Despite the fact that wavy parrots do not produce such melodic and iridescent trills as, for example, kenars (male canaries), their vociferousness is more than enough. Moreover, your birdie can successfully copy some melody or sound of water and add them to your daily song.
The chirping of wavy parrots sometimes looks great like a passerine, but the polyphony and the ability to switch to different styles during bird chatter makes their songs very funny and interesting. Hearing the chirping of birds somewhere outside the window or on TV, the wavy ones gladly pick up and participate in the general cacophony of sounds.
Some owners specifically search the internet for chirping wavy parrots. Alone - in order to understand: this sound is pleasant to their ear and whether they will be able to endure a similar tone every day for more than ten years. Others consider it appropriate to keep the audio recording of the voices of birds included so that their feathered pet is not bored in the absence of the host.
The latter method is not the only way out. If you are away for a long time and often, then the best option would be to get a friend to your budgie. Even two birds will have a great time without you. Of course, you should still remind yourself at least sometimes (besides cleaning and feeding), so that the birds will not forget about your presence in their lives.
Trills of unfamiliar birds for a lone budgerigar can cause great stress and longing for fellows.
The behavior of the feathered during listening and after can surprise you greatly: instead of a calm and cheerful parrot, in its place will appear a nervous, tossing and calling for congeners a disheveled ball of feathers.
But not all wavy parrots react this way, some try to get as close as possible to the object of sound and begin to sing in unison with the flock and nod actively.
In any case, it’s only for you to decide: how to entertain a fidget and what exactly for your parrot will be useful and good for.
We will only provide you with options for listening to the chirping of the windmills:
- male singing:
Singing and screaming are entirely dependent on the wavy parrot's mood or desire to draw attention to itself.
So, in a half-dream or when they are calm, the birds make iridescent sounds, and when they are excited, they chirp and crack more, if they are frightened to “quack”. Parrots fill the pauses between their standard “conversations” with learned phrases or parody the sounds around them.
Wavy parrots are characterized by selectivity in the sounds that they make: they have loved ones and for certain occasions.
People chirping wavy can interfere or bother only if they are all day in the same room with them. Although for lovers who constantly have a bird in the house, this is not a problem: they don’t even notice this kind of noise, but if, after a long time talking to down, the owners live without a parrot, the silence begins to “crush” their ears.
At such moments, people realize that it is impossible to live without the cheerful murmur of the feathered pet and, after a while, the house is once again filled with the cheerful trills of the waves.
Description of wavy parrot
A stepped tail, growing to 10 cm, visually enlarges the bird, whose body usually reaches 17-23 cm, by about a third. The adult parrot weighs from 40 to 45 grams.
The dominant background of the plumage of birds living in the wild, emerald green, but the neck and head (front) are painted in bright yellow. On both sides of the throat are visible three neat black spots.
On the back of the head, on the back of the head and on the yellow back, dark waves descend, whose lines thicken when moving to the back. The younger the bird, the more blurred the pattern.
Modern varieties of "wavy", bred by breeders, have a varied motley color and even the absence of a clear wave-like pattern.
Strong curved beak, at the base of which there is a crown of nostrils, covered with a stratum corneum. Horny coating is also present at the tip of a thick short tongue.
The color of the ceres tells about the field of the parrot: in the adult male it is bright blue, in the young it is purple, in the adult female it is brown or blue, and in the young female it is blue.
The beak of a parrot is not the same as in other birds: it retains mobility due to the fact that the longer upper jaw is connected to the skull with a tendon. The dark beak is observed in chicks, and pale yellow, with a greenish tint, in adult parrots.
The beak of a budgie performs several important functions:
- With it, birds capture and carry objects.
- Used for crushing small branches, fruits, seeds and leaves.
- It is used for climbing trees, cage bars and an open-air cage.
- Sometimes serves as a defense weapon.
Tearing and gnawing the fruit and scrubbing the husks from the grains to the parrots are also helped by the horn teeth in the butt. These teeth also perform the role of a file, sharpening the anterior region of the mandible.
It is interesting! Male feathers, located on the forehead, glow when exposed to ultraviolet rays. The more intense the fluorescent glow, the more attractive the partner is for the female.
