Buckfast is the favorite breed of beekeepers of the whole world, bred on the islands of Britain by a modest monk - brother Adam (in the world - Karl Kehrle). Having devoted all his life to breeding science, an Englishman from the age of 17 tried to create a breed that would incorporate all the best characteristics.
History of breed backfast
In 1927, Adam managed to bring out a species resistant to the tracheal tick, which was named buckfast - in honor of the city where this remarkable event took place. New bees were the result of crossing local breeds with Italian ones. The further goal of the breeding work, Adam, put an increase in the profitability of the beekeeping industry, produced by improving and multiplying the beneficial properties of winged insects. The Englishman believed that bees with the necessary qualities should be searched for in other countries, and the useful signs should be fixed by crossing with the Bakfast line.
Valuable breed traits
In search of suitable genetic material, the breeder traveled all over Europe, the countries of the Middle East, and also North Africa. In 1960, as a result of crossbreeding with Greek breeds, bees had gotten such valuable attributes as peace-lovingness and a low rate of robility. In the 70s, the breed was again improved by crossing with the Anatolian bee from Turkey, as well as Egyptian and Macedonian species. The result of almost seventy years of work was the creation of an artificial breed, one of the best at present.
The breed backfast after breeding quickly spread to different countries. Today it is quite difficult to meet her thoroughbred representatives, for the most part these are different mixes. The original breed exists in Germany at specialized stations whose purpose is to preserve this species of bee.
Externally, the buckfast bees are very similar to the Italian counterparts: the coloring of the body of the correct form is close to the brown-yellow color, the light brown wings are black, the hairiness is average. Recognizable by slow, unhurried movements of the wings, very friendly, calmly behave in relation to fellow tribesmen, willingly coexist with a person. When inspecting the hive go down, not excited, so many beekeepers work with them without a grid and smoke. Being from the British Isles, they prefer wet and rainy weather, although they easily get used to different conditions.
The advantages of the breed Bakfast
Brother Adam, engaged in the breeding of this breed, formulated such requirements to the breed as high medoproduktivnost, effective reproduction of offspring, non-lethality and resistance to disease.
The advantages of modern Bakfast include:
- Excellent productivity. Backfast bees are characterized by the highest rates of honey harvest compared to other breeds.
- A small amount of propolis in the nests. Italian "colleagues" litter the hives much more.
- High endurance: the bees work well on large areas occupied by honey plants.
- Good resistance to pests and diseases. Ascoferosis does not infect bees due to the protection of the brood from hypothermia. Insects do not get sick with acarapidosis, as they have tracheas that are too small and do not cause interest in ticks.
- Nezlobnoe behavior, peace-loving: bees buckfast, karnik - quietly give to check the hive at any time of day
- Compact, located at the bottom of the family nest. Storage of perga and honey occurs in the upper buildings.
- Increased cleanliness. Buckfast bees always keep their dwelling clean, and they work so hard that they leave the beekeeper out of work.
- High capacity for long-haul flights. In search of food reserves, insects are able to travel long distances.
- The desire to work from morning to evening and high adaptability to the environment. Adults, while always active, are able to work in adverse meteorological conditions. In foggy, damp, rainy weather, bees of Bakufast fly to fly around while their compatriots (for example, the Carpathian breed) are sitting in a hive.
- Phenomenal sense of smell and excellent vision. Buckfast bees are able to hear their favorite flower from afar. Do not wander, because they are easy to navigate in space.
- Excellent reproductive ability of the uterus, laying eggs without failure and thereby ensuring a stable increase in the number of colonies.
In addition, the bee's uterus buckfast can be actively used for crossing with other breeds,
- There is practically no swarming of families, bees are tied to their hive and can only be buried by beekeeper's oversight. The use of anti-war methods quickly brings it to working condition.
- The existence of lines for the use of autumn and early spring bribes.
- The possibility of use for industrial purposes.
The combination of the above positive qualities allows you to make high honey-gathering (about 2 or more pounds of high-quality product), so most apiaries choose backfast.
