Any animal brought into the house is a full member of the family. For example, a kitten. It requires the same careful care as a small child. And just as you want the baby to be always healthy, they want good health and a beloved pet.
Nobody is immune to diarrhea. And diarrhea in a kitten (2 months) can also happen. And then what to do? It’s better to go to the vet right away. But if there is no such possibility, you can try to give first aid yourself.
The causes of this disease in a small pet have several:
- One of them are worms. They can catch them from mother's milk or her wool, and also, walking on the street, from his four-legged relatives. The most unpleasant thing in this situation is when the kitten goes to the toilet not only in the tray, but also somewhere else.
- You need to know what to feed a kitten (2 months), and how to do it correctly. After all, if you dramatically change his diet, or when he will often overeat, the process of digesting food can be broken, and because of this there will be diarrhea. Changing the usual for a small pet food, you should do it gradually, introducing a little new products. You also need to make sure that he ate small meals, so that overeating does not happen.
- In a kitten, vomiting and diarrhea may subsequently occur some kind of infectious disease, for example, chlamydia, panleukopenia, viral peritonitis and many others. A small animal can become infected with this disease at any time, even though he was given all the necessary vaccinations.
- In a small pet, pain, diarrhea, vomiting can occur if he has swallowed some poisonous or health hazardous substance. In this case, without urgently contacting the veterinarian, you can lose the kitten.
- Diarrhea along with vomiting may occur as a result of inflammatory diseases of the stomach and intestines - gastritis, colitis.
- Often, diarrhea in a kitten (2 months) arises due to very early withdrawal from the mother, as this may cause problems with immunity and digestion.
Other accompanying symptoms
When a small pet develops this disease, it becomes weak, depressed, eats little or has no appetite at all, and a stomach may swell. If diarrhea lasts a long time, the kitten begins to lose weight, which is fraught with dehydration of his body. If this happens quickly, and the condition worsens all the time, you need to show the vet, not delaying the visit for a long time.
With diarrhea, the severity of the pet's disease can be determined by the color of feces:
- If it is black or even with blood, then it is a signal that a disease such as panleukopenia or enteritis is present. Also a high probability of internal bleeding. This is an extremely serious disease, without the help of a veterinarian, the animal will surely die.
- Yellow diarrhea occurs due to dysbiosis when there are worm infestations or inflammation of the stomach.
- What does it mean if a kitten has diarrhea green? 2 months is still a very young age, but even during this period, the baby may have diarrhea. Green diarrhea and temperature are signs of the development of putrefactive microflora. The pet urgently needs to be taken to the clinic so that the necessary antibiotic is prescribed there.
If this happens, and the kitten is sick, what to do in this situation? First of all, you should observe the dynamics of the disease. When the animal gets worse, diarrhea increases, and other, equally unpleasant symptoms appear, you should definitely show it to the vet.
When a case of diarrhea occurred only once, and the pet feels satisfactory, you can try to cure it yourself.
First you need to think about how to feed a kitten (2 months) is possible and what is not, especially during such a disease.
For 12 hours he needs to give nothing from food.
You can only a little water. It should be given often to avoid dehydration. This method of treatment is called a starvation diet.
After this time, you can give a little boiled rice or three-day kefir. The next day, you can also give a little boiled chicken meat. And so gradually it is necessary to introduce new products until the pet returns to its usual diet.
Consult a doctor!
When the kitten has diarrhea, home treatment is done by any method described above. But then it is still desirable to show it to the vet. It is possible that he will additionally prescribe a therapy for worms to the little patient, or preparations to make his microflora normal more quickly.
Since diarrhea is closely associated with the loss of a huge amount of minerals and fluids, the disease of a small pet should in no case be allowed to drift.
If diarrhea is noticed in a kitten, home treatment is possible only when he has only this symptom, and basically the animal is as healthy and active as before.
How to cure a kitten from diarrhea yourself? There are a few rules here. Let's consider them:
- It is necessary to exclude from the diet of animal improper food, especially if it was introduced into the diet not so long ago. Basically the cause of the disease are both dairy and dairy products, store food, which may not be designed for such small animals. It is also food from the table, which is so fond of feeding their pets.
- When introducing a new product into a kitten's diet, it is first better to give it a little try and look at the reaction of its body. If everything is normal, then we can continue to feed them further. By doing this, first of all you will protect your pet from overfeeding with a new product, and secondly, it is much easier to find out which food is allergic.
