The urinary system of cats is vulnerable to health for the following reasons:
- cats consume little liquid. This is due to the origin of domestic cats from the steppe, who lived in arid conditions. In this regard, they are adapted to low fluid flow, do not sweat, produce highly concentrated urine,
- the size of the animals is small, therefore, their urinary lumens are narrow,
- cats are semi-domesticated animals, walk outside, prone to hypothermia.
These factors contribute to the development of inflammation of the lower urogenital system, one of which is feline idiopathic cystitis.
The risk of diseases of the urinary system increases the age over 10 years, previously using a catheter in the bladder.
The correctness of the diagnosis of idiopathic cystitis of cats and the effectiveness of treatment depends largely on the correct and timely diagnosis. The ability of the veterinarian in the aggregate to assess the symptoms ensures a good result. For accurate diagnosis requires a detailed history.
Research by X-ray allows you to explore the entire length of the urethra. If there are no urethral stones in case of obstruction, blockage of the urethra, idiopathic cystitis is most likely the cause.
Additionally, a urine test is needed to eliminate the infectious nature of cystitis.
All diseases of the urinary system are characterized by similar symptoms. Therefore, the symptoms of idiopathic cystitis in cats are as follows:
- frequent urination, often on the floor and carpet, even in previously “clean” cats,
- urine separation in small portions,
- difficulty urinating
- blood in the urine
- obstruction of the urethra.
At pet one of the specified signs, or a little in various combinations can be observed.
Separately, it should be said about chronic diseases that give similar symptoms, but their root cause lies entirely in other organs and systems. This, for example, diabetes, trauma or neoplasia of the bladder.
Factors causing the disease, not reliably established. Many doctors believe that idiopathic cystitis is not an independent disease, but a syndrome.
Presumably, the primary cause is the particular structure of the endocrine and nervous system of the cat, to which features of the bladder device are sometimes added. Any action in the cat's body consists of a chain of successive events. The nervous system sends an impulse, the endocrine system responds by releasing hormones, organs and tissues perform the corresponding actions and functions. In idiopathic cystitis, violations are observed in all links of this chain. Nervous impulse is either hyperactive or depressed. The hormone production is not enough. The bladder reacts with an inflammatory process even in the absence of an infectious agent.
The main directions of treatment
Treatment of idiopathic cystitis in cats implies the absence of pathogens, therefore, are aimed at the following:
- removing the stress situation in the pet. For each cat it is necessary to identify an individual set of factors that provoke the development of the disease. It is important to know the owners of the cat to create a favorable atmosphere. Often, such a problem is encountered by families or organizations, where several cats or animals of different species live under the same roof. In this case, all the efforts of the owners should be directed to the prevention of conflict situations. Each cat should be provided with the necessary amount of inventory, food and the amount of caress,
- increase the volume and quality of drinking water to increase urination. It is possible to switch to canned food, or partially dry dry. You can try to use bowls of different shapes, from different materials, water of different temperatures and composition,
- change in diet. Obstruction of the urethra is most often triggered by the formation of uroliths of the following types: magnesium struvite, calcium oxalate, ammonium urate, and cystine. You need to choose a diet that reduces the formation of these substances in the urinary tract of the cat. This is a good prevention,
- removal of pain symptoms. You can recommend a single use of modern analgesics or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Doctors estimate to 70 percent of cats suffer from idiopathic cystitis. Unfortunately, it is impossible to completely say goodbye to him. But, subject to the elimination of stressful situations, it is possible to prevent relapses, to significantly improve the quality of life of the pet.
Diagnosis of idiopathic cystitis in cats.
Since there are no diagnostic tests or tests that uniquely confirm cystitis, its diagnosis is carried out with the exception of other possible diseases. This means that the cat needs to hold:
- Analysis of urine,
- Bacterial culture of urine samples,
- X-ray of the bladder (including with radiopaque substances),
- Ultrasound examination of the bladder,
Only after the exclusion of other possible diseases can we talk about feline idiopathic cystitis.
In cats with cystitis, a urine test can show the presence of blood and inflamed cells in the absence of reasons for this (for example, stones in the bladder or infections) that explain these changes. Usually, microscopic crystals can also be found in urine samples, most often struvites (phosphates of magnesia and ammonium) or calcium oxalate. However, such crystals are not the cause of cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) and can usually be found in perfectly healthy cats, as cats have very concentrated urine (in which crystals are easily formed).
Causes of cystitis in cats.
By definition, idiopathic cystitis is a disease with no apparent cause. However, many of the abnormalities that are most often present in cats with cystitis are likely to contribute to the development of the disease:
- Defects of the bladder membrane - The cells lining the mucosa consist of glycosaminoglycans, helping to protect the delicate walls of the bladder. This is important because urine consists of a fluid with a high concentration of many substances that would be irritating without such protection. In cats with cystitis, there are usually defects in the mucous layer or it is not dense enough. This may lead to damage to the cells of the main layer (transitional cells of the epithelium of the bladder), causing the formation of ulcerations, irritation and inflammation.
- Neurogenic inflammation - the nerves in the bladder walls can be stimulated either by local irritation of the bladder membrane, or, sometimes, by signals from the brain (for example, in response to stress). Stimulation of these nerves causes the release of chemical compounds - neurotransmitters, which can aggravate local inflammation and cause pain.