Breed of bees: their disadvantage
In addition to the positive qualities, bees of the buckfast breed have several disadvantages:
- Bad frost resistance. Wintering English breed hard enough to provide in the northern regions.
- The complexity of the production process uterus. Of the 1,500 individuals bred, only 26 can be selected for sale as breeding ones. The approximate price of the fetal uterus - 300-2000 euros, barren costs 30 euros. For practical beekeeping, it is advisable to use relatively inexpensive queens at F-1 level. In terms of their honey productivity, their families often exceed the purebred ones. Using a lower-quality uterus (older than F-1) in a couple of generations will lead to the splitting of symptoms and, as a result, the aggressiveness of families.
The content of beeches of buckfast, gathering in large, strong families, is recommended to be carried out in spacious hives: space is an important factor in ensuring their normal functioning. With a sufficient amount of feed, the uterus will fully exercise its reproductive abilities, trying to lay as many eggs as possible. An important advantage of the breed is the appearance of brood in the adjacent frame only after the uterus has laid eggs in all cells of a single cell.
The subtleties of beekeeping
For the full disclosure of opportunities for families in the honey collection is not recommended to limit its growth. Also, do not use techniques such as the selection of sealed brood and the division of families. In the summer, almost all the work comes down to pumping out honey and setting up additional buildings. The beekeeper should try to maximize the power of the bee family. When weakening a bribe, it is recommended to provide insects with food.
To fly, bees are able to fly out at a temperature of +12 o C. After hibernation, the beekeeper's eyes appear clean, without signs of Nosema and a beehive with a neat rasplod.
Reviews of bees bakfast
According to reviews of most beekeepers, the content of bees of a bacfast breed is economically profitable. Insect care, minimal swarming and the ability to contact a person significantly reduce the labor costs of maintaining apiaries. Most queens should be used for 2–3 years, while for other breeds the recommended period is 1–2 years. Despite the large number of disputes about what the buckfast really is: a hybrid or a breed, this does not matter at all for the beekeeper. The genetic information of this breed is stable, so that insects retain their basic qualities, for which they were bred. The main thing is that the bees of buckfast, the reviews about which make quite an impression, are most relevant to the beekeeping technology and are considered to be the best today.
Features of breed Bakfast
Anyone who decides to engage in beekeeping with the Bakfast breed should be familiar with all their specific features.
- Bakfast bees have strong and large families, so the beekeeper needs to ensure that family members have enough free space. The larger the hive, the larger the uterus bakfast lays eggs. Accordingly, the number of bees is constantly growing.
- Family growth can not be restrained, because it will directly affect the honey collection. No need to divide bee families and select printed brood. On the contrary, the swarm must be continuously strengthened, feeding the bees when the bribe deteriorates.
- Summer bee-work with bees is extremely simplified: it is enough to expand the useful space of the hive in time and pump out the sweet product of labor. Inspection of the houses does not require special equipment (smoke, protective gloves and mesh), since, if necessary, bees buckfast peacefully go to the lower building, allowing the beekeeper to perform any manipulations.
- Bees make rational use of cellular space, filling in supers and shops. The uterus is always located on the lower shells and closely places the brood nest around itself, from bar to bar.
- The carefulness of the bees of this breed does not allow to randomly store food in the same place as the larvae of the brood. In addition, unlike most bee breeds, Bakfast does not collect an excess amount of propolis in its nest.
- If you do not use purebred breeding of bees only Bakfast, then after one generation, they will change. A major role is played by drones - the source of sperm for fertilization of the uterus.
- Buckfast is resistant to such infectious bee diseases as acarapidosis, nomatosis and ascospheresis. However, the breed is not protected from varroa mite, which forces the beekeeper to regularly prevent this disease.
- Low temperatures are a big problem for bee buckfast. To effectively breed them in a cold climate, it is necessary to warm the hives thoroughly. Best of all, bees feel in the wet conditions characteristic of Foggy Albion, the birthplace of the breed.
