- Height - from 70 cm.
- Weight - from 50 kg.
- Height - from 65 cm.
- Weight - from 40 kg.
- Without class - about 10 - 15 thousand rubles.
- PET class - 20 - 25 thousand rubles.
- BRID class –25 - 35 thousand rubles.
- SHOW-class - up to 45 thousand rubles.
Life expectancy is from 12 to 15 years.
What is the attitude of other pets and dogs for a walk?
Due to the fact that for several thousand years Alabai protected his territory from wolves, he is extremely hostile to dogs. While walking, the Central Asian Shepherd Dog can easily break a dog walking nearby. He has few equals in a fight, therefore one should take a very responsible attitude towards the education of a dog and from the very young age to teach him to unquestioning obedience.
On the other hand, the breed is completely loyal to the puppies and the host animals (even cats). Moreover, Alabai will protect pets on its territory.
Is it possible to keep in the yard on the chain?
A proud dog with an independent disposition will not tolerate such humiliating content. On the chain, the shepherd will be in a constant state of stress, tension and at the same time boredom. At the same time, such content in the most negative way affects the health of the dog: muscles weaken, diseases of the musculoskeletal system develop.
The best option would be a spacious pet enclosure. In any case, alabai requires walking and constant communication with the owner.
Let's talk about the formation of the modern Central Asian Shepherd as a breed. The Central Asian Shepherd Dogs were described as early as 1939 by A. P. Mazozer at the All-Union official dog show. These same dogs were referred to as Turkmen Shepherds. Obviously, this is due to the fact that the animals were brought from Turkmenistan. Since 1938, all representatives of the breed received the official name - Central Asian Shepherd Dogs.
But such a decision creates some difficulties. First, it is not recognized by the locals. Secondly, when entering the international arena, such a name is not entirely successful, since the concept of "Central Asia" does not exist abroad. And the word "shepherd" does not apply to these dogs. This concept comes from the words "sheepdog", "sheep" and implies dogs that herd sheep. However, these dogs do not belong to the group of shepherds, as their function is to protect the herd. Turkmen themselves call them Alabai.
And in 1927, Professor N. Bogolyubsky, when describing dogs of Turkmenistan, located in the territory from the Caspian Sea to the Amu Darya River, called them wolfhounds.
In 1990, in the Turkmen SSR, the standard of the Turkmen Alabai, a descendant of the ancient dog-shaped, was approved. In appearance, the Central Asian Shepherd Dog can be traced much in common with the Tibetan mastiff.
Alabai not for nothing called one of the oldest breeds. During the excavations of the Altyn-Depe settlement in Southern Turkmenistan (2300-1900 BC), the bones of large dogs with a powerful jaw and a short muzzle and a terracotta figurine depicting a dog very similar to the Alaby were found. It is interesting that already in these ancient times the tails and ears of dogs were stopped.
N. M. Yermolova, a paleontologist, a specialist on the fauna of Altyn-Depe and a breeder of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog, believes that in those times alabai protected the herds belonging to local residents from predators.
Alabai is a powerful beautiful dog that attracts attention. The height of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog should be from 65 to 78 cm for a dog and from 60 to 69 cm for a female. Representatives of the breed must be not only tall, but also powerful. The weight of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is in the following range: male - from 55 to 79 kg, female - from 40 to 65 kg.
Alabai can be white, black, black and tan, gray, brown, red, fawn, brindle, piebald, speckled, tricolor. But chocolate, blue and liver are not allowed. Wool hard, coarse. The undercoat is thick.
Powerful body, neck short. Wide and deep chest. The head is large, massive, but proportional to the overall build. The forehead is flat, slightly rounded. Muzzle shortened and dull. The nose is black. Light allowed with white and pale yellow color. The paws are large, the tail is thick and set high. Usually tails stop, but uncropped are allowed. Ears are small, drooping, low. Most often they stop.
How clever is the Central Asian Shepherd Dog? The level of intellectual development of these dogs is comparable to the level of a two or three year old child. But there is a peculiarity in their character that can create a wrong impression about mental abilities - alabai are slow and think for a long time.
Despite the first impression, the Central Asian Shepherd Dogs are not at all stupid. Alabai surpass many of its close relatives, in particular Caucasian Shepherd Dogs, intellectually. They are guided, rather, by reason than by instincts. But this same feature can cause some problems with obedience and submission - the dog is not only inclined to independent decision, she also thinks about the owner's commands and can refuse to fulfill stupid and empty requirements.
What is the Central Asian Shepherd? The characterization of the breed says that it is characterized by a calm and balanced character, is undefended and reluctant to show aggression, preferring to express its discontent with a menacing look and warning barking.
Is the Central Asian Shepherd Dog aggressive? The characteristic of the breed suggests that the “Asian” in general can be called a peace-loving dog, in normal it does not show aggression just like that, and if the borders of the territory are violated, someone claims to be in the hierarchy, family members are in danger. Another cause of aggression can be pain - alabai are not well tolerated.
The transformation from a stolid calm animal into an angry bear happens instantly. "Asians" can be assertive and dangerous opponents. Such an abrupt change often takes the enemy off guard.
Alabai has a strong protective instinct, fearless, self-confident.
Does it matter what sex a Central Asian Shepherd Dog? Characteristics of the breed suggests that sexual dimorphism is expressed in Alabai not only in appearance. Bitches are usually active and sociable, but males are calm and even phlegmatic.
Description and characteristics of the breed
Despite the fact that Alabai is an ancient breed, it has survived to its present day in its original form. The dog is gigantic in size and boasts an innate guardian instinct. To raise a truly wise dog, you need a special approach in his education. Therefore, if you decide to stop the choice on this breed, make sure that you have enough physical strength.
