royal poodles have high immunity and good health, however, they also have pedigree, most of them hereditary diseases that occur more often than others. These include:
- hip dysplasia,
- pathology of intervertebral discs,
- degenerative myelopathy,
- twisting (twisting) guts,
In addition, pets are prone to epilepsy, insulin, diabetes, glaucoma, progressive retinal degeneration, cataracts, von Willebrand syndrome.
Any ear diseases are also dangerous for them, since their complications can lead to deafness. At age dogs often develop urolithiasis and alopecia with abundant hair loss. Also among the representatives of the breed are often found individuals with cryptorchidism.
Feeding regime and diet
All members of the breed are food lovers, and if the owner takes this issue lightly, the pet will soon gain weight. It is important to observe the regime - to feed the dog at the same time, not to arrange additional snacks for him and not to give food from his table. In addition, increasing the serving size without any significant reasons is not recommended.
With natural feeding, the owner should make a balanced menu, which is based on lean meat. But in the case of an elderly dog, its amount should not be more than 300 grams per day. A novice host can be guided by the recommendations of breeders and experienced dog breeders:
- you can give offal to your pet, beef liver is most preferable,
- fish give 2-3 times a week, lean, sea, boiled, cleaned of bones,
- porridge cooked from rice, buckwheat, seasoned with vegetable oil,
- a couple of times a week, you can give the dog an apple or carrot, their consumption will reduce the likelihood of tartar, and these products are sources of fiber and vitamins,
- vegetables and greens - they are given raw and boiled, mixed with meat or cereals.
A puppy should be regularly fed dairy products - calcinated cottage cheese, milk. Adult dogs, it is desirable to give the sour milk - yogurt, yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, but not often. When feeding with natural food, the dog needs additional vitamin and mineral supplements.
Owners can also feed their pets with ready-made industrial rations, but it is advisable to choose a high-quality product suitable for medium and large breeds, mobile and active. The transition from one type of food to another should be gradual - a new food is introduced in small portions, replacing the usual foods.
Where to buy a puppy?
A poodle is a breed widespread around the world; it is easy to buy such a pet, even a royal one. But the difficulty lies in the fact that acquiring a puppy without a pedigree is risky, since puppies of all types — mini, standard, large — are similar, and even metis are difficult to distinguish from purebred babies. Therefore, it is recommended to contact experienced breeders or a nursery to get a thoroughbred large poodle that meets the standard:
- Atami (big, miniature and toy poodles) http://www.atami.ru/Dwarf%20poodles.html,
- "Emeray" (big poodles) http://emerei.ru/index.html.
Of course, a pet with hands will be much cheaper, but no one can give guarantees about its breed and health. For 5000-7000 rubles you can buy half-breed - the result of mating a large poodle with a representative of another breed.
From 15,000 rubles are puppies from purebred parents (with or without pedigree), but more often in this case the sellers do not arrange the pedigree for the kids themselves to reduce costs. On average, a puppy with good characteristics costs 20000-25000 rubles, the price of a show-class baby from elite parents can reach 60000 rubles.
The big royal poodle is included in various tops - the most elegant, the most intelligent, hypoallergenic ... Indeed, the dog has many advantages, but it requires attention: walking, regular haircuts, communication. If the family needs a luxurious four-legged friend and is ready to care for him properly, then you should look at the curly dog.
According to the generally accepted version Poodles moved to Europe from the territory of ancient Greece. Historians do not undertake to confirm the authenticity of these data, since the dogs went through serious breeding work. To improve the hunting qualities, they took the kucheryashek with Spaniels, gunmen and other gun dogs. It is known that The biggest contribution to the development of the breed was made by breeders from France and Germany.
The struggle for owning Poodles lasted for years, but according to the rules of the FCI (International Canine Federation), only one country is assigned patronage. Germany could not stand the race and withdrew their claims. The French description of the breed, literally translated into English, was entered in the international register. PAs the standard remains unchanged, the poodle is also included. In fact, the fashion for lacing wool took place in the middle of the XX century.
Modern Poodles are considered as an ornamental and companion breed. Many owners do not even know that their pets possess well-developed hunting qualities and, with appropriate training, will be able to work on duck. However, no one doubts the mental abilities of the Poodles; dogs are trained in absolutely any sport and discipline. Known and the fact of training the Royal Poodles in sports riding (sleigh rides).