Advantages and disadvantages
Buckfast has many advantages:
- a high degree of disease resistance (nomatosis, acarapidosis, etc.),
- energy and stability of bees for long-haul flights,
- accuracy and craving for cleanliness in the hive (the breed is not inclined to overfill the hive with propolis),
- lack of thrust,
- uterus backfast extremely prolific throughout life,
- high performance at the medical collection,
- ease of care and the ability to inspect the hive at any time of the day.
In addition, the early autumn cold is not terrible for the buckfast breed: even in freezing, when most of the bee breeds do not dare to leave the hive, they calmly fly to the honey collection, collect pollen and nectar in any weather: rain, fog and wind do not care for them.
The most significant of the few drawbacks is poor frost resistance, which makes it impossible to breed beecks in cold, northern regions.
Such workers as bees buckfast, like many beekeepers
In addition, uterus backfast is extremely difficult to display. By the way, out of one and a half thousand bred individuals, it will be possible to sell as many as 30 copies as breeding ones. That is why the uterus breed backfast so expensive: 30-35 euros for barren individuals and more than 400-600 euros for fetal. It is problematic to buy a real breeding queen bee bakfast, because most of the breeding farms in which it is grown are located in Germany.
If you use ineffective queens, the result is not worth waiting. In this case, after a couple of generations, pedigree tribal signs will disappear, families will become aggressive and unproductive.
Buckfast bees - a new productive breed, appeared thanks to the English monk Adam. Where was the monastery with its apiary is easy to guess, in the abbey of Bakfast. The monk zealously took up the breeding of a bee species that is resistant to the main bee enemy - the tracheal tick. At the beginning of the 20th century, these parasites exterminated many bee colonies in England. Some of the local varieties turned out to be the strongest observer monk. Adam began to investigate the phenomenon of survival and "reduced" various species, collecting various species from around the world.
The painstaking work of crossing local bees with “Italians” brought success. In 1927 a new “strong” breed appeared - bees buckfast. Interestingly, the monk scientist continued to improve the breed.
Attention! Monk Adam devoted 70 years to beekeeping for breeding, trying to bring out the perfect bee.
He received samples for his experiments from Europe, from Eastern countries and African states. His works were not in vain. As a result of 4-step crossing, a bee appeared, which is still popular among beekeepers. What species helped to achieve this result? Monk successively crossed the following breeds:
- Local individual with Italian "genes" plus a Greek representative.
- “Greek woman” breeder brought with the Turkish bee.
- The resulting breed is crossed with the Egyptian.
- Next with the Macedonian.
A person ignorant in bee affairs is unlikely to distinguish a native of Buckfast from Italian relatives. Color - yellow-brownish, wings - pale brown. The bee is not very shaggy, with shiny black legs. Bee sizes:
- the mass of the working bee is about 120 g, the uterus is 190-210 mg,
- long proboscis - 6.8 mm, allows the bee to penetrate even into the deep stamens of flowers.
Bakfast bee is surprisingly friendly, both to tribesmen and to beekeepers. When people open hives to collect honey or inspect, they “delicately” go to the bottom of the hive. Do not show aggression, do not try to gather in a warlike swarm. Hardworking insects work most comfortably in wet weather, even with rain. Probably, the effect of genetic British origin.
The British bee is very hardworking and patient. It works easily all daylight hours, sometimes overcoming long distances. The bee of this species is easily oriented to unfamiliar terrain, easily finding their way home.
The list of advantages of the bee is quite impressive. They are very productive, producing a record amount of honey compared to other bee species. Insects are clean, leaving quite a bit of propolis in the nests. They carefully clean their homes, freeing people from this work.
Very resistant to diseases such as ascoferosis and acarapidosis. Also positive characteristics include:
- friendliness, gentleness,
- excellent sense of smell
- acute vision - bees are able to "see" the desired color in the far distance,
- good reproduction, which allows you to quickly increase the number of bee swarm.
- high productivity, delicious honey,
- the opportunity to "work" on an industrial scale.