The Central Asian Shepherd Dog is not an easy character. They have pride, courage, self-confidence, and sometimes they even try to demonstrate their independence. Alabai are able to make independent decisions, which indicates a high level of intellectual development. In this regard, the pet will perform only those commands that in his opinion are necessary. To grow an intelligent and docile dog, you need a lot of strength and patience.
History of origin
The history of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog has more than 4 thousand years. The true origin of the dog, unfortunately, is unknown, but it is considered to be considered the forefather of the Tibetan mastiff. In the modern world Alabai are found in Russia, Iran and Afghanistan. In addition, they are valued in Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan. Outside Central Asia, the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is extremely rare.
For many centuries, the shepherd was a reliable guard and protector of nomadic shepherds and their herds. Similar dogs accompanied the Mongols when they invaded Europe and most likely made a significant contribution to the formation of European dog breeds.
Many wonder how long the Alabai live? On average, life expectancy is up to 12-14 years. But most of the individuals live to 10 years, after which it dies. The reason for this phenomenon is the wrong veterinary care and lifestyle.
How sociable is the Central Asian Shepherd Dog? Reviews show that alabai is friendly to family members and other pets. They get along well with children, but they should immediately explain to the child that if he hurts the dog, the friendship will end quickly. Still, Alabai is quite playful and can be a good companion and protector for the baby.
As for extraneous people and animals, the Alabai are indifferent to them, but exactly as long as they do not contact and do not violate territorial boundaries. Alabai instantly alert and may show aggression towards a stranger. They don’t tolerate drunks and can show aggression towards other dogs.
The social intratribal instinct is very developed in Central Asian shepherd dogs. They quickly form a pack, take their places on the hierarchy and rarely fight for leadership. Training and socialization should start at an early age.
What are the features of care for the Central Asian Shepherd? In the room where the dog lives, you need to keep clean. The floor should be wiped daily, the lounger vacuumed and weekly washed. Do not allow the dog to sleep on upholstered furniture and mattresses. As a litter you need to use a rug under which you can put a soft litter, but not a thick mattress.
The place where the dog sleeps should be located away from windows and batteries to avoid drafts, hypothermia, overheating. It is best to choose a quiet area, not near the doors and passages, where the dog can rest easy.
Keep the Central Asian Shepherd in the apartment is not recommended. However, the recommendation cannot be considered a direct ban, but in the case of housing maintenance, the dog should be walked twice a day for at least two hours in total. An animal needs to move a lot, and in an apartment with an abundance of furniture and fragile things it will not be possible to run.
Equally important in the care of a dog - taking care of its wool. It is necessary to clean it daily with a special mitten or a brush with coarse bristles.
In addition, it is required to inspect and clean the mouth, ears and eyes of the animal with a cotton swab every day. Cotton swabs for dog care are not used - they can easily cause injury, which will eventually lead to deafness.
But wash the animal often do not need. The procedure is carried out as needed, preferably no more than once a month, using high-quality hair care products. After washing, the wool must be dried well to avoid hypothermia, especially during the cold season. You can use a hair dryer.
For the established standards, the following appearance characteristics are characteristic:
- The head is rather large, even wide, has well-developed cheekbones, the transition from the muzzle to the forehead is poorly developed.
- Muzzle - voluminous. Ears are medium, triangular, in most cases cropped. The shape of the eyes is round, the size is small, the look is stern. Nose large, round shape. The jaws are powerful, consist of 42 teeth, the bite is straight or scissor-like.
- Strong muscular neck.
- The skin - thick and elastic, may form folds.
- The back is wide, has well-developed muscles.
- Chest - as wide, planted deep.
- The tail is located high, has the form of a ring or sickle. Docked.
- Smooth gait.
- Wool length from 3 to 10 centimeters. Ears can form in the area of the ears, tail and hind legs.
- Color any, except brown and blue.
- Homeland - Central Asia.
Stopping the ears and tails of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is an optional, but desirable procedure.
The hair of the animal to the touch is rather rough and tough. There are several types of shepherd, which differ in the length of the coat. All individuals have a dense undercoat. Males grow to 70 centimeters, bitches 5-7 cm less. Shepherd's weight ranges from 40 to 80 kilograms.
Purpose and nature of the Central Asian Shepherd
Alabai were always friends of shepherds. Their distinguishing qualities are unpretentiousness, endurance, excellent mind and affection. All this combines with leisure and self-reliance. A greater number of qualities were formed over several thousand years, and today they are transmitted at the genetic level.
Shepherd weakness - kids. Adult individuals treat babies with particular trepidation, guarding and protecting them in all sorts of ways. They can even take out fights or prevent injuries. Juveniles behave a little differently; they consider themselves to be at the level with children and try to take part in raising or clarifying relationships. At this age, the pet needs to constantly look and direct its behavior in the right direction.
Alabay perfectly know the territory entrusted to them. They almost never enter the territory of other packs, faithfully guarding their master, his family members and their puppies. Dogs are not pursuing large areas.
Historically, the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is a gregarious animal. That is why the dog feels as comfortable as possible if he has a companion. The ideal option is an older male and a younger bitch. They will never clash. In addition, sexes of different sizes get along well of Alabai. Smaller in height can be both females and males.
Sheepdogs get along well with master cats. But if a neighboring animal wanders into their territory, it can be destroyed without warning. If the pet is raised on a farm from the very early age, it will become a reliable guard of the animals entrusted to it.
Description and characteristics of Asian
Alabai absorbed the best qualities of his ancestors, and in the 93rd year of the 20th century he received the first official standards from FCI:
- Ears. They have a hanging, triangular shape and low landing. Cropped on request.
- Head. The shape is rectangular. Smooth transition to the face narrows to the tip of the nose. A large lobe takes on brown and black shades.
- Eyes. Small in size and dark in color. The eyelids have a clear pigmentation, but with a light color, the stroke may not be complete.
