Dog mastitis is not just an inflammation of the lobes of the breast, it is a serious progressive disease that can undermine the general health of the animal. Self-treatment is possible in mild cases and not in a neglected state, but the course of the disease in a dog is such that the initial stages of an ordinary person cannot be determined due to the absence of classical external signs.
In any condition of the gland, which is characterized by the owner as “something wrong”, you should seek the advice of a veterinary specialist for competent advice and assistance.
- various forms of breast injury (bumps, bruises, scratches from puppies),
- stagnation of milk in the ducts and gland (occurs when excessive production of milk, improper or too early weaning of puppies or the birth of dead offspring),
- hormonal disruptions in the form of a false pregnancy (changes in the body occur, as in a normal pregnant period, but without the participation of fertilization, and amid hormonal disorders),
- congenital / acquired pathologies of the structure of the milk ducts (fusion or blockage and the impossibility of outflow of milk),
- poor heredity,
- after local exposure to the lactating gland with cold, strong heat or chemicals,
- postpartum genital infections penetrating the abdominal cavity through the blood or lymphatic vessels,
- decrease in the overall body resistance against the background of failures in immunity,
Local manifestation of the disease
- the gland gets hot to the touch,
- reddening or darkening (cyanosis) of the inflamed lobes,
- general seal or individual fragments,
- an increase in size due to swelling or accumulation of inflammatory fluids and pus,
- pain when feeding and when trying to touch
- swollen lymph nodes on the side of the inflamed glands (axillary or inguinal),
- when pressed on the nipple, the milk is mixed with pus, mucus, white fibrin, blood,
- the nipple itself increases and becomes painful.
Forms of mastitis
One form usually turns into another if the dog is treated incorrectly or not treated at all. The more neglected the form of mastitis, the more difficult the animal to cure without consequences.
It is almost impossible to determine the catarrhal form to an ordinary person, therefore animals usually go to the vet with more complex forms of the disease, up to purulent manifestations.
Action with puppies for the period of mastitis treatment
Allow puppies to a sick mother is possible only with serous and catarrhal form. In these cases, they will help alleviate the condition of the nursing bitch. As soon as purulent, purulent-catarrhal or fibrinous forms are detected and pus or fibrin is detected in milk, puppies are weaned from the breast and transferred to artificial feeding. Contaminated milk can poison the offspring and lead to its death!
What happens if mastitis is not treated or treated incorrectly?
With a prolonged (chronic) course of inflammation of the mammary gland and improper treatment (or failure), the following consequences are possible:
- degeneration of glandular tissues with the formation of tumors (both benign and malignant),
- loss of secreting function and forced removal of the gland,
- the death of the pet from general intoxication of the body,
- death of the offspring from poisoning with the milk contaminated with bacteria.
Mastitis in a non-giving bitch
In a dog without puppies, inflammation often develops on the background of a false pregnancy. This is a clear reason to visit a veterinarian, because treatment should be complex: hormonal - to normalize the general condition and anti-inflammatory - directly to eliminate the inflammatory process. Repetitive mastitis in a false pregnancy is a reason to ponder the sterilization of the dog.
When is the risk of self-help complications minimal?
You can try to treat mastitis in a dog at home under the following general conditions:
- the gland swelling is insignificant, there is no severe deformation,
- there is no rise in total body temperature
- there is no severe pain that causes the dog to whine,
- milk can be decanted by hand, there are no signs of blockage of milk passages,
- there are no blood or pus secretions,
- the inflammation did not cover the whole gland, but only its individual lobes,
- One can notice improvements in the use of traditional medicine and home remedies for the first two days.
With the following symptoms (types) of mastitis in dogs, attempts to provide self-help are permissible:
- Externally, the iron has almost no changes
- to the touch you can feel a slight engorgement of the gland (not a specialist, this is unlikely to determine),
- together with milk, inflammatory secretions are secreted in the form of viscous mucus (the main sign!),
- local temperature does not rise,
- no pain,
- The general condition of the dog is satisfactory.
- inflamed milk lobes swell and increase in size,
- local temperature rises (iron becomes hot to the touch),
- when touching the gland, the dog is clearly unpleasant or even painful,
- upon palpation, gland induction is felt,
- together with milk, a turbid (serous) fluid is released,
- may increase overall body temperature.
How to treat (if there is no veterinarian)
- Complete peace of sick dog. If the individual is long-haired, then it makes sense to cut the hair around the nipple, exposing the sick lobe as much as possible for convenient access and physiotherapy procedures.
- If there is no milk stagnation, the puppies are not weaned from the breast, applying more active and strong to the sick lobes. If stagnation is detected, then the milk should be decanted by hand, and the puppies should be transferred to artificial feeding. Milk that has stuck inside literally sours and mixed with inflammatory secretions - not a single puppy, even the most hungry, will suck such milk. Moreover, it can be fraught with digestive upset in offspring.