- Having a kitten in the house, you do not need to leave food in those places where he can get it.
- When diarrhea, it is desirable to reduce the amount of food in the daily diet of a kitten, although most often the animal itself refuses to eat. You just need to leave enough water in an accessible place so that it can restore the strength of the sick animal.
- You also need to do general cleaning, pay special attention to those secluded places where the little pet likes to play. Periodically disinfect the bowl from which he eats.
- During cleaning, you need to pay attention, are not harmful whether chemicals that are constantly used for animals.
- When a kitten has diarrhea, you need to be very careful with it. Play with him - only at his request, but in any case not toss or scare. By the way, such small households may have diarrhea due to some psychological experiences (stress, fright, etc.).
In that case, when all of the above is done, and diarrhea not only continues, but an unusual color, odor, foam, mucus appear, you should immediately take the kitten to the vet to find out the exact diagnosis and correct treatment. If you delay with this visit, it can affect not only the health of the pet, but also be fatal.
If the kitten has diarrhea, what else can you treat? Many people prefer drugs from the pharmacy.
If the kitten has diarrhea (2 months), then Atoxil can be given. What is the dosage? 100 milliliters of water must be diluted bag of this drug. Give one teaspoon every couple of hours.
The drug "Regidron" during diarrhea can help from dehydration. Prepare the solution according to the instructions. Give a small patient the same way as Atoxil.
A frequent question arises when a kitten has diarrhea: how to treat it? It is also recommended in such cases to use drugs such as "Enterosgel" or "Smekta". Good effect gives "Bifidumbakterin." It is most convenient to put medicine in the mouth using a syringe without a needle. These drugs will help rid the body of toxins by triggering their rapid elimination.
But how to stop diarrhea in a kitten with other drugs? Many of them are intended for people, and when they treat an animal they should definitely consult with a specialist. To diarrhea stopped, you can use tablets of activated charcoal.
If diarrhea is caused by an infection, then you should never use antimicrobials or antibiotics. These medicines are prescribed by a doctor.
Whatever independent method of treatment is chosen, one should always consult with a veterinarian, at least by telephone. Since incorrect treatment will lead to the fact that diarrhea will become chronic, there will be frequent signs of indigestion, various inflammatory processes may occur, and much more, which is not particularly pleasant for a small pet.
Diarrhea in a kitten (2 months). Rules for the treatment of purebred pet
Most people prefer to buy expensive pedigree kittens. Everyone knows that purebred animals or hybrids are much healthier and more likely adapt to the changes around them.
But with purebreds it is much more difficult, and when diarrhea appears in such a kitten, it requires special attention. To cure him, you need to adhere to these rules:
- First of all, to provide him with complete peace, to try to isolate him from all others - this applies not only animals, but also people.
- After the first signs of diarrhea a pedigree kitten must be put on a starvation diet for approximately 10 hours, while not drinking to limit it, but give only water.
- When these hours pass, you can try to feed him a little further and keep it for about 12 hours on such a half-starved diet. This food should be light and not heavily load the stomach.
The food that should be fed to a small pet during illness and some time after it is:
- boiled natural meat, but only low-fat, chilled in minced meat,
- a bit of porridge, oatmeal or rice, but viscous, cooked with meat or in meat broth,
- cool boiled yolk of chicken egg.
In the first days after an illness it is undesirable to introduce dairy and sour-milk products, fish, and also artificial feeds into the diet of a pedigree kitten.
When such a kitten returns to its usual diet, then, acquiring food for it, you need to ensure that it is always marked "for animals with sensitive digestion."
Kitten diarrhea treatment
To transfer a kitten after a starvation diet to a normal diet is necessary gradually. The general rule that must be followed is that food should be non-fat, low-calorie and gentle. Immediately after the disease can be given:
- chicken broth,
- boiled egg
- rice porridge with beef or chicken minced meat.
The main thing is that the meat was not fat.
Important! If, after self-treatment of diarrhea in a kitten, there is no improvement in the condition, and the symptoms of the disease only increase (depression, lack of appetite, fever, etc.), then you should immediately contact a veterinary specialist for help.
On the prevention of the development of diarrhea in kittens, this also applies to adult cats, you can see here. In addition, the main focus in the prevention of diarrhea in kittens is on the proper feeding of benign feed.
