Wavy parrots are very active birds, in the wild nature they manage to quickly adapt to weather and territorial conditions. Therefore, the daily diet of the wild wavy is extremely diverse: fresh shoots / buds of trees and shrubs, grass seeds and all sorts of grains from farmers' fields, fruits, berries, and parrots are content with dew or juicy fruits and young grass as a drink.
Wild wavy parrots instinctively keep their bodies in a healthy form, but domestic birds are completely dependent on our knowledge of the proper nutrition of parrots. The owner will be useful to learn how to feed a wavy parrot, in addition to the standard feed.
At home in the diet of the parrot, too, should adhere to the diversity.
Let us consider in more detail the menu of a homely wavy parrot:
- Hard food - This is the main component in the diet of the parrot. An adult individual needs 2 teaspoons of grain per day. But it happens that the bird needs a little more grain - all very individual.
Parrots wipe each grain of the shell, so you can create the appearance of a full trough, although in fact there is already empty.
Grain mixture should be in the trough constantly.
- Sprouts - very useful and rich in vitamins "live" product. In this form, the grain is very well absorbed, and the bird receives a huge amount of macro-and micronutrients, as well as vitamins.
Unlike everyday food, the soaking mixture itself has a more complex composition: chickpea, mung bean, green and red lentils, oats, wheat, alfalfa, barley, canola, safflower, millet, sunflower seeds, vetch, sorghum, sesame, buckwheat Chumiza and Mogar.
How many times a week to give germinated food depends on the age of the parrot: 1 teaspoon 2 times a week before the first molt, and less often after it, since swollen nutritional grains stimulate the production of sex hormones.
Flax and hemp seeds should not be involved in soaking!
- Mineral mixture - necessary for the proper formation of the skeleton and feathers. This is an indispensable tool in improving the digestion of poultry.
The composition of the mineral mixture: 70% of shell rock, 30% crushed chalk, fraction of 2-3 mm, shell of boiled eggs and charcoal with a ratio of 1: 1. You can buy mineral mix in the pet store. Sometimes it includes oyster shells, corals, pine nut shells, fine sandstone and sea shells.
During the molting period, sulfur should be added to the mixture (2 teaspoons of the mineral mixture - a small pinch of sulfur).
The constant presence of the mixture in a separate trough (2-3 teaspoons with a replacement every 1-2 weeks).
- Mineral Stone and Sepia (Cuttlefish Shell) - enrich the body of the parrot with calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and the bird readily grinds about their beak.
- Kashi - establish a metabolism, a rich source of trace elements, cooked in water (buckwheat / oatmeal / oats / lentils - cook for 10 minutes, but you can also steam, barley - 30min., Barley / corn / wheat / millet / rice - 20min.). Calculation: 2 teaspoons per bird, porridge should be warm, be in a separate feeder. Feed 3 times a week.
- Fruits and vegetables - an indispensable source of vitamins. Here you will find a complete list of approved products for the wavy parrot. You can feed them several times a day.
7. Greenery - tops of carrots, peas, hedgehog, ryokhovnik, leaves of wild strawberry, willow-herb, canary herb, chicken millet, flax, foxtail, mung beet, wood louse, clover, bluegrass, oat, dandelion, shepherd's purse, nasturtium, perennial chaff, plantain, wild baler , millet, wheat, wheatgrass, chamomile, lettuce, leaf lettuce, snyt, knotweed, timothy, chicory, spring and autumn leaves of willow, thin branches of young trees with buds and leaves. In the cold season, you can use your parrot feed to grow fresh greens.
If you are not sure whether it is possible to give this or that grass to a parrot - do not give it.
List of herbs that can not parrots: basil, St. John's wort, cilantro, onion, buttercup, parsley, tansy, wormwood, celery, yarrow, dill, horsetail, celandine, sorrel, hyssop.
8. Fruit tree branches - budgerigars are lovers of chewing on everything and this will be the best and most useful option for them.
To get "rodents" should be away from roads and industrial areas. House branches soak for 4 hours in water, wash well and pour boiling water. Using any detergent is dangerous to the life of the bird. The branches should not be resin trees.
You can branches: apple, currant, mountain ash, alder, citrus, birch, linden, maple, willow, chestnut, cherry, alder, mountain ash, plum, viburnum, beech, hornbeam, hawthorn, sea buckthorn, red chokeberry and hazel.
You can not give branches: lilac, elderberry, conifers, bird cherry, acacia, coffee tree and oak.
9. Treats - pamper our pets worth only natural products.
What you can feed: red millet in spikelets, chumiza, payza, mogar and senegalese millet. If you give in abundance - the bird refuses to eat food, and will wait only for treats. If it is a spikelet, then a day is enough to give one small twig-ball.
Categorically it is impossible: nuts, cones, seeds and grains (some of them are present in the main feed, but in a minimal amount, as they are very nutritious and contain fats and in a greater extent affect the functioning of the liver and the gastrointestinal tract). Also, do not buy all kinds of chopsticks (egg, honey, cereal) - they contain a lot of sugar, dyes, dry vitamins, preservatives and grains of dubious quality.
10. Vitamins. If your bird needs a vitamin supplement, then you should buy drugs in pet stores and veterinary pharmacies. When doing a course of vitamins, exclude from the diet of fruits and vegetables, so that the bird receives moisture only from fortified water. Water should be changed twice a day, as water deteriorates quickly and vitamins lose their properties.
You can give: Trixie Mauser-tropfen, Beaphar Mauser Tropfen, Beaphar Lebensvitamine Vinka or Vita Sol Multi Vitamin.
