Breed Basenji exists for more than one millennium, and it was born in the countries of South Africa. In the early 20th century, it gained popularity in North America and European countries. And still representatives of this breed can be found in the royal houses of Europe.
The dog entered the Russian territory at the end of the 20th century. And the same hour fascinated dog lovers with the fact that instead of the traditional barking, dogs produce a special rumbling and then only when they are worried or annoyed. This factor allows you to get dogs, even people who are negatively related to dog barking.
Another surprising feature of Basenji is that the breed originated and developed independently, and the person never participated in its selection.
Description of dogs breed basenji
Being formed in nature, the dog has found smooth muscles for free movement and excellent coordination. The fur is rather short, thick, with a pronounced brilliance. It fits tightly to the body. There are six colors recognized:
- black combined with white
- brown with white
- red with white
- brindle (red wool with black stripes).
White wool at basenji - on the limbs, in the chest and tail.
There are two types of breed - flat dog and forest.
Plain plain. In the first case, the representatives of the breed are larger, the height at the withers is 40 cm, and the wool is brown with white. Plain dogs have a white "collar" that captures a little chest and looks similar to the "pants".
Forest Range. Forest pedigree individuals received an unusual name - “Pygmy dog” for their small height (below 40 cm at the withers). They are distinguished by darker eyes and coat color.
All Basenji have their own characteristics:
- Representatives of the breed have high legs, small head, ears are in a standing position and slightly tilted forward.
- The neck of the dog is high, strong, the chest is of medium width, the tail is curled into a ring.
- Nose in dogs narrowed with black lobe. The eyes are almond-shaped and dark iris. The look is very intelligent, understanding.
- The setting of the front paws of basenji is slightly turned inward. The animal moves quickly, taking wide steps, while its back remains straight.
In general, the dog looks elegant, with a certain amount of aristocracy. Among the external features can be noted the presence of folds on the forehead, which are strongly pronounced in puppy age.
Character dogs basenji
Dogs are vigorous and agile. Nature disposed of in such a way that all the individuals of this breed are by nature excellent hunters. Owners should take this into account, as in the race for prey, the dog may be so carried away that it will not hear commands. For a dog to be healthy, it must move a lot and intensively.
Pets are very attached to all family members, and not just to the one who feeds them. They perfectly coexist with other representatives of this breed.
Taking the family basenji dog into a family, a person acquires a devoted, intelligent friend, distinguished by fearlessness, and an excellent guard. Thanks to the playful and good-natured temper, this breed is recommended to acquire for families with children. But still the dog has its own character, and most likely it will not want to be a toy. Therefore, it is not recommended to leave the pet and the child alone for a long time.
The basenji are distinguished by a sharp mind and respond well to training. But because of their curiosity and quickness, they can get into unpleasant situations, therefore they require a firm hand.
Being formed under natural conditions, representatives of the breed acquired such a quality as independence. Hence, their disobedience and demanding constant employment. Leaving them for a long time without attention, you can expect all sorts of "surprises". The dog will not sit, and will find what to do.
There is a danger of losing a pet, so it is not recommended to lower it from the leash in unfamiliar terrain. After seeing the "prey", Basenji will pursue her, not reacting to external stimuli.
Despite the fact that dogs are not watchdogs, they have a unique flair, and will give a signal when strangers appear - standing in a rack and issuing a characteristic rumbling.
Features of dressure
The basenji are able to understand teams almost the first time, but approval and encouragement is very important for them. The best place for walking a dog is an open large playground away from transport. Here the restless and energetic animal will run until it throws out excess energy.
Breed dogs Basenji pictured
First of all, the owners must train the pet to respond to the nickname, at the first call to resort to the owner. It has already been noted that dogs are notable for their curiosity, and the spirit of the “breadwinner”, established by a century of history, has by no means died out, so they can pick up unfamiliar objects and food from the ground. It is important to wean them from this harmful and dangerous habit.
In the process of training it is strictly impossible to raise the voice on the dog and use force. The punishment for basenji will be the serious look of the owner and lack of praise. Dogs love to climb all the heights and settle down there for the night. In the house it is fraught with falling asleep in the master's bed, so from the puppy age you need to stop it.
How to care for basenji
Caring for a pet basenji breed does not require special procedures. You need to comb the wool regularly, but you can only wash it if it is necessary because the dog is afraid of water.