- Jaws. Large, strong and white, covered with thick lips.
- Body. The view is powerful and muscular, has a broad chest with rounded ribs, a straight and broad back, a convex loin and a horizontal, slightly raised croup. Bitch has a large body area. The height at the withers should be 1-3 cm.
- Limbs. Long and strong. Heavy and round paws have developed muscles.
- Tail. It has a saber shape. It is docked at will, like ears. Some representatives may be born with a short tail.
- Sizes. Growth rates are distinguished by a maximum of 65 cm in dogs and 70 cm in males. Weight can reach 80 kg.
- Wool. Straight and stiff, thick undercoat required. The length is short (up to 4 cm) and long (up to 8 cm), accompanied by the presence of a fluffy tail, a mane, fur pants and towing ears. Permissible colors include: white, brown, fawn, pied, black, gray, red, brindle, speckled.
Wool, dyed in chocolate, liver and blue shades - a disqualifying trait. Lifetime is long.
Keeping and caring for the Central Asian Shepherd
The large size of Alabayev suggests spacious housing with constant access to the street.
For the health of the four-legged friend is important:
- Regularly comb out dying hairs. Wool is not prone to tangling, and sticking dirt when drying falls off on its own, minimizing care. Daily combing is required during the molt, which takes place once a year.
- Monitor the condition of the ears, teeth, eyes and claws. There are no breed diseases with these organs; therefore, it is enough to follow general recommendations.
- Maintain daily physical activity. With low mobility pet quickly gaining excess weight. The animal easily carries long walks at a fast pace, so be sure to take it with you for a jog or bike ride.
Diet and feeding
Up to 3 months puppies are fed at least 5 times a day, from 3 to 6 - at least 3, and after 6 - reduce the number to 2 feedings. You can use the feeding table.
With natural feeding puppies give:
- shredded meat
- carrots, apples and greens,
- soaked bread
- cottage cheese and whey,
- rice and oatmeal
The diet for adult animals includes the use of:
- beef and pork ears, cheeks, hryashchik,
- boiled liver (chicken, turkey, beef),
- beef heart and tripe,
- quail eggs
- fermented milk products,
- fruits, vegetables and greens.
Do not forget to add vitamin and mineral supplements, agreed with the veterinarian.
Diet should be set at puppy age
The loss of animal appetite in the summertime is a normal phenomenon associated with a decrease in the energy expended on heating the body.
Старайтесь избегать отечественного производителя, экономящегося на качестве. Хорошим составом обладают корма из Канады, славящейся трепетным отношениям к четвероногим друзьям.
К характерным особенностям сао относят:
- Attachment.Dogs perceive the owner as the most important value in their lives. Loss of the owner - the hardest psychological trauma for the animal. The pet, who has changed the owner, loses trust in the person and always expects repeated betrayal.
- Protective instinct. One Alabai always throws himself to protect his family and property, so you can not worry about safety with such an animal.
- Dominance. Aggressive attitude to other dogs implies strict control and the obligatory presence of a leash. Despite intolerance to strangers, the pet gets along well with other four-legged family members and loves to tinker with young children.
Features of training
Coping with the training of alabayev without sufficient skills is not easy, so you have to ask for help from dog handlers.
The animal is socialized from puppyhood, conducting mandatory joint walks. It is important for the baby to understand that the host is the leader of his flock, which deserves attention and obedience from the side of the crumbs.
The animal learns quickly, but is highly dependent on external stimuli that can reduce all the training.
These menacing-looking dogs have a complex character that requires a special approach.
How much is a puppy
The cost of puppies depends on the class:
- pet class - 6-10 thousand rubles,
- Breed class - 10-20 thousand rubles
- show class - 20 thousand rubles and above.
In some elite nurseries the price tag reaches 70 thousand rubles because of the prestige of the place and the titles of manufacturers.
When buying a puppy, do not try to take too little pet. Assessing the health and the exterior of an animal is easier after changing teeth and dropping testicles.
In conclusion, I will note that the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is a dog intended for captive keeping. In urban conditions not only the owner will suffer, but the beast itself. Breed is not suitable for beginners and requires a serious return on training.
How often to bathe?
Since the wool of this breed has self-cleaning properties, without the need to bathe the animal is not worth it. After the walk, it is enough to wash the stomach and paws with warm running water without detergents. If the dog is soiled, then you can buy it using a special veterinary shampoo without dyes and flavors, preferably on the basis of herbs.
Alabai very much like to swim in natural waters. For them it is very useful, so try to take out a pet to the nature in the warm season more often.
Which is better to choose - dog or bitch?
Basically bitches are more mobile, more dynamic, more impulsive. They are more sensitive than males. The latter in most cases are prone to phlegmatic temperament. Males are usually more suitable for protection, they are fearless and, without hesitation, will rush to the attack when there are provocative factors. Bitches are more cautious: they prefer to bark at the enemy from afar or block the way to their territory without exercising grabs. Although, in battle, the male will immediately release the opponent as soon as he realizes that he won. Bitch, on the contrary, often fights until the death of the enemy.
Bitches will constantly fight with the owner for leadership. A dog, on the contrary, having once assimilated its place, does not try to break the hierarchy.
For inexperienced dog breeders, it is definitely better to choose a bitch: the dimensions and weight of the dog are smaller, in case of any omissions in raising them it will be easier to correct.
The advantages of keeping a breed include:
- High intelligence and innate protective and protective qualities.
- The highest dedication to the owner and his family, especially children.
- Undemanding conditions and cleanliness.
- Dog's coat is distinguished by its ability to self-cleaning, therefore it always looks neat.
- Despite its large size, alabai has a moderate appetite, is unpretentious in eating.
- Not afraid of heat, cold, temperature changes.