- Dairy products, meat and liquid soups should be completely excluded from the dog’s diet, and the amount of liquid consumed should be reduced (given only after meals). It is possible at the time of treatment to transfer the animal to dry food.
- It is necessary to strain the milk only after the massage. Under the massage mean stroking movements on the breast, slightly pressing on her fingers, so as not to cause pain to the dog. Special attention should be paid to places with seals - dense areas of the gland, clearly defined by touch. You need to massage them until you feel their softening.
- There are almost 2 times more ducts in dogs' nipples than in cats, therefore it is possible to decant the milk manually (though not so easy). After massage, the entire gland smoothly proceeds to decanting, making the stroking movements of the nipples from the base to the end, slightly pressing them down with your fingers. In any case, the dog will be unpleasant, but you should try not to cause pain (preferably, everything is done with an assistant). No need to try to filter out all the milk from the breast, it is enough to make it to the state when the milk lobe around the nipple drops and becomes softer.
You can try to decant the milk with a homemade breast pump made from an ordinary disposable syringe (the volume of the syringe is selected according to the diameter of the nipple so that it passes freely and not flush). Removed the piston. The top of the syringe with the spout on which the needle is put is clipped. The cut edges are equal to fire to eliminate skin injuries and give maximum adhesion of the syringe to the skin. The nipple is inserted into the syringe, pressed tightly against the skin and reaches for the piston - the milk will begin to express slightly.
Before decanting, you can give the dog no-silos at the rate of 40 mg (1 tab.) Per 10 kg of weight. This will help remove the likely spasms of the milk ducts and ease the procedure.
- If the local temperature is high (iron to the touch is hot), cooling compresses are made - for example, you can apply chipped and crushed cooled cabbage leaves or cool lotions from medicinal herbs: sage, chamomile, raspberry leaves, chamomile. Pour 200 ml of boiling water 1 tbsp. Any specified grass and insist up to half an hour in a closed container. Then cool to the desired temperature, moisten gauze wipes and apply where it hurts. Top can be tied up with a bandage (not too tight!). Change each time, as the napkin will heat up or every 2-3 hours.
- After the temperature is normalized, you can begin to make warm compresses of the same herbs as during cooling. The difference will be only in temperature - with warming compresses the temperature of the solution should be 37-38 ° C. Important: it is forbidden to warm the mammary gland, if there is even the slightest suspicion of purulent inflammation!
- You can use ichthyol, fir or camphor oil, which is gently rubbed into the surface of the skin of the sick dairy lobe, and then tied up with a lining of cellophane to get some greenhouse effect.
- Unlike cats, dogs can make a thin iodine net on a sick dairy lobe - the distance between the “bars” is at least 1 cm, the frequency is every 3-4 days. It is made with a cotton swab or a match with wound cotton. Impregnate with iodine slightly, so that the stripes are slightly dark yellow in color and do not spread.
- there are clear signs of inflammation (redness of the skin, swelling, tenderness, high local temperature),
- pus is found in milk in the form of individual pieces or filaments of yellow or yellow-green color,
- the milk gets a sharply unpleasant smell (they don’t feed puppies with such milk!)
- body temperature always increases
- outwardly, the dog is sluggish, appetite decreases and interest in puppies disappears.
- against the background of the general changes inherent to mastitis, fibrin threads (dense white strands like threads) will stand out from the nipples,
- when gland is felt, there will be a feeling of crunch (crepitation) due to movement inside the fibrin,
- if the thoracic or inguinal milk lobes are affected, the nearest lymph nodes are sure to increase.
phlegmonous (purulent-necrotic) form:
- differs from purulent mastitis by the initial absence of pus in the milk, it is poured into the subcutaneous tissue (soft swollen areas are formed, during the puncture of which pus is found),
- over time, pus begins to appear in the milk,
- there are high risks of sepsis,
- local signs - classical for mastitis (swelling, tenderness, fever and local, and general),
- glandular tissue of the mammary gland begins to literally melt.
- abscesses with pus are found in the gland itself (limited areas filled with pus and visible only when cutting the inflamed area are dense, surrounded by connective tissue),
- pus is present in the milk and the pH shifts to the alkaline side,
- increase in body temperature and tachycardia (heart rate rises) during the formation of an abscess.
- the rarest form of mastitis in dogs, leading to a unique fatal outcome due to rapidly developing sepsis,
- externally, the symptoms are similar to purulent-necrotic mastitis, covering the entire gland,
- externally, black, similar to black bruises, begins to appear on the skin,
- internal tissues not only melt, but also begin to rot and decay.
Veterinary care for breast inflammation
- To increase the overall body resistance: Fosprenil (intramuscularly 0.2 ml / kg of body weight 2-4 times a day for 5-7 days, it is important not to miss each subsequent injection), Immunofan (1 ml / animal subcutaneously or intramuscularly, once a day for 3-5 days).