Indeed, the British bee has almost all the qualities desired by the beekeeper. Does she have no flaws? Unfortunately, there is. Insects do not tolerate the winter, having a weak resistance to frost. Therefore, they are not recommended for breeding in the northern regions. Another disadvantage is the difficulty in breeding queens. The percentage - suitable for sale, as breeding, only 17% of the total number of broods. In this regard, the high price of the fetal uterus - up to 2,000 euros.
A small list of drawbacks practically does not diminish the merits of bees bakfast. This species is desirable for many beekeepers around the world. High productivity and survival help to make beekeeping profitable and non-troublesome.
Bakfast bee breeding
The British monk worked on the breed. He crossed the Italian with the dark, so it turned out Bakfast breed of bees. His goal was to breed insects that could resist the tracheal parasite. Then this parasite destroyed large families of English breeds of insects. Adam got acquainted with different types of bees from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, studied the basics of breeding.
From travels he brought various queens, and from them he received a new species of bees, named after the city Bakfast, in which the breed was bred. This was a pretty hard job, it took more than 10 years. During this time, the bee has evolved, it is an economical, viable species, the tracheal mite does not act on it.
Working with such insects was easy. In the spring, Adam got rid of empty, unobtrusive frames, replaced them with special dividers, so the insect family could shrink. Families that were productive changed the Bakfast uterus to a new one.
It is proved that the breed of bees could easily adapt to different conditions, but most of all they preferred a humid climate, this is due to the fact that they were bred on a British island, for which there was a characteristic climate.
Characteristics of buckfast bees
Больше всего любят дождливую погоду, но могут адаптироваться к разным условиям. Порода пользуется популярностью во всем мире. But the Bakfast breed of bees does not tolerate cold, so it cannot exist in the northern parts of the world. Breed easily confronts various diseases, bees are not afraid of ascospherosis.
We can distinguish the following features of Bakfast bees:
- They have high resistance to various diseases.
- They have a keen sense of smell.
- Non-resistant to frost conditions.
- Peace lovers.
- Indifferent to swarming.
- Productive, produce a large amount of honey.
- Not aggressive, very rarely can attack.
- The hive can be safely checked at any time of the day.
- They are characterized by high flying ability.
- Perfectly clean the hive nest from a different litter.
When breeding the buckfast breed, they prefer natural selection, that is, only the best insects are selected, with good genetics. They can be used not only for an apiary at home, but also for commercial purposes.
Features swarming bakfast bees
The process of swarming is average. The old queen can perfectly lay eggs for a long time. Due to the calm nature of this species, it is easy for beekeepers to work Compared with other breeds that are common in Western Europe, insects produce a lot of honey. They do not attack a person without a reason; they belong to a peace-loving mind, it is best to check hives in bad weather.
Buckfast bee spread
After breeding, it began to flow into different countries. Now the purebred Bakfast bee is rarely found, a lot of different hybrids and species. In Germany, there is the original breed, for this purpose, specialized stations are created, the purpose of which is this species.
The buckfast bee is not afraid of long-haul flights, therefore it is looking for nectar in different places, it always has a clean hive. Therefore, they are often used for industrial purposes.
Experience of beekeepers with bakfast bee breed
Professional beekeepers who are engaged in breeding about Bakfast breed, respond as follows:
- Differs in the active summer, bring a large amount of pollen.
- They work from early morning until late evening.
- Buckfast bees are not afraid of fog, wind, rain.
- In the autumn, if the Carpathian breed is already sitting in the hive, then the buckfast until the end collects nectar and pollen, even at a temperature of +10 degrees.
- Buckfast breed nests have a little bit of propolis, Italian bees litter them much more.
- When inspecting insects do not need special facilities - a smoker, a grid.
- During the inspection, insects release the top bar of the frame, you can follow the uterus, which is constantly engaged in egg-laying, and each bee performs its task.
- If we compare the Carpathian and Bakfast, we can distinguish such a feature. Carpathian densely place their brood, honey and pollen is not observed. Buckfast insects put broods in them, even the lower rows constantly have broods, and beef and honey are placed on the honeycombs near the nests.
- The hive after the bees is clean, especially the bottom.