Character and training
Royal Poodle puppies learn quickly, imitating other dogs and even humans. It is worth paying special attention to the situation in the home of the breeder or kennel, how mature and obedient are adult dogs, how often they are in contact with the young. You can safely start training from the first day of living together, believe me, after 3-4 repetitions, the puppy will clearly understand what they want from him. With the right approach, you will grow a full-fledged member of society who will be ready for any exploits for you. In the video below, the Royal Poodle on courses ZKS (protective guard duty).
With greater responsibility and perseverance, it is necessary to approach the development of obedience on the street. Poor development of the draft in conjunction with fright or gambling pursuit, may end in flight. Yes, Poodles have an excellent scent and they are able to return home in their own tracks, but city streets are filled with dangers that even the most intelligent dog cannot cope with.
Note! Learning a Poodle should not be trusted with a child under 12 years old. These dogs are very intelligent and capture knowledge on the fly, but they are also cunning and capable of manipulation that a child may not reveal.
Maintenance and care
The aristocratic four-legged, which is taken to be captured in a proud pose, is in fact a very active, curious and agile dog. Naturally, the white royal Poodle, rushing through puddles, and wet ground for a walk, is not a sight for the faint-hearted owners. If you want to protect your ward from daily swimming, and the house from traces of dirt, you should think about buying a demi-season jumpsuit. By the way, the specificity of care depends little on the color of the coat. Poodle Fur Coat is unique in several ways:
- Texture - not tough and not soft, prone to tangling, especially during the flowering of herbs.
- Structure - natural curls protect the wool from excessive entanglement and that is why shorn Poodle does not require scrupulous care.
- No shedding and undercoatwhat actually explains the need for haircuts.
When taking into account the characteristics of wool, it suggests a quite logical conclusion - clothes for dogs will greatly simplify care. Besides, walking (non-decorative) overalls, equipped with reflective stripeswith which even the black royal Poodle is visible in the dark.
Независимо от того живет ли собака в квартире или доме, прогулки – это обязательный аспект ухода и содержания. Пуделя нужно выгуливать довольно часто и если не ради оправления нужды, то ради общения, социализации, новых ощущений и утоления естественного любопытства. Кроме того, четвероногому не повредят и занятия спортом, especially for adult dogs whose owners lead an active lifestyle.
In matters of hygiene, each owner has his own schedule, but Poodles should not be bathed too often. Make it a rule to wash your pet when you really need it, and not because you haven’t bathed for a long time. Ear care requires greater responsibility - daily inspection and regular cleaning with antibacterial solution. If the dog is not prone to otitis, the ears should be cleaned with a clean cotton pad dipped in baby oil or warm water. Eyes should be examined for the slightest symptoms of inflammation or clouding of the lens. Dogs with increased tearing should wipe their eyelids daily.
Adult Poodles should visit the veterinarian at least once every six months for an ophthalmologic examination. Claws should be short and curved, but when fully run, they wear off naturally. Teeth are inspected every other day for stains, chips and cracks.
Poodles are known as long-livers. Even dogs with pathologies live for 10–12 years, while a healthy four-legged one will delight its society for 15 or more years. Theoretically, the medium and large Poodle has better health than their small relatives, but this does not reduce the risk of detecting one of the pedigree diseases characteristic of Toy Poodles or the dwarf tailed.
Ailments and shortcomings, often inherited, are:
- Diabetes (sugar and non-sugar).
- Food allergies.
- Disorders of the heart.
- Retinal atrophy.
- Anemia (hemolytic).
- Increased tearing.
- Congenital deafness.
- Natural inclination to otitis due to close fitting ears.
- Sensitivity to insect bites.
- Early loss of coat and gray color, especially in apricot and brown dogs.
Characteristics of breed royal poodle
Royal poodle (standard poodle, big poodle) - decorative breed, dog - companion.
The largest among the representatives of the breed.
It takes a well-deserved place in the top ten most intelligent dogs in the world.
There are 4 growth varieties recognized by the ICF standard:
In ancient times, it was allowed to start only the royals, it is probably why the large poodle is called royal. The royal poodle is an incredibly charming dog, very popular in the world today.