The legs of the parrot, consisting of 4 long bent toes, may be grayish-blue or pink. Two fingers are turned forward, and two - back, thanks to which birds perfectly climb trees and walk on a horizontal surface. Paw parrot captures and lifts the desired object, including food, and holds it next to the beak.
Habitat, wildlife habitat
Australia is not only the birthplace of wavy parrots (the most common parrot of the mainland), but also their main habitat.
Birds nest along the southwestern and eastern coasts (avoiding the northern territories with dense forests), as well as on the nearby islands, including Fr. Tasmania.
Looking for nesting areas, parrots stop their choice on steppe and semi-desert areas with rare trees.
In the north of the mainland, the breeding of “wavy” offspring does not depend on the season (only the rainy period is excluded), in the south it usually occurs in November-December.
Parrots live in flocks numbering from 20 to several hundred birds. Flocks fly from place to place, looking for food and water, sometimes stopping in the midst of green plains, where they eat grass seed.
Birds easily cover huge distances due to the high speed of flight, similar to the flight of a swallow.. When landing, the parrot bends its wings down like a quail.
Now the number of wild populations of budgies is significantly reduced. Ornithologists are convinced that these are consequences of human intervention in the landscape of Australia.
It is interesting! Aboriginal tribes that may have given the budgerigar the name “bedgerigas”, which translates as “suitable for food,” may also have been implicated in the process of descending birds.
Wavy parrot at home
To make your parrots cozy, place the cage on a dais (level with your height) in a well-lit place. Birds need a long light day: 10-12 hours in winter and 12-14 hours in summer. With the onset of late autumn, additional light sources must be activated. Do not put the cage on the windowsill, as the parrots easily catch cold.
The minimum size of the cage for the free flutter of the bird is 25 * 40 * 40 cm. If the bird is not one, the area of its housing increases. It is better to take a rectangular cage, to the flat top of which it is easier to fasten toys.
Read more read on our website: Parrot Cage
The bottom of the cage should be solid so that the claws do not get stuck between the twigs.
Comfortable cell for "wavy" looks like this:
- at least 2 horizontal poles,
- glass / porcelain drinkers (they are washed daily with hot water and soda),
- two feeders: one for grains, the second for soft food.
- baths with warm water (they are usually put in summer, cleaning after water procedures),
- if the bird lives alone, a mirror is hung to the “ceiling”.
Do not litter the bird "room" with trinkets: they accumulate fluff, dust and parasites.
Important! The purchased cage and accessories are immediately disinfected, for which they boil water and wipe dry.
Care and maintenance, hygiene
Moving to a new place of residence for the parrot will be stress, so for 2-3 weeks keep it quiet: exclude loud noises, heightened attention from children and pets. Talk to the bird benevolently, but do not take it in your hands: it will decide when you can trust you.
Before going to bed, cover the cage with a cloth, leaving the front wall open: this way the parrot will quickly calm down and will not chirp while everyone is asleep.
The sun contributes to the production of vitamin D in the body, so when the onset of heat, carry the cage with your pet to an open balcony, slightly shading it from the sheer sunlight.
Twice a year wavy parrot molts. At this time the bird does not fly. Try to disturb her less and feed with vitamins.
Despite the fact that the wavy drink little, access to water should be constant. It should not be boiled, but should be passed through the filter, occasionally adding lemon juice (a few drops). You can buy proven bottled water.
To make claw care easier, cages make wooden perches: if they are plastic, claws will not naturally grind off.
The cage is cleaned daily, and once a month they arrange general cleaning. A clean cage can be wiped with a decoction of chamomile / wormwood.
Food wavy parrot
It corresponds to the energy consumption of the bird. You can take ready-made mixtures consisting of oats, millet, canary, meadow herbs and sunflower seeds. Keep the factory product fresh, free of dyes and chemical additives.
Sometimes let's give a sprouting food: oats (Art. Spoon) are brewed with boiling water, filtering in half an hour. Such food spoils quickly, so the remains (after 1-2 hours) are thrown away.
If you are interested in the longevity of feathered, do not hold it only on cereal mixtures. In the diet should be entered:
- apple, pumpkin, plum, pear, mango, kiwi, strawberries, peaches, grated beets / carrots,
- lettuce leaves, dandelion, dill and spinach (in winter, ground dry nettles are added to food),
- washed twigs of willow and fruit trees,
- chopped cottage cheese and boiled eggs, flavored with grated carrots or beetroot,
- honey crackers and parrot sticks (carefully) so that the bird does not gain weight.