- The beekeepers observed that in winter, the Italian bees began to actively fly out of the nest in January, but the buckfast remained in the nest, waiting for the moment when it was warm. In March, in sunny weather and 12-degree heat, insects made their active flight.
Queen bee bakfast
To the surprise of the beekeepers, such a feature was noticed, after the flight of the Italian bees, a large number of impudent lateral framed slats were observed, as well as a notch, the incomplete frame with closed brood was spoiled. Therefore, we had to cut the nest and leave only 4 frames, then warm them, attach the ceiling feeders for syrup, medicines for various diseases.
With Bakfast bees everything is much simpler, brood was placed behind the wall, on the framework one-day eggs were visible, all the nests were clean, there was enough food for them, feeding troughs were not required. The nest only needed to be cut into one frame and warmed. Beekeepers have concluded that buckfast bees:
- Do not have early brood.
- When bees are hibernating, they have no problems with the intestines, they do not strain it, they do not suffer from frustration.
- Do not get sick with Nosema.
- The brood spreads to the neighboring frames only in cases when the previous one is completely filled, unlike the Carpathian bees, in which it is located from the bars, at the Bakfast from the corners of the honeycombs.
- Buckfast breed is characterized by solid honeycomb brood. The uterus in this breed does not go to the neighboring honeycombs until the eggs of one honeycomb are laid in all the cells.
- Ascoferosis does not infect bees, because the brood is protected from hypothermia.
- The disease is not characteristic of acarapidosis, because they have small tracheas, the tick does not pay attention to them.
It is easy to breed such bees, when the family is prone to swarming, you need to take the uterus and the three frames of brood. All two buildings with 8 frames each, using one building with 12 frames, all the bees that fly will fly there. In the middle of the nest place the frame with the larvae. So there will be a new full family. Fetal Bakfast uterus is normally perceived by other breeds - Italian, Carpathian.
Positive sides of bakfast bees
- Resistant to such dangerous diseases as ascospheresis, nozematoz, akarapidoz.
- Easy to work with them.
- Practically do not dig, therefore it is possible to expand apiaries, there will be no significant losses.
- It is quite enough one uterus, but it is necessary to expand nests.
- When pumping honey, it is not necessary to move the frame from the nests where the brood is, the product is in the side, and if the hive multi body honey is placed at the top of the nest.
- Collects a large amount of honey.
Thus, the Bakfast breed is one of the best, it has a number of advantages, therefore it is preferred by beekeepers to breed it.
History of creation
At the beginning of the twentieth century, British beekeepers, including workers at the monastic beekeeping of Abbey Bakfast, suffered serious losses caused by an epizootic of acarapidosis. The causative agent of the disease is the parasitic organism Acarapis woodi, a tracheal tick, which has destroyed almost 90% of bee colonies.
At that time, in addition to using local populations, the British showed an interest in importing Italian breed, the main suppliers of which were France and Northern Italy. Despite the idealistic worldview of the church minister, Brother Adam adhered to strictly scientific views in his beekeeping activities.
Karl Kerhle - breeder of rare breed of bees
The mass death of insects made him pay attention that the infection had exterminated mostly dark local insects. In hybrids obtained by crossing the Italian bee-maids Apis mellifera liqustica and the drones of the species of public dark bees Apis mellifera, the death rate was much less.
Subsequent observations of the properties of bee colonies and knowledge of the laws of Mendel made it possible for the breeder to identify the dominant and recessive traits, taking into account the various combination combinations with interbreeding. The result of lengthy research and hard selection of the most promising bee-maids was the breeding of bees backfast.
Features and principles of selection Kerhle
Karl Kerhle, who travels extensively throughout the African continent, the Middle East and the countries of Europe, managed to collect unique genetic material - bee-maids of aboriginal populations, which were then involved in breeding work. Its essence was in the use of elementary methods of breeding toilers of this variety: removing empty or open marginal frames and installing special separators, which forced the families of the wards to shrink.
It is common for productive bee colonies to produce a total change of queens in early spring, thus replacing the uterus backfast with new ones.