Before the first molt, it is not recommended to give vitamins to a wavy parrot!
11. Water - The most important component of bird nutrition. Water should be clean, fresh and always be present in the drinker.
Now, knowing how to feed a wavy parrot at home, you can easily make the best option for a tasty and healthy menu for the bird.
What can not feed wavy parrots
The list of prohibited foods: salt, sugar, bread, nuts and seeds, milk, dairy products, cheese, sausage, meat, fish, mushrooms, coffee, chocolate, chips, alcohol, forbidden fruits for birds, vegetables and greens, canned foods, boiled vegetables, food from a person’s mouth.
The diet of small chicks before the first molt (3-4 months) differs only in the fact that boiled egg and curd are added, as well as sprouted grains in a much larger amount.
The digestive parrot system is designed to digest the grains and assimilate the bark of young trees, grass, fruits and berries, if your bird receives all these components - good health and cheerful waving chirping, you are provided for many years.
What do parrots eat in nature?
It is important to know what parrots and other small birds eat in their natural environment in order to provide them with everything they need at home. Wild budgerigars are nomadic birds that are found freely in arid regions of Australia.
They choose meadows and forest regions, and in rainy time they visit farmland and suburbs. The regions of their habitat are very arid, therefore parrots may not drink water in captivity for a long time.
In nature, small birds are mined:
- seeds of land plants, shrubs and trees,
- seeds of kangaroo grass,
- bark of trees and shrubs
- Exotic fruits.
Birds fly from place to place, looking for food and water sources. Their natural food depends on the region, where parrots live in nature. As already mentioned, the arid and semi-arid Australian regions, but feeding there for small birds is very diverse, nutritious and fortified.
Features homemade food wavy parrot
In addition to standard food at home, budgerigars need other sources of nutrients, trace elements and vitamins necessary for healthy development and reproduction.
Watch the video, as the wavy eats with his hands
The question of feeding is one of the most important for the owner. After all, feeding parrots is the basis of its health and longevity, therefore, it is necessary to approach the solution of this problem with full responsibility.
In this article, the basic components of the diet will be discussed in some detail. If you sincerely accustom your pet to the right food, then in the future there will be no questions what to feed the bird.
Grain feed - the basis of the diet
There is no need to invent anything, but you should pay attention to the finished feed. In any pet store will help you choose the food that fits your mind. The finished grain mixtures from different manufacturers may differ slightly in composition, but in general, they all have approximately the same composition:
- - millet
- - oats
- - sunflower seeds (not roasted).
Also, some manufacturers add vitamins to feed. When buying food, you should pay attention to the fact that the package was intact, and the shelf life has not expired.
A young wavy parrot at home and, especially during seasonal moulting, should be fed not only with purchased grain mixtures, but also prepared by yourself. They are loved by canaries, Corella parrots and macaws. The composition of such homemade mixes caring owners of birds include seeds:
- meadow grasses
Roasted seeds should not be given to birds. When feeding wavy parrots and other small birds at home, the standard daily seed rate is defined - 2 teaspoons per day.
Many birds eat only certain varieties of seeds, but they cannot be increased in grain mixtures.
Diluting the daily mixture with various delicacies and additions can harm your pet.
Among the owners of parrots (especially wavy) sometimes there is a perception that grain feed for their birds is quite enough. However, it is not.
Branches of trees and shrubs for a healthy beak
The diet should not be limited to grains. It’s no secret that all birds love to nibble something, and this “something” is not always useful for them (wallpaper, plaster, ceiling tiles, etc.). That is why many owners of birds feathered to put tree branches in the cages.
It should be noted that the branches should not be torn down along the motorways, garbage dumps and factories - such wood is not safe for a wavy parrot.
It is best to follow them to the forest or the nearest park. Preference should be given to the branches of birch, alder, chestnut, willow. It should not be allowed to bite the branches of coniferous trees (due to the content of tannins in them) and poplar (due to the absorption of toxic substances from the atmosphere).
Poultry would not eat away every day also bark with twigs:
- 1) beech,
- 2) ash,
- 3) apple trees
- 4) hazel,
- 5) raspberries,
- 6) aspens,
- 7) hawthorn
- 8) viburnum.
For a variety of pet offer a sprig of citrus trees, chestnut, mountain ash, pear, viburnum. For novice breeders who have learned little yet that parrots eat in nature, it is worth knowing that they should not break the branches of acacia, elderberry, lilacs, which can poison the poultry.
Before giving branches to the bird, they should be soaked in cold water for several hours and then boiled over with boiling water.
Animal squirrels in the diet of the birdie
In addition to plant foods, about which much has been said above, animal proteins can and should be added to the diet. Here preference can be given to grated boiled egg or low-fat cottage cheese.
Animal squirrels are very important at home, wavy parrot gladly eats most foods containing proteins. This is the main supplementary feed of animal origin, including a lot of vitamins and minerals that are absent in feed of plant origin.
Protein should be given to the bird every day when nesting, seasonal molting, breeding of small chicks, in other cases it is enough once a week.
Try to feed a variety of: not limited to grains
They give such perishable food daily fresh and remove the remnants of the previous one, which quickly rot and can cause illness. Often for animal food prepare separate feeders. Of the most common and harmless additives for animal protein wavy emit:
- 1. Boiled chicken egg. Particularly willing to eat parrots at home yolk, containing the highest concentration of vitamins and essential organic substances.
- The egg is also rich in minerals: iron, iodine, potassium, phosphorus, sulfur, chlorine, bromine. It is boiled for birds that are kept at home, hard-boiled and finely crumbled.