Fresh produce every day. Pouring grain mixture, rid of the scales yesterday's portion. Vitamin supplements are needed only when shedding, severe stress, illness and feeding chicks.
The list of prohibited products includes:
- raw potatoes and rhubarb,
- chocolate and alcohol
It is interesting! The budgerigar can be poisoned by indoor plants, including delphinium, diphenbachia, snowdrops, oleander, euphorbia, azalea, narcissus, amaralis bulbs, lily of the valley and asparagus berries.
For normal digestion, the parrot will need sand, which is bought at the pet store and poured to the bottom of the cage.
How many wavy parrots live
Rare specimens in nature fall short to 8 years: usually the life of parrots is half as long. Birds are dying from hunger, in the teeth of predators and from natural disasters.
It is natural that, against the background of their wild brethren, domestic wavy parrots look like Methuselahs, living up to 10-15 and even 20 years.
Parrot disease prevention
The most frequent diseases of the "wavy" are:
- common cold (symptoms - runny nose and sneezing),
- defeat by ticks and puffy eaters (signs — itch, self-plucking, death of newborn chicks, appearance of insects in the pan),
- internal parasites (symptoms - bad mood and appetite),
- delayed egg-laying in females (signs - the bird almost never leaves the bottom of the cage, it is difficult to breathe, there is a swelling near the cloaca).
Remember that females rush even in the absence of a male. A trapped egg can paralyze a bird’s foot and cause death. Put a little vaseline oil in the cloaca, put a warm cloth on the bottom of the cage, and a heating pad under the bottom. If the egg does not come out, go to the branch office.
They get rid of parasites by burying special preparations in the beak. Pukhoperoedy expelled Frontline spray, putting it on the back of the head (under the feathers), where the parrot does not reach with its beak.
Important! Ticks are destroyed with ointments (novertinovoy or aversectin), brushing with the brush beak, cep, legs and cloaca. Suitable and vegetable oil.
Cold birds are treated by irradiating several times a day with a desk, (not quartz!), 40-60 W lamp. They are given vitamins, chamomile decoction is placed at the bottom of the cell.
Budgies fully mature for breeding in 1-1.5 years. Param provide long light day, temperature, special diet and vitamins.
For mating in summer and autumn, birds need a nest box:
- With internal dimensions - the height is not more than 15 cm, the bottom is 25 * 15 cm.
- With a folding top to monitor the health of the brood and the purity of the box.
- With wood chips on the bottom.
- With a recess where the eggs are located.
- With a perch on which the female and her baby go down / rise.
Especially for chicks, food (with calcium powder, which is necessary for skeletal growth) is poured not into the feeder, but to the bottom of the nesting place.
As soon as they start eating on their own, put the children away from the mother, otherwise she will bite them. Clean the shell and dead chicks. To the female not exhausted frequent childbirth, do not let her give birth more than twice in a row. Just remove the nest box.
Where to buy, what to look for
It is better to buy a bird at the age of 1.5-4 months. The young parrot will get used to you and to a new habitat more quickly. It is less risky to purchase from a breeder, where you will see the conditions in which it contains birds. In the bird market, the chance to buy a healthy parrot is much less.
Look at the bird: in healthy plumage it shines and fits snugly to the body, the eyes are shiny and clean, on the paws - 4 fingers with even scales.
Important! Sick parrot nahohlen, barely moving and indifferent to what is happening. Its plumage is disheveled and dull, and traces of feces are visible near the cloaca.
Those who started the "wavy", do not regret their choice: compared to the lovebirds, they are less vociferous and not as traumatic as large parrots (with powerful beaks).
Difficulties arise with a balanced food: you can not keep parrots only on the grain. Such monotony leads to intestinal inflammation. The cabbage is also banned, which also provokes inflammation, enteritis and diarrhea.
Owners of parrots note the omnivorous pets, but advise new products to be introduced into the feed gradually, as well as to protect birds from drafts in every possible way.
What sounds are inherent in parrots?
The owners of these dogs are so accustomed to their pets that they can recognize them by singing mood and emotional state:
- If there are jerky, sharp sounds, it means that your bird is dissatisfied with something.