After purchasing a kitten from previous owners, you need to ask about the diet and continue to feed in the same mode. If there is a desire to change the feeding scheme, then this should be done gradually: each new type of food is introduced in small portions, while it is important to pay attention to the reaction of the kitten's body.
The author of the article: Marina Chuprinina is a veterinarian specializing in parasitology and bacteriology, especially for Kota Obormot.
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription
Why can a kitten have diarrhea
The reasons for the occurrence of diarrhea in a small pet quite a lot.
Diarrhea in a kitten may be due to eating disorders.
The most common ones are:
- helminthiasis that a baby can get from a sick mother or other animals,
- change of feed, the transition from mother's milk to solid food,
- wrong nutrition, overeating,
- poisoning substandard or damaged products
- the use of drugs (antibiotics),
- food allergies or external irritants,
- viral and bacterial diseases.
In small kittens, the gastrointestinal tract is not fully developed, therefore, the introduction of any new product into the diet can provoke diarrhea. Due to low immunity, babies may suffer from gastritis or colitis, which are also accompanied by severe diarrhea. In any case, it is necessary to monitor the condition and behavior of the kitten in order to determine the cause of the disease. By the way, in a British kitten, diarrhea can cause your own wool to enter the stomach.
Often with diarrhea, the kitten refuses to eat, becomes sluggish and drowsy, quickly loses weight, suffers from intense thirst, often goes to the toilet. He has abdominal distention, liquid feces with particles of undigested food.
When should you seek help from a veterinarian?
However, not all so simple. It happens that diarrhea in a kitten is caused by much more serious reasons. In this case, it is impossible to hesitate, since this may result in the death of a little pet.
It is necessary to consult a doctor if the kitten is lethargic and has very loose stools.
The following symptoms may indicate the presence of infectious or viral diseases:
- the kitten has severe diarrhea and vomiting,
- diarrhea very thin, watery, with blood or mucus,
- high fever, constant thirst,
- at a kitten gums and a nose turn pale,
- there are cramps, fever,
- feces have a very sharp unpleasant odor.
The duration of diarrhea more than a day, is also a reason for contacting a specialist.
How to treat diarrhea, focusing on the causes and symptoms
A kitten's diarrhea can be triggered by various factors, and depending on this, both the symptoms and the methods of treatment will be different. If diarrhea is caused by helminthiasis, then it is necessary to eliminate the root cause - remove worms from the body. For this you can use special antihelminthic drugs in the form of suspensions or tablets.
In the case of a bacterial infectious disease, the use of antibiotics and probiotics is necessary. To relieve spasm and normalize the bowels, veterinarians advise using papaverine. With prolonged diarrhea, dehydration in a kitten is inevitable.
Important. Without the usual food, the baby can live a maximum of 24 hours.
Here, the doctor may prescribe a dropper, which, in addition, relieves intoxication and provides the body with essential nutrients. If a kitten has severe vomiting, then a dropper is simply vital. By the way, experts note that diarrhea is much more common in Scottish kittens.
Kitten diarrhea is accompanied by vomiting
Diarrhea and vomiting in a small kitten can cause a dramatic change from mother's milk to regular food or just a change of feed. Overeating and poisoning can provoke vomiting. To accurately establish the cause, you need to watch a little baby behavior. If diarrhea and vomiting persist after eating, but the kitten behaves as usual, you can cure the pet yourself.
With diarrhea, the kitten can be starved for a day, but it should have constant water.
First of all, the baby must starve at least a day. But we must not forget about drinking mode: the kitten should have enough water. Such a hunger strike will be beneficial, will help to flush the stomach and remove toxins from the body. In the case of deterioration, with the appearance of lethargy, loss of appetite, weakness, you should contact the veterinarian for treatment.
Unusual color of diarrhea in a kitten
The color of feces with diarrhea also matters in determining the cause of the disease:
- So, green diarrhea - this is the first sign of poisoning with poor-quality, stale products that cause fermentation in the stomach, increased gas formation. Along with this, the kitten has a fever, weakness.
- Cal reddish tinged with bright scarlet streaks and splashes indicates the presence of bleeding in the stomach or intestines. This is a dangerous condition that requires immediate surgical intervention.
- Gray diarrhea, with a sharp, sour unpleasant odor, indicates digestive problems.
- Completely white, watery feces - damage to the liver and gallbladder.