Representatives of the African breed are not too cold resistant, so for winter walks it is better to buy special clothes. Selection in the corners of the eyes are cleaned with a cotton swab, the auricle is cleaned with cotton swabs. Claws 1-2 times a month are eaten by a special nail file.
Like other dogs, Basenji requires regular use of anthelmintic drugs, timely vaccination, treatment of skin parasites, you can use a collar from fleas and ticks.
Among the diseases to which the tendency is noted in dogs of this breed, it is possible to note diseases of the kidneys, digestive organs, hernias. These pets can be kept in a residential environment, but with mandatory attention and care.
Basenji requires special nutrition. At the heart of the diet is raw meat of low-fat species. Bones are allowed to be given, but not more than once every 7 days. Among the permitted products, which are given to basenji in small quantities, it can be noted:
- buckwheat and rice without salt.
Dogs of this breed can be transferred to dry professional feed. It is forbidden to overfeed the pet, as pedigree representatives have a tendency to obesity.
Choosing a basenji puppy
If you want to have a dog basenji, it is recommended to acquire an animal in the nursery. Of course, you can save money by buying a pet on the market or from private sellers, but there are certain risks here - the dog may not be purebred or sick. If the appearance of a new member is waiting for children, then it makes sense to come to the bride with the whole family and solve the issue with the choice together.
It should be chosen from 2-month basenji puppies, since at this age their unusual temperament is clearly manifested. It is better to inspect all available litters.
If sellers offer to purchase monthly babies, this fact should be alerted. Professional breeders do not give puppies before one and a half months.
Among the main signs of health of the dog is the correct closure of the dentition (bite), ears, nose and eyes without secretions, clean, pink mouth.
The puppy must be active, not be too thin or fat. Clumsiness at basenji is a sign of ill health. The tip of the neat nose should be exactly black, and the eyes dark with shine.
If you have experience in dog breeding, then you can purchase an adult pet. But you have to make an effort to obey him. For future owners without experience it is better to choose a puppy with the most calm and docile temperament.
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
Before you start a pet of this breed, it is important to weigh the disadvantages and advantages. The positive qualities include the following:
- have the ability to learn
- very clean,
- have no smell
- get along with children
- very positive and active,
- don't bark.
But, as in every breed, there is a "fly in the ointment." The basenji are quite demanding in food, need constant attention, there is a risk that the dog will run away. They are quite capricious, and thanks to natural tricks they are able to manipulate the owners.
(African not dog, Congo-terrier, Congolese bush dog, forest dog from Congo, Nyam-Nyam-Terrier, Zande dog)
Breed dogs Basenji exist for several millennia. It was brought to Russia in the late 90s. It is also called the African not barking dog, because an interesting feature of this breed is that instead of barking during moments of anxiety, irritations of basenji produce rumbling sounds.
People who think to have a dog should pay attention to these animals. The breed was formed independently, without the intervention of man and science, and the more interesting it is to have a basenji as a companion.
it hunting breedwhose homeland is South Africa. Its development in natural conditions gave Basendzhi long smooth muscles, allowing you to move freely and coordinate movements well.
The coat is short, shiny, dense and adheres to the body. In the world recognized 6 colors:
- Black and white
- Red and white
- Black and white with burns (tan markings),
- The black,
- Brown white
- Brindle (red background, black stripes).
White color is present on the paws, chest and tip of the tail.
They are two: flat and forest.
The first one is larger, the size at the withers is about 40 cm, high legs, color is light brown with white. The plain basenji has a white “collar”, which enters the part of the chest, which has the form of “panties”.
The forest basenji is at the withers less than 40 cm, no wonder this species is called the Pygmy dog. Their eye color is darker than that of the plains, as is the color.
Breed description, its character
The basenjis have high legs, a head with erect, slightly inclined ears forward, a high neck, a narrow chest, a tucked up belly, and a tail twisted tightly in a ring. The nose of this breed of dogs is narrow, its tip is black. The eyes are dark, almond-shaped, the look is intelligent and expressive. Front paws directed slightly inward.
Basenji moves in wide steps, quickly, keeping the back straight. The overall appearance of the dogs is graceful, aristocratic. A characteristic feature of the appearance of these dogs are folds on the forehead, especially pronounced in puppies. Dogs of this breed live 10-12 years.
Varieties of color
From the beginning of the twentieth century, Basenji became popular in North America and Europe. Dogs of this breed live in many European royal houses. Interest in them they aroused thanks to sharp mind and easy temper.