His ancestors were excellent hunters, as if on retrievers, it was the duty to get game from the water.
Possessing a magnificent instinct, these dogs were often used during the "quiet hunt" for delicious mushroom truffles. And of course one cannot fail to mention how great the poodle was doing with the guard and guard service. The versatile royal poodle is used as companion and is suitable for any family.
Royal Poodle food
When growing a dog on natural food, it is recommended to make a diet based on lean meat, chicken, turkey. In the diet of the elderly royal poodle mass fraction of protein foods (meat) should not exceed 300 grams per day.
- Of offal is beef liver.
- Sea fish (haddock, cod, boneless pollock).
- Of the cereals, buckwheat and rice are preferred, which can be cooked both individually and as a mixture.
- You can regularly give dogs to chew on an apple or carrot.
- Also, vegetables and herbs can be added to cereals (carrots, cauliflower, pumpkin, zucchini and so on).
- Of dairy products, cottage cheese and kefir are most useful; milk is allowed to be included in the diet of the animal, only if there is no allergy to this product.
- Be sure to add to the pet's food vegetable oil, which is a source of vitamins and beneficial fatty acids (one teaspoon per day is enough).
The royal poodle is not recommended to be fed "from the master's table." Various semi-finished products, smoked meats, sausages, sweets can not be given.
There are no contraindications to feed the royal poodle with ready-made industrial food (dry or canned food). The main conditions are high quality food, matched by age, health and breed of your four-legged ward. When feeding dry food next to a bowl for food should always be a full bowl of clean water.
In order to avoid gastrointestinal disorders do not mix dry food with natural products and do not alternate the diet.
If there is a need to change the usual feed for the dog to the brand of another manufacturer, do it gradually. The same rule applies when transferring a dog from natural food to industrial food.
Always follow the recommendations on the rate of feeding shown on the package with food, because the royal poodle is a real gourmet who loves delicious food and often plenty to eat.
- Fat meat (pork, lamb)
- fried food
- Smoked sausage
- River fish with bones
- Grapes, raisins contain toxin, very dangerous for the kidneys.
- Nuts (prohibited any)
- Pastry baking
- Garlic, onion
- Spicy food
- Excess salt
- Carbonated drinks
- Legumes (peas, beans)
- Fatty lactic products (sour cream, cottage cheese)
- Bird tubular bones
- Macadamia nuts - poison (they contain a toxin that adversely affects the digestive tract, nervous system and muscles of the dog)
- Products containing sorrel acid (rhubarb, sorrel)
The modern poodle is the national breed of Parisians. But the birthplace of handsome curly, northern Europe. Initially, he was a hunting dog, trained to get game from the water and bring it to the owner. In German, the name of the breed means splashing.
Accurately determine the home of the poodle no one can. 4 species of breed interfere with the history of origin. The forefathers of the royal and standard poodle are the water spaniel and the truffle dog, in their appearance the features of the commander and the bullets are seen.
In the small and dwarf poodle the blood flows to maltese, bichon, toy spaniels.
Images of a poodle dog were found on the chased coins of Greece, bas-reliefs of ancient Roman burials dated 4-5 BC. e.
Description similar dogs found in the literature 12-13. Later, on the paintings of Durer and Rembrandt, the poodle appears in a modern guise with a “lion haircut”.
In the 18th century, the breed becomes incredibly popular. On the battlefield, dogs look for the wounded, serve as guides. Nobles keep them as an exotic pet.
The dog poodle received the greatest recognition from stray artists. Thanks to talent, the animal has become an indispensable attribute of representations.
All varieties of poodles have a common standard, differing only in the dimensions of the individual.
- Royal - 48-58 cm at the withers. Weight 20-23 kg,
- average - 35-45 cm. Weight 9-12 kg,
- small - height 28-35 cm. 6-8 kg,
- dwarf - up to 28, ideally 25 cm, with a weight of 4.5-5.5 kg.
Color allowed monophonic: white, black, peach, brown. Curly wool. Abundantly covering torso, spring when pressed. The texture is soft, elastic.
Corded coat, has a length of not less than 20 cm, thin, fluffy, twists into cords.