- Fans of budgerigars prepare soft egg mixes for their pets, adding white crackers, grated fresh beets, carrots, and semolina to the egg. On a tablespoon of protein feed, it is useful to add a couple of droplets of fat. As a rule, the wavy eats such food, if you accustom him to it immediately.
- 2. Fat-free cottage cheese - a source of healthy protein, important for bird health. It includes magnesium and essential vitamins, as well as lactic acid, phosphorus, essential iron, and potassium. This product gives the bird fresh and crumbly.
- Poisoning causes acidified product. In the cottage cheese is allowed to add and semolina.
- 3. Fish oil includes vitamin A and D, phosphorus necessary for the feathered friend, and a rare element - iodine. A couple of droplets it is stirred in cereal feed.
- 4. Gammarus or meal worms - nutritious protein diet for parrots. In the wild, wild birds eat rarely insects, but for proper home care it is necessary to include such ingredients.
Mineral components and vitamins
Mineral supplements are needed to provide the body with micronutrients that are necessary for the formation of skeletal bones.
Sepia (part of the skeleton of the cuttlefish) must be in the cage, which is an excellent source of calcium. Chalk for birds or pre-boiled and dried eggshells are also good.
For those who only find out what else the parrot eats at home, you should also know about some mineral dressings:
1. Bone meal. Together with the eggshell, it is a source of phosphorus and firming bone and feathers of calcium. Such additives are added to bird sand or wet feed mixtures.
Flour is especially important during the period of seasonal molting, because it nourishes the body of wavy salts, which are important in the formation of feathers. Such a simple and inexpensive dressing is sold in simple pet stores.
2. Small pebbles with sand. Under natural conditions, wild parrots eat together with other food and such components. In the stomach of a bird, they mechanically grind food and help digestion and enzyme breakdown.
In sealed packs of sand for birds sold everywhere. It is forbidden to use simple sand from beaches or construction sites, as there is a risk of infestation by parasites.
3. Charcoal. In nature, budgerigars get it from the bark of trees. It contains important trace elements.
It is ground and sprinkled with birds together with eggshell and sand. It removes heavy compounds, poisons and gases from the organs of the feathered friend.
What fruits and vegetables can parrots
The diet of parrots should include fruits and vegetables - they are an important component of the diet of your feathered pet, as they contain vitamins and trace elements.
The most useful for pets will be apples, plums, bananas, pears, strawberries, kiwi, pumpkin, corn, carrots or beets. You should not give your pet any spicy and spicy vegetables, as well as potatoes and eggplant (due to the content of solanine in them).
Fruits in small quantities are useful to the bird.
Every bird owner needs to know what else parrots eat except food when they are kept at home. Their proper diet in nature includes exotic fruits, such as kiwi or all sorts of wild berries. In the menu of wavy pet birds it is better to add:
- • steamed or dried berries (lingonberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, mountain ash, cranberries),
- • Garnet,
- • citrus,
- • cherry or cherry
- • a pineapple,
- • green pea,
- • corn,
- • a tomato,
- • green lettuce or spinach,
- • melon,
- • pumpkin,
- • different varieties of cabbage,
- • Bell pepper.
It is important to remember that all the vegetables and fruits that you will give to your bird must be fresh, thoroughly washed and not contain any pesticides or other chemicals that could irreparably damage the health of your friend.
Greens in the parrot menu
Greens never hurt the parrots. For those who have not yet fully studied the question of how to feed domestic wavy parrots, it is worth knowing that such food will not harm birds if administered daily. Вся трава должна быть хорошо промытой и свежей. Попугаи любят кушать:
- • репейник (лопух),
- • луговые травы,
- • клевер,
- • листья шпината,
- • крапиву,
- • виноградную лозу,
- • зелень овса,
- • young leaves of fruit trees and cereals,
- • plantain leaves,
- • beet and carrot tops,
- • green leafy salads.
Dill, parsley, celery, cilantro and other fragrant and spicy herbs are prohibited for wavy operators. Juicy green fills in the nature of water reserves. Houses change water every day, without thinking about how much a parrot can live normally without water. Wild birds can withstand long gaps between fluid intakes, but at home they should be given fresh water every day.
What is forbidden to domestic parrots
In the menu of small birds it is forbidden to include fresh bread crumb, only in the form of crushed crackers, as well as salt, milk, chocolate and other sweets, soups, fried, flour products. This does not mean that the bird will refuse to eat this food, but it will lead to metabolic disorders, obesity and even premature death of birds. Human food is not suitable for birds. Only a well-chosen menu is a guarantee of the health of a wavy pet for many years.
Eating parrots in their natural habitat
Different breeds differ in both food preferences and the volume / composition of natural food.. Large and small parrots incomparable energy consumption, dictating their ratio of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
It is interesting! Large parrots focus on the fruits, buds and seeds of fruit trees, not giving up flowers, nuts and berries. The menu is determined by the living conditions of the birds. For example, a macaw living in the tropics of South and Central America leans mostly on nuts with fruit and does not particularly like grain.
Ashy handsome Jaco living in West Africa loves flowers, nuts, and fruits, including papaya and palm trees. Medium-sized parrots readily eat fruits, seeds, and suitable plants, often digging up their roots, tubers, or bulbs.
People who plowed up the vast territories of Australia under wheat fields changed the taste preferences of the budgerigars: they had to switch to wheat grains (of any degree of maturity). In addition, wavy eaters willingly eat grass seeds, fruits, buds, greens, tender shoots and even small insects.
How to feed a parrot at home
Even unpretentious in the home content wavy parrots require a thoughtful approach to their diet, which must be not only diverse, but also harmless.