Basenji energetic and mobile. They have a well-developed hunting instinct, so that after chasing the prey, the dog may not hear the owner’s commands. Nature has so conceived that in order to preserve their health they need to move a lot.
These dogs affectionate and affectionate, easy to get along in human and dog society, in the house you can keep more than one animal of this breed. The dog will adore not only the one who feeds it, but also other family members.
Devotional, fearless, intelligent, possessing excellent protective qualities are just some of the characteristics of this breed. Learn more about Italian Corso canoe in our article.
Rottweiler - one of the oldest breeds of dogs, which is often used as security guards for homes and apartments. Detailed characteristics of the breed read at this address.
Initially, the German Shepherd was used exclusively to protect livestock from predators. Now it is a watchman, a bloodhound, and a lifeguard. We will introduce you to this universal breed in this article.
With children, basenji easily find a common language, thanks to their playfulness, good nature and emotionality. But the pet will not allow the child to turn itself into a toy, so do not leave them alone unattended.
Smart and well-trained Basenji are very curious and smart, so they need a firm hand, otherwise they can get into trouble. They independent and not too obedient, they must be constantly occupied. Left to their own dogs, they can play around.
The Basenji is a hunting dog, not a guard dog, but when sensing a stranger, it will let know about it with its characteristic “smoking” and tense posture.
Independent and not very obedient
Features of training
Dogs of this breed well understand and execute commands, really need the approval of the owner. For walks with easy-going and restless basenji, it is better to choose a quiet space without cars, after which the dog will want to run.
It is important to teach the animal to respond to its name and approach the owner. The dog must also know that it is impossible to eat something from the ground. Otherwise, she may pay with health, and even life.
When training, in no case can you shout at your four-legged friend, much less beat. It is necessary to praise him for the performance of the command and distract from the pranks.
Basenji extremely mobile and will strive to climb higher and in the house and on the street. Therefore, taking a puppy, you should immediately forbid him to do it. Otherwise, the owner risks sleeping with the dog in the same bed.
Elegant, aristocratic look
Features of care and feeding
Basenji's short and dense wool needs regular combing. Do not wash the dog, it is afraid of water. For walking in extreme cold you can buy clothes.
Discharge from the eyes gently cleaned with a cotton pad, ears cleaned with a cotton swab, claws periodically file off. You should regularly treat a dog for fleas and ticks and buy a special collar for it.
For all their mobility and playfulness, Basenji can suffer diseases of the kidneys and digestion, as well as hernias.
In the conditions of the city, dogs of this breed feel great, but because of their activity they require constant attention and care.
How to feed basenji
Pets of this breed are demanding food. The basis of their food should be lean raw meat. Bones can be given once a week. In the diet of puppies, you must include cottage cheese and dairy products. In addition to meat permissible offal and some fish, unsalted buckwheat and rice porridge on the water.
Gradually, the dog can be translated into professional feed Hills, Royal Canin and others sold in pet stores. You can not give food from your table, especially fatty, spicy, smoked, sweet.
Despite their physical activity, when overeating basenji gaining excess weightso portions should be moderate.
Choosing a puppy
Those who are determined to become the owner of the Basenji take the puppy from the nursery. You should keep an eye on 8 week old puppies, choosing among all available litters. A real breeder will not give up a puppy before it is 1.5 months old.
When choosing a future owner should see:
- Correct bite puppy,
- Clean ears, eyes and nose baby,
- Pink maw.
The puppy should be quite active and moderately well-fed, but without clumsiness, with a black tip of the nose and dark shiny eyes.
Sometimes you can see the announcement of the sale of an adult dog. Such an animal is worth taking only experienced dog breeders who can accustom him to and subjugate. Those who will deal with basenji for the first time, it is better to choose from puppies the most peaceful.
These dogs have thick, braided wool. Hungarian guard dog breed commander can not be confused with anyone.
They are always looking for adventure, love and attention. Yorkies - their character is simply striking in its boldness and stubbornness.
Price for puppies
The cost of a puppy depends on many factors. Depending on puppy class prices vary:
- Show- class - from 30 thousand rubles. These future dog show winners have a pedigree and are allowed to breed,
- Brid- class - from 25 thousand rubles. Do not participate in exhibitions due to minor, imperceptible to the amateur dog breeder, deviations from the standard, but are suitable for breeding,
- Pet- class - from 15 thousand rubles. They have significant deviations from the standard, therefore they do not take part in exhibitions and are not allowed to reproduce. But healthy, as well as puppies of a higher class, have documents and can become good companions and darlings of a loving family dog.