- Intramuscularly or subcutaneously Mastometrin (1-4 ml / dog, depending on the size, 1-2 times / day. Until the moment when the symptoms pass) or Travmatinif pain syndrome is expressed (0.1 ml / kg of body weight subcutaneously or into the muscle up to 2 times per day for 3-5 days).
- Antibiotics: Amoxicillin 15% (per muscle 1 ml / 10 kg of dog's weight once, in a course of 5-7 days), ceftriaxone (into a vein or into a muscle of 20-40 mg / kg per day - the dose can be divided into 2 injections, a course: 5-10 days), enrofloxacin 50 (1 ml / 10 kg intramuscularly once for 5-10 days, painful injection, it is important not to skip the intake).
- Topically cream and ointment for mastitis: cream "Dawn" (smear nipples 1-2 times a day after washing), DE cream emulsion (Apply a very thin layer 2-3 times / day. On the diseased lobe of the gland, without touching the nipple, the course is up to 1 week), cream cream emulsion (applied to the inflamed milk lobe, capturing healthy areas without signs of damage and seals up to 3 times / day for 5-7 days, in special cases they are injected directly into the mammary gland through the nipple using a milk catheter for dogs), Cream-balm Phytoelite Antiseptic (applied to the centers of inflammation and seals under the bandage once a day, changing the bandage every day, and after 3-5 days - every other day. The course - 2 weeks).
- Short Novocain blockade. Enter Novocain 0.5% in a dose of 5-20 ml (depending on the size of the dog) in the space between the affected breast and the wall of the peritoneum. If necessary, repeat the procedure after 1, 2 or 3 days.
- Treatment of mastitis in dogs in the operative way is shown in severe cases. Abscesses are opened, purulent wound surface is cleaned, drains are installed for the outflow of inflammatory fluid. In severe cases, carry out the removal of the gland (mastectomy) - a separate part or all.
How to avoid mastitis in dogs
Inflammation of the breast in a nursing bitch is much easier to prevent than to cure. It is enough to follow some simple rules:
- After giving birth, the animal must be kept in normal sanitary and hygienic conditions: clean bedding, proper feeding, periodic treatment of nipples, elimination of drafts. Compulsory washing of the abdomen after walking on the street. Lactating dogs with mastitis do not get sick too often under normal conditions.
- Minimize the risk of injury to the mammary gland: puppies trim the claws from 2 weeks of age, eliminate the kicks and falls of the animal, jumping over high obstacles (thresholds) that can nip the nipples.
- To inspect the chest area for stagnation, if it is noticed that puppies suck milk from the same proportion. Milk should be podtsezhivat independently or pups to sit down on the nipples that suck the most rare.
- In due time to handle abrasions, scratches and any microtrauma of the skin of the breast.
- To monitor the general condition of the nursery, in a timely manner eliminating various infectious diseases, especially of the sexual sphere.
- If the owner’s plans do not include offspring, it is recommended that the bitch be sterilized to prevent the development of a false pregnancy. Sterilization is also shown for repeated cases of dummy.
- With the death of the offspring, the dog's mammary gland is lubricated with camphor oil and is tightly pulled (but in order not to interfere with breathing) - the milk will burn out. Dairy products and liquid food are eliminated for a while from the diet and the amount of drinking water is reduced (given only after feeding).
Types of mastitis
Mastitis is divided into:
- Serous. Develop against the formation of serous exudate in the mammary gland. Possible formation of infiltrates.
- Abscessing. Acute form of mastitis, in which cavities filled with pus are formed in the mammary gland.
- Catarrhal-purulent. In case of such mastitis, the infection develops in the parenchyma of the gland, purulent exudate with a characteristic pus color and odor is secreted from the ducts.
- Purulent-necrotic (phlegmonous) are characterized by a severe course of the disease with the development of sepsis.
- Gangrenous. The most difficult and dangerous. Characterized by the formation of a necrotic process with the destruction of breast tissue, quickly turn into sepsis and in the absence of proper treatment, they end in death.
With all the infectious forms of mastitis, the dog experiences severe pain.
Causes of disease
The cause of mastitis is getting into the ducts of the breast infection:
- E. coli
- non-clostridial anaerobes.
The main factors provoking mastitis:
- Long stagnation of milk. It occurs in the case when the amount of sucked milk is less than the amount produced. Occurs during hyperlactation, during stillbirth and early transfer of puppies to feed.
- Postpartum infection. As a rule, it occurs in the absence of proper care for the mother who gave birth, if sanitary and hygienic standards are not observed during childbirth and the postpartum period.
- Breast injuries. With intensive sucking puppies can damage the delicate skin of the dog's nipples, it is also possible to scratch the puppies with the claws during feeding. An infection penetrates into the cracks and scratches formed and the inflammatory process starts.
- Blockage of the nipple ducts. Milk can not get out of the gland, there is stagnation and subsequent inflammation.
- Ложная беременность. Молоко начинает вырабатываться, а кормление не происходит.
- When supercooling or, conversely, overheating of a nursing pet.
- As a result of severe stress.
- Hereditary predisposition to the disease.
Symptoms of inflammation in dogs
The postpartum period in pets has a high degree of risk for the development of various infectious and pathological processes.
All of them are characterized by the following common symptoms:
- loss of appetite or a complete rejection of food,
- unwillingness to care for droppings,
Local characteristic signs of mastitis will help distinguish mastitis from other possible diseases:
- breast enlargement (one or more),
- reddening of the skin on an inflamed gland,
- significant temperature increase at the site of inflammation (noticeably to the touch),
- discharge of milk with blood, pus, exudates of gray-white color or greenish-brown color from the inflamed gland.
How to treat mastitis at home
At detection of the listed signs (one or many) it is necessary to pay special attention to the nursery.
With a slight increase in the mammary gland and the absence of uncharacteristic secretions, it is possible to help the pet at home.
The following manipulations are recommended for this:
- Tight bandaging for 1, max 2 days. Prolonged pressure on the mammary gland will reduce the production of milk and reduce its inflammation.
- Massage and pumping. With increased lactation and a small number of puppies, milk does not have time to suck in time and stagnates. The udder becomes compacted and hot to the touch. In this case, the dog may be helped by draining excess milk. This should be done very carefully. Slightly pre-massage the gland (gently stroking), it is necessary to decant the milk until the compaction passes and the udder softens. Completely empty the gland is not necessary.
- Putting puppies on feeding to the diseased gland.
When the dog has no pronounced pain syndrome, and the milk is released white and without blood and purulent impurities.
Mastopathy causes pain
In the case of a strong increase in body temperature, pain in the dog, purulent or with blood impurities secretions from the udder, an urgent need to seek help from a veterinarian.
In severe forms of mastitis, it is prescribed:
Appointed to remove purulent foci and necrotic tissue, tissue drainage. In severe cases, to save the life of the animal, complete removal of the mammary gland is possible.
The use of most veterinary drugs are not compatible with lactation and may harm the health of puppies. Treatment of mastitis should be carried out strictly under the supervision of an experienced specialist.
If the dog has a genetic predisposition for mastitis, it is necessary in the postpartum period and during estrus to pay special attention to it:
- regularly visit a veterinarian,
- observe hygienic rules of care for a nursing dog,
- antiseptic solutions (furatsilinom, potassium permanganate, brilliant green, miramistinom or chlorhexidine) in a timely manner all cracks and abrasions on the nipples and surfaces of the mammary glands,
- every week dairy puppies cut their claws,
- With the death of puppies tightly bandaging all the glands.
In the article I told about the disease of mastitis in dogs. Described the types of mastitis, symptoms and causes of the disease. Explained how to treat pet. Cited disease prevention measures.
Injuries to the breast in a dog
Injuries to the nipples and udder cause mastitis most often. Injuries occur when feeding puppies - they claw at the delicate skin of the nipples and around them. If time does not pay attention to such scratches and do not take measures for processing, they can get pathogenic microorganisms from the external environment.
Having noticed the damage on the nipples of the nursing bitch, be sure to wash them with warm water, treat with a peroxide solution, lubricate the injured areas with an emulsion of synthomycin or streptocide. No less important is the procedure for inspection of puppies. From two weeks of age, it is necessary to trim the claws to prevent injury to the udder of a nursing dog.
The disease is easier to prevent than to cure. If we managed to notice the signs of the disease beginning and everything was done correctly, there is hope to get by with home procedures. If the skin around the nipples is reddened, swollen, hot, the animal reacts sharply when touched to the affected area - you should immediately contact a veterinary clinic.
The most important in the prevention of mastitis in dogs arising on the background of injuries is:
- daily inspection of a nursing dog
- periodic inspection of the dog by a specialist
- keeping the place of the animal with the litter clean
- inspection of puppies, timely trimming claws
Difficult milk flow
Most often, this pathology in dogs is associated with improper (early) weaning of puppies or their death. The mammary gland continues to function, the milk chambers overflow, in the stagnant milk harmful microorganisms begin to develop.
Depending on the severity of the process, mastitis is divided into:
In case of serous mastitis, the breast pack increases in size, is very dense to the touch, the temperature of the skin around the focus of inflammation rises, and the pain reaction is pronounced. When donating a cloudy clear liquid is released.
Catarrhal-purulent mastitis has the same characteristics as serous. When donating from the nipple stands out yellowish milk, due to the admixture of pus, the dog's body temperature rises.
The owners need to take into account - without proper treatment in dogs, mastitis from one form goes into another.