Until now, there is no consensus about the optimal balance of grains and fruits in food for parrots. Some ornithologists believe that under fresh vegetables and fruits, 60% should be allotted, others believe that 40%, and still others believe that at least 80%, leaving only 20% of the daily ration for grain.
The owner of an exotic feathered must remember that the daily rate of the small species does not exceed 20 g of the grain mixture, an average - 30 g, and a large one - 50 g. , as well as with the comfort of the environment and other factors.
All bird feed can be divided into animal and vegetable. The first are eggs, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, insects with larvae. The vegetable group, along with vegetables and fruits, includes leafy greens, grains, nuts, branches, inflorescences, and seeds.
Granulated Parrot Food
Grain crops, vegetables and minerals / vitamins are involved in the production of granules. Cornmeal, to which several other grains and vegetables are added, is added to the center of the feed, flavoring the mixture with amino acids and mineral additives. Granulated food is good because it allows the parrot owner not to worry about adding additional vitamin-mineral complexes: all the vital elements are in the granules.
Important! Parrots are contraindicated dry food, addressed to other pets (fish, dogs and cats). Both vegetarian and proteinaceous (with animal proteins) industrial feed are banned.
As a rule, the manufacturer assembles the feed and calculates the size of the granules, based on the characteristics of the birds (for the nursing, the sick) and their dimensions (for large, medium and small). However, your parrot will not read the instructions on the packages and will eventually choose which granules it is more interesting for him to torment - small ones or those that are bigger.
The criterion for classifying the granulated mixture into one of three categories is the production method:
- organic food (grown without chemicals and pesticides),
- cheap (low quality).
Regardless of the class of feed, your pet may respond to some of its components: in this case, you can not do without a veterinarian.
Feed developers are convinced that their product should occupy at least 80% of the diet, and leave to the share of nuts, grains, vegetables and fruits only 1/5 of the daily norm. Entering the granulated mixture into the daily feeding of birds, add the granules to the usual grain mixture, gradually increasing their number.
There are many proven foreign products, well-proven as a food for parrots: in addition to grain, there are usually nuts, dried fruits and mineral additives. Feel free to experiment, mixing food intended for different species: this makes it more complete and useful.
Important! We will have to forget about the slogan “choose domestic”: the lion’s share of Russian mixtures is dangerous for your birds.
Add to the grain mix and inedible natural ingredients such as wood chips, pieces of pine cones, pieces of unpainted cardboard: they will make the pet's beak work and its brain meanders.
In addition to the grain, seedlings should appear in the feeder of large parrots, but their volume must be controlled, since the sprouted grains can trigger sexual instinct. And if you are not going to mate your parrots, do not feed them seedlings.
In good imported mixtures, usually such a concentration of nuts / seeds that they have to be removed from the feed so that the parrot does not plant the liver (very vulnerable in all birds).
Do not feed the parrot with unrefined peanuts: there are many of them in factory mixes, and peanuts bought on the market can be affected by mold. The fungus provokes intoxication and chronic mycoses, which are difficult to get rid of.
Important! Do not believe the fables that pumpkin seeds have a striking anthelmintic effect. They can be diluted menu, but only as a product, not an anthelmintic agent.
Nut platter may consist of pistachios, pecans, sweet almonds and macadamia. The latter (certainly in the shell), as well as palm nuts, is introduced into the menu of green-winged and hyacinth macaws: these large birds need high-calorie dry fruits.
Toxic include such seeds and nuts:
- apple seeds,
- almond (bitter),
- fruit kernels of plum, cherry, cherry and apricot,
- black cherry fruits.
In these and other stones there are cyanides in the form of amygdalin: it gives the hydrocyanic acid when splitting, causing poisoning. The longer the seeds / fruits are stored, the stronger the intoxication.
If you still indulge the parrot with such bones, do not forget about prevention, adding sorbents to the feed:
- lactofiltrum or polyphepanum,
- white / blue pharmacy clay,
- fresh branches, where a lot of lignin (natural fibers).
Due to excessive fat content, coconut, Brazil nuts and cashews are not recommended for parrots. Small parrots sunflower seeds and nuts (walnut, hazelnuts and others) are given 1-2 times a month in minimal doses. Nuts offered to parrots, do not fry, do not salt and do not sweeten.
Fruit and greens in the diet of parrots
There are very few phytonutrients and antioxidants in industrial mixtures, which is why a parrot cannot be deprived of leafy greens, vegetables and fruits. Purchased agricultural products must be washed (preferably with baking soda) to rid the surface of wax.
Important! Feeding up the pet, do not peel the Russian citrus peel (tangerines, lemons, oranges, grapefruits, lime), but remove it from overseas fruits. Spoil the bird with bananas and pineapples, watermelon and melon pulp.
From the berries recommended:
- wild strawberries (garden and forest),
- raspberry, gooseberry and currant,
- bilberries, lingonberries and cranberries,
- blackberries and blueberries
- black chokeberry and red,
- wild rose and honeysuckle edible
- cherries and cherries, free from pits,
- shadberry and viburnum.
The latter is contraindicated for parrots with weak kidneys, but also for healthy individuals it is given in small portions and only in thawed form. The remaining berries are served fresh or thawed.
With caution, the birds are served with store dried fruits, washing them thoroughly and soaking them. It can be apple slices, raisins, figs, dried apricots, dates and prunes. In the feast can participate fresh fruits: apples and pears (seedless), kiwi and figs, apricot, peach and plum (seedless), quince (without seeds) and pomegranate (without peel), grapes (3-4 berries per day) .