Getting ready for a puppy in the house
Should determine in advance where the puppy will live, walk, who will care for him, bring up. If there are children in the family, it makes sense to come on the first date with the puppy with them.
To the appearance in the house of the baby basenji should have:
- Bowls for food and water. Better metal or ceramic, plastic, he gnaws,
- A rug or basket where the puppy will sleep. Count on it is an adult animal, they grow quickly,
- Toys from natural fur and lived. They should be without small details that the puppy can eat.
In addition, you should hide all the wires to which the puppy can reach. And you have to get used to remove clothes and shoes, food from the table.
Basenji puppies are curious and love to climb up, so have to обезопасить от них подоконники и мебель, в том числе во избежание травм при падении.
Сколько стоит щенок басенджи
Цена на щенков зависит от ряда факторов. As a rule, first of all, the class of the animal is taken into account:
- The starting price of a show-class puppy is 30,000 rubles. These are the future ring stars and show champions. They are equipped with pedigree, may be producers of offspring.
- The representative of the breed class is from 25,000 rubles. Can not participate in exhibitions, as it has minor defects in the exterior, not visible to the eyes of a dog lover. Suitable for the production of offspring.
- A puppy that belongs to the pet-class will cost at least 15,000 rubles. They have more pronounced deviations, therefore they are not suitable for exhibitions and breeding. But, like the rest of the puppies, healthy, have all the necessary documents.
Whatever class a puppy is purchased, it will definitely become the favorite of the family and will reciprocate its owners.
History of breed basenji
The birthplace of basenji is central Africa. The roots of the breed go far in the past. The Egyptians believed that this dog protects man from evil spirits. It is known that the puppy of this breed was considered an expensive gift and is presented to the pharaohs.
For the first time the description of the breed is found in the drawings and writings of the ancient Greeks. For all the time of its existence, the appearance of the dog has changed little. In England, the breed was brought in 1895. But the first dogs did not suffer the road and quickly died. In 1905, forest dogs were brought to the zoo of Germany. But the dogs were perceived as exotic animals and attributed to the family of African wolves. In 1930, this dog breed is distributed in England and in 1964 a specific standard for the African non-barking dog was drawn up.
The breed came to Russia and Ukraine at the end of 1990. A forest dog from Congo quickly settled down in Russia and Ukraine and began to be used as a companion.
Basenji dog belongs to the not timid breeds. Dog arrogant with a stable psyche. Suitable for people who are interested in outdoor walks and outdoor activities.
In the veins of the dog the blood of African wolves flows, this is manifested in every movement of the dog. A neat, flexible and dexterous pet is suitable for participating in a new sport - agility. The movements of the African dogless are smooth and swift. If you arrange the pins, then the pet will easily pass between them and will not drop a single one. In the Congo, this voiceless dog is valued as a hunting dog.
Breed knowingly was considered a living amulet for humans. Dog sensitive and monitors the mood of the owner. This behavior makes the dog indispensable for a lonely elderly person or as a friend for a teenager. The African not barking dog has a stable psyche and an adequate response to external stimuli.
Features of the breed in silence. The Egyptian Basenji does not bark, but it manifests its emotions in the form of a howl that looks more like a soft growl. There is a legend among the peoples of Africa that tells why Basenji do not bark. It says that in ancient times, dogs of this breed were able to speak. But once they overheard the secret of people and, in order not to reveal the secret, the pets chose to keep silence for centuries.
Characteristics of Basenji
Pluses and minuses of a pet are connected with the peculiarity of its character:
- The dog loves its owner, but from time to time it demonstrates its independence. This is manifested by shoots while walking. More often cables run away, bitches are more attached to the owner.
- The pet responds well to other animals in the house, but does not like rodents and birds. A small dog, too, can tear up, if you bring it into the house to an already adult Basenji.
- The African dog loves active games and with pleasure runs after the wand, catches the plate.
- Does not like dirt and water. During walks, he avoids puddles and often washes his paw like a cat.
- The dog is dominated by hunting instincts, and while walking the dog can chase a cat or a bird. During the imaginary hunt does not respond to the host team.
- Treat children well, and thanks to their dexterity and caution during games will not harm young children. But he will not allow himself to be dragged by the tail and wagged.
- Be wary of strangers, but will not be able to frighten an uninvited guest, as they do not bark, but hums and howls.
- Affectionate breed and loves attention, prefers to spend all his free time in an embrace with the owner.