- Stress - it is precisely proved that stresses play an important role in the development of cystitis in cats. For many episodes of exacerbation of cystitis trigger situations are stressful for cats, and even if it is difficult to track the direct connection, it seems that stresses are of considerable importance. Cats living in the house alone and cats in contact with other animals or going out into the street, clearly demonstrate the importance of stress for the development and aggravation of cystitis, even if there is no clear evidence of stress experienced.
- Abnormal stress response - A lot of facts testifying that not only stress itself provokes cystitis. Many cats show a "wrong" reaction to stressful situations. In healthy cats, in response to stress, two types of hormones are released from the adrenaline glands (glands located near the kidneys). With a normal reaction to stress, simultaneous production of catecholamines (adrenaline and norepinephrine) and cortisol begins. However, in cats with cystitis, with a marked tendency to high concentrations of catecholamines (reflecting the stress response), abnormal cortisol production is observed.
Deviations in cystitis in cats, similar to those described above, are also observed in interstitial cystitis in humans. Thus, it is currently believed that idiopathic cystitis can develop in individual cats, perhaps genetically programmed, to respond to stress in a slightly abnormal way, and possibly having some local to the surface of the bladder. However, the exact mechanism for the development of cystitis is still unclear.
Symptoms of idiopathic cystitis in cats.
The clinical signs of cystitis are similar to those of other diseases of the lower urinary tract. The most common are the following:
- Dysuria - difficulty or painful urination,
- Pollakiuria - frequent urination,
- Hematuria - the presence of blood in the urine,
- Periuria - urination outside the toilet tray,
- Overgrooming - especially in the crotch area,
In some cats with cystitis, a blockage of the urethra is possible as a result of severe inflammation and muscle spasms surrounding the urethra.
With cystitis in many cats, the symptoms are not observed continuously, but periodically. Signs can develop quickly, gradually fading out after 5-10 days, and appearing again after a while. In severe cases, symptoms may appear frequently and develop quickly, sometimes persisting for a long time. Cystitis can cause severe inflammation of the bladder and thickening of the bladder wall, which without a biopsy can be difficult to distinguish from the formation of a tumor.
Treatment of feline idiopathic cystitis.
It is believed that the best approach to controlling cystitis in cats is a mixed treatment. It simply means that various methods are used to help reduce the likelihood of repeated episodes of exacerbation of cystitis. Although drug therapy is an important part of treatment and can be very useful in some situations, cystitis is not a well-treatable disease medication. Many drugs have a positive effect at first, reducing the clinical signs in the most affected cats, but studies show that in the long term, very few drugs (if any) have any real effect on this disease. It is very important to focus on proper nutrition and improvement of the living conditions of the cat, as they are crucial in the treatment of cystitis.
Diet for cats suffering from cystitis.
Stimulation of more frequent urination and, accordingly, the production of less concentrated urine (potentially having a less irritating effect on the cells lining the bladder) should alleviate the condition of the cat with cystitis. This is achieved, at least in part, by changing the usual diet of the cat. A good effect, along with other measures to increase water consumption, gives the transition from dry food to wet or canned.
In addition to food containing moisture, veterinary therapeutic diets (only recommended by the doctor) have been developed for cats with diseases of the lower urinary tract. Such diets include supplements from polyunsaturated fatty acids, which have the potential to reduce inflammation, although no additional benefits over conventional foods have yet been identified.
Cats often get used to this or that food, so it can sometimes be very difficult to convert them to diet food. Here are some tips:
- Switch to a new feed gradually - from several days to several weeks, if the cat is more capricious,
- Start by adding a very small amount of new to the usual feed, mixing them carefully,
- Increase the addition of new food only when the cat calmly eats the mixture in the previous proportion. At the same time, increase the amount of new feed very slowly,
- Preheat food to body temperature (about 30 °) - this helps to increase its palatability,
- If necessary, consult with the veterinarian about the drugs, increase the cat's appetite at the time of simplifying the transition to a new feed,
Additional measures to increase cat water consumption:
- Make sure that fresh water is always available to the cat. A cat can drink more if it has several sources available, different dishes in different places, etc.,
- Use flavored water (with the smell of chicken or tuna, for example). Some cats prefer running water (for example, from fountains) - this also stimulates water consumption,
- Add water to food (if it does not reduce the appetite of the cat),
To encourage the cat to drink more, it is important to arrange water in several places, and where it is convenient for the cat to spend time. Avoid noisy places and places near the toilet tray. Best of all, if the water is in a ceramic dish - metal and plastic can emit an unpleasant smell or taste for a cat. It is better to use small dishes so that the cat can see what is happening around while she is drinking and her mustache does not rub against the walls of the saucer (this may be unpleasant for the cat).
Reducing stress levels in a cat's life.
Stress plays a very important role in the development of cystitis, so reducing anxiety has a positive effect on the health of the cat. In a relaxed atmosphere, the cat drinks and goes to the toilet more often, which helps reduce the frequency and degree of exacerbations of cystitis. It is important that cats are confident that they control the events around them.
Provide the cat with free access to the toilet tray. If there are several cats, each should have its own tray (ideally, even several, in different places). Try to find the right place and type of toilet tray that suits your cat. The tray should not be in noisy and crowded places, as cats try to avoid such places.
It is important to try to identify and eliminate any specific causes of stress - these can be other animals, drastic changes in diet, numerous guests, stress in the life of the cat owner and much more. If possible, try to eliminate or neutralize the causes of stress.