The skin is pigmented. In white individuals - silver. In color to match the color.
- Head. Elegant, proportional to the body. Clearly delineated
- nose. Convex, with open nostrils,
- muzzle. Elongated, slightly pointed. Lips dry, tight. Teeth tightly closed in the lock. Cheeks bulging, weak cheekbones,
- eyes round, widely spaced. Black, or brown color. Brown individuals have amber pupils. Gaze clever, cheerful,
- ears. Long, covered with wavy hair. Located at eye level, when stretching should reach the middle of the muzzle,
- torso slightly elongated, strong. The back is wide without deflection. The step is springy, graceful. In the movement of movement sweeping,
- tail. High set, looking up.
The dog poodle is an intellectual with a delightful character. The non-conflict, sociable dog easily becomes a pet and a darling of the whole family.
Curly dog is able to rejoice and empathize with the owner. Lack of human attention, can adversely affect the character of the pet. Cheated slippers, puddles in the wrong place, will be revenge for the master's indifference.
To strangers indifferent, timid, but not aggressive. The maximum that he can afford is to bar around a stranger. But if the owner is in trouble, the pet will throw no protection and will snap his teeth, no worse than the Rottweiler.
An active, restless dog, a poodle will always take part in childish pranks. Patiently enduring all their harassment and affection. With animals living nearby, benevolent. Attempts to establish friendly relations, is the initiator of games and joint pranks.
Dignified walking along with the owner, the dog paces proudly, with his head held high. But in a minute, the temperamental dog will jump on its hind legs, showing the wonders of acrobatics.
The poodle tries to predict desires, to please the owner. I am pleased to share all his hobbies, whether it is a campaign for mushrooms, or lying on the couch.
A savvy breed, a poodle grasps everything on the fly. But his ingenuity, he can direct on something to get the opportunity to disobey. Curly dodger will always try to benefit.
To teach a puppy to order should immediately. Cute tricks of the kid, can turn into a problem of an adult dog. Therefore, you need to stop undesirable actions of your pet. From an early age, the dog is supposed to calmly relate to the procedures performed, examination of the teeth, combing, bathing.
Having accustomed the poodle to a nickname, it is necessary to tackle the teams that ensure the safety of the dogs: “to me”, “near”. Training is conducted in the form of a game, with proper execution of the team should be commended. Violence is not the best choice of training, if the punishment is inevitable, it is worthwhile to reprimand the rogue with a stern voice.
A child can also train a poodle, if the following rules are followed:
- The owner gets the food first
- at the door the dog passes last
- the pet sleeps only on its litter,
- the master chair is inviolable
- begging is unacceptable.
For some, actions seem insignificant, but for a dog these are signs that determine its position in the pack.
How to choose a puppy?
First you need to decide on the size. It is not recommended to take a toy poodle into a family with small children, the child does not count strength, and the bones of a small dog are fragile.
Older people, more suitable medium or small poodle. It is worth considering that they require 3-4 single-day walking. Large varieties enough 2 times, but the nutritional need is higher, care requires more strength.
Visiting the nursery, you should observe how the poodle puppies behave. Prefer preferable to a more active baby, especially important when choosing a dwarf option. The tiniest individuals may be sick. If the litter is multiple, the puppies are small, but about the same size.
- The eyes are clean, without tear marks,
- paws are strong, straight,
- a stomach without rashes,
- the hair around the anus is clean and dry.
On the sex of the baby need to think in advance. Bitch tender, affectionate, calmer. Male more emotional, walks with him last longer, it is typical for him to mark the territory. In bitches, periodically occurs in heat, during this period it is temperamental, prone to escape.
Show puppy is acquired after 4 months. Previously, determine the prospects of a puppy is impossible.
It is recommended to assess the exterior of parents, their mental state. Puppies will catch up unwanted behavior of the mother. You should not focus on the thinned hair, or folds on the belly of a nursing bitch. After carrying and giving birth any dog, a poodle is no exception, loses its shape.
Usually kennels make reminders for the care of a baby, however, it is useful to find out how to feed a pet, what to add to the diet as it grows up.
The popular breed, a poodle from a popular kennel can cost from 20,000 to 45,000. The price depends on the titularity of the parents, the quality of the puppy. The size of the dog does not affect the cost.