- Likes to lie on a sofa or bed. Because of the hypoallergenic qualities, such liberties are allowed to an adult pet.
- Not suitable as a guard dog or bodyguard.
Care and maintenance of an Egyptian dog
Smooth-haired dog without undercoat is not suitable for street content. But the dog prefers space, so a private house with a small lawn is considered the best option for Basenji. The dog is small and may be kept in the apartment, but everyday walking is necessary.
Special care and maintenance of the breed does not require. It is enough to follow the general rules:
- Every six months, a dogless basenji dog washes with a special or baby shampoo.
- In the spring and autumn, the animal is treated from skin parasites and worms.
- After each walk, it is enough to wipe the paws with a damp cloth.
- In the house for the dog there is a separate place where the rug spreads. The animal's resting area should be in a dark, quiet place, away from drafts.
- The dog's claws cut it once every three weeks. In summertime, claws are trimmed less frequently, as they grind down on asphalt and concrete.
- Remediation of the ears and eyes is performed once a week. For cleaning use special antiseptics.
- In winter, animal pads are often cut on ice and crust. After walking, the paws are inspected, and when cuts are detected, they are treated with hydrogen peroxide and fucorcin.
The oldest African breed has good immunity, but genetically the pet has a predisposition to the following pathologies:
- Kidney disease - Fanconi syndrome. The disease is poorly diagnosed at an early stage and is manifested in the already severe form. Usually manifested in older dogs after 7 years.
- Nutrient Absorption Reduction - Malabsorption. Pathology is associated with poor performance of the small intestine. Developed on the background of food allergies.
- Hernia. The umbilical form of a hernia is more common. Manifested in the form of a bulge in the abdomen. If the lump darkens and becomes red, then immediate surgical intervention is required.
Viral and bacterial diseases, the pet of an ancient breed is rarely sick. As a preventive measure, puppies are vaccinated against parainfluenza, enteritis, hepatitis, and distemper before teeth change.
Training an African bush terrier
African me-me-me-terrier well gives in to training. But the puppy from six months begins to check the owner for hardness and will try to dominate. It is necessary to show firmness, but not to punish the puppy.
The first training starts immediately after the appearance of the pet in the house. From the first days you need to teach your puppy to respond to the nickname. It is important that the name is sonorous and short. So the pet is easier to remember it and will begin to respond. While feeding or playing, you must stroke the puppy and utter a nickname loudly and clearly. When the dog starts to react, it is worth praising.
Until year, the dog learns basic commands: sit, lie down, walk, fu, to me, next. Training will be easier if you enroll in a specialized group to an experienced dog handler.
You can not punish the puppy and beat him for disobedience. This will cause a backlash, and the animal will begin to fear the owner.
It will be useful:
A dog with a penchant for food allergies is contained on specialized feed. Fit stamps: Magnusson Naturliga (Original), Pronature Life Chill, Pronature Life Fit, Adult Maintenance, Royal Farm.
How to feed a pet depends on the capabilities of the owner. And it is not always possible to use dry food every day. Basenji may be contained on natural food. The diet of an adult dog should include foods:
- kefir, cottage cheese,
- lean meats,
- cereals: corn, buckwheat, rice,
- vegetables and fruits.
The puppies break away from the bough of the bitch gradually at the age of 1-1.5 months. At the initial stage, the puppy should be fed 5-6 times a day. The basis of the diet is liquid porridge on antiallergenic infant formula. By 3 months, meat broths and dairy products are added to the diet. The number of feedings is reduced to four times. By 6–7 months, the dog is transferred to three meals a day. By 8 months the number of servings is reduced to two.
Vitamins are given daily to dogs on natural food: Farmavit Neo, 8 In 1 Excel Daily Multi-Vitamin, VEDA, Biorhythm.
In the photo black and white basenji. The black color of the dog prevails, the color is bright and rather rare.
The most common color is fire red with white. The dog is more like a little fox.
The tiger dog looks unusual and is considered one of the most attractive.
Owner reviews are mainly related to the character and activity of the dog:
Konstantin: “The Basenji is one of the most active and at the same time affectionate rocks. The character of a dog resembles a terrier, but more appeasable. During training, the dog shows obstinacy and not every beginning dog breeder can cope with raising a puppy. ”
Olga: “The African dog does not bark at all. The dog shows its emotions with funny rumbling sounds that resemble howling or whining. This is a big minus, as the dog can not be used as a bell. "
Eugene: “A funny and small dog is very affectionate and loves children. He enjoys playing romps and does not bark. Animal hair is hypoallergenic and does not smell. ”
Puppies of this breed are not very popular in Russia and Ukraine, but pedigree puppies can be purchased in several kennels. How much a puppy costs depends on the elitism of the parents and the prevalence of the breed in a given locality. On the market, puppies of this dog do not sell.
