Short description: Marfloksin - an antibacterial drug, the active ingredient of which is marbofloxacin - a fluoroquinolone antibiotic with a fairly wide spectrum of bactericidal activity. It is destructive for pathogenic microorganisms such as Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii, Salmonella typhimurium, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Morganella morganii, Proteus spp, Shigella spp, Klebsiella spp, Pasteurella spp, Moraxella, and you will be the first person in the first place, as well as, and Staphylococci, Mycoplasma spp, Streptococci. The drug is prescribed for therapy in cats and dogs of diseases of the respiratory, digestive, urinary system, skin and soft tissues, which were caused by pathogenic microbes that are sensitive to the action of marbofloxacin. Also used a drug for the treatment of infected wounds of different origin and the prevention of postoperative purulent complications. According to the degree of toxicity, the antibiotic belongs to the group of low-hazard compounds.
For whom: pills are given to kittens that are 2 months old and puppies at least 12 months old, as well as to adult cats and dogs.
Vacation form: Marfloksin is available in the form of round white tablets containing 5, 20 or 80 mg of active marbofloxacin. Tablets are packed in polymer blisters and cardboard boxes.
Dosage: the drug is given to animals once a day in crushed form with food, or fed by laying a pill on the root of the tongue. Therapeutic dosage for cats and dogs of any breed is 2 mg per kilogram of weight. The minimum duration of antibiotic therapy is 5 days, with respiratory tract infections, it can increase up to 28 days, with urinary system pathology - up to 21 days, and with purulent lesions of the skin or soft tissues - up to 40 days.
Limitations: Marfloksin is contraindicated in kittens up to two months of age and puppies up to 12 weeks (for large breeds of dogs, the limit is 18 months), as well as animals that have previously had allergies to fluoroquinolone antibiotics. It is not recommended to simultaneously prescribe a drug with iron and calcium preparations, as well as with tetracyclines, macrolides and chloramphenicol. The use of therapeutic doses of the drug may cause dyspeptic disorders in animals (vomiting, flatulence, stool softening), which pass without specific treatment.
Release form and composition of the drug
Slovenian drug is available in the following versions:
- clear solution for injection (glass bottles for 20, 50 and 100 ml),
- round or capsule-shaped tablets in a blister containing 2, 6 or 10 pieces (the current dosage is 5, 20 and 80 mg of the active substance).
The color of the injection solution varies from brownish yellow to greenish yellow, and tablets from brown to yellow with the presence of light and dark blotches. Convenient recess in the center of the tablet allows you to divide it into halves.
- mannitol - 30 mg,
- gluconolactone - 16mg
- metacresol - 2 mg
- water - 1 ml
- monothioglycerol - 0.5 mg,
- disodium salt - 0.1 mg.
The tablets contain meat flavor. Thanks to the delicious smell, the animal takes medicine more readily.
The drug belongs to the group of fluoroquinolones and has a broad spectrum of bactericidal action.
In addition to the aromatic additive and marbofloxacin tablets contain the following components:
- Castor oil,
- yeast powder
- magnesium salt of stearic acid,
Indications for use and mechanism of action
Marfloksin used in the treatment of:
- Infections of the urinary tract and respiratory system.
- Infected wounds and purulent inflammations.
- Damaged soft tissue and skin infections.
- Gastric and intestinal diseases.
- Wound infections that occur after surgery.
When ingested the main active substance:
- quickly absorbed into the internal organs and tissues, inhibiting bacterial enzymes for 2 hours after ingestion,
- prevents blood poisoning, accelerating the healing of existing wounds,
- fully excreted after 13 hours with feces.
Marfloksin is not dangerous and is allowed in the treatment of kittens that have reached 2 months.
Instructions for use
Features of use and the amount of the drug depends on its type and cause of the disease:
- Injection. The solution is administered intravenously or subcutaneously. Its amount depends on the weight of the pet (1 ml of the substance per 1 kg of weight). The duration of therapy depends entirely on the prescription of the attending physician.
- Pills. The drug is given in its original form or is crushed and served with the feed 1 time per day (2 mg per 1 kg). Treatment lasts from 5 to 40 days. The maximum period is prescribed for purulent lesions.
If the medication is missed, there will be a loss of therapeutic effect. In this case, a single case is allowed considering the continuation of treatment with the recommended dosage.
Please note that pregnant and lactating cats taking the drug is contraindicated.
Contraindications for cats and dogs
Taking marfloxin is not recommended for:
- individual intolerance of the components,
- lactation and pregnancy
- less than 2 months old
- CNS diseases,
- parallel medication with tetracycline, iron, chloramphenicol, calcium and macrolides.
- the appearance of a tumor at the injection site,
- allergic reaction,
- bradycardia, which reduces heartbeat and causes general weakness.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The medicine is kept away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store at temperatures above 25 ° C, below 5 ° C and near food. The opened package with the solution is stored no more than 28 days.
Unused drug is disposed of in accordance with the requirements of the legislation.
If the storage rules are observed, marfloxin tablets are valid for 2 years from the date of its production, and the injection solution will last longer - 3 years.
If the medication is swallowed or an allergy occurs, consult a doctor immediately and do not forget to take the attached instructions.
Price and analogues of the drug marfloksin
Among the analogues prescribe the antibiotic baytril, produced in the form of injection solution. Despite the lower cost (100 ml of the solution will cost 350 rubles.) The drug has more contraindications and is not suitable for all animals.
The cost of the drug varies from 300 to 1000 rubles and depends on:
- choice of veterinary pharmacy,
- medication forms
- location of the region.
Injection solutions with a volume of 100 ml have the highest price.