Content, feeding, care
No matter what size the dog, the poodle is intended only for housing. It is important to arrange a pet cozy "nest", away from drafts, radiators.
To care for your pet you will need:
- Poukhoderka Brush,
- electric trimmer designed for grooming dogs
- claw guillotine, nail file,
- hair dryer
- special shampoo, conditioner, baby powder.
Curly wool bulk, poodle calling card requires care and some material costs.
- Dog sheds once, when changing puppy hair. During this period, daily brushing is necessary. Further, the procedure is recommended at least 3 times a week. The powder will help break the tangles, prevent further entanglement.
You should cut your pet every 2 months, the best option is to contact a professional groom.
- Wash using shampoo no more than 4 times a year, bathing in clean water - weekly,
- cleansing the ears of sulfur and dust - twice a month,
- to file the claws as they grow,
- wipe your eyes every morning with boiled water.
The owner chooses a diet of a poodle independently. Dry food of the highest quality or natural food.
- Red boiled meat, chicken, sea fish,
- vegetables, except peas and potatoes,
- buckwheat, rice, oatmeal,
- cottage cheese, kefir.
Health and Disease
Like any breed, the poodle has a tendency to some diseases:
- Overgrowth of nasal passage. The dog sniffs, snores, has difficulty breathing. The problem is solved by surgical methods
- heart diseases. More often acquired. For the purposes of prophylaxis, it is worthwhile to heavily load a pet
- epilepsy. Transmitted genetically. It is difficult to treat
- double eyelashes. They are expressed by eye secretions, inflammations. Removed excess hairs by surgery.
- tartar Manifested by the smell of the mouth, brownish bloom on the surface of the enamel. Regular cleaning of the mouth will save the pet from the problem,
- like all lop-eared dogs, poodles are prone to otites,
- pancreatic diseases, provoke diabetes. Manifested by increased thirst, weakness, possible fainting.
Fortunately, most dogs are born healthy. Diligent breeders are not allowed to breed individuals with pathologies.
From the history of the breed
Animals that look like a poodle have been known since ancient times. The breed was named as early as the 15th and 16th centuries, in France. Great poodles accompanied hunters, healers, travelers and sailors. Smaller poodles were constant companions of wandering magicians and musicians, performed in circuses and were considered the best search animals for searching for truffles.
Poodles were originally used for hunting., but already Hench IV (French king) began to use them to protect his person. In this role, the giant poodle Faby became famous. Following the king, his entourage brought their own kind of "bodigads." The later name of the variety, the Royal Poodle, appeared precisely as a result of the hobby of the breed of persons of royal blood.
Some, quite a long time to start a poodle were entitled only to French aristocrats. Violation of this law was punishable by death.
After some time, Europe stepped on the path of democracy, and simple hunters were again able to get their faithful helpers. Mostly, they were used when hunting waterfowl. Rings of wool, tight to the body and to each other, saved the dogs from hypothermia in the water or minor injuries. Long hair got wet, making it difficult for animals to move. This forced some hunters to start grooming their dogs. Oddly enough, but modern hairstyles poodles are not obliged to stylists, and rude hunters.
In our country, dogs of the breed poodle appeared in the 19th century.
In Russia, poodles appeared already in the 19th century, after the conquest of Europe. At the very first Moscow exhibition in 1874, several representatives of this breed were represented.
Interesting! Poodles in our country participated in the Great Patriotic War, taking the wounded out of the battlefield, searching for mines, interacting with intelligence officers and signalmen.
Poodle appearance, standard, colors and photos
This breed is very elegant, with long limbs and a fit body. Top almost straight, rounded croup. The legs are straight, the corners are clearly defined, strong. Muscles without tuberosity, dryish and steel. The muzzle and head elongated, narrowish, clear sculpture. Eyes slanting, with well fitting eyelids. Ears hang, expanding to the bottom. Ideally, the ears should reach the corner of the lips.
A painted poodle can be six options: black, blue, red, white, chocolate, apricot. The structure of the wool may be different. The most common curly dogs: elastic, thin hairs twist, forming a perfect curls. The most exotic version of the wool - corded: the dog is decorated with peculiar dreadlocks - cords of loose wool.