The average price in Russia is from 25,000 rubles, in Ukraine from 14,700 UAH.
From the history of the breed
Basenji dogs) still live in the villages of the countries of Central Africa: the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Liberia, Sudan, the Republic of Benin, Tanzania, Gabon, Uganda, Zambia.
Depending on the place, the breed is called differently: “gift of the gods”, “creature from the undergrowth”, forest dog, “dog jumping up and down”, African silence, Zande dog, Azande dog, nyam-nyam-terrier.
Researchers of the breed estimate its age from five to eight thousand years. It is reliably known that dogs were presented as gifts to the pharaohs as a live amulet, giving joy, protecting from magic and witchcraft.
Egyptologists suggest that they were part of the cult of the god Ra. Images of dogs that look very similar to Basenji are often found on bas-reliefs in the burials of Pharaohs, on household and religious utensils. Several statuettes and even embalmed basenji bodies were found. One of the mummies was found in the legs of an ancient Nubian woman (Kerm site of ancient settlement), the others in the tomb of Pharaoh V of the dynasty (2504–2347 BC).
Basendji breed and dog breeds
The first basenji, under the name of "Pharaoh dog", were brought to Europe by the British in 1895. Not knowing the characteristics of the breed and the contents of the first owners have not kept pets. All dogs died from viral disease.
In the 30s they reappeared in England, where the breed standard was drawn up and approved. From England, the dog breed "Congo Terrier", "jungle dogs" in 1941 hit the United States. The breeders became interested in the ancient breed and the breed began to spread throughout the world.
Officially, the breed was registered in 1988 by the International Canine Federation (FCI) and assigned to the spitz and primitive species (group 5), 6 sections (primitive types), No. 43, without a working test.
In Russia, Basenji appeared in 1997. Currently, active breeding work is underway. Opened several nurseries in Moscow and Moscow region, St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Smolensk, Vladivostok.
Important. The official name of the breed - "Basenji", in its essence, is an abbreviation of the name of these dogs in the Lingala tribe - "m’ba na basenji" ("dog of the inhabitants of bushes"). It was invented by Miss O. Bern, the owner of a dog that participated in the first American show.
Until now, African tribes use Basenji to hunt reed rats, flying and waterfowl. In pursuit of prey, African dogs are able to jump high and climb trees. The basenjies, with bells put on around their necks, are driving a small game in the net.Stay hunt antelopes.
In France, with basenji hunt hares. The dogs have time to catch up and keep the prey until the arrival of the hunter.
In the registry of the World Canine Federation, the appointment of Basenji is designated as a companion dog and hunter.
In Russia, Basenji perform the role of companions. Attracts exoticism, ancient history, "natural" origin, compact size. For many, the lack of undercoat, short-haired and hypoallergenic dogs is important. At basenji preserved hunting quality - the lack of smell.
One of the characteristic features of the breed is the inability to bark. African non-barking dogs or African silence make a rumbling, “roaring” sounds, sounds like a stifled laugh, a howl.
According to the legend, at the time when the animals were still able to talk, the dog heard the secret secret of its owner and in order not to let it slip, the Basenji and his tribesmen swore an oath and fell silent forever.
Most likely, the silence of African dogs is the result of natural selection. Silence and noiselessness is the main condition for a successful hunt.
Basenji breed standards and appearance
Basenji not spoiled by artificial selection. They are hunters, so they have well-developed muscles, a light graceful physique.
This breed is not spoiled by selection.
The official standard gives the following description:
- Ideal weight for a bitch, 9.5 kg (21 pounds) is considered, height - 40 cm (16 inches) at the withers. Dogs weigh 10-11 kg (23-24 pounds), growing at the withers 43 cm (17 inches).
- Housing well balanced, strong, but not overweight. The back is short, straight, flat. The chest is round, wide, with convex ribs. The chest is deep, smoothly turning into a lean belly. The loin is short. The muscles and bones are strong and strong.