- If, apart from screaming, the parrot begins to flap its wings, then it either protests or panics.
- In a good mood, they are able to coo and sing melodiously.
- If the parrot wants the owner to pay attention to him, or wants to eat something, he starts singing.
Most often, a couple of parrots sings male. Begin to sing at the age of three or six months. If it is a talented bird, then wavy parrots can be heard at an earlier age. Girlfriend wavy parrot does not differ exquisite singing. Her songs are short, not as beautiful as her partner. Moreover, it is quite difficult to teach a parrot to sing. Yes, and they rarely speak.
Birds that do not have a pair, listen to the voice of the person and begin to repeat everything after him. If he has a company, then the singing will be varied, because the parrot will imitate.
All day long chirping, whistling, parrots sing from the appearance of the first rays of the sun will be heard. But every feathery has its own individual style of singing. Our pets can grunt, meow, coo gently.
Wavy parrots, as well as their feathered congeners, are excellent simulators. And not only the voice of a man and the sounds of animals are copied. They can sing the same way as musical instruments, household appliances. In a word, they listen to sounds and imitate them.
Active parrots sing when they start mating season. But pets living in the house, most often do not follow these rules, they can practice singing whenever they want. The hosts listen and are moved by the monologues or melodious songs of their feathered household members.
Teaching the parrot to imitate the human voice
Wavy parrots need to be taught to sing when they are very small. It is much more difficult for adults to teach singing, although such cases also occur. Birds can listen. It is best to start learning one parrot, since two are harder to learn. If you have two pets and one of them is already trained in singing or speaking, the training will be much more effective.
- Every day you need to deal with a pet on average one-third of an hour. In this case, the parrot will start to delight you in two months. A bird loves when it is given a lot of time, listens as you talk. В благодарность повторяет слова и звуки.
- На первых порах слова должны быть самыми простыми, в которых не более двух слогов. Птахи любят похвалу и стараются вовсю. Информация должна преподноситься с эмоциональной окраской, волнистые попугайчики, слушая ее, быстрее повторяют. When it comes time to learn phrases, they should be situationally appropriate to the place.
- If the parrot was in the room for the first time, and the place is not familiar to him, he can be silent for a long time. You should not demand the impossible from him, let him look around, get used to it. After adaptation, everything will return to normal.
- The best time to study is evening or morning. In the daytime your feathery pet will be given to sleep. Never make a parrot to do what he does not want. Sensitive birds such a rush can scare. It should be noted that these birds differ in rancor, if offended, then for a long time.
Songs are for budgerigars
Having learned to listen, your pet will open and close its eyes without much alarm. This the moment cannot be missed, at this time you need to start teaching the parrot to sing. To do this, turn on the player with a beautiful, melodic song. It is possible with songs and tweets of other birds. Select the music on your own.
- As soon as the first positive results appear, the parrot will quickly begin to gain experience, the teaching will go fast. After all, by nature, wavy parrots tend to talk and sing a lot.
- Do not stop at the achieved results, continue the course of study, talk to the pet, sing with it, listen to new music. In sleepy time, you can enjoy the singing of your feathered pet.
- Parrots sing especially beautifully in the evening. You can enjoy their performance and have a rest from everyday work. Your joy will not be the limit.
If you do not have a parrot, and you need to hear his singing, you can use the video and listen online while sitting in your apartment. You can listen not only to the budgies, but also how the macaw, the cockatoo, the jaco and other songbirds sing.
Wavy parrot - description, appearance and characteristics.
All the above names are absolutely true: wavy parrots are really very noisy and talkative, perfectly remember and imitate certain words and phrases that are repeated many times, often without much meaning.
The wavy parrot is a beautiful and slim bird, which due to its long tail looks much larger than it actually is. Body length wavy parrot without tail reaches 17-19.8 cm with a body weight of about 40-45 g. Poultry participating in exhibitions often have a body length of 21 to 23 cm.
Wings Wavy parrots from 9.5 to 10.5 cm long are used by birds exclusively for flight and are completely unsuitable for support when walking or sitting. The flight of the parrot is beautiful and arcuate, similar to the flight of a swallow, and when landing the wings of the bird bend to the bottom, like a quail. Thanks to this structure, the budgerigar flies quite rapidly and is able to cover significant distances in search of food.