Marfloksin - a new drug that appeared on the market in 2016. The rather high cost is justified by the speed of the action and the effective result. Moreover, the lack of analogues leaves no chance to choose a worthy competitor, allowing the manufacturer to set the desired prices.
Cautions on the use of drugs containing marbofloxacin
Caution should be used marfloxin in cats and dogs With known or suspected disorders of the central nervous system, including epilepsy, serious side effects have been reported in some cats and dogs. This pharmacological drug should not be used in cats with known sensitivity to other quinolones. The safety of marbofloxacin when breeding cats and dogs has not been established.
On the background use of marfloxin in kittens and puppies developed arthropathy. Retinopathy for marbofloxacin in cats and dogs did not develop even when the dose was exceeded ten times more than the recommended dose. Retinopathies are described with enrofloxacin.
Dose of marbofloxacin for dogs and cats. Dosage and administration of marfloxin to small animals
The recommended dose is 2.75-5.5 mg / kg orally every 24 hours for 5-10 days. Sometimes with some chronic infections, a longer application is required. For subcutaneous administration, dose of marfloxin to dogs and cats makes 2 mg / kg of weight. For intravenous infusion, use a dose of marbofloxacin for dogs and cats. 2 mg / kg weight. The drug is diluted with 20-100 ml of 5% glucose solution, infusion is carried out within 1-2 hours. With the rapid introduction of intravenous collapse possible!
Always follow the dosage instructions from your veterinarian. Be sure to use all the medications prescribed by your doctor, your pet may feel good, but the infection may reappear or the general condition may worsen if the dose of marfloxin is missed.
Missed dose of marbofloxacin based veterinary drugs
If the dose of marbofloxacin (Zeniquin, marfloxin) is missed, give it as soon as you remember it. If you remember that it is time for the next dose of marfloxin, skip the forgotten dose and return to your regular schedule. Do not double the dosage without consulting your doctor.
Possible side effects of the drug for veterinary medicine Marbofloxacin
Mild side effects that may occur include:
- loss of appetite
- decreased activity
Less likely, but more serious side effects include:
- seizures of a neurological nature
- behavior changes
You should immediately stop taking marbofloxacin and contact a veterinarian if you think your dog or cat has any health problems or side effects while taking a drug for veterinary medicine - Marfloxin. Please note that other side effects may occur.
Do not prescribe the drug to pets that are allergic to marbofloxacin, Marbofloxacin (Zeniquin). If your pet has any allergic reactions to medications, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
Do not use veterinary drugs on the basis of marbofloxacin in pregnant, lactating or breeding animals. Marfloxin should not be administered to animals with CNS (central nervous system) disorders, such as epilepsy, a drug of this group can trigger generalized convulsions.
Do not use in pets less than 12 months old. Marbofloxacin (marfloksin) in puppies and kittens can cause problems in the development of bones / joints, especially during growth.
Be careful when giving to pets that have liver or kidney disease.
Make sure your pet has free access to clean drinking water if it is prescribed. veterinary drug marfloksin.
Human precautions: people who are allergic to quinolone antibiotics, such as ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin, should not have contact with drugs whose active ingredient is 3rd-generation fluoroquinolone - marbofloxacin, the photosensitivity reaction can occur only in direct contact with the above pharmacological preparations .
The storage location of the drug Marfloxin for veterinary medicine.
Store at temperatures below 86 ° F and keep out of the reach of children.
Consult your veterinarian, giving other medications with marbofloxacin, interactions may occur. Compounds containing divalent and trivalent cations can interfere with the absorption of quinolones. For intravenous infusions of Marbofloxacin, it is required to dilute the drug in solutions for intravenous infusion. Marfloksin must be diluted with 5% glucose solution, as it precipitates when dissolved with any salt cretalloid preparations.
Signs of toxicity / overdose
An overdose of marbofloxacin can lead to:
- Lack of appetite
- Dilated pupils or blindness (in cats)
If you suspect or know that your dog or cat had an overdose, please contact your veterinarian or veterinary clinic around the clock.
- Albarellos G.A. et al. Pharmacokinetics of marbofloxacin after single intravenous and oral oral administration to cats // Vet. J. - 2005. - Vol. 170 (2). - P. 222-229.
- Biswas S. et al. Molecular mechanisms of Bartonella henselae resistance to azithromycin, pradofloxacin and enrofloxacin // J. Antimicrob. Chemother. - 2010. - Vol. 65 (3). - p. 581-582.
- Farca A.M. et al. In vitro antimicrobial activity of marbofloxacin and enrofloxacin against bacterial strains // Schweiz. Arch. Tierheilkd. - 2007. - Vol. 149 (6). - P. 265-271.
- Ishak A.M. et al. Marbofloxacin infection in cats for experimentally induced Mycoplasma haemofelis infection in cats // J. Vet. Intern. Med. - 2008. - Vol. 22 (2). - P. 288-292.
- Litster A. et al. Clinical efficacy and palatability of pradofloxacin 2.5% oral urinary tract extracts in bacteria // J. Vet. Intern. Med. - 2007. - 21 (5). - P. 990-995.
- Spindel M.E. et al. Evaluation of pradofloxacin for the treatment of feline rhinitis // J. Feline. Med. Surg. - 2008. - Vol. 10 (5). - P. 472-479.
- Tasker S. et al. The effect of chronic FIV infection, and the efficacy of marbofloxacin treatment, on Mycoplasma haemofelis infection // Vet. Microbiol. - 2006. - Vol. 117 (2-4). - P.169-179.
Good to know
© VetConsult +, 2016. All rights reserved. The use of any materials posted on the site is permitted provided the link to the resource. When copying or partially using materials from the pages of the site, it is necessary to place a direct hyperlink to search engines located in the subtitle or in the first paragraph of the article.