- Outside its territory is quite loyal and calm.
- Will not bark in vain.
- He loves children.
The largest Alabai in the world lives in Stavropol and weighs 125 kg. A nickname to match the giant - Bulldozer. When he stands on his hind legs, his height exceeds 2 meters. According to the rating of the largest breeds in the world, the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is on the 8th place.
Purpose of the Central Asian Shepherd
For centuries, the Central Asian Shepherd Breed had the following purpose:
- livestock security
- pigeon strength
- participation in dog fights,
- hunting for wild beasts
- protection of the owner and his family members.
Nowadays, alabai are acquired as guard dogs for private property and industrial facilities. However, in order to raise the necessary qualities in an animal, it will be necessary to put enough effort.
On a note. The owner of such an animal must be a strong man with an active lifestyle, having a strong character and having some experience in dog breeding. The Central Asian Shepherd Dog should not be started up by passive and slow-moving people, women and weak-minded individuals. And also representatives of this variety will not be able to accept as the owner of the child, therefore for children it is better to choose a dog of another breed.
Color and type of wool
Alabai has very thick hair with long straight hairs, reaching 10 cm. The undercoat is thick and warm, and the limbs and head of the animal are covered with short hairs, tight to the skin.
The standard of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog allows for a variety of colors. Combinations of brown with a blue-gray tint are considered unacceptable, as well as a “raincoat” color, where the main color is a red-brick color.
The Central Asian Shepherd Dog has a very warm and thick coat.
Types of Central Asian Shepherd Dogs
As a result of selection work, several varieties of Central Asian shepherd dogs appeared.
- Turkmen breedwhich is considered the primary view. In turn, this population is subdivided into Alabai and Klon-Leopards. The first variety is most suitable for living in the city, these are lean dogs of relatively small size, characterized by excellent livability. The second type is characterized by aggressiveness and good guarding skills. These are wayward and difficultly trained dogs.
- Caucasian Alabai This species was bred as a result of crossing the main population with the Caucasian Shepherd.
- Tibetan Alabai Breeding was obtained as a result of mating of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog with the Tibetan mastiff and is considered small.
- Turkish alabai. Quite a young population, which received such a name for some strange reason. In Turkey, these animals are not very common among breeders, and a number of other breeds of guard and herding dogs have gained popularity in this country.
Attention! Often unscrupulous breeders betray the mestizos of mysterious origin for some rare species of Alabai. It is important to remember that the main and officially recognized are only the listed species.
There are 4 types of Central Asian Shepherd.
Character and temperament
The nature of alabayev is rather controversial.
Breeders note the following positive qualities of these dogs:
- high intelligence
- ability to learn
- calm and phlegmatic,
- lack of fussiness,
- excellent protective and protective qualities
- loyalty to the family members of the host and his other pets.
Among the shortcomings can be identified pride and independence. Such a dog will not tolerate sitting on a chain, and it is better to keep a Central Asian Shepherd in an aviary.
In addition, it is possible to distinguish such distinctive features of the Alabai, formed over the long centuries of existence of the population:
- Intolerance to other dogs that are not “family members” of the host. In former times, the Central Asian Shepherd Dogs took part in battles, which did not add to them the love of their fellow men. Proper upbringing and training reduce the level of aggression, but it’s impossible to get rid of it. Often males-alabai do not tolerate males, even their breed.
- The Central Asian Shepherd Dogs are quite aggressive towards outside animals.
Aggressiveness towards all types of animals, especially unknown ones. For thousands of years such dogs have been taught to protect livestock, as well as other living creatures inhabiting the farmstead. For this reason, any unfamiliar individual can cause aggression in the Central Asian Shepherd Dog, and it can kill even a wild and strong beast.
Before you get an animal of this breed, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons. Only a balanced and strong-willed person will be able to cope with such a dog, and in the hands of a weak-minded personality alabai become a fierce beast, representing a grave danger to people and other animals.
What are the requirements for feeding the breed? The Central Asian Shepherd Dog is a massive animal that consumes a lot of energy and needs to be replenished. Alabai well assimilate products that are poorly suitable for other breeds, therefore, feeding the Central Asian Shepherd Dog has its own characteristics.
It is necessary to feed an adult animal twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.
With high physical exertion, one more meal is added at lunch. Food should be at room temperature. It is necessary to feed the animal no earlier than 1.5-2 hours before the walk. After eating the animal should be at rest.
For the proper development of the body, the animal must receive proteins, which can not be replaced. The daily protein requirement for a dog of this breed is about 100 grams. Meat, fish, dairy products, and also porridges - millet and barley are most enriched with this component.
The daily requirement of an adult animal in fats is about 25 grams. Without them, the metabolism, normal digestion. The dog's body is not able to properly process the vegetable fats, so it must give fats of animal origin.
Carbohydrates are an indispensable source of energy, the average daily need for them - 350 grams. A good source of them may be potatoes. Together with food, various microelements, potassium and calcium salts enter the body. But sodium is added in the form of salt. A day is enough 15-20 mg.
For the convenience of the owner and to ensure a balanced diet, it is recommended to make the menu for the week. The main food for the Alabai is meat products that are high in calories. They use meat of both domestic and wild animals, but the product must pass a veterinary inspection, be benign, fresh, without signs of spoilage.
The meat contains a large amount of fats and proteins that are necessary for the body of the shepherd. For feeding use lean meat - beef, lamb, horse meat. As an addition, you can use dried meat, but replacing them with fresh is unacceptable.
At least once a week alabay need to give raw meat in small pieces. As a treat, it is sometimes possible to give the dog corned beef, but such a product needs to be well washed and boiled.
The lack of trace elements and mineral salts can lead to all sorts of diseases, bone fragility, nervous system disorder. Therefore, meat and bone meal is also an important component of the diet. It is absorbed worse than meat. It should be given on 100-200 grams 2-3 times a week, adding to porridge or soup.
Most of the vegetable feed in the diet are cereals, especially millet and oatmeal. Barley and barley porridge shepherd eaten reluctantly, so they are mixed with millet and oatmeal. The daily rate of vegetables does not exceed 200-300 grams, you can offer cabbage, carrots, lettuce, beets, potatoes, spinach, young nettles.
As a source of fat, use beef or fish oil. Meat in the diet is partially replaced by boneless fish. "Asians" are well absorbed milk. You can give 300 grams of bread daily.
Nutrition. Dry food
Despite the fact that most owners prefer to feed their Central Asian shepherds with natural food, there is the possibility of transferring to a special dry food. Such a decision should be deliberate and balanced, as frequent transitions from “drying” to “naturalka” will have a negative impact on the health of the animal. The Central Asian Shepherd Breed has been formed for a long time and has certain nutritional requirements.
Marks "Akana", "Origen", "Proplan", "Hills", "Bozita", "Ekanuba" have rulers for dogs of gigantic size. This kind of food is suitable for Alabayam. Compared with natural food, the amount of dry food, sufficient to meet the daily needs of the animal, is very small. Therefore, it is necessary to transfer the dog to “drying” at a young age, in 2-3 months, until the stomach is stretched.
When feeding with dry food, it is imperative to provide an additional load on the jaws - to give bones, sticks, special treats. Food can be soaked in water. The transition from "drying" to natural food can also be difficult - the stomach will find it difficult to cope with large pieces of food, vomiting, indigestion may appear.
The amount of food depends on the activity of the dog. When exercising portions need to be increased. An animal must always have access to clean water.
How to choose a puppy
Alabai, as well as all large dogs, mature late, mating of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is carried out not earlier than attaining 18 months.
Have you made a decision to purchase a Central Asian Shepherd puppy? Weigh in advance all the pros and cons, because the maintenance of such a serious dog will require large material and time costs. The owner of such a dog must be physically strong and have a strong-willed character. Do not act impulsively, approach the choice wisely. If you like the Central Asian Shepherd, photos of babies can just melt your heart. Do not forget that from these cute cubs will grow a ferocious beast.
The dogs of the Central Asian Shepherd are mobile and persistent, they are constantly fighting for leadership, pugnacious and fiercer. Males are balanced, calmly take their place in the pack.
Many dog experts say that you first need to choose a breeder, and then a dog. Puppies of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog from some couples may have owners at birth, as people can wait for a litter from a certain pair for years. Another point: you do not need to try to save money, because the content is weak - the pleasure is not cheap, especially at first.
So, a few rules to follow when buying alabaya:
- No bird markets. If you need a healthy mentally and physically dog, carefully choose a breeder.
- Before you buy, carefully study the photos of puppies of this breed, you should be well aware of how Central Asian Shepherd puppies look at a young age, how long is six, large muzzle, overall fatness, etc. If puppies seem to be too thin, they have a different shape something else is alarming, then give up the purchase.
- Be sure to look at the parents, they must be healthy, balanced, adequate.
- The ideal age for buying a puppy is 2 months.
- Choose a curious, not shy kid.
- If puppies have long hair, most likely it is a cross between a Caucasian Shepherd.
- A puppy should be active, healthy looking, with straight legs, clean hair, eyes, ears, and a wet nose.
Puppies can not be overfed, even though they seem very large. This not only threatens with excess weight and stress on weak bones, but also leads to stretching of the stomach.
Puppies up to three months of age are fed 5 times a day, up to five months - 4, and 3 times a day until they reach the age of 8 months. If a dog leads a passive lifestyle, then two meals a day are enough; for dogs with a lot of physical activity, three meals a day.
Feeding is done at the same time in strict portions. Constantly food in a bowl is not left. The diet consists of meat products, cereals, fresh vegetables and greens. Dry feed puppy is not recommended. The abundance of too liquid dishes can lead to intestinal twisting.
New products are introduced gradually, in small portions. If an allergic reaction is detected, the product is excluded. It is recommended to give the puppy 2 times a week a raw chicken egg. It is useful to give the shell, pre-crushed in a coffee grinder.
Several times a week, meat products are replaced with boneless fish. Pork ears, cheeks, hooves, beef bones are offered as a treat 2 times a week.
Puppy selection criteria
When choosing a puppy, consider all breed standards. Future pet is better to buy in proven nurseries. Only in this case, you can be sure that you will get a healthy and purebred four-legged friend. Ask how many puppies the female has led. If their number is more than 5, then it is better to refrain from buying, since puppies increase the risk of developing many diseases. It is best to buy puppies from the mother, whose age is not more than 8 years.
Carefully look at the puppy you like. He must be active and inquisitive. Wool should shine. Собака должна быть среднего телосложения, не нужно брать слишком упитанного или худощавого питомца. Возраст – от 1,5-2 месяцев, после первого курса прививок. Через несколько дней после рождения щенку купируют хвост и уши.
So that your four-legged friend always remains healthy and well-groomed, follow these rules:
- Regularly comb out dying hairs. As a rule, the wool at Alabai does not tangle, and the remnants of dirt crumble when dried. It allows to reduce leaving to a minimum. Sheepdogs molt once a year, during this time daily wool combing is required.
- Examine the ears, eyes, claws and teeth regularly. As practice shows, these parts of the body are not affected by infections, so in the care should follow the general recommendations.
- Every day, the Central Asian Shepherd should be given intense loads. The animal can be taken for a run or bike ride. Do not allow the Alabai to have excess weight.
Up to 3 months of age, the puppy must be fed 5 times a day, then the rate is reduced to 3 times, and from 6 months they are transferred to 2 single meals. In the diet of a puppy, you should definitely include scrape meat, eggs, rice and oatmeal, carrots, apples, greens, cottage cheese, whey, soaked bread. An adult individual can be given pork and beef ears, cheeks, cartilage, boiled liver, offal, quail eggs, cereals, fruits, vegetables, fermented milk products. Be sure to add a vitamin and mineral complex. It is better that the vitamins are prescribed by a veterinarian.
Please note that in the summer, Alabaev is characterized by loss of appetite. This is due to the fact that a smaller amount of energy is expended on heating the body.
Purchased feed is permissible in the shepherd's diet. It is desirable that they were premium. The best are feed from Canada.
How to train Central Asian Shepherd
It is necessary to train a dog from an early age. Every day, try to devote at least 20 minutes to this process. It is allowed that all family members take part in the training, but everyone should follow the generally established rules. By 9 months, the dog must know the basic commands.
Pay special attention to the formation of needs, such as positive emotions, play, communication with family members and other animals.
Do not forget that Alabai is touchy and vindictive, so in no case do not use cruel measures against them. You will never be able to establish contact with your pet if you curse or repress it all the time. If you gave Asian a certain command, be sure to achieve its implementation. A puppy must learn not to react to external stimuli, for this, try to always walk on different routes.
The weak side of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is aggressive behavior towards other animals. This question should always be kept in check and try to keep it to a minimum.
If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to entrust the training of Alabai to professional dog specialists.
- not the best option for living in an apartment
- a large amount of wool falls during the molting period,
- aggressive behavior towards outsiders,
- improper upbringing can lead to uncontrollable behavior,
- requires competent and timely training.
If you still do not understand how the Alabai differs from the Central Asian Shepherd, then we will definitely answer with nothing. This is the same canine representative found in the countries of Central Asia.
Disadvantages and complexity of the content:
- Not suitable for maintenance in an apartment, due to its large size, extensive territory is required for maintenance.
- Requires long walking and serious physical exertion.
- Not for those who are afraid of difficulties and are not ready to constantly monitor and educate.
- The tendency to occupy a high hierarchical rank in the family, which leads to insubordination.
- Professional training is required, otherwise it can become unmanageable.
- Aggressive towards other dogs.
- Abundant annual spring moult.
- Loves to dig holes, not to wean.
- Poor tolerated moisture.
- Tendency to gathering and wandering (you should immediately take educational measures).
- Such a feature of the breed as low socialization.
- The inability of the majority of the breed to "work" on foreign territory.
Breed description: character and temperament
Alabai have a balanced and stable psyche. This is the reason for the main behavioral qualities of the breed - calm and even phlegm, lack of fussiness, slow response to surrounding stimuli. On the other hand, it is impossible to call these dogs rude or stupid: alabai is incredibly sensitive to the slightest changes in the owner's behavior, he has high intelligence, and in training he shows a remarkable trick. To the shortcomings of the character of the Central Asian Shepherd, such features as pride, independence, some sullenness, and distrust of strangers can be conditionally attributed.
One of the remarkable qualities of the breed is that the shepherd will not attack the enemy unnecessarily. It is quite difficult to provoke. To strangers adults who do not bear the threat, the dog is moderately indifferent, to the children of affectionate.
Central Asian Shepherd Dogs are very patient and kind to the family members of the owner, his pets.
The main difference between the character of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog and other service breeds is the ability to make decisions independently. Making him serve in the style of the German Shepherd will not succeed. This dog will execute commands only on condition that it is fair or necessary. With proper upbringing and on condition of stable contact with the owner, the dog himself understands what is acceptable and what is not. This is a proud and "thinking" breed.
Aviary and booth
Keeping a Central Asian Shepherd Dog is a rather laborious job. The best option is a spacious aviary with a comfortable booth. Aviary should be removed from the human housing at 10 - 15 meters. A place for him is desirable to tamp and clean from foreign objects, as well as create a small slope for the drain. The aviary should be in a dry and sunlit area.
The size of the booth is at least 100 × 90 × 80 cm, the size of the manhole is 40 × 50 cm. The booth should be made of wood with a sloping flat roof (sloping back), insulated and installed in a place protected from wind and direct sunlight. To prevent water from getting into the dog's home, the booth is installed on small bars. A wooden panel measuring 100 × 170 cm and a stern pole with a ring are needed in front of the booth, for which the dog can be temporarily tied up if necessary.
Walk start with 3 months. It is important to teach the dog to walk on a leash and in a muzzle. Take walks away from people and other animals. One walk lasts about an hour, at least there should be 2 per day. Puppies walk more often - 3 - 4 times a day. For harmonious development, representatives of the breed need to walk several kilometers a day.
It is possible to lower the pet from the leash only in the places specially designated for this purpose - the platforms enclosed with a high fence or a metal grid.
It is important to monitor the cleanliness of the dog: clean the rubbish regularly, shake out, vacuum, wash and periodically completely replace the litter, wash the inside and outside of the box once a month. Twice a year, the area is completely disinfected using special agents.
It is also necessary to clean the dog itself regularly - usually hygiene procedures should be carried out once a day, before the morning walk. To start, you should examine the mouth, ears, nose, eyes, feet and fur of the animal. If everything is in order, then it remains only to comb the dog with a frequent comb.
Ears are wiped with a damp cloth every 10 to 15 days. If the ears are very dirty, you can use a cotton swab dipped in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. If ticks are found on the ears, they should be immediately and carefully removed. For dark brown, black or foul-smelling discharge from the auricles, immediately consult a veterinarian.
When wounds or scratches are found on the paw pads, they are also treated with peroxide. If the paws are soiled with fuel oil, paint or other similar substances, they must be washed with a swab moistened with a solvent, and then wiped with vegetable oil. It is important to control that a foreign body does not fall into the pads.
Claws can be cut with a special claw cutter if they have grown too large, but try not to damage the vessel passing through the claw. After the procedure, it is better to grind off the sharp edges of the claw with a file. If you allow the dog to walk with long claws, it can cause deformation of the paws.
Contaminated skin of the nose is wiped with a soft cloth moistened with warm water. The nose of a healthy dog should be without discharge, wet and cold (a warm nose can be after sleep).
Discharge, which may appear in the corners of the eyes of a healthy dog, should be removed with a gauze cloth dipped in a decoction of a pharmaceutical chamomile. It is not recommended to use a solution of boric acid or strong tea for this purpose.
Twice a month shepherd must brush their teeth. An ordinary toothbrush or cotton swab will be suitable for the procedure. Instead of toothpaste, you can use baking soda or school chalk, diluted with a small amount of citric acid. If between the teeth of a shepherd dog any small objects (pieces of bone, wooden stick) are stuck, they should be immediately and carefully removed.
Very important is the question of how to feed alabaya. Products that should be included in the dog's diet:
- Raw meat - beef, veal (boil or boil for up to 3 months).
- Chicken, turkey - infrequently and without viscera and bones.
- Offal - beef kidneys, scar, caltyki, trimmings, beef tails, veins, liver (it must be cooked), scar, heart (no more than 20 - 25% of meat ration).
- Low-fat sea fish.
- Kashi - buckwheat, rice, oatmeal.
- Dairy products - cottage cheese, cheese, ryazhenka, kefir (preferably from goat milk).
- Vegetables, fruits and greens - cabbage, carrots, pumpkin, apples, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, garlic.
- Berries and nuts.
- Bones from the bull lived.
- Any food from the human table.
- Sweets, muffins, white bread.
- Any bones.
- Millet, pearl barley, semolina, oats, barley.
- Citrus and exotic fruits.
- Any seasonings and aromatic additives.
- Salted, smoked, pickled, canned, etc.
- Tubular, especially boiled, bones.
Important feeding rules:
- All products give raw (except cereals).
- Permanent access to clean water.
- Feed at room temperature.
- Observe the regime - an adult individual is fed twice a day, 15 minutes after the walk. A puppy is fed up to 3 months - no more than 6 times a day, after 3 months - 5 times, after four - 4 times, from six months and up to a year - no more than 3 times a day.
- Food that has not been eaten in 10 to 15 minutes should be removed, the dog should not be fed until the next meal.
Diseases of the Central Asian Shepherd
The Alabai breed is very hardy and does not suffer from many diseases. Due to the physical characteristics of the dog, the most common diseases are:
- Obesity - peculiar to 33% of dogs contained in apartments. An unbalanced diet, lack of physical activity, sitting on a chain, short walking distance also contribute to weight gain. The consequence of obesity is usually a heart attack, which often leads to the death of the animal.
- Cardiovascular diseases - arise in connection with the inactive way of life of the dog (arrhythmia, myocardial infarction).
- Diseases of the joints of the limbs - associated with a large weight of the breed, which gives a large load on the paws (dysplasia of the elbow and hip joints, rickets, arthritis, tendonitis, arthrosis, myositis, etc.).
- Skin diseases are mostly ticks and fleas, less commonly fungus, ringworm, demodicosis.
- Genetic diseases - cryptorchidism in males (not testicular prolapse in the scrotum), infertility in bitches, albinism, diabetes mellitus, eyelid fusion).
- Parvovirus enteritis is a serious viral disease, very contagious, characterized by dehydration and leukopenia, in 6 - 10% of cases leads to the death of the animal.
Upbringing and training
The main thing in the training of the Central Asian Shepherd is the psychological moment of establishing contact with the dog. It is important to constantly maintain a leading position. Despite the independent and proud character, the breed has a strong submission and trust to the pack leader. Alabai is a dog soldier waiting for orders from a commander. But it is dangerous to abuse the dog’s trust and infringe upon its dignity. This is fraught with the loss of contact with the pet and subsequent disobedience, and sometimes attempts by the dog to take the highest level in the hierarchy of the pack.
At first, from 3–5 months, the puppy is taught basic skills: a nickname, commands to sit, lie down, place, come to me, not be, etc. Alabai is more problematic in training than many service breeds, for example, a German shepherd, but the lessons learned remembers all my life.
If you want to grow a really good dog, then you need to seek help from a qualified trainer. At a minimum, training a puppy can be done under the guidance of an experienced instructor. This is especially true if you previously had no experience of keeping such a breed. If, out of ignorance, to make any mistakes in education, it will be impossible to correct them later. Improper upbringing is a guaranteed amount of trouble in the future: the dog will ignore your commands, it can attack people, including family members. Alabai - too dangerous breed in order to allow the educational process to drift.
Choosing a puppy
Having decided on the puppy's sex, immediately before purchase it is recommended to consult with a specialist or even take it with you to the breeder. Additionally, it is recommended to read the breed standard and see several litters before making a final decision. It is recommended to go to the nearest dog show. Choosing a puppy, be more attentive to the following aspects:
- Reputation breeder.
- The sanitary condition of the premises for puppies.
- Metric dog and his certificate.
- Veterinary passport with a deworming and vaccination mark.
- Appearance of parents.
- Visual health and behavior of the baby.
It is advisable to purchase a pet not younger than 7 - 9 weeks. Curious, agile, non-aggressive and non-judgmental individuals with the right bite and healthy appetite deserve excellent marks. You should not choose the largest or smallest baby from the proposed.
Health and life expectancy
The ancestors of Alabayev, who lived in harsh conditions, rewarded their descendants with endurance and excellent health. However, like any animal species, this breed tends to some diseases.