One of the most common causes of stress, leading to an exacerbation of cystitis, are conflicts with other cats. They can be very difficult to identify, but if there are several cats in the house, it is necessary to consider this possibility. In some cases, in order to alleviate the cat's condition, the search for new owners will be the best option, as constant stress negatively affects her health.
Cats that spend most of their life indoors are also sensitive to stress. Compared to their wild ancestor, the African wild cat, domestic cats often live in a very limited space, where they have few opportunities to occupy their time and head — such a boring existence can also cause serious stress. Quite simple measures can help in the fight against it, for example:
- Take the time to play with the cat. Do this on a regular basis, daily. Use different toys for games.
- Sometimes let the cat visit forbidden places - rooms, balcony, yard. A cat can be interested
- Arrange the room so that the cat can find something to do (for example, install claws) and relax comfortably. A cat needs some territory and a convenient place to control this territory, at least to some extent. It is important that the cat has something to explore, and that there are places where you can hide - ideally at a height (for example, on closets and other furniture),
- To reduce stress, the treatment of objects with synthetic cat pheromones of the facial glands can be useful - their smell reduces stress and calms the cat,
Medications for the treatment of cystitis in cats.
Although idiopathic cystitis is poorly susceptible to medication, in some cases, drug therapy helps to increase the effectiveness of treatment. In most cases, medications are prescribed only if the change in diet and improvement in the living space of the cat does not give results.
- Glycosaminoglycan Substitutes (GAG) - theoretically, if the GAG layer covering the bladder is not dense enough, its strengthening should positively affect the cystitis in cats. GAG substitutes in the form of tablets and in the form of solutions for injections have now been developed. They are safe to use (as prescribed by a doctor), but so far there is little evidence of the success of the treatment of cystitis with their use, possibly because oral medications and injections do not have a direct effect on the bladder lining.
- Tricyclic antidepressants - Medications such as amitriptyline can be used to treat cats with severe cystitis, and may be helpful. Антидепрессанты могут давать различные побочные эффекты, поэтому их применение оправдано только в тяжелых, неподдающихся другим способам лечения, случаях цистита.
Прогноз лечения идиопатического цистита у кошек.
Результаты недавних исследований говорят о том, что если достаточное внимание уделять увеличению потребления воды и обустройству жизненного пространства кошки для снижения стресса и скуки, состояние большинства больных циститом кошек существенно улучшается. Во многих случаях, по мере взросления кошки цистит постепенно смягчается. В тяжелых случаях, однако, лечение цистита может проходить трудно.
Цистит – это воспаление внутренней поверхности мочевого пузыря. All cats are affected, regardless of breed, gender or age.
- According to the method of flow distinguish acute and chronic. The acute course of cystitis in cats has pronounced symptoms, while the clinical picture for chronic (protracted) course is blurred and ambiguous.
- According to the form of manifestation, serous-catarral, hemorrhagic and purulent are most often recorded. Differs in impurities in the urine (against the background of the main clinical signs):
- muddy mucus in serous catarrhal
- blood - with hemorrhagic and pus with purulent.
Symptoms of cystitis in cats are similar to urolithiasis. Only a specialist can be distinguished and only after a series of additional studies.
Clear signs of cystitis
- frequent urination that cannot be overlooked. And sometimes the cat starts to do this from pain not only in its tray, but where it is necessary, because the toilet begins to associate with the animal painful sensations. In chronic course, the process may become uncontrolled due to the weakening of the walls of the bladder and ureter,
- anxiety in the process of going to the toilet - meowing or a plaintive rumbling at the very end of the process due to pain in the urethra,
- bladder soreness (if you try to feel it in the perineum, the cat begins to worry, meow and break out),
- when the pet comes out of the tray, it goes as if on a half-bent, sitting slightly on its hind legs,
- blood or pus is detected in the urine, the general urine color changes to darker, some turbidity appears,
- the smell of urine can change - there is a sharp ammoniac or purulent smell,
- with a long acute course, the body temperature rises to 39 ° C, the cat becomes sluggish, depressed and refuses to eat.
The main causes of the disease
- bacterial infection (a common cause for pets older than 10 years),
- urolithiasis (a common cause for cats because of an unbalanced diet, against the background of which urinary crystals and stones form),
- long-term treatment with steroids (reduced immunity is triggered and there is a risk of inflammation),
- diabetic cystitis (in the urine of diabetic cats high concentrations of glucose and protein, which is a favorable condition for the development of bacteria),
- lack of fluid in the body (the old individuals drink very little, which is why urine in the bladder becomes more concentrated and provokes the development of bacteria),
- rare urination (in adverse conditions, cats can delay the act of urination - a dirty tray, for example, or dirty and wet on the street. The concentration of urine increases, bacteria multiply),
- feline idiopathic cystitis (a rare disease, the nature of which has not yet been analyzed in detail, is observed in cats up to 10 years old - there is nothing more than symptoms of urinary inflammation),
- stresses, injuries, prolonged pain of any location, exhaustion - in general, all that clearly affects the work of the immune system,
- abdominal trauma,
- the presence of parasites (secondary cystitis).
How to help the animal
Treatment of cystitis in cats at home is justified only with the filing of a veterinarian or under his control. Do not otpaivat cat with herbs. Help is never limited to symptomatic therapy. Obligatory condition - the elimination of the root causes, which provoked inflammation of the bladder, and without this, the disease will return again and again. It is impossible to cure a cat so that the disease does not return!