Photo by: Jim Bendon
The budgie is quite long tail step-shaped, growing to 8-10 cm in length, and in young individuals the tail is much shorter.
Photo author: Richard.Fisher
Limbs feathered developed and tenacious, ending with 4 long fingers: 2 of them are directed backwards, 2 are looking forward. This design allows the birds to grab with their paws various objects, food, and also deftly climb trees and walk on the ground. At the end of the fingers grow strong bent claws of dark blue, black or almost white. The paws of the budgie can be painted a gray-blue, reddish, bright scarlet and pale pink tones.
Do parrots living in nature, eyes dark blue, and the color of the iris is yellowish or almost white. These birds are able to distinguish colors, and a fairly large viewing angle allows you to view 2 perspectives at once.
Budgerigar distinguishes strong beakprotected by a sturdy horny substance, and its curved shape resembles the beak of birds of prey. At the base of the wavy parrot's beak there is a well-marked articulation with nostrils. The bird's beak is quite mobile, the upper jaw is not jointed with the bones of the skull, but is held at the expense of the ligamentous apparatus, while the lower jaw is much shorter than the upper one. Due to the peculiar morphology, the beak of these birds serves as an excellent mechanism for cutting off and crushing the shoots, foliage and seeds of plants, and at the same time is a convenient tool for carrying objects, eating and climbing trees. In the event of an enemy attack, the wavy parrot's beak acts as a reliable subject of protection.
Wavy parrots have a small, short and thick tongue, and its rounded tip is protected by keratinized epithelium. In almost all individuals, the inner surface of the beak is equipped with special horn teeth, which play the role of a file, sharpening the beak, help to clean the grains, as well as tear and break fruit. The beak of chicks differs in dark color, but with age it becomes intense yellow, with a slight greenish tint.
Due to the natural color of grass green, wavy parrots are invisible to enemies against the backdrop of the natural landscape. Cheeks all individuals are decorated with symmetric purple markings of elongated shape, and below, on both sides of the goiter, are specks of black color - special signs inherent to all members of the species. As a rule, the marks partially overlap the throat spots.
Goiter and surface of the head in nature, wavy parrots are colored intense yellow, in the occipital region a thin and light dark brown wavy transitions to the back, where it becomes much wider and brighter against the general yellow background. In young parrots, waviness is not noticeable so much and starts right from the wax-stalk, and as they mature, it is replaced by the characteristic yellow mask.
Feathers The wavy parrot on the forehead of males have a unique feature: under the influence of ultraviolet they fluoresce, so that females in nature choose their partner for nesting. And the human eye can catch this radiation only at night, and budgerigars can see the glow even in daylight.
How to determine the sex of a wavy parrot?
Determining the sex of the bird does not cause difficulties. To find out the sex of the wavy parrot, you need to look at its wax flask, which is located at the base of the beak.
- Young males have a shade of purple hue; in a young female, it is intensely blue with a light border around the nostrils.
- Mature males have dark blue or lilac wax (in albino). An adult female can be distinguished by the beige-blue or brown color of the cinnamon. By the way, the brown color of the wax in females appears during nesting.
Left male, right female
Types of wavy parrots, photos and colors.
Today wavy parrot is considered the most common and favorite decorative bird for home keeping. For many years of breeding work, more than 200 varieties of these birds with a wide variety of feathering colors were bred, including recessive varieties that lack characteristic waviness.
Photo from budgerigar.com
The yellow color of the wavy parrot is the first mutational color and was obtained in Belgium in 1872, and subsequently all modern color variations appeared, based on a yellow or white base. Below are some varieties of parrots colors:
- Natural, traditional color wavy parrot plumage - light green (Light green color) with a glossy sheen that covers the breast, belly and lower back of the birds. The traditional mask is light yellow, the dots on the throat are black and purple markings are located on the cheeks. The head, wings and back of parrots are decorated with pronounced black waviness. The long tail feathers are dark blue, the bearing surface of the wings is painted black with a minimal light yellow edge.