The vegetable kingdom in the diet of parrots is represented by such gifts:
- carrots (can be with tops),
- pepper with seeds (sweet / hot),
- cucumbers and tomatoes
- turnip, rutabaga and turnips (blanched),
- squash, zucchini, zucchini and pumpkin (with seeds),
- stewed beets and their tops,
- blanched kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts,
- celery, green beans and green peas (after blanching),
- broccoli and cauliflower, boiled for 3-5 minutes.
Corn cob (especially unpeeled) will become not only food, but also entertainment: about a quarter of the cob per day relies to the parrot.
Important! Periodically place leafy greens in the feeder, including lettuce, young nettles, snyt, spinach and plantain.
The list of fermented milk products suitable for parrots (no fatter than 3.0%) looks like this:
- kefir, sour milk, ryazhenka (twice a week),
- yoghurt (without additives)
- baby fruit and curd puree,
- cottage cheese (1 p per week). Allowed to add a drop of honey.
Twice a week you can offer honey (large and medium birds - half a teaspoon, small - at its tip).
Sour milk is taught to eat from a spoon or mixed with grain. Feathery products, as well as sour cream, cream and milk should not be given to the feathered. A mixed dish of shredded carrots and eggs is useful for growing birds of small and medium breeds. Young parrots need 1-2 p per week of protein and yolk (chicken and quail).
Adults singles do not need eggs, so as not to stimulate the sexual reflex (you can give a piece every 2 weeks). Grasshoppers, beetles and larvae diversify food, but can infect birds with parasites. Therefore, live food is better to take in the store.
Vitamins and Minerals
They are especially in demand in the winter and during the molting period. The course consists of a 14-day admission with a break for 2 months. The role of natural mineral dressing is sepia (shell of sea cuttlefish). He is in a cage until the bird finally breaks it apart.
If there is sepia, calcium preparations are not needed, but in order for it to be absorbed by the body, vitamin D (produced under the sun or under the rays of a UV lamp) and amino acids are required. The source of the latter are cereals (buckwheat, wheat, wild rice, oats) and legumes. A lot of natural calcium in spinach and beet tops, but both plants contain oxalic acid, inhibiting its absorption.
Important! Do not feed your pet fish oil: it is supersaturated with vitamins A, D and E. Such a shock dose to your home recluse is not required and will only harm him.
Parrots do without gastrolit (pebbles, mashing the contents of the bird's stomach). The parrot's digestion process starts in the goiter, since even the smallest breeds (thanks to the specific design of the beak) crush solid food, unlike other birds, which swallow it whole.
Water in the drinker change at least 1 p per day. It is better to abandon the liquid from the tap in favor of children's bottled water, which occasionally add lemon juice (h. Spoon per glass) or some honey. Use filtered or pasteurized honey at home: raw is infected with bacteria.
List of useful drinks for parrot:
- mineral water without gas (like "Narzan"),
- freshly squeezed and baby juices (fruit and vegetable). They can be mixed with water,
- decoctions of chamomile and wild rose,
- tea (as a tonic) occasionally.
Calcium gluconate, as well as vitamin supplements, is not added to juices in order to avoid immediate oxidation of those and others.
Parrots tend to change their gastronomic tastes from season to season, requiring burning citrus fruits in the frosts of burning mulled wine, ripened berries in the summer and autumn, and ripened buds in the spring and spring. Gnawing on the branches, the bird not only gets fiber and trace elements, but also grinds (as it should be by nature) its beak.
In the registry of useful trees and shrubs appear:
- apple, rowan and cherry,
- raspberry and currant,
- birch, willow and linden,
- hawthorn and elm,
- maple, alder and ash.
The branches are cut away from factories and highways, if necessary putting them in storage in the freezer. All shoots must be washed with a brush with soap, rinsed and doused with boiling water. In winter, branches can be placed in the water to please the pet with swollen buds.
Important! Another persistent delusion concerns tansy: supposedly the plant fights birdworms. In this way, you will not get rid of helminthiasis, but you will definitely poison your parrot.
Excluded from the diet:
- oak, bird cherry and pear (due to tannic components),
- coniferous (because of the resin), but you can give needles, separated from the branches,
- poplar, wood and bark of which are more active than other trees, absorb atmospheric toxins,
- lilac and acacia, where there is syringine, which gives hydrocyanic acid during decay.
Thin branches are cut into small fragments or put whole, medium - give the bird in the foot or fixed on the string straight in the cage.
What can not feed a parrot
Under the ban - all the dishes (and their ingredients) from your table. Even boiled soup vegetables contain salt and fat that are not acceptable in the poultry diet.
The list of prohibited products also includes:
- papaya and mango, with the exception of dried,
- avocado (because of poisonous persin),
- rhubarb and sorrel (because of oxalic acid, bad for the kidneys, causing diarrhea and internal bleeding),
- potatoes containing hard-to-digest starches,
- mushrooms and eggplant, in which there is a solanine, provoking gastric disorders,
- herbs, such as cilantro, dill, parsley and others
- raw legumes (soy, red and lima beans),
- onion and garlic.
Important! Parrots can not be fed white bread dipped in milk. The bird does not know how to digest milk, and fresh breadcrumbs, in addition to yeast, contain a lot of salt.
Bread from rye flour is even more dangerous: swelling, it causes stomach cramps and indigestion, and thanks to a special glycoside it inhibits beneficial microorganisms. If you want to pamper the bird, let it try the white rusk.
One last thing: do not feed the parrot from your mouth. With this method of feeding, you will give him fungi that live in the microflora of your mouth, safe for you, but dangerous for the bird.