Queen bee bakfast
Creating a breed and gradually selecting the best samples, he sought to identify, study and improve performance, acting in three directions at once.
- The combination of economically useful qualities - egg production, quality and density of the brood, the volume of feed consumed in the cultivation of offspring, productivity, robility, immunity.
- The set of characteristics that help to more effectively solve the tasks posed - viability, ability to look for bribes, self-defense ability, feedstuff consumption during wintering, early spring start, laying of nectar.
- Properties that do not affect medoproduktivnosti, but contributing to the achievement of goals, due to the reduction of labor costs and temporary resources: the use of propolis, hygiene of the hive, peace-loving, method of honey seal.
The place where the work was carried out was lonely: the breeder chose the Dartmoor elevation for a reason, believing that the harsh conditions of this area would contribute to obtaining a hardy breed. Time has confirmed the correctness of his approach, backstuff really tolerates different environmental conditions, without any problems with adaptation.
Since the formation of the species occurred under the influence of the humid climate of the British Isles, the Buckfast bee feels best in similar weather. Soon, Kerhle began to practice artificial insemination, so the entire selection process was carefully controlled, eliminating intra-breeding, contrary to nature.
VIDEO: General characteristics of the uterus Bakfast
Specific features and appearance
Buckfast bees are a breed group that combines many breeding lines and cross-hybrid species. The principal difference between them is the intensity of early-spring reproduction: there are bee colonies with an early start of development, middle and late yield of the brood.
For information! The original samples could not be saved. Specimens whose qualities are as close as possible to the original, can be found exclusively in the center engaged in purebred breeding Buckfast. It is located in Germany. Therefore, the other species and their varieties found in the world will be a mixture.
Exterior signs are very similar to the Italian breed. The main difference was the dark color: instead of the golden-yellow hue, typical of the Italians, you can see a bright combination of yellow-brown. Moisture abdomen moderate. The dimensions and length are almost identical. The queen is able to mate with other breed groups.
The appearance of the insect
There is no single standard regarding these characteristics, by and large, each breeder breeds his “branded” buckfast. The main requirements relate precisely to economic indicators that contribute to improving the profitability of the apiary.
The working individual weighs 0.11-0.12 g, the barren bee-doe is 0.19 g, and during the laying period it is 0.21 g. The daily egg production reaches 2000 eggs. The proboscis has a length of 0.65-0.68 cm.
Bakfast bees are universally suitable for commercial breeding and small household beekeeping, due to a valuable set of biological and economic traits.
- The high fecundity of queens, and this property is preserved for them all their lives, contributes to the rapid growth of bee colonies.
- Resistance to the whole "bouquet" of common bee diseases: acarapidosis, nozematoz, ascoferosis.
- High vitality, intensive build-up of family strength.
- Excellent performance - effectively use any available sources of bribe.
- Endurance, able to collect nectar from large areas of honey,
- Demonstrate excellent flight activity in rain, fog, and wind.
- There are lines that are specifically involved in the early spring of the honey collection and autumn bribe.
- In the autumn season, when the same carpathians stop collecting nectar, the backstats calmly go to work, the temperature + 10 ° -12 ° C stops them a little.
- Floromigration - timely switch from the worst honey plants to the best.
- Low efficiency, which eliminates the need to constantly use multi-stage and labor-intensive anti-war techniques.
- A keen sense of smell that allows you to quickly find new sources of pollen and nectar collection.
- High-quality and fast detuning of the plate.
- Hives propolis weak.
- High level of hygiene in the nests, perfectly clean base.
- Peace-loving disposition, gentleness, to attack and show aggression is not typical.
Such a combination of positive qualities ensures maximum medoproduktivnost. For this reason, representatives of this breed group are often involved for industrial apiaries.
Features of use
Bakery bee-breed bees have their own nuances, so when planning to breed, you must take into account the specifics of their content.
- It is common for workers to form large bee colonies, which requires the presence of sufficient space in the nest. The growth of the number of wards is a constant phenomenon, so you will need to expand the hives in time.