Photo by: Jim Bendon
- Dark green wavy parrots (color Dark green) painted especially elegant, they appeared in France in 1915. The breast, abdomen and lower back of these parrots are dark green, the mask is light yellow in color, the points on the throat are black, slightly overlapped with purple zygomatic spots, and there is a characteristic waviness on the body. The wing feathering hue is identical to the classic variety, but the tail feathers are darker.
Photo by Althepal
- Olive Green wavy parrots (color Olive green) are descended from dark green individuals and were bred in France in 1919. The prevailing color of bird plumage is olive-green, the mask is bright yellow. Black waviness is contrasted on a yellow base. The wings of wavy parrots are black with green tint, feathers on the tail are darker than dark green specimens.
Author photo: Penubag
- Sky blue wavy parrot (color Skyblue) was bred by the Belgians in 1878. The breast, belly and bottom of the parrot are blue, and the bird mask is pure white. The characteristic waviness is clearly pronounced on a white base, the tail plumage is blue, the primary primary feathers are black with a minimal white edge.
- Cobalt wavy parrots (color Cobalt) were first demonstrated at the London exhibition in 1910. Their breast, abdomen, back and tail are distinguished in blue, the mask of the birds is pure white, the bright waviness is well pronounced on a white background. The color of the bud of a wavy parrot varies from black to blue. Steering feathers are darker than sky-blue parrots.
Photo by: Amos T Fairchild
- Lilac wavy parrots (Mauve color) appeared as a result of mixing 2 dark factors that give a deep lilac color without the presence of a gray tint.
- Gray green the budgie (color Gray Green) - the fruit of the works of Austrian breeders, which was obtained in 1935. The anterior, lower part of the body and the lower back of these birds are distinguished by a very light mustard or gray-greenish tone. The mask of the parrots is bright yellow, the spots on the throat are black, and the cheeks are gray, the clear waviness contrasts well with the yellow background. The tail plumage is colored black, the primary primary feathers of a parrot are black with a minimum light yellow edge.
Photo by: thomasrdotorg
- Gray budgerigars (Gray color) appeared in Austria and England at the same time, in 1943. The representatives of the variety of the breast, lower body, cheeks and lower back are gray in color, the mask is snow-white, the marks on the throat are black. The characteristic waviness is clearly marked on a white base, the tail is black, and the plumage of the wings is black or grayish.
- Violet wavy parrot (color Violet) first appeared in Germany in 1928. The breast, abdomen and lower back of the bird are distinguished by a deep purple color. The mask of the wavy parrot is snow-white, the throat markings are black, the tail is dark purple, the primary flight feathers are black with a minimal white edge.
- Yellow-faced budgerigars are of two types:
- The first type of one-factor suggests that the bird has a lemon-yellow mask, which rarely goes beyond the occipital region and on the chest. A lemon-yellow shade may cover the white tail feathers and other white areas of bird plumage. On the other feathers yellow shade does not apply. In two-factor birds, the yellow mask is absent.
- The second type of yellow-faced parrots also includes two varieties: one-factor and two-factor. Both have a yellow mask. At the same time, the yellow color extends not only to the white feathers of the budgie, but also to the main plumage of the bird, making it from light green to turquoise, from cobalt to dark green, from pinkish-purple to olive.
- Lyutiny (Lutino) is a very unusual species of budgies with bright yellow plumage color of egg yolk shade. These parrots have red eyes with a bright iris and zygomatic marks of pearlescent hue. The feathers of the tail and wings of the budgie are light. Males are distinguished by a pink or purple hue of a cinnamon; in females, a cinnamon is brown. The legs of the birds are red-brown or deep pink.
Left albino, right lutinos
- Albinos (Albino) were first obtained in Germany in 1932, and at once by two amateur breeders. Such parrots are distinguished by pure white feathers and red eyes with a white iris. Anemia and legs of albinos are the same as those of lutinos.
- Crested budgerigars are presented in a variety of color variations, but differ in the type of a tuft. Some individuals are decorated with a peaked crest of feathers growing on the forehead or on the crown. In others, the crest has the shape of a semicircle, formed by feathers that grow to the very beak with a peculiar shield. The third species of budgerigars is decorated with a double or round tuft growing from 2 points, while the feathers are arranged symmetrically and can form a tuft of various shapes and lengths.
Where do parrots live in nature?
Wavy parrots inhabit most of the territory of Australia, Tasmania and other nearby islands and are the most common and numerous species of Australian parrots.