Therapy for Bladder Inflammation
- removal of spasms and pain relief (use of antispasmodics and analgesics),
- neutralization of the cause of inflammation and elimination of the bacterial component of the disease (antibiotic therapy),
- cleansing the bladder from inflammatory contents (administration of antiseptic and antibacterial fluids using a catheter),
- in the case of signs of dehydration - droppers, the duration of use of which will depend on the quality and quantity of urine.
Medicinal combinations for treatment are formed only by a veterinarian, since Some drugs may contradict each other for therapeutic effects. At best, the funds will not help, at worst, they will lead to the death of the pet!
The doctor who starts to treat without a full examination is bad, in addition to collecting general information about a patient with a mustache. Without clarifying the underlying cause, treating cystitis in cats is not advisable.
For an accurate diagnosis is necessary
- Make an ultrasound. Be sure to exclude the presence of stones and tumors.
- Pass urine and blood for analysis. Determine the sensitivity of the bacterial flora to antibiotics.
- Carry out cystoscopy or radiography (in cases of extreme necessity, because the procedures require certain skills of a specialist).
If pathogenic microflora is detected, antimicrobial therapy is required. Antibiotics for cystitis in cats is best to start taking after planting and determining the sensitivity of microorganisms to a particular drug. If the tool is chosen correctly, but the improvement does not occur, it is advisable to appoint parallel immunostimulating agents.
Symptomatic therapy is permissible only with such a feline pathology, but it is important to make sure that the animal has this particular form of the disease. Two permanent schemes are being developed - therapeutic and prophylactic. They are followed for the rest of the life of the animal. It is imperative to organize a pet favorable living conditions (proper nutrition, minimizing stress and possible hypothermia).
Conditions and cat food for the period of treatment
At the time of the fight against the ailment around the pet, all favorable conditions must be created for this. No stress and drafts - basic requirements! The place to sleep should be dry and warm. Additional heating of the litter or warming of the bladder is not required, so as not to provoke an increased development of inflammation and multiplication of bacteria.
It is better to transfer the animal to a special diet in which the amount of protein and salt will be reduced. Can be transferred to a special food for cats with cystitis, but only after prior consultation with a veterinarian, since in different stages of treatment should be your feed with a special composition. The class of feed is premium or super premium (cheap is not recommended).
If Murka refuses the finished feed, you should make your own diet: you can give any boiled meat or offal, cook porridge (wheat, buckwheat or oatmeal), add dairy products with a low percentage of fat content to 2 times a week and exclude fish (especially hake and pollock).
A list of some cat foods recommended during the treatment period for cystitis:
- Hill’s c / d Feline Urinary Stress (good for the idiopathic form of the disease),
- Hills Prescription DietTM Metabolic + Urinary Feline (weight correction and diseases of the lower urinary tract, including cystitis and the presence of stones).
- Purina Veterinary Diets UR St / Ox (for any kidney disease, bladder inflammation and urolithiasis),
- Royal Canin Urinary S / O Feline High Delution (cystitis and other urinary tract inflammations),
- Hill’s PD Feline S / D (if cystitis is triggered by urinary stones)
- Royal Canin Urinary S / O Feline Pouches (urinary tract inflammation, dissolution and prevention of urinary stone formation),
Analgesics and antispasmodics
- no-shpa (drotaverin): 0.5-1 ml intramuscularly up to 2 times a day,
- papaverine: 0.25-0.5 ml subcutaneously (sometimes in the muscle) symptomatically,
- revalgin: 0.5-1 ml per animal per muscle (injection may be painful),
- baralgin, analgin: 0.1 ml / kg symptomatically intramuscularly (not recommended for a long time).
- gentamicin (used if cystitis is not associated with kidney disease): twice a day, 2.5 mg / kg body weight (0.6 ml / 10 kg) intramuscularly for 5-7 days,
- Oxytetracycline: intravenously, subcutaneously, or into the thigh muscle 5–10 mg / kg daily for 7–10 days. Do not use young animals
- kanamycin: 1 ml / 10 kg or 100 thousand U / 10 kg twice a day for 5-7 days in a row,
- Amoxiclav: ¼ tab. / 5 kg of body weight or 12.5 mg / kg orally along with the feed weekly course,
- chloramphenicol: up to 3 times a day by mouth for 10-15 mg / kg with feed.
Bladder rinsing solutions with a catheter
- silver nitrate
- boric acid,
- sterile saline
Any solution is injected into the bladder after the release of urine using a catheter in 10-15 ml once every day (cauterwin every two days) until the first common symptoms are removed. The procedure is carried out only by a veterinary specialist.
- anandin: intramuscularly at 20 mg / kg of the body in advanced conditions, 5-10 mg / kg for prophylactic purposes,
- immunofan: in the thigh or in the withers under the skin in a dose of 1 ml once a day after 1 week for a month,
- Phosprinil: 0.2 ml / kg intramuscularly or under the skin for 3-5 days in combination with anti-inflammatory therapy of cystitis. It is possible to give inside, but then the dose is doubled.
Herbal and homeopathic remedies
- ciston: 1 / 4-1 / 2 tab. per animal, depending on size twice a day, a course of up to 4-6 months,
- cantaren - tablets for cystitis: 1 tab. morning and evening for one to two weeks with acute or 1 tab. once a day for 1-1.5 months for chronic and idiopathic,
- Kantaren in solution: daily therapeutic dose - 4 ml for one individual, divided into 2 injections at regular intervals. Treatment for acute course - 5-7 days, for chronic - up to 3 weeks with an increase in the number of injections up to 3 per day, 2 ml,
- cotviner: 2-4 ml orally at a time for one animal during the week and repeat after 3 months for the purpose of prophylaxis and 2-4 ml twice a day for a week for the purpose of treatment. It is necessary to combine treatment with symptomatic drugs and antibiotic therapy, if the case requires
- stop cystitis (see below instructions).