Before you start eating a wavy parrot, it is best to get acquainted with what wavy parrots love. Under natural conditions, on the Australian territory, these birds eat, mainly, seeds and cereals of plants, can nibble buds or branches of young trees. Also, do not fly past the live protein - small edible insects.
But how to feed wavy parrots at home to maintain their health? Of course, feeding the parrot with anything, especially with scraps from your table, is not a good option. Such attempts can end in failure: from failures in the coordinated work of the body of the pet, to death.
In order to feed the bird without such complications, it is necessary to know how to properly feed a wavy parrot: what can be given and what cannot. The diet of the budgerigar should consist of the following ingredients:
Let us consider in more detail what exactly of the above can be eaten by undulating pets.
Food for wavy parrots is divided into two types: animal and vegetable. The first type consists of eggs, fish oil, cottage cheese and other products. Feeding wavy parrots with food of animal origin should be carried out no more than three times a month, this type of food is considered to be additional.
What you can give to birds from animal food and what you can not feed wavy parrots you learn from the article "Can bread, eggs and other products."
The basis of bird food
The second forage form of food for the wavy pet consists of a variety of plant seeds, grains, fruits, vegetables, greens, and berries. The best feed for wavy parrots is a cereal mixture. It is also considered the basis of any avian diet and may contain the following ingredients:
- different varieties of millet,
- canary seed
- flax seeds,
- nougat seeds
- sesame seeds
- safflower seeds,
- hemp seed,
- raw sunflower seeds,
- wildflower seeds.
What you can feed a wavy parrot, choose only you - in the market of bird feed presented a huge variety of grain mixtures. For example, feed Padovan, Prestige, Kiki, Rio and others.
To choose a favorite feed for your bird, you must first give it a try of one brand. When it ends - another, until you find the one that the pet will not only eat with special pleasure, but also loudly ask for supplements. Также «волнистиков» можно заинтересовать монокормом – разные зерна в отдельных упаковках. Например, просто овес или отдельно канареечное семя.
Now we will talk about how to feed a wavy parrot so that it is not hungry, but does not earn obesity, as well as the quality of the grain mixture.
Daily rate of grain mixture
On the day of wavy pet should eat no more than two or three teaspoons of food, or about twenty grams. Young birds can eat a little more adults, as their body needs energy and full development, which it takes from food.
Make sure your pet does not overeat - give it a maximum of three teaspoons per day. Do not spoil the parrot. If you notice that the feed has started to end in the first half of the day - do not sprinkle the bird with the entire daily rate in the morning, but stretch it for the whole day.
In wavy parrot food should be regular. These birds simply can not starve, because they have a very fast metabolism. Their body quickly digests and assimilates food, so they can not do without it for more than a day. Be careful: pets usually eat the grain, and leave the husk - do not take it for edible food. Replenish the food of the parrot every day.
It is preferable to choose a grain mixture or monocorm in a sealed package: in a package or in a vacuum package. A simple cardboard box or bulk food does not guarantee compliance with the necessary storage conditions. In this form, food can be spoiled.
When buying food right in the store, be sure to check the integrity of the packaging - squeeze it with your hands. If the air does not come out, then everything is in order. If there is an opportunity to consider the quality of the feed through the transparent parts of the package - use it. Do not forget to find out the expiration date, which is printed directly on the package.
Before giving wavy parrots purchased food, pour it into a plate and carefully consider. It should be free from mold, dark spots, traces of someone's vital activity: litter, insects or larvae. The quality of the grain mixture is indicated by its natural color and brilliance. You can even taste the pips on the palate - the edible feed is a pleasant, slightly sweetish one.
Germinated grains are not only an excellent alternative to dry food, but also very nutritious and healthy food. Germinated feed increases its biological value: the content of vitamins, fiber. Due to this, birds improve immunity, stabilize metabolism, restore possible malfunctions in the body.
Sprouted grains are especially useful in the cold season, during molting, when feeding offspring, when the birds lack vital substances. You can germinate millet, millet, barley and other grains.
Carefully selected grains must first be rinsed well in running water, and then pour warm water. It is desirable for the whole night. After that, the water is drained, the seeds are re-washed, poured into a suitable saucer and covered with gauze (bandage), folded in several layers. The main condition is that the fabric needs to be wetted and slightly squeezed out so that it becomes wet. The saucer is put in a dark place, where it is warm.
So that the grains do not dry out, they must be washed every three to four hours and moistened with gauze. But they should not be completely in the liquid. They give food to a pet immediately, as soon as white sprouts appear - after about twenty-four hours. Rinse before serving and dry well. You can store sprouted grains in the refrigerator, but not more than two days.
Now consider what parrots eat besides food.
Other plant food
Those who care about how to feed budgerigars besides feed, we hasten to please - these pets can also be given various fruits, vegetables, greens, berries. This food is an excellent vitamin supplements that can keep the bird's body in good shape and health. Read the details in the article “What kind of fruits and vegetables can you give to a parrot?”
Yummy for birds
In addition to the main food, you can also buy a treat for wavy parrots. In the pet stores you can offer to buy your pet sticks made of wood with grains pasted on them.
Opinions of experts about the usefulness of these snacks diverge. Some believe that birds can poison themselves with such a delicacy, since it is not known what exactly the sticky part consists of. Others claim that thanks to these chopsticks the bird will be in good physical shape. After all, to eat, she will have to try pretty.
Is it possible to give them wavy parrots to decide only you. If you are in doubt, then as a delicacy you can purchase millet or chumizu on a branch.
In addition to feed, parrots must be given branch feed. Sprigs of trees are needed not only to care for the claws and beak of a pet. They are also an element of good bird nutrition, containing fiber and various trace elements.