- Bright yellow color of diarrhea in kitten means that the unformed digestive tract does not cope with the digestion of food.
- Orange, orange color faeces serves as a signal that a serious malfunction has occurred in the liver.
- Black diarrhea, like red, also a sign of internal bleeding.
Diarrhea with kitten's blood
Большую опасность для жизни и здоровья малыша представляет понос с кровью. Кровь в кале возникает по нескольким причинам.
Понос с кровью у котенка может быть следствием отравления крысиным ядом.
Основными из них являются:
- заражение паразитами,
- infectious diseases,
- ingestion of poisonous substances (poison for baiting mice and rats),
- bleeding disorder,
- allergic reaction to some foods
- mechanical damage to the intestines
Trying to self-cure the kitten in this case is not worth it. Only a doctor can determine exactly why blood appeared in the feces, and prescribe the appropriate treatment. It can be either anthelmintic drugs, or antibiotics (with a bacterial infection), or agents that normalize the intestinal microflora. During this period, it is necessary to water the kitten only with boiled water and transfer it to a diet food.
Kitten has diarrhea and lack of appetite.
When weaning from the mother and transferring to adult food in a small kitten, diarrhea is a common occurrence. If such symptoms are observed in an older animal, then perhaps it is simply overfed. The danger is incessant diarrhea, persistent refusal of food, unpleasant odor and feces of unusual color mixed with blood. This may be a sign of a disease such as panleukopenia (plague). It is impossible to cure this disease, but there is an effective vaccine for it.
Diarrhea with mucus in a little kitten
The appearance of a large amount of mucus in the feces, diarrhea is considered a symptom of the presence of parasites in the body. It can be not only the usual worms (toxocars, roundworms, etc.), but also the simplest microorganisms: Giardia, trichomonads, coccidia.
If a kitten was recently given a drug for worms, he may have diarrhea with mucus.
If the kitten has recently been dewormed, the presence of mucus indicates that the remains of the parasites are coming out of the intestine. Such diarrhea does not require treatment and goes away on its own, after cleansing the body. However, the presence of vomiting, refusal of food, weakness, fever are signs of intestinal inflammation. This condition requires immediate contact with a veterinarian.
One month old kitten has diarrhea
At this age, the baby still eats mother's milk. Therefore, diarrhea is uncharacteristic for him. The reason may be in the presence of congenital infections, poor quality milk in a nursing cat or inappropriate milk formula, if the kitten is artificially fed.
It is not easy to pick up some drugs for such a crumb, because his digestive tract is completely undeveloped. With prolonged diarrhea, the kitten dies. Some experts advise to drink the baby a little sweet boiled water, but it is better to immediately carry the cat to the vet.
Diarrhea in a two month old cat
Most often this is due to the weaning of the baby from the mother and transfer it to another family. Such changes are a big stress for a kitten, which is often accompanied by indigestion.
Important. In order for the cat to quickly adapt to the new habitat, it is necessary to create comfortable conditions for it.
A kitten at the age of 2 months can have diarrhea due to the stress of moving to a new family.
Of the drugs used injections of papaverine, probiotics to improve the intestinal microflora. The first few days, it is desirable to keep the pet on a diet, and in the future very carefully enter into the diet of new products.
If diarrhea began in a kitten at the age of 3 months
For such older kittens, overeating is the main cause of diarrhea. Often curious kids, exploring the world around them, can taste everything they see on a tooth. It is fraught with poisoning, accompanied by diarrhea and vomiting. At the age of 3 months, kittens begin to vaccinate, and before that they must be dewormed. After such a procedure, an upset stomach also occurs. If diarrhea lasts longer than 2-3 days, then this is a reason to contact a veterinarian.
The appearance of diarrhea in kittens older than 4 months
Such cats are already almost adult animals, and the causes of diarrhea are standard. This includes bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract, oncology, poisoning, stressful situations, injuries and injuries of the intestines, food changes, etc. In order to correctly determine the cause of diarrhea, you must show the kitten to the veterinarian. Only he can diagnose and prescribe treatment.
Medicines for the treatment of diarrhea in kittens
There is a standard list of medications prescribed by veterinarians for diarrhea in kittens. These are, first of all, probiotics and prebiotics (Laktobifadol, Vetom), adsorbents (Enterosgel, Activated carbon, Smekta), antispasmodics (Papaverine). The use of antibacterial drugs for kittens is possible only as a last resort, with severe bacterial infections. Such drugs are prescribed exclusively by a veterinarian.