Stop cystitis bio (225-240 rubles / 30 ml)
The feed additive is produced in the form of a suspension with a volume of from 30 to 150 ml. There is also a dispenser in the package. It is used strictly for the purpose of the veterinarian, since even for all its naturalness, it can be harmful if it is used incorrectly or unreasonably.
The dosage is similar to Stop Cystitis in suspension: a daily volume of 4 ml in two doses for cats up to 5 kg, and 6 ml in two doses for cats more than 5 kg.
How to prevent the occurrence of cystitis
Inflammation of the bladder is very easy to prevent. Enough for this:
- minimize stressful situations for cats. If this cannot be avoided (travel, for example), then it is better to use sedatives,
- avoid hypothermia and control drafts after bathing,
- minimize traumatic risks (falls on the belly, blows),
- feed in a balanced and varied way (exclude food from the human table - spicy, spicy, smoked, fried, etc.), not give only dry food,
- drink plenty of clean water
- always keep on hand special preparations for the prevention of cystitis, after consulting with a veterinarian in advance about the dosage and frequency of courses.
Thanks for the informative article.
And if the cat has neither temperatures, nor any changes in behavior and appetite, but sits on the tray for a long time and often, in 2 days, the urine is a little off? Is it cystitis? Without a vet check can something be treated?
Hello! This may be urokamenka. To the vet immediately at home will not help! Perhaps you need to put a catheter in the urinary, eliminate the stagnation of urine and carry out serious therapeutic measures. Better safe than not to be in time!
Hello! Kotu year. For two days I didn’t walk in a small one, just sat down and walked in a few drops. We went to the doctor diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis. They prescribed 5 days of antibiotics and 3 days of no-spa and cystitis. On the second day after visiting the doctor, I started walking with blood. Two days later, it seemed to be better .. Everything was done, one pill was left and the course was over ... but again it stopped walking on a small one. It constantly sits down .. What to do?
Hello! A catheter should be inserted and urolithiasis should be treated, not cystitis. And the sooner you do this, the higher the chances of saving the cat. My advice to you is to change the vet. While you are looking for a new doctor, find and start giving Koterwin 2 ml in the morning and evening in the mouth (general course of 7-10 days). The rest of the treatment will depend on whether the catheter will be placed.
Hello! British cat 1 year. 2 months ago, I started to sit on the toilet for a long time. They took them to the veterinarians, everyone made different diagnoses: kidney inflammation, cystitis, urolithiasis. Nobody diagnosed us exactly the same way. They did ultrasounds, passed urine for tests (but each vet doctor reads these tests differently on their basis and different diagnoses were made), gave cotterwin at home, pricked antibiotics and other medicines in a wet clinic for 5 days, switched to another feed ( purine urinaria) and now after 2 months everything happened again. I do not know what to do? Our veterinarians have no confidence anymore.
Hello! What is an antibiotic and what drugs are pricked and in what dosages? How long did the course Koterwin and how much was given. What was revealed on the ultrasound? What exactly did the uzist write directly? Such complex diagnoses are not made at a distance, and more information is needed to advise on the disease and treatment regimens.
Good day! Kitty 1 year 5 months, blood was found in the urine, immediately went to the veterinarian, diagnosed cystitis, punctured an antibiotic for 5 days (which I don’t know) and no-silo, the blood did not disappear, extended the course of the antibiotic to 7 days and began to prick hemostatis, the blood disappeared, went on an ultrasound, no stones, no sand was found, the bladder wall was slightly thickened, my kidneys were normal, I finished the treatment, and the next day I started going to the toilet again with blood! Tell me, please, what to do
Hello! Hemostatic agents should have been injected from day one, blood does not disappear from antibiotics alone. To make you the correct appointment for the diagnosis, I need the name of antibiotics that were administered to the animal, otherwise nothing. It happens that an incorrect antibiotic is prescribed, which removes the acute course of the pathology and everything, after the end of the treatment, everything returns to the starting point. In addition to the antibiotic, be sure to drink Coterwin (inside - in the mouth - 2 ml in the morning and evening for 10 days) and a course of vitamin K1 (vikasol, konakion or pure viamin K1) until the bleeding stops.
Hello, I don’t know what to do, the cat is 8 years old, with 3 urolithiasis, urethroscopy was done in February. In early June, he began again to sit in a tray without getting out, put on cystitis and started, tried a bunch of antibiotics, the latter were synulox and unidox solyutab, nothing helps. Writing with blood, vikasol did not help, now we prick etamzilat. They did urine analysis for seeding, found staphylococcus and some other rubbish. Now hemorrhagic cystitis is diagnosed. The cat is emaciated terribly, although it eats well. Yes, they donated blood, surprisingly there were good results. I went the third month, my hands are already dropping.
Hello! Urinalysis handed over? It is important to understand where the blood comes from - from the kidneys or from the bladder. Bright blood - urinary, brown more - kidneys. The treatment approach should be comprehensive and have patience, because Your pet has a chronic infection and the situation is difficult due to the presence of blood.