Fruit, birch, alder, aspen, and maple twigs are suitable for poultry. Before the pet starts to feast on a sprig, it must be disinfected with boiling water.
Porridge for wavy parrots contain vital substances (trace elements) that can restore the disturbed metabolism in poultry. For the preparation of cereals use buckwheat, beans, rice and other cereals, together or separately, with the addition of legumes, chopped fruits or vegetables.
Cook porridge need only water-based, without salt and sugar. Store the prepared food in the refrigerator for no more than two days.
A bird should always have clean water. It must be periodically changed so that it remains potable. Pet can not pour raw water, boiled or with gases. It is best to use filtered water or bottled, with the presence of potassium, magnesium and sodium. You can add lemon juice, boiled chamomile or wild rose.
“Wonder” can also be given freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juices. Juices for young children are also suitable for wavy pets, as long as there is no sugar in their composition. Such juices need to be diluted with water. However, this drink has one drawback - it cannot stay in a bird's drinker for a long time, as it deteriorates quickly.
And what do you feed your parrot?
Please share the article with your friends and like it.
What can parrots eat
At home in tropical conditions, the budgerigar eats berries, fruits, and can hunt for insects. Eating grass, cereal grains and some root vegetables.
And how to feed a wavy parrot at home? The bird requires special care and must be properly fed. The secret is that this pet can try to eat even what it is contraindicated. Therefore, you need to carefully monitor that he does not eat anything extra and do not harm his health. Otherwise, the bird may even die.
Many people choose ready-made food for wavy parrots. Usually it contains the necessary vitamins and beneficial trace elements. But the birds need and juicy food in the form of vegetables, fruits and berries. But sometimes the birds do not accept such food, because they are not accustomed to it since early childhood. Therefore, chicks need to be taught to a healthy diet.
For a start, you can grate something on a small grater, for example, a carrot, and put it next to the usual feed.
Start feeding the parrot, such as carrots
It is not difficult to find what to feed the budgies, except for food. Birds like cereals, which include seeds of millet, sesame, millet, barley, flax. You can pamper your pet with barley, oats, buckwheat.
Another option is to give a parrot porridge. The main rule: this dish should be cooked without salt and sugar and only on water. Grains such as rice, buckwheat, oatmeal, corn, and wheat are suitable. You can insist in a thermos one or another easily boiled soft cereal.
One parrot needs about 2 tsp. porridge. But we must remember that nutrition must be balanced to ensure the health of the wards.
A parrot needs about 20 grams of food per day, small - less, up to 20 g.
Parrots except feed drink water, without which they can not live. Water should be of high quality, better filtered. In no case do not give cold and chlorinated water from the tap. Boiled is not desirable, because there are no nutrients.
Pet must drink warm water, which is infused day. Every day should be given a new drink. It can drip lemon juice, 1-2 drops per 1 tbsp is enough. l water. You can enrich the water with fruit juice - 1 drop per 1 tbsp. l or resort to vitamin drops.
The best option is to put a saucer in a cage with a water that the bird will drink. In addition, she can splash in it.
Vegetables for birds
You can feed a lot of parrots, including vegetables such as:
- any cabbage (blanched),
- tomatoes and cucumbers (fresh),
- Bell pepper,
- turnips, squash, squash,
- beets (raw and infrequent, as it has a laxative effect).
Especially useful to feed the bird cucumber, containing iodine and improves digestion.
Do not deny birds in legumes. Useful green peas, beans, soybeans, lentils, chickpeas.
Parrot eating sweet pepper
Fresh corn on the cob is a sweet and healthy delicacy.
Before feeding the poultry, vegetables should be thoroughly rinsed, rinsed with boiling water to remove harmful bacteria.
Fruits and greens as a dessert
What do wavy parrots love? As a dessert, they prefer soft kernels, fruits and greens.
Vitamin-rich fruits and berries are definitely needed for feathered pets. You can treat parrots at home with the following treats:
- Useful dessert - apples and pears without seeds (they are harmful because they contain hydrocyanic acid) and peeled.
- Bananas (without peel).
- Not bad, if a parrot eats grenades, but only in small quantities and only in a healthy state.
- The grapes are rich in antioxidants (it must be rinsed thoroughly).
- Cherries, cherries, plums are given by removing the bones from them.
- Weak laxative - watermelon - you can eat a parrot, but in small quantities.
- Berries: mountain ash, blueberry, currant, cranberry, raspberry, lingonberry, strawberry, sea buckthorn are given both in fresh form and in dried.
- Good fresh, dried or steamed wild rose.
From fresh greens parrots get useful salts and vitamins. Plants are collected for food in the garden and in the garden, and in the forest and in the meadows.
Watermelon parrot can be in small quantities.
The fact that you can give a parrot:
- Parsley, spinach (if not kidney disease).
- Celery (only in the form of green shoots).
- In summer, it is not difficult to pick pet meadow herbs: plantain, wheatgrass, dandelion leaves and flowers, Ivan-tea, etc. From the herbs you can make flour in the form of pollen and add it to the feed.
What can be given from greenery in winter? The best way out is to sow oat grains on the windowsill.
Sometimes at the end of winter, flying around the apartment, the pet eats leaves of indoor plants. It may be necessary for him to replenish the supply of vitamins in the body. There is nothing wrong with this if the plant does not contain harmful substances for the parrot.
The wavy parrot eats celery
The main food for poultry is a mixture of cereals, millet and oats, which contain essential trace elements and amino acids. Everything else can be considered as additives and dainty birds.