With diarrhea in kittens, Enterosgel is effective.
How to treat diarrhea in a kitten at home
Many owners of small kittens are interested in the question: what to do at home with diarrhea. The first day after the onset of diarrhea, the kitten should be held only in boiled water without food. Adsorbents that effectively clean the intestines of toxins help in this situation. From folk methods, you can use rice water (art. L. For 2 stacks. Water), a decoction of oak bark or flaxseed.
Diagnosis of the disease
Before treating diarrhea in a kitten, it is necessary to determine the cause of its occurrence. It is unlikely that this will be done independently; it is better to entrust this process to a specialist.
Important. The veterinarian needs to be told in detail what the kitten has been eating in the past few days, with whom he has been in contact.
After that, the doctor will examine the baby, determine the degree of dehydration, measure the temperature. It will be necessary to pass an analysis of feces for the presence of parasites, a general analysis of urine and blood. To exclude such dangerous diseases as pancreatitis, intestinal obstruction, sepsis and peritonitis, it is necessary to conduct an X-ray examination.
General tips and tricks
Often the cause of diarrhea is feeding low-quality food. In this case, it is necessary to urgently change the diet, provide the child with comfortable conditions, peace and quiet, provide him with sufficient amount of drinking water. To reduce gas formation, you can give the cat Smektu. Use of antibiotics and sulfonamides with diarrhea is impossible, since this will only aggravate the condition of the animal. On the first day of illness, the kitten is not fed, and instead of water you can give him a solution of Regidron.
As a first aid for diarrhea in kittens, the drug Smecta is suitable.
Food for diarrhea
In case of diarrhea, a kitten should go on a hunger strike for at least 12 hours. A weakened cat should be watered from a bottle with a dummy to prevent dehydration. After a forced starvation, the animal must be fed in small portions, low-fat and low-calorie food. This may be chicken broth, boiled rice, boiled egg and kefir. Further, if the well-being of the pet has improved, you can give him chicken meat. Milk, fatty or smoked products are completely excluded from the diet.
If diarrhea was the result of helminthiasis, it is necessary to use anthelmintic suspensions. Dieting is not canceled. With a strong dehydration, you may need droppers.
For a kitten to grow up healthy and strong, you need to follow a few simple rules. It is necessary to conduct mandatory vaccination and deworming in a timely manner, regularly treat the animal with special preparations against fleas and ticks. Closely monitor the baby, hide from it all that may be harmful to health. Observe the feeding regime, and at the slightest ailments or suspicions of the disease, it is necessary to contact the veterinarian.
Causes of diarrhea
The occurrence of diarrhea can be triggered by several factors. There are the following:
- Worm infestation. An infant may become infected by “uninvited” inhabitants from his mother, walking along the street, trying an infected product.
- Improper diet is one of the causes of diarrhea. The abrupt transition of some products to others, overeating, poor-quality food, can provoke a violation of the digestive system in the baby. Introduce new products into the diet gradually, monitor their quality, then problems can be avoided.
- Infectious diseases - chlamydia, viral peritonitis provoke diarrhea. These diseases are very contagious and can sometimes prove themselves, even if the kitten is vaccinated. If the baby has black feces, with blood, this indicates the presence of an internal disease (enteritis, panleukopenia) or internal bleeding.
- If the vomiting is accompanied by diarrhea, it is quite possible that the kitten has swallowed some sharp object or poisonous substance. Not timely assistance will lead to disastrous consequences.
- The most "innocuous" reason - weaning from mother's milk, stressful situation from a change of residence. However, do not underestimate its importance, since it threatens not only a disorder of the digestive system, but also a weakening of the immune system.
Elimination of the problem in 1.5 month crumbs
If the baby suddenly fell ill for 1.5 months - the first thing that needs to be done is to isolate it from the rest of the "cat" family.
If the reason is the consumption of "human" food, immediately stop giving it. Water more often kitten sweetened with water. Give him 2 times a day from a syringe a solution of activated carbon at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight. About days do not feed the baby, let's just water. After that, a decoction of rice, boiled to a state of thick jelly.
If it is helminths, then Dirofen, Fenalidon, Fenasal, Cetovex, Praziquantel, Pyrantel will do. After a time antihelminth course repeat. To restore the microflora is given Vetom, Linex, Bifidumbakterin, Laktobifid.