Of the antibiotics, preference is given to the fluoroquinolone series - the best choice for kidney and urinary infections. Well, if it is, for example, oral form of enrofloxacin (through the mouth). The medicine is unbearably bitter, but by spreading it with milk, you can try to pour it into the cat's mouth (crazy salivation is unavoidable, of course - a normal reaction to bitterness). Dosage: 0.5 ml / 10 kg body weight, diluted in 2 ml of liquid (it is good to do this in a syringe) once a day. Course: 5 days.
Etamzilat and vikasol are introduced simultaneously, they complement each other perfectly. Single are appointed very rarely. Dosage: 0.1 ml / kg twice a day at regular intervals of 12 hours. Not in one syringe, but with two injections! Until persistent disappearance of blood in the urine.
Inside also start to give the solution to coterwin. In the morning and in the evening on 3 ml within 7-10 days. In a special case, you can bring up to 14 days.
Subcutaneously, you can add saline in the morning and evening to 50 ml for 2-3 days. Alas, it is not known that with the work of the kidneys and emaciation may be associated with dehydration, so no harm - that's for sure. Try to do everything in the complex, the result should be.
Urine handed over, there was a large protein 2.919. The blood in the urine is bright red, then brown. Ultrasound did, the kidneys were more or less normal. Uzista conclusion - chronic cystitis, urolithiasis. Urine completely shrank.
With such indicators of protein, renal pathology is primarily suspected. If the results of ultrasound and other studies with them are more or less in order, then only the pathologies of the bladder remain. Follow the purpose that I wrote you - chronic infections are treated only comprehensively and, alas, for a long time.
Hello! A cat of 6 years old, began to urinate often a couple of weeks ago, and it happened that she would climb and do nothing, went to the wet clinic. Uzi didn’t work in any clinic, one got an unqualified specialist, the device broke down in another. Провели осмотр, поставили цистит, 5 дней ездили на уколы (байтрил, кетофен, но-шпа, дицинон,конакион), сейчас мочится раз-два в сутки, по количеству как раньше. сдали анализ мочи, фото, к сожалению, загрузить нельзя (цвет мочи темно-желтый, мутная, белок 3, бактерии — кокки, кристаллы (/осадки) — струвиты, слизь). Назначили лечение: стоп цистит, фурагин, марену красильную, кровохлебку, канефрон).She began to urinate normally, but she didn’t like that the cat was thin and sluggish, and today for some reason her eyes began to water (I don’t know if it relates to the diagnosis).
Hello! Could the cat die so quickly? We were away for 4 days. The son looked after the cat in the morning and evening. Upon arrival, the cat went nowhere after urine. During the night I slept quietly in the morning I noticed that the tray was clean, felt the cat's belly and found a ball inside At 8 am, I was taken to the clinic, they put the catheter, the urine came out, they made 3 injections, they said to come tomorrow. It didn’t get any better. I didn’t eat the cat. I poured a little water from the syringe. I went back to the hospital, but it was too late. The day the cat was gone.
Hello, I did everything as you said, nothing helped, now the doctor has prescribed cephalexin, monurel, ciston. Vikasol and eutamsilat are also pills, he no longer suffers injections, shouts, breaks out, and after the injections he has his legs flexed, he falls. All this drink a week, the results are zero. Began to go bald, appeared bald spots (do not deprive, were checked). The doctor said that if this does not help we begin to prick hormones, there is no other way out. Hormones is very bad, or indeed the last resort, but the current? We have already exhausted ourselves, for 3 months in the house the cat is constantly wet, I have an allergy to this smell, I am desperate.
Hello! Complete the Roncoleukin course. Dosage of Roncoleukin: 10 thousand U / kg subcutaneously once a day for 5 days. But if this drug fails, then yes, only hormones remain. Another thing I would recommend is testing for tumor markers. In such a situation, when classical treatment does not help, you need to dig even deeper and check for something that is not immediately checked.
Good afternoon, tell me please, a cat is 3 years old, 4th day of sterilization, she also started having cystitis, the doctor prescribed marfloxin, I would like to know something else you need to take besides these tablets? The cat feels good in principle, the truth has become even more sleepy.
Hello! My 7-year-old cat has problems. At first I noticed that the quality of wool has changed - it has become dim, coarse and shorter than before. Upon returning from the dacha (the cat is not neutered, in the summer in free-range) began to mark much more often than before. Moreover, the impression is that he pisses where it will be. Urine is transparent, sometimes bright yellow, more often - pale yellow. The appetite is not bad, but capricious: it prefers wet food, and best of all - chicken and turkey meat. Despite this, he is not recovering, although his muscle tone is good.
An additional problem: last February, he suffered severe rhinotracheitis, complicated by pericarditis, so it is not recommended to sterilize because of the heart.
Today I decided to transfer it as a prophylaxis to medical food (pro-plan), I gave 1/2 cystones, I decided to look at the dynamics.
How dangerous is indisposition? Do I urgently need to take him to the vet?
Hello! You need to pass a biochemical analysis of blood and urine, given what diseases were in history, so as not to be mistaken with the diagnosis and not to miss serious problems. With this ambiguous state of the vet is required to attend. Based on the symptoms described, I am more inclined that my pet has kidney problems.
Cystone is a drug that I use for ICD (urolithiasis) mainly and only as an auxiliary component, and not the main therapeutic one.