Under natural conditions, budgerigars live in flocks from 2 tens to several hundred individuals and wander all their lives across the continent in search of food. Birds usually keep semi-desert and steppe landscapes with light forest, therefore they inhabit the entire eastern and western coasts, as well as the central part of the continent, with the exception of the northern regions with dense forests.
The composition of the pack of wavy parrots is constantly changing: some individuals fly away, others join, small groups can form giant flocks of up to a million individuals, which is an unforgettable beauty spectacle.
Photo by: Jim Bendon
The hot time of the day the birds usually wait in the shade, hiding on the branches in the dense foliage of the trees. At night, budgerigars sleep, and with the first rays of the sun gather in small flocks and go to the watering and feeding areas, located a few kilometers from the place of overnight stay. Some birds drink at the water's edge, others sink to the surface and quench their thirst on the fly. Often the company on the watering they make up the cockatoo and zebra finch.
Photo by: Jim Bendon
What do wavy parrots eat?
According to the observations of scientists, the basis of the diet of budgerigars in nature consists of the seeds of land plants, to a large extent these are the seeds of kangaroo grass. Due to human intervention in the natural biotopes of the birds are forced to rebuild their diet depending on changes in environmental conditions. Today, the main grain crop in Australia, grown everywhere, is wheat, but the grains of this grass for small birds are too large. In addition to grains, budgies eat young shoots and leaves of plants, various berries, vegetables and fruits, and occasionally feed on insects and other invertebrates.
Breeding wavy parrots.
Nesting parrots in their natural habitat occurs all year round: the northern part of the population begins to multiply immediately after the end of the rainy season, in the south nesting begins in November and December. Nesting pairs occupy hollows, stumps with crevices and any other hollow niches.
Author photo: Melopsittacus_undulatus
Author photo: Melopsittacus_undulatus
The mating games of budgerigars consist in various courtships, an important part of which consists of “kisses” and regurgitation of food by the male. Thus, he demonstrates to the female his ability to feed the future offspring. In the chosen place, practically without any litter, the female of the wavy parrot lays from 4 to 12 eggs of white color, their hatching lasts about 3 weeks. During the entire incubation period, the budgerigar male feeds the female, being nearby in a relentless search for food.
Photo by: PartOfNature
Parrots nestlings hatch from eggs bare and blind, weighing about 2 g, the mother heats the offspring, and both parents are feeding. 10 days after the birth, the chicks open their eyes, at the age of 1 month they fully feather and can leave their native nest, although some young individuals still keep around the nest for some time. At the age of 3 months, the grown-up individuals are already able to reproduce.
Author photo: Milan Kořínek
Breeding wavy parrots at home - quite time-consuming process. The male and the female, unlike most birds, should grow together and feel great sympathy for each other, and artificially created pairs, as a rule, do not give birth to several years.
Molt in wavy parrots.
Molting in wavy parrots is a completely normal and natural phenomenon that occurs twice a year. The first time a parrot changes feathers at about 3-3.5 months old. This molt lasts about two months, the subsequent molt lasts approximately one month. It is worth considering that during the molting the metabolism is accelerated, so the bird should receive a varied diet, and special vitaminized and mineral supplements for wavy parrots must be included in the diet. Take care that the pet has the opportunity to swim - during the molting period he does so with pleasure.
When molting a wavy parrot, first of all there is a change of down, and only later do feathers change. Такая особенность протекания процесса приводит к тому, что некоторое время попугайчик выглядит взлохмаченным и неопрятным, но переживать по данному поводу не стоит. Интересно, но смена маховых и рулевых перьев у волнистого попугая происходит попарно, одновременно на каждом крыле.
При линьке у волнистого попугая часто меняется поведение, он становится нервным, необщительным, порой даже агрессивным. Give your pet maximum attention: ventilate the room and slightly increase the humidity in the room, remove loose feathers and feathers from the cage, which can be quite a lot - the cleanliness of the dwelling at this time is very important for the parrot.
Pay attention: if a wavy parrot molts more than twice a year, additional and sudden molting can cause stress or pet disease. In such a case, immediately show the bird to a veterinarian.
How to teach talking wavy parrot?
The budgie speaks very well, it is fairly easy to learn how to imitate human speech and other sounds. However, to teach the wavy parrot to speak, you have to be patient, and classes should be conducted regularly. Start learning the conversation should only be when your pet is comfortable with the situation and will no longer be afraid of your approach to the cage. Therefore, in the first 7-10 days you should not be too persistent teacher.
It is believed that the male parrot speaks better, however, there are lovers among the females to talk. If you manage to teach the female, then the words she will pronounce much more clearly. As pupils it is better to choose birds whose age does not exceed 5 months: it is more difficult to teach an adult wavy parrot to talk. So, as soon as the emotional contact with the parrot is established, and you see that he has a desire to listen and communicate, choose the first word to memorize. Usually, it becomes the pet's nickname. Say it clearly and not too loudly, trying not to change the intonation. At the same time look at the parrot so that the bird understands that this appeal is addressed to his person. Look at the pet's reaction: first, he will try to make some sounds, a little later he will determine the “outlines” of the word, and in two or three months you will be able to hear this word completely. Classes should be held at the same time, giving them 10-20 minutes. Be sure to praise the budgie, indulge it with delicacies and most importantly - do not be lazy, because regularity is important in this process.
How to tame a wavy parrot?
Like any pet, the budgerigar is not immediately ready to make contact with its owner, so the feathered master will have to be patient and gain confidence in the bird. It is believed that the younger the parrot, the easier it is to tame it: wavy parrot breeders recommend purchasing a bird up to 4-5 months old. It will take only 3-4 weeks to tame it, if the owner does not hurry and force the process. If desired, and perseverance, it is possible to make a manual parrot as an adult, though it will take more time.
In the first days after the pet is in your house, you should not annoy him with your attention. Allow the bird to calm down, because she suffered at least a little, but the stress when moving to a new location. Budgerigar should look around, adapt to their surroundings. After a couple of days, you can give the bird the opportunity to leave the cage by opening its door. In this case, be sure to restrict access to the room of cats and dogs, close the vents, cover with mirrors cloth, about which the parrot with unaccustomed can be seriously injured.
In no case do not pull the wavy parrot out of the cage and do not force it there! Your hands should definitely associate the parrot with pleasant actions: stretch his favorite delicacy on his open palm, without making any sudden movements, gently and softly repeating the name of the parrot. The palms should not smell like pungent odors: this can repel and even frighten the wavy parrot. Let him feel completely safe next to you and, after a rather short period of time, the bird “will accept you into his flock”, will see in you a true friend and will become tame.
Diseases wavy parrots.
A healthy wavy parrot is always cheerful and cheerful, plays, sings, it has a bright plumage and an expressive look of brilliant eyes. If the parrot sits stifling, does not respond to others, sleeps a lot and refuses to eat and swim - these are alarming bells, signaling the owners that the pet is not feeling well. The most common diseases of budgies:
- cnemidocoptosis(itch mite) - wavy parrot disease, resulting in damage to the skin of the waxberry, beak, paws and cloaca. Parasites can get to your pet along with poor-quality feed, untreated cage accessories, or infected plant branches. Emerging growths of a gray-yellow color cause itching and terrible discomfort to the bird, and in particularly advanced cases, the disease leads to the death of the pet. For the treatment of wavy parrot, various veterinary preparations are used, which the ornithologist must select, and also carry out cell treatment with Neostomosan, Butoks or Ecocid C,
- puerculosis (mallophoz) - These are parasites that are transmitted to parrots from free birds, if the pet is carried in a cage to the garden or to the loggia. The sick parrot constantly itches, is nervous, does not sleep well and refuses to eat. If you carefully look at the pet's feathers, you can find small black lines - parasites up to 2 mm long, which scurry about in the plumage, feeding on feathers and epithelium. Ectoparasites are derived quite difficult, and the selection of an insecticidal drug should be consulted with the ornithologist. To prevent the infection of puffy eaters, it is necessary to clean the cage daily, wash the feeders and drinkers, carry out general cleaning every week, and offer only high-quality food to the wavy parrot. For the detection of a peroedal for the night, on a clean pallet, cells pour medicine chamomile and put a white sheet of paper on top. Some of the parasites from the body of the parrot will fall on the paper, and in the morning you will be able to detect them.
Author photo: Clemson University - USDA Cooperative Extension Slide Series