- Head flat, graceful. The skull is of medium width, tapering evenly towards the nose, slightly longer than the muzzle, with flat cheekbones, smooth from the forehead to the nose bridge. A characteristic feature of the breed is thin, not loose wrinkles on the forehead, on the sides of the head, on the cheeks, running along anatomical lines. Adult dogs are less noticeable than puppies.
- Ears standing, spiky, with a slight inclination forward, of medium size.
- The eyes are dark (brown), expressive, almond-shaped, slightly slanting. The eyelids are dark.
- Nose black narrow
- Jaws strong, well developed. The cutters are smooth, in the line. Full bite, perfect. The front surface of the lower incisors is tightly closed with the upper incisors (scissor bite). The jaw arrangement of the teeth is vertical.
- Neck high, strong, with a slight bend, of medium length, extending to the body. The neck is convex.
- High set tail, necessarily with one or two rings, pressed against the body. The croup is raised high, stands for the base of the tail.
- Limbs long, tall, muscular. The forelimbs have oblique muscular shoulder blades. The forearms are long, graceful. According to the standard, the elbows should be turned strictly back, without turning to the outside or inside. Pasterns flexible, elongated. Hind limbs with low drooped, not close together hock. Hock joints should not be turned out. The knees are moderately pronounced. The legs are elongated.
- Paws small, narrow, oval. Front legs slightly oriented inward. Fingers are arched. The pads are coarse, fleshy. Claws are short.
- Wool Basenji has a short, shiny, tight-fitting to the body, without undercoat.
- In males two developed testicles fully immersed in the scrotum.
- Sweeping movements, energetic, rhythmic. The back when moving smooth, straight.
- Character easy, very energetic, dedicated, responsive to affection. Developed intelligence.
Nature of basenji
The basenji can be described as intelligent and independent, but at the same time affectionate and vigilant. As the breed is close to hounds, this means that it will pursue everything that moves - cats, rodents, squirrels. This is not the breed that instantly executes commands. She should think and decide whether she really wants to do what you asked.
Sense of humor and patience are of great importance for people holding Basenji. This dog will taste everything that is within its reach. And even more, she is able to develop a plan for reaching the places she especially liked, be it a kitchen or a pantry, where a treat for your pet is stored.
Basenjis usually eschew strangers. And she also should not trust cats and other small pets, unless she has grown up with them and recognizes them as members of your family. This, however, does not apply to cats and small animals outside.
The basenjis need early socialization and training. Like many breeds, they can become timid if they were not properly socialized. Give your dog the opportunity to meet as many different people, places, sounds, smells and situations as possible. Правильная социализация является самым первым и необходимым шагом для построения хорошо сбалансированной собаки.
Запишите вашего молодого басенджи на курсы для щенков, это будет для него отличным времяпрепровождением. Invite guests to yourself regularly, do not be afraid to take a puppy to lively parks, to events and to shops where entry with dogs is allowed. All this, as well as systematic walks, in which the puppy will be able to meet other dogs and people, will polish his social skills.
When learning it is important to remember about consistency and goodwill. Basenji, if you use hard ways of learning, can become even more stubborn and less ready for your instructions. During workouts, use positive reinforcement, including delicacy and praise. The best way to train these dogs is to keep it interesting. The basenji are much better trained in voice commands, if there is something very exciting that you should pay attention to.
Diseases and health
Most of the Basenji can boast of excellent health, which confirms their relatively long life expectancy from 12 to 16 years. However, like many breeds, they are prone to certain diseases and disorders. Of course, not all Basenji develop these diseases, but if you are considering this breed, you should be aware of them.
- Fanconi syndrome is a rare kidney disease that affects the function of the kidney tubules, which leads to the appearance of sugars and proteins in urine. Symptoms of the disease include intense thirst, frequent urination, and elevated glucose levels in urine. Fanconi syndrome in Basenji is usually diagnosed from 4 to 7 years. Previously, the syndrome was considered fatal, but today there are successful methods of maintenance therapy and a significant increase in the life expectancy of the dog. However, treatment is usually relatively expensive.
- Hypothyroidism is a disease caused by a deficiency of thyroid hormones, which can lead to symptoms such as infertility, obesity, lack of activity and weakness. The dog's coat may become brittle and will fall out, and the skin may become stiff and dark. The disease can be successfully controlled by daily medication. Drug treatment should continue throughout the dog's life.
- Hemolytic anemia is a severe hereditary disease in which Basenji has 2 defective genes for the production of pyruvate kinase, an enzyme necessary for maintaining red blood cells. Basenji with this disease live, as a rule, no more than 1-2 years.