Hello. Koshechka 2g 5 months. Weight 3,600. (Mother color-point, father nobleman). Approximately a month ago I noticed that the urine in the tray is darker than usual, it was written off for the fact that I work 24 hours a day and I don’t spend 26 hours at home. while the urine just spoils and gets dark, there is also a brother of the same age, they use two trays for two, categorically one for "pee", another for "poop", started to watch and after the next trip to the tray it was the cats on the grid that was scarlet blood, urine pink. Drain urine into the container, rushed to the veterinary clinic. Was assigned Nospanum 0.5V / m 3 days, Dicynonum 0.5V / m h2r / d, sinuloks 50mgh2 r / d 10 days, uro-1 URSI caps. per day 14 days, stop cystitis 2хх2р / d 10 days. Ditsinon did not prick, because after 4.5 hours after the injection made in the clinic, the cat started jerking the skin, bustling, biting herself, began to gnaw and bite as if she had fleas, nervous, hiding. I phoned the doctor and suggested an allergy. against the background of dexamethasone (1 day) and tavegil (2 days) to administer one medication. One did not have a reaction, ditsinon in the queue was the last, because I could not buy it right away ... so it was decided to give it up. After 3 days on against the background of the treatment, the urine became transparent, bright yellow in color. But at 9 the day turned pink again and there was blood on the mesh. An ultrasound was done. DS: Idiopathic cystitis, ICD - Symptoms of cystitis, urolithiasis. In a horizontal study, the presence in the cavity of the MP of individual small uroliths, increased echogenicity, with a vertical position due to a small filling of the MP (less than 10 cm3), an object of increased echogenicity that gives a strong acoustic shadow, is not visualized up to 0.55cm.
The udoist said that it might be a gut at all, but although there was a suspicion of a stone. According to the analysis, the urine struvites exist. It was prescribed vikasol 0.4 1 p / d for 3-5 days, KotErvin 2 ml 1 p / d for 7 days (I think it is not enough), cestone 1/4 t 1 r / d 7 days (probably not enough either) Medical diet (started on a sample of Monge VetSolution Cat Urinary Struvite dry and pate. The cat eats with pleasure, but the trouble is that urine instead of lightening today (4 day A new course of treatment) is quite dirty-red, such as the color of the diluted cherry juice. The urination appears to be painless and free, in sufficient quantity e. Your opinion as a specialist in prescriptions and diagnoses. From the ICD for a child (we have them for 2.5 months — only naturalka special cooking — frozen beef, boiled chicken breast, turkey, buckwheat, rice, vegetables, rarely fruits, sour milk, quail eggs, chicken boiled offal, rarely frozen chicken neck), there is no stress, they are allowed everything, we don’t beat them, we don’t beat, they live in love and caress in a warm apartment .. What can you advise on treatment and feeding, is it proper, dosage, Can I add something else? The next trick is only after 4 days the doctor
Hello! With such a clinical picture, it is imperative to pass a biochemical blood test and make an ultrasound of the kidneys. Blood in the urine can be not only with cystitis, but also with renal pathologies. I do not understand why nowhere about the kidneys was not at all. The treatment you are assigned to the usual, classic with cystitis. By the way, with renal pathologies, glucocorticoids can be harmful (I saw dexamethasone in your appointments). To make corrections to the treatment regimen, I need to know what's up with the kidneys.
Hello. Little cat in a week will be a year. Slept on the windowsill several times, it was cool. Then she noticed that she was loudly walking into the tray (the stream is very audible). But I went as usual. One morning, she noticed that she began to walk in a drop and literally every couple of minutes. Immediately go to the vet. 1/4 furodonine and stop cystitis suspension were prescribed. We are treated for two days. The cat does not complain of pain, but still walks very often. Not a drop, but little by little. How long do symptoms persist? Maybe I can somehow help her?
Hello. They picked up the discarded cat, took it to the vet, passed tests and did an ultrasound, they said cystitis. First prescribed pills (including stop cystitis), gave a week. For two weeks now they have been using cerebrolysate and prozerin, and today blood has appeared in the urine after injections. There are few improvements. We do not know what to do.
2-3 months) the cat (age 5 years) began to write "standing" or, as it were, marking, but only in the tray (the problem is due to the fact that it pours the side and behind the side on the floor). Writing more often than before, but the amount of urine is normal. Going to the toilet is not accompanied by meowing, the stomach allows you to calmly touch, the appetite and activity are in order. The problem is already 2 months. What should I look for at home to understand? Do I need to go to the vet?
Hello, the cat problem, could not go to the pot for a small (Maine Coon 4 years kontirirovanny, eats dry food prutyur) drove the veterinary hospital said urinary full and need to put a catheter, did not take any tests, did not do an ultrasound, lowered urine bright blood, urolithiasis was diagnosed, coterwin was prescribed 4 ml 2 times a day for 7 days, and the feed was abandoned, it was removed from anesthesia for almost 24 hours during which time it was inscribed 4 times, the urine was clear without blood, the next day ate twice a day just after the floor gave tabl etoshki noshpy, water drinks, eats, what do you say is enough for him of such treatment, or to take him to another clinic?
And a little about the secrets.
The story of one of our readers Irina Volodina:
My eyes were especially frustrating, surrounded by large wrinkles plus dark circles and swelling. How to remove wrinkles and bags under the eyes completely? How to cope with swelling and redness? But nothing is so old or young man as his eyes.
But how to rejuvenate them? Plastic surgery? I found out - no less than 5 thousand dollars. Hardware procedures - photorejuvenation, gas-liquid pilling, radio lifting, laser facelift? Slightly more accessible - the course is 1.5-2 thousand dollars. And when to find all this time? Yes, and still expensive. Especially now. Therefore, for myself, I chose another way.