Abscess form leads to the formation of abscesses (small cavities filled with pus) in the thickness of the dog's udder tissue.
Phlegmonous, gangrenous forms are the most severe. Without intervention of the expert, timely radical treatment, come to an end with sepsis and death of a dog.
Dog mastitis in false pregnancy
It develops like the previous one, having a completely different nature of origin. Lactation in an unborn dog refers to physiological processes rather than pathological ones. Almost every second dog passes through this to varying degrees. There is no connection with whether the dog had a litter earlier.
False meat occurs on the fifth or eighth week after the last hunt in case of unsuccessful fertilization. The behavior of the dog changes - it starts to prepare the nest, sometimes it brings soft toys to it, resembling puppies, adopts a pose characteristic of feeding, allows the owner to give milk. The reason for the false hyphenation is considered a change in the hormonal balance in the dog's body during estrus.
The most significant factor in this condition is lactation. The dog's udder is filled with milk, the nipples swell. If the shallowness and milk production are inhibited, there is a risk of inflammation in the mammary gland. One or more packages may be affected. Most often inguinal or abdominal, since the secretion of milk in them the greatest.
The udder becomes asymmetrical, the affected packages are enlarged, dense and painful. Further development of any form of mastitis is possible. Usually false pregnancy proceeds quite easily, sometimes imperceptibly. In severe cases, it makes sense to go to the clinic for diagnosis and treatment. Treat false pregnancy with hormonal drugs.
In order to prevent sham, to reduce the risk of mastitis, dog owners are advised to adhere to certain rules. On the tenth day of estrus, nine weeks are counted forward; two or three days before this period, the mode of keeping an animal is changed:
- diet reduced by half
- limit the giving of liquids to a reasonable minimum
- increase physical exertion (walks do longer or intense)
In this mode, the dog contains five to seven days. During this time, a decrease in swelling of the nipples.
Mastitis caused by other diseases
When infections, including sluggish, pathogens with the bloodstream are spread throughout the body, causing new foci of inflammation. The occurrence of mastitis is possible with inflammation of the genital organs in dogs, infections of the gastrointestinal tract. Inflammation of the mammary gland can be caused by pathogenic (streptococci, staphylococci) and conditionally pathogenic microflora (for example, Escherichia coli).
To prevent such mastitis, you must carefully monitor the general health of the animal. To determine the presence of pathogenic microbes is possible only by microbiological research in the laboratory of the clinic. Having noticed the signs of illness in your dog, it makes sense to contact the specialists who will diagnose and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Other factors of mastitis in dogs
A nursing dog should be the object of increased attention of the owner. The mammary gland is a fairly gentle formation, while feeding its offspring its vulnerability increases significantly. Mechanical, thermal, chemical and other irritating factors can trigger the development of mastitis.
Souk during lactation can not be washed with cold water, allow to swim in open ponds with insufficient air temperature. If the dog is with a litter outside in the summer, it is necessary to create a place where the animal can hide from direct sunlight. Excessive physical exertion, such as jumping over obstacles, is also harmful - the dog can injure the udder. A box for childbirth and further feeding of offspring needs to be equipped with one low front wall covered with soft cloth to avoid possible injuries.
It is believed that genetic predisposition plays an important role in the occurrence of mastitis in an animal. When buying a bitch, ask the breeder about the health of her parents. Special attention should be paid to the transferred diseases.
Treatment of mastitis in dogs at home
In the treatment of mastitis, there are two phases:
- first aid
- medical assistance.
With home care at home, every owner can and should cope. If you are faced with the problem of mastitis in a dog, first of all it must be given complete rest. The appliance at the time of treatment is transferred to artificial feeding. When it comes to the earliest possible stage of the disease (abrasions on the nipple or near it), it is permissible to apply puppies to healthy nipples. The patient package must be handed over manually at least two or three times a day.
In long-haired dog breeds, the area around the lesion is carefully clipped. After washing with warm water, scratches on the nipples or udder are treated with hydrogen peroxide or chlorhexidine, dried, and the wound itself is smeared with an antiseptic ointment. For this purpose, synthomycin emulsion, streptocidal ointment, levomikol, ranosan.
If the first moment is missed, or the disease is caused by causes other than injuries, a whole range of measures are taken. The animal is prescribed antibiotics in the form of injections, antipyretic, immunostimulating drugs. When prescribing antibiotics, it is desirable to know exactly what kind of microorganisms caused the disease and microflora sensitivity to specific types of drugs.
Good results in the fight against the disease gives a short Novocain blockade. In the connective tissue between the diseased bag and the abdominal wall, 5-20 ml of a 0.25-0.5% solution of novocaine is injected. Novocaine relieves pain reflex, acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Conducting a short Novocain blockade, antibiotic solutions prescribed for intramuscular administration can be added to the syringe. In addition to the short, the paralyumbal Novocain blockade is shown.