- Persistent pupillary membrane - a disease when the front of the eye is filled with primitive embryonic tissue. Usually, the tissue disappears by 2-4 weeks after the puppy is born, but sometimes it persists. This disease is painless and rarely leads to a decrease in vision, except in cases where the tissue leads to significant corneal opacities. Treatment of the pupillary membrane, as a rule, is not required, but in case of visual impairment both medicinal and surgical treatments are used.
- Coloboma is a term used to describe the absence of a part of the eye. Pathology is usually the result of abnormal intrauterine development. Coloboma is also considered a hereditary disease. Perhaps drug and surgical treatment.
- Progressive retinal atrophy is a general term for describing eye diseases that lead to a gradual deterioration of the retina. The first signs are usually a dog's blindness in the dark. As it progresses, vision also decreases during the daytime. Many dogs adapt well to limited or even complete loss of vision if their environment remains the same. Experienced breeders do not use dogs with this defect for breeding.
- Hip dysplasia is a hereditary and acquired disease when the joint does not develop correctly, with some degree of deformity. Some dogs experience pain and lameness on one or both hind legs, but some do not experience any serious signs of discomfort. However, the disease often leads to the development of arthritis as the dog ages. Dogs with dysplasia should not be used for breeding. Therefore, if you buy a puppy, ask the breeder for proof that his parents have been tested for joint dysplasia.
- Umbilical hernia is quite common in dogs. Many dogs live with small hernia all their life and do not experience any discomfort. However, if the hernia is large, the dog will need surgery, which often happens when the dog is sterilized or castrated.
Maintenance and care
The Basenji is a hunting breed and needs daily walks and physical exercise. Some of these dogs are well satisfied with simple daily walks, while others require more intense training.
If you think that leaving Basenji in the yard, she can occupy herself, then you should know more about the breed. This is not a dog that can be left unattended. These are very smart and nimble dogs that can climb almost on trees, so a basenji left unattended will soon become a lost basenji. Nevertheless, if you can provide a dog with at least a couple of walks of 30 minutes each day, then it is well suited, including for an apartment.
If you are outdoors, always keep Basenji on a leash. In case you want to leave the dog in a securely fenced area, then check the fence for resistance to stamina. Do not count on any fence when it comes to confined space. She can use a variety of parts, like a ladder, for example, chain links.
Another unusual feature of Basenji is her dislike for rain. If it’s wet outside, you shouldn’t expect the dog to be happy, rather it will be grumpy and dissatisfied. The only situation where she might like the rain is probably a very hot day. In addition, because of the thin wool, they do not tolerate low temperatures, so they will need a jacket or overalls.
Children and other animals
With their energetic character, the basenji can be good companions for older children, but for younger children, they will not be suitable pets. If there are children in the family, it will be better for the dog to grow up with them from puppyhood.
Teach children how to approach and handle dogs, and always monitor any activity of dogs and small children. Teach your child how to interact with a dog when he is sleeping or eating. No dog should be left unattended with a child.
The Basenji should not trust a house with cats or other small animals, unless it has grown with them. In addition, she must learn to recognize them as family members.
- The basenjis barely bark, they can be quite noisy, emiting a variety of sounds, like howling.
- Basenzhi cleanly and almost no smell.
- They are difficult to train. For thousands of years, the Basenjies lived alongside people, while being their independent companions. They may not see the need to obey people.
- The basenjis respond best to positive reinforcement methods, but even then they will choose whether to obey you or not.
- This breed should not be allowed without a leash, as it has a strong hunting instinct.
- The basenji can escape even from a well-fenced territory.
- The breed has an enormous amount of energy. If you cannot burn at least a part of it, then it can become destructive.
- They do not get along well with other small pets. They can get along with the cat if they grew up with her and recognize her as a member of the family.
- The basenji is stubborn, and you can get a fairly aggressive dog if you try to overcome its stubbornness with the help of force.
- They do not tolerate negative temperatures, so they need warm clothes and warm indoor space.
The cost of basenji puppies with a pedigree varies on average from 30,000 to 50,000 rubles per dog. The price of puppies without pedigree begins, as a rule, from 10,000 rubles.
Some nurseries where this breed is bred:
- http://tan-basenji.ru - in Moscow
- http://iturypuzzle.ru - in Moscow
- http: // Africanist- molchun.rf - in St. Petersburg
- http://basenji.io.ua/ - in Kiev
- http://www.enigmatic.by/ - in Minsk