Regardless of the size of the dog, they should look exactly the same:
- Head. Straight, the lines are noble, proportional. Length slightly exceeds 2/5 of height at withers. Too light or too massive a head is not acceptable.
- Nose. Large, developed. The profile is vertical, the nostrils are open. Черные, серебристые, и белые пудели должны иметь черную мочку, коричневые – коричневую, красные и абрикосовые могут «щеголять» мочкой от темно-коричневого до черного цветов. Для абрикосовых собак характерна депигментация, которая требует наблюдения.
- Морда прямая, ее длина составляет 9/10 длины головы. Not pointed, elegant. The lower contour is determined by the contour of the lower jaw.
- Lips clear, dry, developed. Upper closes lower, does not hang down.
- Ears long, hanging down, adjacent to the cheeks. Landing average. The form is flat, expanding and rounded. The hair on the ears is very long.
- Limbs long, muscular, graceful. Pasterns strong, almost sheer. Paws are relatively small, oval. Fingers bent, strong, connected by a swimming partition. Pink claws - the lack of all colors.
- Torso in proportion. Body length is greater than height. Chest moderate, high. Boca rounded, but not convex. The back is straight, short. The height at the withers is approximately equal to the height at the sacrum. Belly and groin taut, but not sunken. Tail high, docked. Sometimes left to half the length. An uncropped tail — not a flaw — remains with stringed poodles.
How tall is the poodle?
The centuries-long selection has led to the emergence of poodles of four sizes:
- The big (royal) poodle. Growth in withers 46-58 cm. This type of breed appeared earlier than others.
- Small. Height 35-46 cm. Some clubs do not distinguish dogs of this size into a separate species, but the ICF allocates them.
- Dwarf. Height 28-35 cm. Variety for ladies of high and middle class.
- That Height up to 28 cm at the withers. Bred in the 18th century in England.
When choosing the type of poodle it is necessary to proceed from the purpose for which the dog is purchased. If you need a guard or a hunter, you should opt for the big poodle. Small more often used for hunting and for decorative purposes. Caring for them is easier, less space is required.
Toy poodle and dwarf - the most comfortable dogs for the home. Excellent run, hardy, viable, but compact, do not take up much space, friendly.
Who should start a poodle
Poodles - a dog for any family and age groups. At the same time, animals of this breed are very active, they need not just long, but intensive walks. If the dog is not tired, its character will deteriorate, it can nibble at home, bark without a reason, or disobey.
Important! The family should be a person who is ready to walk a lot with the poodle: playing, training, running - all this should be present in daily walks. You need to walk for at least an hour in the morning and evening.
Dogs of this breed live longer than usual for dogs - 16-19 years. When acquiring a puppy, you need to understand that it will take a long time to take care of her, bring up and be responsible for her. Any dogs are tied to the owner, for a poodle, this attachment is almost painful. If you want to have a poodle, you should think it over seriously several times.
The nature of the dog poodle breed
The nature of each animal is individual. There are those who demonstrate pride and dignity (most often it is the royal poodle), there are also joyful, sociable dogs. At the same time, the overwhelming majority of owners say that pets have intuition and, as it were, foresee the desires of the owner and even the command that he is about to give the next minute.
Poodles are very intelligent and mobile dogs, they play and learn new tricks with great pleasure.
The Poodle is a sanguine, so he learns quickly, has a good memory and incredible tricks for the tricks that they perform with special pleasure.
Important! The main thing that education is based on is the lack of pressure on animals and diversity. Make an exciting workout and speed up the development of teams will help the element of the game in the technique.
A poodle is a positive and sociable dog, it is important for her not only to be close by, but also to communicate, exchange emotions and imitate the owner.
A dog of this breed loves children, always takes part in their games. Able to get along with other animals. Aggression is not about the poodle.
With all this, these dogs are not only companions. If necessary, they are able to defend the family, showing themselves as a real bodyguard.. Dogs of this breed are easy to keep in the apartment, if given the opportunity to splash out energy.
How is poodle training
Poodles simply need training, it brings them joy and pleasure. When choosing a training method, it is necessary to ensure that each correctly performed trick is evaluated. The joy of the owner and praise - this is why the poodle is ready to work around the clock. Encouragement and goodwill - this is the most effective way to raise a poodle.