In the authorization stage, patient lobe warming procedures are performed (light rubbing using camphor oil, warming compresses, ozokeritotherapy).
Owners of bitches should remember: mastitis is a dangerous disease, not always curable by therapeutic means. In some cases, the only method is surgery, up to amputation of the affected package. The more severely the disease is started, the more effort and money will have to be spent on treatment, the less chance there is of a favorable outcome. Noticing the symptoms of the disease in your dog - the best way out would be to contact the clinic or call a specialist at home.
Causes of Mastitis in Dogs
The cause of mastitis in dogs is almost always pathogenic microorganisms (stepto- or staphylococcus, as well as anaerobes, as clostridia, and E. coli). These microbes can get through both the open nipple canal (after the puppies have eaten) and through the damaged skin (abrasions, scratches, wounds, scratching, bites). If pyogenic microorganisms get into the ideal habitat for them, then the dog will develop purulent mastitis.
But do not forget about the predisposing factors that only increase the risk of developing mastitis in a dog. These include:
When there is a lot of milk or it is not fully eaten by babies, it stagnates in the mammary gland. The alveoli are so enlarged that the milk ducts are displaced. Milk can no longer flow normally, iron increases, hardens. And for bacteria it is an ideal medium: warm, satisfying. And now microorganisms multiply, causing inflammation of the breast in dogs.
Injuries, scratches, abrasions
They are the gates of infection through which pathogens enter the breast tissue. If you notice that your dog has scratched nipples or adjacent delicate fabrics, be careful. If the wounds are fresh, wash them and sanitize them (disinfect, use iodine, peroxide). Ensure that the nursing bitch does not have any pustules on the glands, injuries, and the body temperature remains normal. If something has alerted you, do not begin to treat your pet at home, even if it seems to you that you can manage on your own. Remember that you are responsible not only for the health and life of the mother-dog, but also for her children. It is not known how your chosen treatment regimen will affect the puppy health.
In addition, there are other possible causes of mastitis in dogs:
- Hypothermia. Because of it, immunity is reduced. Fighting bacteria will become more difficult. And if the nursing bitch is lying on a cold floor or a draft, then the risk that she will have mastitis is extremely high.
- False mind. Sometimes a dog develops false whelping, which leads to the development of mastitis. After all, no one eats milk, it continues to be produced. As a result, lactostasis (stagnant milk) is recorded in the dog. Well, already he, in turn, leads to mastitis.
- Heredity. Yes, sometimes the tendency to inflammation of the mammary glands laid at the genetic level. As a result, females from generation to generation suffer from mastitis. If such a relationship has been established, then it is better not to torture the pet, but to sterilize it, because there is a risk that the microorganisms "move" to other organs, leading to severe purulent inflammation of the internal organs, which is not so easy to diagnose. And purulent inflammation is always the risk of sepsis (blood poisoning).
- Too early or wrong puppies taken away. If you take the crumbs before the deadline, then there will be a huge amount of milk in the glands. Again, the first fad comes into effect. Yes, and puppies otluchat from mom need to correctly. Transfer to a new feed gradually. It is impossible to sharply tear off babies from a nursing bitch, otherwise mastitis will develop due to impaired outflow of milk.
- Infectious diseases. Bacteria move easily through the blood and lymphatic vessels in any cell of the body. Therefore, in a nursing dog, mastitis may appear against the background of a “common” infectious disease.
- Poisoning. As well as the influence of toxic substances.
- Overheating. Like hypothermia, overheating is dangerous for a nursing bitch.
- Dairy duct blockage. If milk cannot be eliminated, then it accumulates in the gland. Again, stagnation, and that's inflammation. Everything is connected.
Here is a huge list of the causes of this disease!
Symptoms of mastitis in dogs
Symptoms of mastitis in dogs can sometimes be confused with lactostasis. But if you know some of the subtleties that you now understand, then the diagnosis will not be so difficult. Correct, and most importantly, timely diagnosis will help you quickly and correctly prescribe an effective treatment. So, what are the most common signs and symptoms of mastitis in dogs?
Local clinical signs of mastitis in a dog
To understand what proportion of mastitis affected is not difficult. It is larger in size than healthy, asymmetry is visible. If you touch the inflamed lobe, it is much hotter than the surrounding healthy tissue. Yes, and redness of the gland is noticeable. The affected tissue swells, hardens, extremely painful. If you touch the inflamed lobe, the dog will twitch, may squeal from pain, whine, lick the sore spot. При аккуратном надавливании из соска вытекает молоко с различными примесями: кровью, гноем, например. Могут быть хлопья (серые, желто-зеленые, белые), «нити».
What does dog mastitis look like? See the symptoms of this disease in several photos:
How to cure dog mastitis? It is necessary to treat together with the veterinarian, no treatment with folk remedies, since in almost 100% of cases microorganisms are to blame! And without the use of antibiotics to cure a dog, sick with mastitis, at home will not work! And only the veterinarian decides what injections are necessary for an animal with inflamed mammary glands.
First aid at home
If mastitis in a dog is just beginning, you can start treatment at home: you can warm the gland slightly (camphor oil is great for warming the gland when mastitis is in the dog), strain the milk from the diseased gland (not completely!) And bandage the affected part tightly .
But remember that warming is allowed only for catarrhal or serous mastitis! When purulent, phlegmonous, abscess and gangrenous, it is strictly forbidden to heat the inflamed tissue! Heat only accelerates the spread of inflammation and provoke a “breakthrough” of the abscess.
Before you apply antibiotics for treating a dog with mastitis, it is necessary to determine to which drug microorganisms are sensitive. Unfortunately, more than one day is required for the capturing, therefore, for the first time, broad-spectrum antibiotics are prescribed.
If no improvement is observed within three days, then the results of the research will come in handy (the most effective antibiotic will be found that will kill pathogens). The method of selection you can not cope, just run the disease (up to sepsis and death of the animal).
It would be nice to strengthen the immune system. For this, immunostimulants and modulators are prescribed. It would be good to take milk from the affected lobe to the laboratory (there are such departments in good clinics) so that it can be sown. So the vet will know exactly which bacteria are responsible for the inflammation. If it is staphylococcus, then the doctor will prescribe antistaphylococcal gamma globulin. And the pet will start to get better quickly.
Help antipyretics, antihistamines, vitamins, painkillers. But without antibiotics to achieve complete recovery will not succeed.
If everything went very far, the treatment of a dog suffering from mastitis was started too late or did not give positive results, then you will have to resort to surgical intervention. Removing the affected gland, you remove the "focus of infection." And the chances of recovery will be much greater.
If the gland has inflamed in a bitch with drowsiness, then antibiotics will be prescribed, as well as drugs that stop lactation. Be sure to bandage glands.
Details about dog mastitis
Mastitis is usually diagnosed in an animal in the postpartum period. But also the pathology develops against the background of false whelp, when the mammary glands actively secrete milk.
Of the microorganisms, the main causative agent of this pathology should be considered streptococci and staphylococcus.
Main types of pathology
Dog disease has several forms.
Mastitis can be:
The danger is that it is difficult to diagnose the pathology. In the first stage, the disease is almost asymptomatic. The only sign is mucus secretion.
It is difficult to notice the disease in the first stage.
Serous and fibrous forms
When the serous form in the dog's milk, the formation of inflammatory exudate is observed. Only a veterinarian can diagnose pathology.
Diagnosis is carried out only by a veterinarian.
When the fibrous form of the mammary glands stand out fibrin filaments, resembling dense whitish strands.
In the milk of a nursing bitch, purulent impurities appear. They have the appearance of stretching threads. Sometimes they look more like individual pieces of yellow or white.
The hue of the jelly varies. The smell becomes specific, unpleasant.
With the purulent form of mastitis there is an unpleasant smell.
If you find this symptom, you must immediately stop breastfeeding.
- Observed accumulation of purulent masses in the layer of subcutaneous tissue.
- Then it spreads to the inner layers of the skin.
- Initially, he misses the milk.
- But when the bacteria spread to the lobes, the purulent masses become visible in breast milk.
Phlegmonous form is characterized by the spread of pus in the subcutaneous tissue.
An abscess develops on the affected part of the mammary glands. This can lead to irreparable consequences. Fortunately, this form is rarely developed.
Breast abscess is rare.
This is the most severe form of the disease. Dying off of the tissues of the mammary glands. After that they decompose. Against this background, death occurs.
The gangrenous form is considered dangerous.
The main causes of mastitis in dogs
Veterinarians distinguish 4 main provoking factors:
- breast injury,
- early puppies
- a different etiology.
One of the reasons for mastitis is the early weaning of puppies from the mother.
The cause of injury may be a bacterial infection, introduced after mechanical damage to the gland. And it may also be too active sucking breasts puppies.
To injure the mammary gland in dogs can puppies.
Often occurs after a cycle of heat, which was not accompanied by viscous. And also observed after the "empty" mating, when there is no fertilization. This is due to a sharp decrease in the concentration of prolactin and progesterone.
False mind can occur at any age. Most often it occurs 60 days after estrus.
At any age, a dog may have a false mind.
According to some veterinarians, the period of false estrus is absolutely normal for all females, but only some of them have obvious symptoms.
This is explained by the fact that in wild flocks females have a tendency of one-time estrus. The presence of a period of false meat helps to ensure lactation in several individuals at the same time.
Those females that were not fertilized are able to become “foster mothers” for other puppies.
If the pups were weaned suddenly, the dog develops congestive mastitis. This is due to the lack of pumping. Mastitis can develop even if there are no more than two puppies in a litter.