Kitten problems 2 months
In a kitten 2 months old, diarrhea is most often caused by a change of place of residence, weaning from the mother.
The baby is under tremendous stress from the move. Give probiotics to the kitten, arrange a secluded corner where he can hide. Water your baby with water. To remove intestinal spasms prescribe papaverine.
Not bad proved in such cases koopektat. If you follow all the recommendations and surround your baby with care and love, in a week all the symptoms will go away.
How to cure diarrhea in a kitten
What is the treatment of diarrhea in a little kitten? If it is not caused by an infectious disease, first of all:
- Provide a crumb rest.
- If the reason - poor-quality food, it is removed from the diet.
- The first day the kitten sits on a "starvation diet", the second - "half-starved."
- Unhindered access to clean drinking water.
- Instead of water, a solution of Regidron will do. You can provide your baby decoctions of flax seed, oak bark, rice, oatmeal.
- To reduce the processes of fermentation and gas formation in the intestines, the kitten is given activated charcoal, a baby Smekt.
- Antibiotics and sulfonamides with ordinary diarrhea do not apply. They are appointed solely by a veterinarian.
- The use of probiotics to restore microflora is acceptable.
Transfer the kitten to the usual food should be gradually. The general recommendation is that food should be “light”, not greasy. Immediately after diarrhea, chicken broth, boiled egg, low-fat kefir, rice porridge with beef or chicken mince are gradually given.
If the condition of the baby does not improve, and the fever, lack of appetite, depressed state do not pass, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Determination by color of feces kitten problems
Immediately reservation: an accurate diagnosis can be put only by specialists in the veterinary clinic. But still, if fecal masses:
- Yellow - this is an alarm about poor digestion of food.
- Orange - liver problems.
- Greens are accompanied by vomiting - food poisoning and the process of rotting in the intestine.
- Black - problems with the upper digestive tract.
- White - bile does not pass into the intestines, blockage of the paths.
- With mucus - inflamed colon.
- Gray with a rancid odor - problems of absorption of the digestive system.
- Bulk - an excessive amount of fiber in the diet.
- Foamy - infection by bacteria.
- Fatty - damaged pancreas.
Use very carefully drugs and folk remedies. Sometimes stopping diarrhea in a kitten is much easier than finding the cause of its occurrence.
The task is not only to eliminate diarrhea, but also to eliminate the cause.
Diarrhea in a monthly kitten
In this case, the appearance of diarrhea may be due to the following factors:
- congenital abnormalities
- bad milk in a cat,
- intrauterine infections
- unsuitable artificial formula for feeding.
Since at such a young age, kittens practically do not have the necessary vital forces, their body is not yet able to absorb medicines. As a result, most of the monthly kittens with prolonged diarrhea usually die.
What then should a caring owner do? First of all - to isolate the kitten from other members of the cat family, and then as soon as possible to carry him to the vet.
Kitten diarrhea at 2 months
Two-month kittens diarrhea more often due to changes in halo habitat. Practice shows that it is at this age that the older generation is given into other hands.
At the same time, the kitten may be quite understandable stress, so bowel disorder is one of the symptoms seen with the naked eye.
In this case, the owner should take care of creating comfort for the baby. To do this, he can arrange for him a separate corner, as well as iron and in every possible way support a furry friend.
To stop loose stools in a two-month baby, you need to follow these rules:
- Ensure the kitten is complete rest.
- Isolate from others.
- Do not give food for about 10 hours, but you can give water in unlimited quantities.
- After 10 hours you can try to feed a little.
- On a half-starved diet (food should be very light) you have to hold the kitten for another 12 hours.
Kitten diarrhea at 3 months
Three-month kittens are already formed animals that are full of energy.
The main causes of diarrhea at three months of age:
- overeating baby
- the kitten tried something inedible
If diarrhea is protracted, you should contact your veterinarian.
Kitten diarrhea at 4 months or more
At this age, kittens suffer from diarrhea for the very same reasons as adult cats, namely intestinal diseases and stress.
For the treatment of diarrhea in a four-month kitten, standard techniques are used, which correspond to the specific situation.
Important! If untreated, prolonged diarrhea carries a serious danger to the lives of animals. Launched diarrhea can in a short time lead to dehydration, and then to the death of a kitten.