If you need a mentally healthy dog, it must be educated. The intelligence of the poodle requires a foundation on which the whole further life of the animal will be built. If a dog knows a lot of commands, its mood rises, since such an education allows it to show individuality as much as possible.
Poodles adore skiing or cycling, hiking. The uniqueness of wool gives them the opportunity not to be afraid of winds, snow and cold. Especially important for this dog is walking in the water. Genetically, these animals are tied to water, so if there is a reservoir nearby, the dog will necessarily “plop” into it.
Rules of maintenance and care
The poodle is suitable for keeping in the house and apartment. At the same time, life in a street aviary is not very suitable for them, despite the thick wool. The ability to move a lot, to be on the street for a long time, to play all day long is great, but it is not so much more important for the poodle to be near the owner - on a hunt or on a sofa.
Grooming show and pet dogs
If the animal exhibition - care for him will be difficult and extremely expensive. In addition to daily brushing, many quality wool products and regular high-quality grooming are required.
Wool show animals need regular and costly care.
If we are talking about an ordinary pet, care will be much easier. Shedding poodles are very modest, you will not find tufts of wool in the apartment. To avoid tangles, it is important to carefully comb the curls. This should be done 3-4 times a week. You need to cut at the age of 6 weeks - first paws and face, gradually accustoming you to a more extensive haircut.
If you are a fan of overgrown dogs, you can visit the groomer less often, but combing is extremely important. If the haircut is done less than once every 30 days, it is necessary to wash the dog with special shampoos that soften the coat.
How to care for ears, eyes and claws
Special attention should be paid to the ears of the dog. Thick wool does not allow you to quickly wipe your ears with a tampon. Most owners prefer to trim the hair on the inside of the ear canals with a machine, after which they can be cleaned.
The eyes of a poodle often suffer from secretions and various infections. For prevention, you must wipe your eyes with lotion, bought at a veterinary pharmacy, or highly diluted boric acid.
If walks on hard surfaces (asphalt, gravel, etc.) are regular, you will not need to care for your claws. If the claws are not erased naturally, they need to be cut every 10 days.
Many owners cut the hair from the inside of the poodle’s ear with an electric machine, which makes it easier to care for.
Where to locate the dog's resting place
Arranging a place in an apartment, it is important to remember about the dog's emotional attachment to the owner. He needs to see the owners as often as possible, without feeling odd and unnecessary. The corridor for the poodle is absolutely not suitable. The place itself should be moderately tough, spacious. Synthetics are prohibited because they harm the respiratory tract, skin and coat.
Feeding: the correct diet of the poodle
Experts say that the best type of food for the poodle is natural food. Two thirds of all daily food is meat. For dogs fit beef, finely chopped lamb. You can give offal and sea fish. Useful cheese, cottage cheese, kefir. Dairy products and meat should not be given in one feeding.
Millet, rice, wholemeal bread, buckwheat should be added to the diet. No more than 200 g of vegetables can be given per day. Fresh tomatoes make it possible to remove tartar.
Health and breed specific diseases
As already mentioned, dogs of this breed, on average, live longer than representatives of other breeds. Most often, these animals are susceptible to inherited diseases.
For the royal poodle are characteristic:
Most often, poodles suffer from the following diseases: cataract, hypothyroidism, heart disease, deafness, diabetes mellitus.
- bloating or torsion of the stomach,
- hip dysplasia,
- intervertebral disc disease
- degenerative myelopathy,
- von Willebrand disease
Small and toy poodles are subject to:
- heart diseases,
- early gray hair
- autoimmune hemolytic anemia,
Poodles of all breeds are typical. progressive retinal degeneration, epilepsy and diabetes.
Advantages and disadvantages of poodles
Advantages of poodles in their high intelligence, sociability, aiming at the owner and loyalty to small children. Dogs are so intelligent and obedient that you can entrust the education of the poodle even to a seven-year-old child or an elderly person. Since poodles do not shed, they can be brought into a family where there are allergies.
The disadvantage is the high physical activity of the dog, which requires daily active walking. In addition, competent care for wool is quite expensive and time consuming.