It is not recommended to take away puppies early.
For other reasons that can trigger the development of mastitis, include:
- Diseases of the digestive tract.
- Penetration of infection in the gland.
- Reduced immunity.
- Closure of the nipple sphincter ducts.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Temperature too low.
- Too high temperature.
- Strong stress.
- Exposure to chemicals.
- Pathology of the birth canal.
Severe stress can cause the development of mastitis.
How pathology manifests itself
The disease is characterized by a rather bright manifestation. To diagnose it is simple. There are general and local symptoms. After analyzing them, the veterinarian and prescribe treatment.
After diagnosis, treatment is prescribed.
The general signs of pathology include:
- increase in total temperature
- reduced appetite
- decrease in interest in games.
During the period of illness the dog has no appetite.
The dog often sleeps, its activity drops sharply.
- There is an increase in the size of the affected packets of the mammary glands.
- On palpation, they appear dense and hot.
- A dog may whine or scream at the time of feeling glands.
- Sometimes there is pigmentation of the skin.
On palpation, the dog feels pain.
For catarrhal forms when squeezing the nipples is characterized by the appearance of whitish flakes. Their shade can vary to brownish-green.
For purulent form characterized by the appearance of a yellow or brownish liquid. Sometimes there is a thick gray mass. Often mixed with bloody threads.
A sick dog must be ensured complete rest. If she feeds puppies, they are transferred to artificial feeding. If the disease was detected in the initial stage, the dog is assigned:
- Laser therapy.
- Antibiotic therapy.
- Conducting Novocain blockade.
- Heat treatment.
- Injection rate.
- Surgical intervention.
Antibiotics are prescribed to treat the dog.
- Used equipment of various modifications.
- The optimal dosage is 1–2.5 minutes.
- For relief of symptoms, 3-4 procedures are needed.
Laser therapy is recommended to do no more than four times.
If the veterinarian practices the modern approach, then he resorts to quinolones and cephalosporins.
Depending on how the dog feels, treatment may be prescribed with a nimble antibiotic drug.
Which antibiotic is prescribed depends on the health of the dog.
Conducting Novocain blockade
Assigned short procaine blockade. The dog is injected with a 0.5% solution. The optimal dosage ranges from 5 to 20 milliliters. The substance is introduced into the connective space between the base of the affected gland and the abdominal wall.
If the need arises, the blockade is repeated after 24–72 hours.
It is allowed to blockade 1 time / 72 hours. Bicillin can be used as an antibiotic.
Novocainic blockade is carried out using Bicillin.
Heat treatment at home
When the inflammatory process is in the resolution stage, heat treatment is recommended. Great benefits to the dog's body are brought by warming procedures involving:
At home, you can use a heating pad.
Use of ozokerite is allowed. It provides deep warming of tissues.
Poultices and compresses should be discarded when the mammary gland is affected by an abscess. Otherwise, the blood supply will deteriorate and there will be a risk of opening the neoplasm. At the same time, purulent masses can break through to healthy tissues.
Many veterinary clinics use a new generation of drug, Mastometrin . The use of this tool helps to restore the functions of the breast and endometrium. Also, the drug has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect.
The drug Mastometrin restores the function of the breast.
The optimal dosage is 1 time / 24 hours. Allowed simultaneous use Traumatin . Total therapeutic course involves no more than five injections.
If there are no positive results, an operation is assigned. The main indication should be considered the presence of multiple abscesses, filled with thick purulent masses. The seal is not resolved.
Mature abscesses must be opened, and the purulent cavities sprinkled with antimicrobial powder. Tricillin, Streptocide helps best.
The drug Tricillin has an antimicrobial effect.
Further treatment involves the use of emulsions and antimicrobial ointments.
In order to prevent the development of mastitis, you must:
- adhere to hygiene recommendations
- feed the dog well and properly
- provide the pet with high-quality care for the teeth and coat,
- protect your dog from injury
- Do not allow hypothermia.
Ensure that the dog does not overcool.
Special care is required for a freshly bitch. It was at this time that her body was especially vulnerable.
If the animal is kept on the street, its enclosure or kennel must be insulated. It is very important to ensure that the litter is dry and clean. As they become contaminated, they should be replaced.
With the onset of cold weather, it is recommended to curtain the opening in the kennel with a thick cloth that is able to protect the animal from the wind.
The apartment dog must provide a place suitable for both the mother and her puppies. Do not equip a place in the kitchen or bathroom. You can not settle the dog on the threshold, because the door is constantly blowing.
In the apartment the dog must have a warm, equipped place.
It is important to provide the dog with proper care after giving birth. It is recommended to wipe her body with a cloth dipped in a solution of potassium permanganate. Particular attention is paid to contaminated sites.
Soaked in potassium permanganate should wipe the dog after delivery.
And also need to regularly comb the hair of the dog.