For parrots, supplements in the form of mineral mixtures, vitamin complexes, and stones, which are offered in a wide range in stores, will be useful:
- Sepia - crushed shell of cuttlefish. Because of the content in a large number of minerals helps parrots keep the beak in a healthy form, without curvature. Sepia should be white or yellowish, smell like fish. Mineral stones - a means for the prevention of bone disease. The parathyroid gland also needs minerals. These supplements are attached to the cage from the inside, so that the parrot can always peck at them if they wish.
- Mineral organic sand. It contains crushed corals, sea shells, limestone, chalk, shell rock, clay. This mixture is necessary so that birds can grind food in the goiter. The sand can be put in a cage in a separate feeder and changed once a week. Let this supplement stand next to the pet always. Do not worry that he will eat it all the time - a healthy bird needs it. One parrot needs about 2 tsp. organic sand.
- To obtain calcium in abundance, the bird needs fodder chalk, which contains 40% calcium. Chalk can be crushed and poured into organic sand or fixed in the cell grid.
- The parrot needs more calcium, especially during laying (the protective shell of eggs is formed), so you can add calcium gluconate in ampoules to water. Another source of calcium is egg shells. It is ground and mixed with sand to obtain a separate additive.
- Coal derived from birch is useful for birds. Charcoal is given along with the shell, it is needed by birds and for removing toxins, harmful gases and salts of heavy metals.
What can feed a wavy parrot in the winter to strengthen the immune system? In addition to the usual feed, give sprouted grain, rich in vitamin E. Such an additive can be purchased in finished form or obtained at home. To do this, oats need to soak in water, and then lay out on level ground. Sometimes covered with glass. After 2 days in the heat of the grain begin to germinate - food is ready. It is necessary only to wash it before you treat the bird. In the trough you need to pour a little such useful food, because the sprouted grain quickly begins to deteriorate. Leftovers should be placed in the refrigerator. Give supplement should be 1 time per day.
Cuttlefish skeleton and crushed shells are the ideal mineral feed for parrots
In the cage, the bird not only eats, but also grinds off its beak. To do this, prepare the branches of cherry or rowan. Feeders need to have 2 - for grains and fruits (vegetables). The perches should be placed away from the feeders so that the droppings do not fall into the feed.
What is bad eating parrots
The quality of the food depends on the condition of the parrot, its appearance, and well-being. Therefore, buying food, you need to make sure that the kernels are smooth, shiny. Do not feed with mold, with an unpleasant musty smell.
Before you feed the wavy parrot with millet, you need to pay attention to the fact that the grains are in the husk, which helps to preserve healthy fats. It is said that it is impossible to feed the buds. In this list, these products:
- Deadly danger to birds is salt, which is part of human dishes. You can not feed them chocolate, milk. What is a delicacy for a person, evil for a feathered pet. Protein feed is given with caution. Rare should be cases of feeding boiled eggs, low-fat cottage cheese, small insects.
- Birds feed on pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (they should not be given fried). But here it is necessary to comply with the measure. If a bird eats such seeds more than necessary, then diarrhea may appear. The excess of such food inflames the intestinal mucosa caused by the production of large amounts of bile.
- It is necessary to abandon the feeding of poultry potatoes, garlic, onions, radishes, celery. It does not matter that the pet is not averse to try these bitter and tart fruits, you should not go on about it. Otherwise, do not avoid food poisoning.
- Not all fruits and berries are good for the parrot. The list of unwanted include persimmon, mango, avocado, papaya and some tropical berries.
- There is a risk of obesity and digestive disorders from eating nuts. Hazelnuts, cashews or walnuts will not harm if you eat these products only once a month.
- Among the greenery, useful for parrots, there are exceptions. These include those that have a spicy and tart taste (acacia, bird cherry, lilac, oak).
- Spices and spices growing in the garden are not for parrots.
- If room tradescantia and kalanchoe are harmless as food, such as azalea, chlorophytum, euphorbia, fern, ivy, are a poison for a little bird.
- The junk food for the parrot is bread, although their main food is cereal.
Parrot is contraindicated bread
To preserve the health and life of a pet, you need to provide good nutrition wavy parrot.
What bad food can do
A healthy parrot can be distinguished by external signs: bright plumage, cheerful disposition. He has brilliant eyes, the bird is singing, he does not mind flying. If the feathery pet is sluggish, sleeps more, does not want to eat and bathe, then, most likely, he fell ill.
The cause of the disease can be poor-quality food, which develops itch mites. Parasites can infect the skin, paws and cloaca of birds, on which gray-yellow growths are formed. Because of the itching and burning, the parrots suffer greatly. If time does not begin treatment, then do not avoid the death of a parrot. Suitable drugs can help pick a veterinarian or ornithologist.
Choose only quality food.
How to choose high-quality dry food? It all depends on the composition of the mixture. The quality product consists of millet (65%), oats (20%), the rest is sunflower seeds, flax, hemp. When purchasing a grain mixture, you need to make sure that the manufacturer is reliable, and the feed itself is tightly packed and contains a description of the composition.
You can not feed parrots feed that was stored incorrectly, then insects may appear in the mixture. This product is not for the pet's gentle bowel.
Грибковая и бактериальная инфекции могут вызвать другую опасную болезнь - воспаление зоба. И в этом случае самостоятельное лечение может навредить здоровью попугая.
Для предупреждения появления различных паразитов следует мыть кормушки, еженедельно убираться в клетке, чистить жердочки, игрушки, ответственно относиться к кормлению волнистых попугаев.
If the feathered pet eats the right food, it will long delight its owners with its singing and zest for life.