In this case, treatment should be entrusted to a qualified veterinarian. The specialist can choose the correct method of treatment, taking into account the type of disease that provoked diarrhea, as well as the individual characteristics of the pet.
Diarrhea and vomiting
The most common cause of diarrhea and vomiting in kittens is improper nutrition.
In this case, it is not recommended to dramatically change the diet of the baby, but to switch to a new food slowly, daily and gradually increasing the amount of the new product in the usual pet diet.
If the owner noticed that the kitten is eating too much, he should reduce the number of servings. Feed the baby need more often, but smaller.
However, hope for a quick solution is not worth it. If vomiting does not stop for a long time, it is important to immediately contact a good veterinarian. In the case of a serious condition of the kitten, you should use the service of a veterinarian to the house.
Diarrhea and lack of appetite
If a very small kitten is cursed and refuses to eat, then the reason may lie in the fact that he was recently “weaned”, he got used to the mother's milk, and his body did not have time to adapt to adult food.
If the kitten is older, the appearance of diarrhea may be due to banal immoderation in food.
If the discharge from the baby almost does not stop - this is a clear symptom of indisposition. If the owner is concerned about the pet's health, he should consider isolating him.
In the presence of a sharp offensive odor from fecal masses, blood impurities, if they are of liquid consistency and unnatural color, this is a signal of the need for urgent hospitalization.
Diarrhea of different colors
The usual color of the feces of kittens is brown in its various shades.
If you find that the color of the baby’s chair has changed, then this should not be ignored:
- If it is black (with blood), panleukopenia or enteritis may be present. In addition, there is the likelihood of open internal bleeding. This condition of the kitten is very dangerous, which requires an immediate appeal to the veterinarian, otherwise the animal will surely die.
- Yellow diarrhea is a sign of dysbiosis, inflammation of the stomach or the presence of worms.
- If green secretions are accompanied by an increase in temperature, this means that the processes of decay are activated. The animal is subject to urgent hospitalization in order to undergo the necessary antibiotic treatment.
- Abundant discharge of a grayish tint with a specific smell indicates a violation in the processes of digestion.
- Too light, white, liquid feces - a sign of liver problems.
- Красный понос (наличие кровяных прожилок) – кровотечение в одном из отделов ЖКТ.
Когда следует обращаться за медицинской помощью?
Even if at home you took advantage of one of the above treatment options for the animal and your pet went on the mend, it is still important to make an appointment with the vet.
The doctor will prescribe drugs to normalize your pet's microflora.
The following are the cases when it is necessary to contact a veterinarian:
- Diarrhea in a kitten does not pass during the day.
- Kitten has diarrhea with mucus or blood.
- Kitten has diarrhea and vomiting.
- The discharge is very fluid and abundant.
- If you can see that the kitten is experiencing severe pain.
- The animal becomes pale, especially the nose and gums.
- Unusually strong stench on stool.
- Increased body temperature.
- Fever and cramps.
- The animal drinks a lot of water.
When an animal suffers from diarrhea, its body inevitably weakens, dehydration occurs. If you disregard this condition, it will lead to serious complications and even death.
Do not think that everything will pass, and so on - take action. It is important to understand that home treatment is safe when the animal is generally active and healthy, as always. In other cases, you should contact a specialist.
If the baby is diarrhea, then he can be given the drug "Atoxil." To do this, dilute one packet of this product in 100 milliliters of pure water. Give the kitten the resulting solution every two hours, one teaspoon.
During diarrhea, the drug Regidron helps prevent dehydration. To prepare the solution must be strictly according to the instructions. Give the baby a solution of “Regidron” in the same dosage as “Atoxyl”.
Veterinarians recommend the use of the following drugs in such cases:
- Activated carbon,
The above medications are most conveniently injected into the mouth of a small patient, using an ordinary syringe without a needle. These funds are specifically designed to rid the body of toxins, stimulating their early elimination.
After a starvation diet, transfer the kitten to the usual diet should be gradually.
In this case, the main rule that must be strictly adhered to - the food should be low-calorie, gentle, not fatty.
Immediately after recovery, the baby can be given to him:
- boiled egg
- chicken broth,
- rice porridge with chicken or ground beef,
So, every pet owner is responsible for his health and well-being, and for this it is very important to follow the diet. It is equally important to timely make preventive vaccinations against viral and infectious diseases. Remember - the life of this fluffy miracle is completely in your hands!