- It is not advisable to restrain the growth of bee colonies, since the response will be a decrease in medoproduktivnosti. The same applies to the division of families. The correct approach is continuous enhancement of swarms, timely feeding with a weak bribe or lack of sources of honey collection.
- In the summer season, care for the apiary where bees are kept is minimal. All work comes down to expanding the usable space of hives, when such a need arises and pumping honey.
- Conducting inspection of bee colonies, due to the completely non-conflict nature of workers, you can do without a protective grid and smoke. When intervening, they slowly move to the lower buildings, continuing to go about their business, calmly perceiving any actions of the beekeeper.
- This breed group is characterized by rational use of cellular space when filling out extensions and stores. The bee is in the nesting part, compactly placing the brood around.
- Low temperature environment will become a problem for insects with low frost resistance. Efficiency of breeding in the northern regions provides a thorough warming of hives. As already mentioned, the best conditions for bakfast bees are high humidity as in their native Albion.
Backfastings easily withstand various infectious and invasive diseases, but resistance to varroa mites is too low, so regular prevention of varroa is needed.
Negative breed traits
Speaking of Buckfast, the list of advantages of this type is quite impressive, although it is wrong to designate only the positive side of their presence on the farm. So, the buckfast breed: their lack is, as has already become clear, the lack of acclimatization properties, which creates difficulties for beekeepers, since it is necessary to further organize the wintering of the wards.
Another significant disadvantage is the laboriousness of the process of reproducing the bee-maids and, in fact, the price of the issue itself. European countries, which are the main importers of bee bakfast in the Russian market, necessarily conduct preliminary tests: along with Buckfust, other breeds are being tested, for example, Krainsky.
Breed krainka is not inferior to buckfast on medoproduktivnosti and gentleness
These activities are carried out in accordance with the recommendations of the breeding program for the development of the beekeeping industry. F1 hybrid beekeepers are displayed at specialized isolated stations using the method of artificial insemination. The resulting hybrids are then transferred to the beekeepers to assess the breed qualities.
Based on the test results, a decision is made whether it is advisable to use offspring in the future. The cost of highly productive original breeding material is fabulous, so Russia will never see the best selected samples with reference signs.
The further use of pure breed implies exclusively crossing for the purpose of obtaining new combinations. Thanks to such instances, commodity daughter queens F1 are derived.
Benefits of Pedigree Apis
It is worth mentioning separately about the Pedigree Apis system, which is a registry where any breeder or breeder can prove that the breeding material used in the work is real. This list systematizes information about breeding programs that have ever been introduced into breeding, questions about the features of the breeding crossbreed of beeches of the bacfast with native populations, and other topics important for beekeepers.
Thanks to such a system, it is possible to select lines to conduct breeding work, or to display bee-maids for commercial purposes, already knowing exactly which characteristics characteristic of pure races were grafted to one or another interhybrid Buckfust type taking into account certain combination combinations.
Difficulty breeding and negative effects
And now about the problem. The second law of Mendel, talking about the law of splitting, says that the second, third, as well as all subsequent generations are necessarily subjected to uncontrolled splitting, so the most unexpected signs appear, including aggressive behavior. The only thing that can guarantee the production of decent combinations as a result of interbreeding is the use of purebred specimens with evolutionarily fixed qualities.
Залогом чистой породы является строгая селекция
Соблюдение строгой последовательности в селекционной работе – сложнейшая задача, реализовать которую могут единицы. Therefore, deciding on such a step, it is important to clearly understand that bacastas are genetic material in which multiple combination forms are hidden. If the drones of local populations participate in crossing the offspring, then the final result cannot be predicted.
The consequences of such a thoughtless experiment will primarily affect the author of the risky venture, and then all of the Russian beekeeping. Thoughtless use of the backfast group of breeds, without a full understanding of the order of reproduction, which took Adal’s brother as much as 70 years, will be a real crime against those who honestly continue the work begun by the monk more than two centuries ago.
VIDEO: All about Buckfast from a breeder from Germany