Most often, the Central Asian Shepherd Dogs suffer from the following ailments:
- Cardiovascular diseases. Occur in cases where the animal leads a sedentary lifestyle and manifest as a myocardial infarction or arrhythmia.
- Joint problems in the limbs. This is due to the fact that alabai has impressive size and large body weight, which gives a serious load on the paws.
- Skin problems Such animals react painfully to the bites of ticks and fleas, as well as susceptible to fungal diseases, ringworm and demodicosis.
- Alabai who live in an apartment may be obese.
Parvovirus enteritis. This disease has a viral nature, and alabai, infected with such a disease, die in almost 10% of cases.
With proper feeding and care, the life expectancy of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog is on average 15 years. Cases when these dogs lived to the age of 20 have been recorded.
Necessary care and content requirements
To grow a healthy animal, you must comply with the following requirements for the maintenance and care of Alabai:
- Living in an aviary or booth. The size of the compartment should be at least 100 × 90 × 80 cm, and the circumference of the manhole, if we are talking about a booth, is 40 × 50 cm. The place of residence of the dog should be in dryness, in an area well lit by the sun.
- Timely cleaning. Where the dog lives, there should be no debris, dust and dirt. And it is also necessary to regularly use disinfectants for the treatment of bedding and booths.
- Combing wool As a rule, this procedure is carried out once a day, in the morning, using a brush.
- The Central Asian Shepherd should be kept in a spacious aviary.
Care of the auricles. You can wipe the surface of the animal's auditory organs with a cotton swab dipped in water, and if there is a lot of dirt, use hydrogen peroxide. This should be done 1-2 times a week, and inspect the condition of the ears daily.
In addition, the Central Asian Shepherd Dogs need daily walking. It is necessary for the pet to walk for at least an hour at least twice a day. Puppies supposed to walk more often, up to 4 times a day.
It is important from the very beginning to teach alabay to walk in a muzzle, and it is better to let go of the leash only in places designated for walking dogs, enclosed by a fence or net.
The diet and feeding rules of the Central Asian Shepherd
In feeding alabayev you will need to adhere to the following principles:
- Give the animal only raw foods, with the exception of cereals.
- Shepherd dog food should be at room temperature.
- An adult dog should be offered food twice a day, and in feeding puppies it is necessary to follow this schedule: up to 3 months - 5-6 times a day, from 3 to 4 months - 4-5 times a day, after 4 months - 4 times, and 6 months to a year - no more than 3 times a day.
- Food that the dog has not eaten within 10-15 minutes is required to clean and not to feed the pet until the next feeding.
- Giving alabai food strictly by the hour, at the same time.
- Do not mix dry food with natural food.
- Introduce a new type of food gradually, in small portions.
- Avoid overeating.
- Ensure the constant access of the animal to fresh drinking water.
When feeding a pet with mostly dry feed, it is necessary to supplement the diet of the Central Asian Shepherd Dog with the following products:
- raw meat (for puppies boil it or steamed),
- with bones from oxen,
- sea fish low-fat varieties,
- a bird
- cereals (buckwheat, rice and oatmeal),
- chicken eggs
- milk and dairy products,
- vegetables, fruits and herbs,
- berries and nuts.
It is forbidden to give the Alabayam these types of products:
- fatty pork,
- food with seasonings and aromatic additives
- pickles, smoked meats, pickles and canned goods,
- potatoes, beets and onions,
- sorrel and legumes,
- some cereals (millet, whole oats, barley or barley grits),
- citrus and exotic fruits,
- sweets, pastry and white bread.
It is important to remember that the health and longevity of an animal depends largely on its food. For this reason, you need to make the dog's diet in such a way that it regularly receives the daily rate of essential trace elements. And also do not throw in the pet bowl the remains of human food and food, the freshness of which is in serious doubt.
Training and education of Alabayev
It is believed that the Central Asian Shepherd Dogs develop more slowly than other dogs, and their psyche is fully formed only by the third year of life. However, raising an animal must begin immediately, since it is almost impossible to inculcate the "good manners" of an adult.
The main purpose of education alabaya is to teach his submission and the implementation of a number of commands. Classes should be interesting for the pet and consist of a variety of exercises, since it is not interesting to perform the same dog every day and for a long time.
It is better to train alabay together with a professional instructor.
When training alabay you must observe the following rules:
- Initially show the shepherd that the dominant role in the relationship is given to the owner.
- Walk more with a little puppy in unfamiliar places and ride in public transport, while keeping calm. So the animal will get used to be in an environment that is not always comfortable for him and maintain emotional balance in such moments.
- Having established contact with the dog, start classes gradually, gradually complicating the task.
- More to refer to the animal nicknamed (see how to choose a nickname for Alabai). It should be a kind of signal by which the pet must pay attention to the owner.
- To work to automatism the command “Come!”, And at the beginning of training the animal must be on a leash.
- The next most important teams are “Near!”, “Ugh!” And “No!”.
- Engage with animals need to be regularly, preferably daily.
Important! If the owner is not sure that he can properly raise the alabay, you should entrust it to a specialist. Training such a dog must be done without fail, since a dog that grew up “like grass” quickly turns into an uncontrollable creature that can cause serious damage to other people and other animals.
Breeders Tips for Choosing Puppies
The choice of a Central Asian Shepherd puppy should be approached with the utmost seriousness, and pay attention to the following points:
- Reputation breeder. Before you go to a particular nursery, you should collect the maximum amount of information about it. Nowadays, there are many unscrupulous breeders who can “slip” an off-breed puppy or contain animals in inappropriate conditions.
- The condition of the premises. Despite the unpretentiousness and excellent health of the Alabai, they need to be kept clean. A puppy born and spent part of the time in unsanitary conditions is likely to be sick.
- Availability of necessary documentation. The breeder is obliged to provide the buyer with a certificate and metric of the dog, confirming its “noble” origin.