Signs of disease
Manifestations of idiopathic cystitis are not specific and are common to many urological disorders:
- frequent urination,
- severe pain when trying to urinate,
- tiny portions of urine in the wrong places,
- blood in the urine (discharge brown),
- urine retention
- decrease or lack of appetite
- deterioration of the type of coat,
- excessive grooming in the genital area, lower abdomen,
- disorders of the digestive system (vomiting, diarrhea),
- nervousness, fearfulness.
Similar symptoms in urolithiasis, urinary tract infections. Since there is no way to prove idiopathic cystitis using research, this diagnosis is made by exclusion. If all possible diseases with similar symptoms are crossed out, including oncology of the urinary system, then they speak of idiopathic cystitis.
The disease is characterized by sudden onset and acute course: from 1 to 7 days. Symptoms may go away without treatment. Symptoms usually recur after a while.
In the analysis of urine reveal hematuria (a huge number of red blood cells). To exclude infection, bacteriological examination of urine is carried out - sowing on nutrient media. For such an analysis, a sample of the material must be obtained sterile, by cystocentesis - puncture of the bladder through the abdominal wall. Although this procedure is carried out without anesthesia, it has not yet become routine in veterinary clinics in Russia.
If cystitis recurs, seeding is necessary. It is also recommended for all animals over 10 years old and for cats with impaired immunity:
- steroid hormone treatment.
Ultrasound and radiography can detect stones and sand in the urinary tract, assess the thickness and tone, fullness of the bladder.
In exceptional cases, contrast radiography or urethrocystoscopy may be required, most often if neoplasia is suspected.
Although in 8 cases out of 10 the symptoms of cystitis will pass by themselves, the task of the doctor is to alleviate the symptoms of the acute period to the animal. Apply:
- antispasmodics (Drotaverine, Papaverine),
- painkillers (butorphanol, meloxicam).
When blocking the urethra and urination disorders use alpha-blockers (Terazosin, Prazosin), which relax the internal bladder sphincter and the urethral canal.
Treatment for the long term implies a change in conditions of detention. Eliminate the cause of stress is necessary to avoid the recurrence of the disease. Idiopathic cystitis does not apply to problems that can be solved by taking medication.
Cats based on feline pheromones may be useful. The drug Felivia in the form of a diffuser or spray stabilizes the psychological state of the cat, with no side effects and contraindications. An analogue of a substance secreted by the facial glands of a cat will give a pet a signal: "there is nothing to worry about."
Reduce the risk of developing depression and reduce stress supplementation with alpha-casezepine (derived from casein, milk protein) and L-tryptophan (the amino acid from which serotonin, the hormone of happiness, is formed). There are industrial complete diets, which include both harmless substances:
Such a diet is suitable for long-term feeding of a cat with idiopathic cystitis, if the associated problems are not observed:
Prevention is to provide the cat with conditions that satisfy its basic instinctive needs:
The cat should have a shelter where no one will disturb her. This may be a house or a box, a closet shelf, a mezzanine - if the animal likes to sleep on high ground.
Bowl with food should not be on the aisle. If there are several animals in the house, it is necessary to exclude competition for food.
The tray is placed in a quiet, secluded place where no one can disturb the cat. It is recommended to provide the pet with the opportunity to dig filler. The tray is kept clean by removing feces and regularly disinfecting plastic.
The older a cat becomes, the more important it is to stimulate its hunting instincts. Gradually, the animal in the apartment gets tired of monotony and becomes inactive. The owner should play with the pet every day. Interactive bowls-bowls and other puzzles, from which the cat must “get” food, can be useful.
In addition to psychological comfort, it is important to keep the animal in good physical shape.
In addition to avoiding obesity, they seek to dilute urine. A decrease in urine density has a positive effect on the treatment of cystitis and is extremely important for the prevention of relapses. Less concentrated urine does not irritate the damaged bladder wall as much.
You can increase the amount of water you drink by switching from dry to canned food. For drinking offer water with flavors and an attractive aroma: shrimp decoction, tuna juice. Many cats prefer running water, in which case a drinking fountain should be installed.
To dilute the urine apply special diets:
- Royal Canin Urinary S / O Feline High Delution,
- Purina Veterinary Diets UR St / Ox - Urinary Feline,
- Eukanuba Urinary Struvite Feline,
- Hill’s PD Feline C / D or S / D.
You should avoid situations that cause cat discomfort. If stress is inevitable (birth of a child, change of owners, moving to a new home), the cat can be prepared for it in advance:
- 10-30 days before the event, the animal is transferred to RC Calm feed and continue to give it for another 2-3 months.
- During a stressful situation, use Feliway, and for particularly disturbing individuals, the use of antidepressants is justified.
Tricyclic antidepressants are relatively safe, although they cause side effects - drowsiness, physical inactivity. Cats are widely used amitriptyline inside or intramuscularly.
The word "idiopathic" in the name of the disease implies that its cause is not completely clear. It is only known that a significant role in the occurrence of the disease is played by a psychological factor, stress.
Veterinarians agree that it is completely impossible to cure idiopathic cystitis of cats, the predisposed animal's risk of relapse persists throughout life.
Much depends on how much the owner is ready to change his habits and lifestyle for the sake of the cat. When creating favorable conditions, cystitis may return rarely or never.
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription